Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

DB Pooper posted:

hows the food

Touching

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

DB Pooper posted:

hows the food

mediocre-average

amethystdragon
Sep 14, 2019

tinytort posted:

Not if you're going to try and get a mortgage on it, because you don't have 20k just sitting around in your bank. Source: tried to get a mortgage for a used trailer, rather than having to buy a brand-new one, and watched the bank rep do their level best not to just laugh me and my then-partner out of the room. Followed by them giving us a pamphlet for the brand of trailers that bank prefers working with.

Sounds like you need a new bank.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

crazypeltast52 posted:

For 20k you can also find a used 3br/2ba single-wide, so I still don’t see how tiny houses are anything but manufactured homes for the instagram/youtube set.

Also how do you get a splitter on the water/sewer hookup to fit 3 on a pad?

mobile homes are cheap because you still have to lease the land (if you're in a proper park or want water/sewer/electricity) and that gets expensive

tiny houses are technically RVs and be parked anywhere you can set them down. They'll still end up being cheaper than a mobile home in the long run

amethystdragon
Sep 14, 2019

FCKGW posted:

mobile homes are cheap because you still have to lease the land (if you're in a proper park or want water/sewer/electricity) and that gets expensive

tiny houses are technically RVs and be parked anywhere you can set them down. They'll still end up being cheaper than a mobile home in the long run

If memory serves you want to make sure to own the land rather then rent because land owners can charge more rent and have renters over the barrel if they cannot afford to move.
(Some research article/video I'm remembering having read/watched but not enough to reference)

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

amethystdragon posted:

If memory serves you want to make sure to own the land rather then rent because land owners can charge more rent and have renters over the barrel if they cannot afford to move.
(Some research article/video I'm remembering having read/watched but not enough to reference)

Last Week Tonight did an episode about them earlier this year.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Immobile Homes”

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

peanut posted:

mediocre-average

Me too.

Outstanding.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Let's see how I'm doing in my ongoing education of safety:
1. You should not use splitters as a long term solution.
2. Uninsulated wires.
3. I dunno what the pipe is for but it should not be there.

How am I doing?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

By popular demand posted:

Let's see how I'm doing in my ongoing education of safety:
1. You should not use splitters as a long term solution.
2. Uninsulated wires.

How am I doing?

This is a good joke but please don't skip over the obvious thing, people might be taking this seriously.

IEC 2076: Brown plugs must not be used as they are ugly

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm going to assume that the walls really actually are cardboard lmao

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I hate how the installer lost one of the yellow wire caps thingy and just did the thing anyway

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

By popular demand posted:

That box used to have a disconnect switch in it. That "pipe" is part of the handle on the right and was used to flip the disconnect mechanism on and off without opening the box.

I'm actually impressed that someone who would do something this bad had the foresight to know how bad it was and put it in a box. Rather than showing incompetence it betrays a wanton attitude of giving no fucks.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Motronic posted:

That box used to have a disconnect switch in it. That "pipe" is part of the handle on the right and was used to flip the disconnect mechanism on and off without opening the box.

I'm actually impressed that someone who would do something this bad had the foresight to know how bad it was and put it in a box. Rather than showing incompetence it betrays a wanton attitude of giving no fucks.

Maybe the person believed following mystic rituals such as putting the electric connections into the juju box would do the trick. After all, what is electricity if not magic? :science:

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Motronic posted:

It's like a gameshow where they take somebody with a modicum of electrical knowledge and give them a shoebox full of garbage and give them 30 minutes to wire up a shed.

I especially like that the one (inadvertent) safety feature is the power strip switch, and it's 1/2 inch from an uncovered hot wire splice.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I'm the festive holiday power strip

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

At least one of the plugs is grounded!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

So's the electrician when his mum finds out

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

nullscan posted:

At least one of the plugs is grounded!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon posted:

Found in a crawlspace of a house from the 80's next to 3 red boxes encased in concrete (pic in comments)

Editor’s note: I have linked the photos for dramatic effect:

One

Two

‘‘The "lid" with the radioactive sticker on it was found sitting on the top of that concrete slab. The red you can see is 3 metal boxes encased in 18" of concrete with another layer of cinder blocks on top of it.’’

‘‘Ok quick blanket update for everyone: it's not my house and I was over there last night when we found the boxes. I posted this morning and after getting all the warning messages I have contacted my friend who owns the house and forwarded all the warnings and highly recommend he contacted some of the agencies you have recommended. I will be in the mountains and out of service for a good chunk of the day, but I will do a follow-up with the friend when I get back and keep you all updated. I appreciate all the advice and information and can only hope it is nothing too serious because I definitely fondled that lid for a good amount of time.’’

Editor’s note: Remind me to hire a home inspector who uses radiation meters.

Update on this:

quote:

Ok guys, heres the wrap up to this whole fiasco.

I want to start this off by saying please stop conting my local police department, fire department, the nrc, FBI, and any other of the various agencies you all have been contacting. The people that need to know are well aware of the situation and it has now been handled. At this point the calls and reports are starting to take up valuable time that all of these agencies need to be spending on better things. Thank you.

As of today a 3 man team from the state of Utah department of environmental quality, division of waste management and radiation control, uranium Mills and radioactive materials section (holy poo poo) showed up at my friend's house around 10am and spent a few hours taking readings, swabbing samples and asking questions and after all of that, found nothing but natural trace amounts of radon.
The "lid" they think was from the late 1950's and was unrelated to the "vault".

They had no idea what the "vault" was for and they think it was for storing valuables.

Here are pictures of the empty vault: nothing but a piece of thin sheetrock in the middle one.

As for the lid, one of the crew members asked what my friend wanted to do with it. He said with as much of a hassle it caused him, he'd rather not have it. They said they thought it was a cool piece of history so he let them have it. They would appreciate it much more than he would.

And that's it. After spending the last two days thinking we were on our way to death's door, getting half the government looking our way, causing my friend to miss work and loads of undue stress. That's it. Thanks everyone.

To the people that posted some genuinely concerned and thoughtful posts and advice, thank you all especially. There's some really good people out there.

Have a great week everyone. https://imgur.com/nGEJHha.jpg https://imgur.com/dvkKlpn.jpg https://imgur.com/f6OcDx2.jpg https://imgur.com/ATu9qQM.jpg https://imgur.com/uBlB7Ok.jpg https://imgur.com/i1cxlXY.jpg

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

fuckin MiB got to him

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
That sheetrock looks just like asbestos

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

quote:

The "lid" they think was from the late 1950's and was unrelated to the "vault".

It sounds like something my dad, and most dads, would do for a joke.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

peanut posted:

Protip: if you think a novelty hand grenade paperweight is hilarious, don't forget that you left it in the attic when asking your father to find something there in your absence.

Don't ask me how I know this.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

peanut posted:

Sounds like a great way to protect your valuables.

Then again, anyone dumb enough to be doing B&Es probably wouldn't be stopped by a radiation warning.

Shut up Meg posted:

Protip: if you think a novelty hand grenade paperweight is hilarious, don't forget that you left it in the attic when asking your father to find something there in your absence.

Don't ask me how I know this.

Hell, I have one of them on my desk (I work from home) and another one in a closet somewhere.

Yes, yes, they're dummy practice grenades, empty, blue handles, etc. etc.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 26, 2019

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

goddamnit

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

PainterofCrap posted:

Sounds like a great way to protect your valuables.

Then again, anyone dumb enough to be doing B&Es probably wouldn't be stopped by a radiation warning.

Hell, I have one of them on my desk (I work from home) and another one in a closet somewhere.

Yes, yes, they're dummy practice grenades, empty, blue handles, etc. etc.

Oh poo poo radioactive this is valuable let's sell it to the Libyans.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

StormDrain posted:

Oh poo poo radioactive this is valuable let's sell it to the Libyans.

Joke's on them; it's full of used pinball machine parts.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I love that redditors are still breathlessly calling all the regulatory agencies because they all think they're the first person to think of that.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Platystemon posted:

Update on this:

I thought they were big boxes, it's just an empty card catalogue like you used to see at libraries.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I suspect that a single large box of radioactives would rapidly become a difficult-to-ignore problem.

amethystdragon
Sep 14, 2019

Yes! Thank you.

amethystdragon
Sep 14, 2019

I actually used those card catalog drawers for storing N64 cartridges.
Had to put tape on top so I didn't have to pull one out just to see what game it was.
Majora's Mask was always easy to find as was Tony Hawk.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Amazing

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

amethystdragon posted:

I actually used those card catalog drawers for storing N64 cartridges.
Had to put tape on top so I didn't have to pull one out just to see what game it was.
Majora's Mask was always easy to find as was Tony Hawk.

I bet they'd be great for storing Magic cards.
:goonsay:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Yooper posted:

Tiny House Minnesota Style.

Or do it Quebec style with power and everything.

The lack of building codes is the biggest driver I see for people I know interested in Tiny House. The above YouTube link that Youth Decay shows a good, proper, house but it's $78,000. These people want a TinyHouse for under $10k. All I need to do to see the logical outcome is drive around and see the ice shacks people build near me. Truck caps for roofs. Plastic sheeting for walls. Pallet wood loving everything. At least a home has resale value, I can't imagine someones 400 sqft portable fart box is going to have much value in 20 years.

Who gives a gently caress about resale value on a 10k glorified garden shed? Any value is in the land it sits on anyway, because the chances of finding a buyer for it that isn't going to flatten and rebuild are nil, like most weird rear end custom houses.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

Who gives a gently caress about resale value on a 10k glorified garden shed? Any value is in the land it sits on anyway, because the chances of finding a buyer for it that isn't going to flatten and rebuild are nil, like most weird rear end custom houses.

Depends where you are. California, yah, property is ridiculous. In my area you can get a lot in a small town for a couple of grand. Though you can't legally put up a trailer house anymore, zoning did away with it. You can put one up in a specially zoned trailer park.

A friend of mine did some design work on a weird rear end custom house for an executive consultant. It had steel catwalks linking the bedrooms and a concrete tube rising up through the center of the living room for an open hearth fire. I can't find the tube picture, but there's the concrete bathroom.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Dienes posted:

I bet they'd be great for storing Magic cards.
:goonsay:

They are
https://www.bcwsupplies.com/card-house-storage-box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Yooper posted:

Depends where you are. California, yah, property is ridiculous. In my area you can get a lot in a small town for a couple of grand. Though you can't legally put up a trailer house anymore, zoning did away with it. You can put one up in a specially zoned trailer park.

A friend of mine did some design work on a weird rear end custom house for an executive consultant. It had steel catwalks linking the bedrooms and a concrete tube rising up through the center of the living room for an open hearth fire. I can't find the tube picture, but there's the concrete bathroom.

There' s a concrete geodesic dome house here in town. Been on the market for four years because it needs roof work and would cost so much to tear down that it isn't worth it.