Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

They're on the church marquee as the Be Sharps, despite the fact that they haven't fired Wiggum and picked a name yet.

Boy, I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Empty Sandwich posted:

They're on the church marquee as the Be Sharps, despite the fact that they haven't fired Wiggum and picked a name yet.

“My barbershop quartet is also called The Be Sharps.”

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Empty Sandwich posted:

I kind of wonder how many people actually got the joke behind the name as you really have to have a knowledge of playing music to actually get it.

Meanwhile, giving Disneyplus a go and oh boy does the cropping look absolutely awful. Its obviously just a zoom in job with no remastering at all and gently caress it looks blurry and poo poo.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Nutsngum posted:

I kind of wonder how many people actually got the joke behind the name as you really have to have a knowledge of playing music to actually get it.

Your underestimatition of audience intelligence is big enough to write for new Simpsons

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I only got it when I started learning how to play the bass last year at age 28. And you know what, that's okay, not every joke has to be for everyone. That's what makes old Simpsons so good, you can watch it again years later and notice a gag or joke that you missed the first time around.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Nutsngum posted:

I found it witty at first but it seemed less funny each time I heard it

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

pitch a fitness posted:

I found it witty at first but it seemed less funny each time I heard it

[repeats the name twice]

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

The C’s

Homer’s barbershop quarter is named The Cunts

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Empty Sandwich posted:

Never noticed the joke that they didn't put the R in "Friend" but put one in "The Be Sharps."

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Plan Z posted:

Never noticed the joke that they didn't put the R in "Friend" but put one in "The Be Sharps."

holy poo poo, I did not get that. I just assumed Bart stole it. :regd13: thank you

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Empty Sandwich posted:

holy poo poo, I did not get that. I just assumed Bart stole it. :regd13: thank you

Thinking about it, it was probably just someone like Bart stealing it.

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES
Tonight on The Simpsons, Homer does his best to make a sense of the sometimes bizarre and mostly meaningless events that happen in his life, all while getting the family back together. One such event is trying on a wig made of his dead neighbor Barney, and eventually manages to sell the "Ted Violetta wig" to Paris Hilton.

Although Lisa explains the experiment to Homer, he believes the wig is fake and so buys it and rides off to New York to meet Paris. Lisa also gets a piece of a severed head from the street which hangs on the window of her apartment

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Hopkins FBI posted:

Tonight on The Simpsons, Homer does his best to make a sense of the sometimes bizarre and mostly meaningless events that happen in his life, all while getting the family back together. One such event is trying on a wig made of his dead neighbor Barney, and eventually manages to sell the "Ted Violetta wig" to Paris Hilton.

Although Lisa explains the experiment to Homer, he believes the wig is fake and so buys it and rides off to New York to meet Paris. Lisa also gets a piece of a severed head from the street which hangs on the window of her apartment

That's very accurate newsimp, except Lisa would be... Oh let's say moe

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Lol too hack for later years simpsons?

That actually boggles the mind.

The Skinner wig thing was one of those early season 1/2 ideas that never came back

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Improbable Lobster posted:

The Skinner wig thing was one of those early season 1/2 ideas that never came back

Also him mispronouncing words. I’m glad they got rid of both of those things early. Boring mama’s boy with PTSD made for a much funnier character.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
For some reason they did a Treehouse of Horror for Thanksgiving.

The first one is "A-Gobble-Lypto", an Apocalypto parody. The Simpsons are turkeys. Turkey Maude gets her head violently blown off by the cops, dressed as pilgrims. A bunch of turkeys get captured, pilgrim Milhouse freaks out when grandpa turkey's head gets cut off and his body runs around, so he starts a fire. Wiggum chases the Simpsons into a cave where a bear mauls him.

Then they had a Black Mirror parody. It's that Christmas episode where Jon Hamm makes an AI copy of a lady into a virtual assistant. Marge is an AI trapped by Homer and he trains her to do all the cooking. Real Marge is creeped out by the existence of a copy of her and also jealous of her cooking skill. Real Marge demands Homer delete AI Marge after Thanksgiving. AI Marge overhears the plan, and escapes through the internet. Homer turns out to be a robot.

The last one was a sci-fi story where the kids are woken up before the parents on a long-term starship ride. For ... some loving reason they want to make a Thanksgiving meal and they throw cranberry sauce in the matter replicator, which for some reason turns it alive and it sucks out Milhouse's arm bones. It sucks Nelsons skeleton out through his mouth. Then it kills the rest of the kids. Milhouse does the "Game Over MAN" freak out speech. Bart and Lisa blow it out the airlock, crash the ship, and eat the jelly monster with planet's natives.

Episode sucked real bad no reason to do it.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Then they had a Black Mirror parody. It's that Christmas episode where Jon Hamm makes an AI copy of a lady into a virtual assistant. Marge is an AI trapped by Homer and he trains her to do all the cooking. Real Marge is creeped out by the existence of a copy of her and also jealous of her cooking skill. Real Marge demands Homer delete AI Marge after Thanksgiving. AI Marge overhears the plan, and escapes through the internet. Homer turns out to be a robot.

I caught a couple of minutes of this one. Holy poo poo Marge actually sounds like that Bart faking her voice on tape gag from long ago. It's genuinely uncomfortable listening to her strain to say anything and emote. Please retire.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

PostNouveau posted:

The first one is "A-Gobble-Lypto", an Apocalypto parody.

This movie's really not iconic enough for you to do a parody 13 years later.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

PostNouveau posted:

The first one is "A-Gobble-Lypto", an Apocalypto parody. The Simpsons are turkeys. Turkey Maude gets her head violently blown off by the cops, dressed as pilgrims. A bunch of turkeys get captured, pilgrim Milhouse freaks out when grandpa turkey's head gets cut off and his body runs around, so he starts a fire. Wiggum chases the Simpsons into a cave where a bear mauls him.

The last one was a sci-fi story where the kids are woken up before the parents on a long-term starship ride. For ... some loving reason they want to make a Thanksgiving meal and they throw cranberry sauce in the matter replicator, which for some reason turns it alive and it sucks out Milhouse's arm bones. It sucks Nelsons skeleton out through his mouth. Then it kills the rest of the kids. Milhouse does the "Game Over MAN" freak out speech. Bart and Lisa blow it out the airlock, crash the ship, and eat the jelly monster with planet's natives.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Before I was just bored with their antics and their merchandise. Now I wish they were dead.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
What was the last good Treehouse of Horror?

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
This was the last episode to air which had Russi Taylor voice Martin. Now it's on to a second generation of voice actors, beginning to fulfill Don Hertzfeld's prophecy.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

happyhippy posted:

What was the last good Treehouse of Horror?

There's too much depressing new simpsons poo poo in the what was the lowest point of simpsons thread.

What was the BEST Treehouse of Horror? Too much quality to narrow it down to 1... what was the top 3?

Number 1 is easily 4 with me. The gremlin, Mr. Burns Vampire, and Flanders Devil all in one episode like god drat.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Wirth1000 posted:

Number 1 is easily 4 with me. The gremlin, Mr. Burns Vampire, and Flanders Devil all in one episode like god drat.

Sure.
Didn't like the Gremlin one, other two are definitely the best.
For me its definitely 6. The Shining and the Cafeteria canibalism one.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Wirth1000 posted:

There's too much depressing new simpsons poo poo in the what was the lowest point of simpsons thread.

What was the BEST Treehouse of Horror? Too much quality to narrow it down to 1... what was the top 3?

I liked the "even more space dust"

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I think it was in the bone storm episode where Homer yells at Bart "why did you think I took you to all those Police Academy movies? For fun? Well I didn't hear anybody laughing, did you?" I hadn't seen any of those movies, I thought the joke was that the movies are comedies and Homer's an idiot. I saw a couple of them recently, it turns out the joke was they're not actually funny

Also bringing back Maude to kill her again for laughs is super gross, what the hell

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

This was the last episode to air which had Russi Taylor voice Martin. Now it's on to a second generation of voice actors, beginning to fulfill Don Hertzfeld's prophecy.
code:
STILL LOVE YOU, HOMAR

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

bandaid.friend posted:

I think it was in the bone storm episode where Homer yells at Bart "why did you think I took you to all those Police Academy movies? For fun? Well I didn't hear anybody laughing, did you?" I hadn't seen any of those movies, I thought the joke was that the movies are comedies and Homer's an idiot. I saw a couple of them recently, it turns out the joke was they're not actually funny

Also bringing back Maude to kill her again for laughs is super gross, what the hell

I always took it as a double sided joke. Both that Homer is too dumb to realize that they're supposed to be comedies and a knock at the movies themselves for being so unfunny that they could be mistaken for not comedies.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I really liked the first two, particularly Homer's rendition of The Raven and "Dad, you killed zombie Flanders!" "...He was a zombie?" in Dial Z for Zombies.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

Then they had a Black Mirror parody.

I've been a fan of Charlie Brooker for 3 decades or so and I suspect if you told him 25 years ago the Simpsons would parody him he would tell you to gently caress right off. It still boggles my mind (in a good way) that he has become such a famous writer and misanthrope. I used to love his comics from way back then about being a horrible person (he drew them himself too)

Anyway I wonder what he thinks of the Simpsons now. And how he feels about that parody.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
With that Thanksgiving episode, it's time to remember a classic episode:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holidays_of_Future_Passed

quote:

After stuffing themselves with turkey on Thanksgiving, it is time to take the annual Christmas card family photo, and when Bart and Lisa complain about it, Marge notes that they will grow to appreciate the photos when they become older and have children of their own. Lisa questions why Marge would assume they will even have children in the first place while Bart confidently claims that he won't, desiring for the Simpson family's legacy of dysfunction to cease. The episode jumps thirty years into the future via a series of Simpsons Christmas cards.

quote:

During the segment in question, set in Milhouse and Lisa's future home, Milhouse tells Lisa that he has started to feel the symptoms of his seasonal allergies now that Christmas has arrived. He is apparently allergic to Christmas-related things such as holly, mistletoe, and the red part of candy cane. Lisa advises Milhouse to go and stay in Michigan over the holidays, where Christmas is not celebrated because it is "still under sharia law.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

happyhippy posted:

Sure.
Didn't like the Gremlin one, other two are definitely the best.
For me its definitely 6. The Shining and the Cafeteria canibalism one.

:same:

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
So do they just do 3 part horror episodes for every holiday now or something

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

https://twitter.com/AlJean/status/1199005775550660608

lol

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Wow, officially the funniest thing Al Jean has said or done in 25 years

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Improbable Lobster posted:

Kind of like Matt Groening's idea that underneath her tall hair... Marge is secretly... A LIFE IN HELL RABBIT!!!! (this is 100% real)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Kind of like Matt Groening's idea that underneath her tall hair... Marge is secretly... A LIFE IN HELL RABBIT!!!! (this is 100% real)

Also Homer was Krusty the Clown

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

PostNouveau posted:

:yeshaha:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

PostNouveau posted:

I'm seeing double here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I finally watched the "Last Days of Phil Hartman" documentary. The Simpsons died with him.