Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

This may be my last post here, I'm camping out at the lake tomorrow for the opening of trout season and it's going to be cold as gently caress. If I die, bury me with my whopper plopper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
If you die send me your whopper plopper those shits are expensive

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Oh my god it was horrible. I'm loving exhausted.

Fishing was good though, I'll write about that later when my brain thaws out.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Here's the final count from Fri and Sat -

The winner of the weekend ended up being a gold colored spoon, they went crazy for it. I had been trying mice tails/power eggs/etc and it was slow, but once I switched to the spoon it was on. Time of day was very important too. Morning and evening were great, but they all straight shut off during midday.

It was pretty hilarious watching these old try-hards out at this 4 acre pond trying to fly fish these dumb rear end farm raised trout. These fish don't know poo poo about bugs or flies but these dudes would be out there whipping 'em around for hours and just completely striking out. Got some dirty looks when I'd walk by with a full stringer and a spinner :lol:

The camping was absolute torture, temps got down into the 20s that night. I legit thought I was gonna lose my toes.

Ghostnuke fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 7, 2019

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Hardcore dude, I don't think I could manage camping in that weather. Looks like it paid off big time though. Where do you live that trout is opening now? Our opener is in mid April.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

prom candy posted:

Hardcore dude, I don't think I could manage camping in that weather. Looks like it paid off big time though. Where do you live that trout is opening now? Our opener is in mid April.

Kansas. It just now got cold really, they would've been dead if they had stocked even a week earlier.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Tomorrow's high 40s and high winds will make it the first Saturday I haven't fished at all in at least 6+ months :(

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Yep, weekend's here and with it came cold wind and rain down in fla. Oh well.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Im not seeing a problem here. I've had better bites when its cooler out in florida.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Went squid fishing today. Caught about ten so that kind of sucked but I got a bonus octopus. Gonna eat them later tonight.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Went squid fishing today. Caught about ten so that kind of sucked but I got a bonus octopus. Gonna eat them later tonight.

How does one fish for squid? Or octopus? I'd like to see the logistics of handling those things in bulk.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yooper posted:

How does one fish for squid? Or octopus? I'd like to see the logistics of handling those things in bulk.

We use a jig with upwards pointing needles instead of barbs. When they latch on you reel them up and let them ink out. Then you grab the weight at the bottom and swing them into the boat. Raise the weight over the jig so it inverts and the squid should fall off into a bucket. No handling required if you don’t miss the bucket.

The octopus was a bonus from getting to close to the bottom and just needs a lid on the bucket otherwise they will escape.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
That's awesome! I bet fresh squid/octopus is delicious.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Gooch181 posted:

That's awesome! I bet fresh squid/octopus is delicious.

It has a light crunch and then it's a very smooth meat unlike anything else, octopus being a bit chewier. Honestly I prefer the squid but the two mixed together make a nice contrast. Also my wife and kids pitch a fit when i bring home a octopus so I'm probably just gonna toss them back from now on.

Unless I catch a really big one. Tako salad would be really nice...

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Yooper posted:

With squid jigs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_mFFIx1KhQ

You can also also use a baited prong:

You stick the prong in a fishes mouth and push it all the way through until the prong is sticking out near the tail. Attach it to your line and throw it over the side.

You tend to get occies and cuttlefish if the jig (or bait) is sitting on the bottom for a while, whereas squid are more active hunters and prefer to attack as the jig/bait is sinking or stationery in the water.

Occies are a pain to deal with, but squid are easy enough. I fish for them from the kayak and just wind them in (while trying to keep them pointed away from me) and grab them behind the head once I can reach them. Smaller squid can be lifted in using the rod but that's a good way to lose heavier squid. If they're not well hooked I'll use a net. It pays to be careful if you catch an arrow squid because those fuckers can turn around and bite you if you grab them by the neck so you need to grab them by the end of the hood where they can't reach.

Ink is an unavoidable hazard of squid fishing, I've been inked more times than I care to remember and the kayak has accumulated a black residue that probably isn't coming off at this stage. Keeping them aimed away from you is easy enough in a boat but not always possible when you're sitting in a kayak so you cop it from time to time.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Oh man I wish we caught the bigger squid. I’m just dealing with market squid. Massive schools of them but they only get about 10 inches long at most. However our octopus is Pacific Giant but I’m just catching juveniles.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

:siren: I'm pouring lead this weekend, weather permitting :siren:

Hit me up if you need anything.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Breath deep

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I find that if I hoover a big rail of flux before I hold my face over the pot that I become immune to lead fumes and also the police.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

goddamn was today a comedy of errors. Step 1, hook a massive bowfin that has to be 5 or 6 pounds. Step 2, get him up to the pier, lean over and get and unfold my net one-handed. Step 3, goose the stupid fucker back out from under the pier and around a piling (it's a miracle this happened). Step 4, put on a glove, again, one-handed. Step 5, handline as high up as I can and stretch down with the net. Step 6, watch the dumb fucker toss the hook the second the net touches him, snapping it back to tangle in the net.

At least the fat bullhead and chonky red drum that followed made it worthwhile.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I find that if I hoover a big rail of flux before I hold my face over the pot that I become immune to lead fumes and also the police.

Pretty amazing post too bad it is too long for a thread title

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Pretty amazing post too bad it is too long for a thread title

Aw shucks. :blush:

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

goddamn was today a comedy of errors. Step 1, hook a massive bowfin that has to be 5 or 6 pounds. Step 2, get him up to the pier, lean over and get and unfold my net one-handed. Step 3, goose the stupid fucker back out from under the pier and around a piling (it's a miracle this happened). Step 4, put on a glove, again, one-handed. Step 5, handline as high up as I can and stretch down with the net. Step 6, watch the dumb fucker toss the hook the second the net touches him, snapping it back to tangle in the net.

At least the fat bullhead and chonky red drum that followed made it worthwhile.

Can you talk about red drum a bit? I know it's a big deal for surf fishing in the Carolinas and I'd like to do that someday.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Aw shucks. :blush:

Can you talk about red drum a bit? I know it's a big deal for surf fishing in the Carolinas and I'd like to do that someday.

I caught one just short of slot in Pensacola. Shrimp on circle hook. Good tugger. It’s a giant croaker which I find hilarious because small croakers in CA are considered wormy trash fish. We got giant ones on the west coast called White Sea bass.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Ahh, sea bass. The way to sell ugly fish to picky diners. Lionfish? Red Spiny Sea Bass! Snakehead? Eastern Long Bass! Asian Silver Carp? PLATINUM BASS.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Suspect Bucket posted:

Ahh, sea bass. The way to sell ugly fish to picky diners. Lionfish? Red Spiny Sea Bass! Snakehead? Eastern Long Bass! Asian Silver Carp? PLATINUM BASS.

Is “eastern long bass” a thing? That’s hilarious.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

LingcodKilla posted:

Is “eastern long bass” a thing? That’s hilarious.

We can make it if we try

none of them are actually things, but neither is sea bass

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 25, 2019

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Real bass tastes so loving awful that it's a wonder that anybody associates the word "bass" with good food fish.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Real bass tastes so loving awful that it's a wonder that anybody associates the word "bass" with good food fish.
Striped bass is quite possibly the tastiest fish on the planet. But your regular largemouth or smallmouth bass would be a trash fish if rednecks couldn't catch them. Crappie or die, for me.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

Striped bass is quite possibly the tastiest fish on the planet. But your regular largemouth or smallmouth bass would be a trash fish if rednecks couldn't catch them. Crappie or die, for me.

Fair point about stripers. I haven't sampled before. You should post about crappie, though! They seem underrepresented itt.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Fair point about stripers. I haven't sampled before. You should post about crappie, though! They seem underrepresented itt.

Stripers Morone saxatilis are also a terrible fish to eat because they really collect up undesirable heavy metals.

https://oehha.ca.gov/fish/press-release/press-release-fish/fish-health-advisory-young-women-and-children-should-avoid

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Stripers Morone saxatilis are also a terrible fish to eat because they really collect up undesirable heavy metals.

https://oehha.ca.gov/fish/press-release/press-release-fish/fish-health-advisory-young-women-and-children-should-avoid

Isn't that the case for most large, long-lived predatory fish?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

What would you like to know? Excellent fighters (though black drum are better at it), fond of shrimp or cut mullet in smaller slot and sub-slot sizes. Bulls enjoy dining on small croaker and big finger mullet. They're really common in the brackish water around here, and the state has started stocking them in some freshwater lakes that have a fairly high water temperature.

Here's a pretty hilarious red drum-related incident from my favorite pier:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noI8KEYOzvQ

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

gay picnic defence posted:

Isn't that the case for most large, long-lived predatory fish?

To a certain extant but the strippers are particularly good toxic sponges.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Suspect Bucket posted:

We can make it if we try

none of them are actually things, but neither is sea bass

Black Sea bass are a [delicious] thing down here. Small and black with pearl white flesh, found nearshore and offshore.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

What would you like to know? Excellent fighters (though black drum are better at it), fond of shrimp or cut mullet in smaller slot and sub-slot sizes. Bulls enjoy dining on small croaker and big finger mullet. They're really common in the brackish water around here, and the state has started stocking them in some freshwater lakes that have a fairly high water temperature.

Here's a pretty hilarious red drum-related incident from my favorite pier:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noI8KEYOzvQ

Thanks for the summary! That's the kind of stuff that I was wondering about, and what kind of tackle you'd use to catch them on. How do they taste? This is important to me.

That pier is a little too close quarters for me, but they look fun as hell to fight.

tesilential posted:

Black Sea bass are a [delicious] thing down here. Small and black with pearl white flesh, found nearshore and offshore.

Are they biologically classified as bass though? Some people up here refer to black rockfish as black seabass. Suspect Bucket's point is real, and regionally it seems like a lot of places have been calling fish by the wrong name for so long that it's local tradition. Genuinely curious, not calling you out. Practically everything is a salmonid or bottomfish up here, so it's cool learning about other fisheries.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
All the fish I listed are also delicious :p

Lol black sea bass is actually a member of the grouper family, amazing.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Here's a Seabass we can all get behind:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Thanks for the summary! That's the kind of stuff that I was wondering about, and what kind of tackle you'd use to catch them on. How do they taste? This is important to me.

That pier is a little too close quarters for me, but they look fun as hell to fight.

Are they biologically classified as bass though? Some people up here refer to black rockfish as black seabass. Suspect Bucket's point is real, and regionally it seems like a lot of places have been calling fish by the wrong name for so long that it's local tradition. Genuinely curious, not calling you out. Practically everything is a salmonid or bottomfish up here, so it's cool learning about other fisheries.

On the east coast the call striped sea bass “rockfish”.

I’ve only heard of a few people insisting on calling rockfish “sea bass”. Usually if it’s something it’s “snapper” or “rock cod”.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

I don't eat fish, so I dunno how they taste, and I haven't caught any in the legal slot (19"-27") anyway. As far as tackle, I catch 'em around 12-17" using a 1/0 circle hook or a number 6 if I can find it, on a 2 foot wire leader with either a sinker slide or no-roll weight 1oz or higher (depending on water conditions) on the line above it. Usually on a cheap 6 foot freshwater rod I found abandoned at a lake paired with a $14 baitcasting reel (how this became my favorite bottom fishing rig I don't know, but fighting big fish on it is a fuckin' blast) but any rod and reel you like should do peachy inshore. Piers and surf you'd need to beef up for.

People like these rigs for them, I don't (bait that close to the bottom usually ends up feeding crabs)

Yeah, North Carolina's piers are wonderful shoulder-to-shoulder disaster areas for the entire month of October. It's glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Welcome to fishing, where the methods are made up and the species don't matter (cus we'll call it a sea bass)