Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mandrel posted:

kind of throws a wrench in the whole Konami side of the story of the MGS5 debacle, that they had to take action because Kojima was just too unfocused and a bad producer and the game never would have been finished and they had to be the adults in the room

maybe it turns out the problem really was loving Konami all along

the game's last few acts are a solid demonstration of how confident the developers were in the gameplay itself

the battle with higgs is the climax spectacle-wise, but the real final boss is that last trek back to headquarters. the first leg of the "delivery" tests how meticulous you've been with developing infrastructure and pathways up to that point - my zipline network extended from the tar belt shore all the way to the lake knot distro center, so it was pretty much effortless. the second half instead places the responsibility on the people with whom you've connected, as you use their structures to help survive the slog through the BT-infested downpour. the whale isn't so much a proper endboss as the final obstacle between you and your destination, and like the Gold Lion boss fight, the real threat isn't to you, but to your cargo, which has probably been bashed up on the way over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Gruckles posted:

My theory based on the fact I was getting "Someone used a road you rebuilt" messages before any roads were finished in my own game is that the road progress is shared by a selection of players, but it's not a coherent group.

Like you might be connected to Players A, B, C and D. But then Player A is connected to you, E, F, G.

So in Player A's game the roads are finished and they personally contributed 25% of the materials. Meanwhile BCD have contributed 10% of material each. Leaving the roads in your game at 55%, not counting your own contribution, even though you're connected to someone else who has fully built ones.

Yeah, finishing a road segment only provides some bonus materials to other players in your pod, that's it. (And they only benefit from those bonus materials when the road paver is within an area connected to the chiral network in their game)

Also I've noticed that the likes you get from rebuilding the road network are temporary, there's like a 24h window where you get them after contributing materials and then they stop. I'm cool with this system because you still get to build the network at your own pace which is satisfying but you don't feel completely alone in doing it.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Mandrel posted:

kind of throws a wrench in the whole Konami side of the story of the MGS5 debacle, that they had to take action because Kojima was just too unfocused and a bad producer and the game never would have been finished and they had to be the adults in the room

It's baffling to me that anyone sided with the corporation who shuffled underperforming employees into janitorial work and heavily monitored and restricted their ability to work versus the development team with a proven track record of making innovative, polished, and profitable games for more than a decade. I think it's partially people being put off by Kojima's (very real) ego and capitalism breaking people's brains into compulsively siding with management over workers.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

the game's last few acts are a solid demonstration of how confident the developers were in the gameplay itself

the battle with higgs is the climax spectacle-wise, but the real final boss is that last trek back to headquarters. the first leg of the "delivery" tests how meticulous you've been with developing infrastructure and pathways up to that point - my zipline network extended from the tar belt shore all the way to the lake knot distro center, so it was pretty much effortless. the second half instead places the responsibility on the people with whom you've connected, as you use their structures to help survive the slog through the BT-infested downpour. the whale isn't so much a proper endboss as the final obstacle between you and your destination, and like the Gold Lion boss fight, the real threat isn't to you, but to your cargo, which has probably been bashed up on the way over

so true. it’s too bad evidently i really was the only one in my shard or whatever contributing poo poo in the starter area. the trek back to lake knot was a piece of cake, i even did deliveries and finished the north-south highway along the way. the gauntlet back east was an end to end loving fight. just ladders and ziplines to loving nowhere. the only help i wound up getting was somebody left some cargo repair spray in the waypoint west of capital city, which probably did save my delivery from being destroyed by the five lions, and a truck somebody left.

thank you to those two guys specifically lmao

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

MeatwadIsGod posted:

It's baffling to me that anyone sided with the corporation who shuffled underperforming employees into janitorial work and heavily monitored and restricted their ability to work versus the development team with a proven track record of making innovative, polished, and profitable games for more than a decade. I think it's partially people being put off by Kojima's (very real) ego and capitalism breaking people's brains into compulsively siding with management over workers.

a corporation could be shooting people up with polio in the streets and you’d still find some nerds on the internet going like “polio is back in a big way (and that’s a good thing)”

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Mandrel posted:

so true. it’s too bad evidently i really was the only one in my shard or whatever contributing poo poo in the starter area. the trek back to lake knot was a piece of cake, i even did deliveries and finished the north-south highway along the way. the gauntlet back east was an end to end loving fight. just ladders and ziplines to loving nowhere. the only help i wound up getting was somebody left some cargo repair spray in the waypoint west of capital city, which probably did save my delivery from being destroyed by the five lions, and a truck somebody left.

thank you to those two guys specifically lmao

After I finished the game, I donated a bunch of multi-rocket launchers to the Port Knot share locker and built out and upgraded every structure I could from there to Capital Knot.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Also I've noticed that the likes you get from rebuilding the road network are temporary, there's like a 24h window where you get them after contributing materials and then they stop.

I was theorizing yesterday that the window is from the time you finish the road until you next log out. This would fit what happened to me because I logged out soon after finishing the final chain of roads.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

MeatwadIsGod posted:

After I finished the game, I donated a bunch of multi-rocket launchers to the Port Knot share locker and built out and upgraded every structure I could from there to Capital Knot.

youre a good man charlie brown

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Mandrel posted:

Eh, there's also the fact that Sony definitely had a management role in this game considering all the contributions by other studios. Kojima was working with definite oversight.

By all acounts, Konami pulled an EA on him by giving him too much rope and zero oversight, allowing him to keep pushing on without any idea where he was going. Keep in mind, he also outright admitted before he didn't want to do MGS V and was pressured into it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Before you we were just like any other Cliff

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
gently caress me the original score on this game is so good

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Intel&Sebastian posted:

gently caress me the original score on this game is so good

The MULE caution and alert themes fit the setting perfectly.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
MULEs are the best ideas for an enemy type I've seen in a game in a long long time and there should have only been more versions of them instead of actual killers.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
So now that I have beaten the game I have been farming materials and making deliveries for people, upgrading and building infrastructure.

Deliveries dude

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Intel&Sebastian posted:

MULEs are the best ideas for an enemy type I've seen in a game in a long long time and there should have only been more versions of them instead of actual killers.

MULEs that use bolo guns and stuff on you would've been fun.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Mokinokaro posted:

MULEs that use bolo guns and stuff on you would've been fun.

I found out that the early MULE areas will upgrade their arsenals later in the game to Non-Lethal firearms if you go back to them later, which is a nice touch. Because let me tell you. Walking into an early MULE area with an assault rifle and riot shotgun and they don't have firearms is extremely hilarious. But I was surprised when they started firing back during another trip.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Ice Fist posted:

I found out that the early MULE areas will upgrade their arsenals later in the game to Non-Lethal firearms if you go back to them later, which is a nice touch. Because let me tell you. Walking into an early MULE area with an assault rifle and riot shotgun and they don't have firearms is extremely hilarious. But I was surprised when they started firing back during another trip.

Yeah the other day one shot some kind of oil slick around me so I kept slipping and falling over. I hadn't seen that in like 150+ hours of playing.

simble
May 11, 2004

My favorite MULE moment was when they started using sticky guns before I had unlocked them.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
So now that I'm finished can someone provide either a wiki or a big ol' spoiler block of all the wacky secret game mechanics from like Giant Amelie BT fight onward?

Specifically is there anything weird you can do on the first credits/sams beach scene? And does anything happen if you don't try to shoot Amelie first before the Hug?

I guess just in general can ya'll drop all the type of stuff that's been found that's akin to weird secret stuff in MGS like shooting The End before his encounter area or going back and forth in the MGS1 ducts like 5 times to see meryls underwear?

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Intel&Sebastian posted:

So now that I'm finished can someone provide either a wiki or a big ol' spoiler block of all the wacky secret game mechanics from like Giant Amelie BT fight onward?

Specifically is there anything weird you can do on the first credits/sams beach scene? And does anything happen if you don't try to shoot Amelie first before the Hug?

On the second question You can press the touchpad and Sam will say things like "this can't be over" and "is this a bug or something?". In fact there are a lot of situations where Sam will say lines relevant to the scenario you are in. My favorite is the hot sprints where Sam will sing and then players around you will reply in song. I tried shooting Amelie and nothing happened. When you go into the menu it will say something like "it appears bullets have no effect", but otherwise nothing big.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Presenting Nipples posted:

On the second question You can press the touchpad and Sam will say things like "this can't be over" and "is this a bug or something?". In fact there are a lot of situations where Sam will say lines relevant to the scenario you are in. My favorite is the hot sprints where Sam will sing and then players around you will reply in song. I tried shooting Amelie and nothing happened. When you go into the menu it will say something like "it appears bullets have no effect", but otherwise nothing big.

oh poo poo I totally forgot to try hot springs at any point. I did notice a few points where the touchpad talk thing would change based on circumstances. Sam talking to and calling out for Lou when she first gets taken away, talking poo poo to NPC porters, etc

I thought maybe you would at least get a trophy or a different cutscene or something for not even trying to shoot her before hugging her, or that maybe Sam would have bullets for the scene where he shoots himself

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

There's definitely some inertia going on where less than optimal structures still get shared because they were put there early on. That's especially true for ziplines, bridges and generators I think. You can remove those from your game (from the map, you don't even need to walk) and it will absolutely replace them with other stuff over time. For some reason people love to plop down bridges next to mountain knot in the tar pit so I keep removing them and without fail another one will pop after a while. It's a bit sad because the environments are very pretty when they're not cluttered with useless junk but I don't wanna play offline so... :shrug: At least you can turn signs off.

If only someone decided that one of the hundred or so plus tool tips was about how to filter the loving map like almost every other open world game in the last 5 years, then cleaning things out would be viable.

But no, we can awkwardly tilt it!

Sometimes I wonder if games like this deliberately don't get average gamers to play it and point out all the horribly annoying poo poo they come across.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
That frees up bandwidth? I never would have thought of that.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Someone laid down a ladder on launch day right outside of capital knot. Just on the floor, fully extended, hanging out right before the steps leading out.

It was still there when I finished the game, albeit degraded and rusty. I didn’t want to delete it from my game.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Not sure if it frees up your bandwidth. But if it gets replaced over time, then there's presumably a hidden background bandwidth limit for stuff that ends up in your game because I've never deleted anything and all the shared stuff has seemed fairly static to my game so far.

Plus, logically, it would be super lovely for shared stuff to randomly disappear if you rely on it.

Maybe this is the true purpose of the degrading mechanic. Stuff will disappear and then be replaced by something else.

Still not ideal if you've got a precise network of things like ziplines though.

Kin fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 25, 2019

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Removing other players game does not free up your bandwidth to build more structures, but people who delete a lot of other players structures say new structures will appear overtime.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I forget which email/interview it is (probably one from Heartman) but I had a real :hmmyes: moment reading about how fossils of the first Sea->Land animals were mostly found in areas with long/fast tidal beaches, and that the trauma of being suddenly stranded on (actual) beaches was likely the evolutionary catalyst for legs and locomotion that could work out of the water. They related it to how the BT's and DOOMs people must be evolving in reaction to the Death Stranding "widening" the transition area between life and death.

Anyways this is just me suggesting that if you like stuff like that you should deffo read the emails and interviews. That particular one struck me as such a key to understanding "why the gently caress is all this stuff represented as a beach??" that I thought it was a wonder they didn't give Heartman space to actually talk about it at some point in a cutscene.

And also me once again wishing that those could be read to you while you played, ala the tapes from MGSV/PW

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I forget which email/interview it is (probably one from Heartman) but I had a real :hmmyes: moment reading about how fossils of the first Sea->Land animals were mostly found in areas with long/fast tidal beaches, and that the trauma of being suddenly stranded on (actual) beaches was likely the evolutionary catalyst for legs and locomotion that could work out of the water. They related it to how the BT's and DOOMs people must be evolving in reaction to the Death Stranding "widening" the transition area between life and death.

Anyways this is just me suggesting that if you like stuff like that you should deffo read the emails and interviews. That particular one struck me as such a key to understanding "why the gently caress is all this stuff represented as a beach??" that I thought it was a wonder they didn't give Heartman space to actually talk about it at some point in a cutscene.

And also me once again wishing that those could be read to you while you played, ala the tapes from MGSV/PW
Also, a goon mentioned it way back in the thread, but the fact that "strand" in German is "beach" and the game doesn't point that out even though it explains every other metaphor and symbol is :discourse:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Someone placed a Timefall shelter right outside of Mountain Knot that was blocking a zipline route. I deleted it to make the connection. I came back the next day and there was another timefall shelter in the same place and had to delete it too. Can't remember if it was the same owner. I also don't know why that particular spot is good for a shelter. It never rains or snows near the distribution center right next to the knot. I guess the free container repair?

Also, with a handful of exceptions, the ziplines I've come across placed by other people are horribly placed. Halfway up a cliff or in a gully that has no line of sight to anything significant around it.

If you're not placing zip lines in a Beacons of Minas Tirith like fashion on the tops of mountains or along ridges that have nearly unlimited vision then you're doing it wrong. There have been a handful of decent ones and I always try and incorporate them just to save the bandwidth.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
also by the way if your wife says don't drive a truck to the windfarm, listen to your wife.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

JazzFlight posted:

Also, a goon mentioned it way back in the thread, but the fact that "strand" in German is "beach" and the game doesn't point that out even though it explains every other metaphor and symbol is :discourse:

"Strand" is another word for a stretch of coastline in English too, and that's the root of why whales or boats watching ashore is called "stranding." I guess Amelie could've stood to really break down the etymology of the words when she was talking about the definitions.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

JazzFlight posted:

Yeah it's very Kojima-esque to find a word works in a few different :hmmyes: kind of ways and use it a lot even if the prima facie experience of seeing and hearing it a million times is just weird.

Parasites

Nanomachines

Meme/Gene

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I wish I was in the room when Kojima was drunk/high and started thinking about how being stranded means being left alone but also sort of sounds like someone tied you to something

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

MeatwadIsGod posted:

It's baffling to me that anyone sided with the corporation who shuffled underperforming employees into janitorial work

That's how Japanese corporations work, Sony and Nintendo do it too. Of all the galaxy brain defenses of Kojima arguing in favor of American style "at-will" employment over Japan's basic cultural and legal protections for employees is definitely a new one I guess.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone else notice that the game puts the other players who had structures in your game in the end credits under "porters"

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

veni veni veni posted:

Anyone else notice that the game puts the other players who had structures in your game in the end credits under "porters"

Yeah my wife noticed that after seeing something like "BonerJackin420" in the credits and doing a double take

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
I was online and everything but I just got a large swath of black when that crawled across :(

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I wish I was in the room when Kojima was drunk/high and started thinking about how being stranded means being left alone but also sort of sounds like someone tied you to something
I love how he must have brainstormed every possible connection with every concept he introduced and included it. It's insane the amount of levels of symbolism there are.

Aside from the strands/stranded/stranding/beach stuff, my favorite is the numerology about 5 and hands/stars. Stemming from the chirality idea, he connected:

(very light spoilers, nothing you don't see in the trailers)
Chirality: left/right handed nature
Hands, handprints, touch/connection (and Sam's aversion to it)
5 Fingers, 5-pointed Stars, 5 Great Extinctions, those 5 floating figures in the sky
Stars & Stripes = America
Odradek device being a 5-pointed star/hand/baby mobile (and also including the original design of Kafka's odradek at one point)

I mean, you usually only get this level of depth in films and books. There's enough to write papers about this game.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
setting back out into the first area after finishing the game is really funny because you can see a lot of peoples "test" structures like 20 different ladders going over an easily fordable river or rope lines attached to a "cliff" that's about 6 feet tall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Sleeveless posted:

That's how Japanese corporations work, Sony and Nintendo do it too. Of all the galaxy brain defenses of Kojima arguing in favor of American style "at-will" employment over Japan's basic cultural and legal protections for employees is definitely a new one I guess.

People definitely think that Konami should have fired the entire team of MGS5 as the alternative to turning their lights off and randomly shuffling them into new positions, yes exactly.