Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
I won't get too specific, but this week's How Did This Get Played? episode is a really interesting lesson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Piquai Souban posted:

I won't get too specific, but this week's How Did This Get Played? episode is a really interesting lesson.

The game they were reviewing is trash to begin with (and not just in the usual HDTGP way), but they're guest was 100% right to call them out for the timing. It could have been a lot worse if they'd doubled down on their decision, but it seems like the hosts were able to hear what he was saying.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

boo_radley posted:

The game they were reviewing is trash to begin with (and not just in the usual HDTGP way), but they're guest was 100% right to call them out for the timing. It could have been a lot worse if they'd doubled down on their decision, but it seems like the hosts were able to hear what he was saying.

I got to the half way mark and had to stop because I was terrified of how they were going to respond to him calling them out.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Keep listening. They wind up very contrite and humbled. It's still awkward to listen to, but it's because they're realizing how bad they hosed up and hurt their friend.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

what happened

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That was just dumb.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

what happened

The ep is on Custer's Revenge, it's Thanksgiving week, and they invited a Native American guest. He confronts them about it, deservedly so. It definitely gets uncomfortable to listen to but it absolutely needs to be a direct, uncomfortable conversation.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

When they mentioned last week they were doing Custer's Revenge, I really couldn't believe it. Even without the timing, just... do anything else.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If they wanted to tackle Native American representation in games, Turok would've been a good direction to go. The comics are deep well of possible conversations on depiction, inclusion, and history of representation, and I think a discussion on how removed the games are from their source material would also evoke some really cool and fruitful discussion. But I guess I'm describing a very different show than HDTGP.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, they tackle bad games. And Custer's Revenge is one of the worst and worthy of the show. Yeah, it would have been better to not do it during Thanksgiving week. That said, Joey Clift could have just not done the Ep. Or better yeah, call them out privately when booked. Then they could have learned and did something else this week instead of him sitting them up and publicly humiliating his 'friends' for no good reason. Or better yet do the episode at a later date and discussed the issue instead of blindsiding and grandstanding.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

The Ape of Naples posted:

Yeah, they tackle bad games. And Custer's Revenge is one of the worst and worthy of the show. Yeah, it would have been better to not do it during Thanksgiving week. That said, Joey Clift could have just not done the Ep. Or better yeah, call them out privately when booked. Then they could have learned and did something else this week instead of him sitting them up and publicly humiliating his 'friends' for no good reason. Or better yet do the episode at a later date and discussed the issue instead of blindsiding and grandstanding.

lmao

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lol

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

I give this post a 1 fork rating

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

whydirt posted:

I give this post a 1 fork rating

Oh No! Out of a million.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

hosed up of him to force them to release the episode

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

hosed up of him to force them to release the episode

Oh I agree, they shouldn't have.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I got to the half way mark and had to stop because I was terrified of how they were going to respond to him calling them out.

I did the exact same thing lol. I have a hard time listening to something with that much awkward energy.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Drunkboxer posted:

I did the exact same thing lol. I have a hard time listening to something with that much awkward energy.

Yeah, it made a light, fun comedy podcast un-fun.

ChumpsForChange
Jun 2, 2011
Can’t believe Wiger got canceled before Mitch.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah, it made a light, fun comedy podcast un-fun.

I understand why he decided to make it a teachable moment, but I just can’t deal with the awkwardness

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
I just need to have some gentle chuckles about this genocidal rape game from the 80s, you guys. Come on.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Episode 318 - General Custer, Our Close Friend

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
Hadn't listened to an episode of HDTGP until this one. I had no idea who Joey Clift was, but figured it would be worth the listen after seeing the hubbub on the internet about it.

He did the right thing and I don't think it was easy for him. Wiger and Campbell (and whoever else was responsible for the booking) made a big mistake and it's important to see lessons like that unroll in real time instead of being brushed under the carpet. "It made the funny podcast not funny," isn't a great reason to defend racism.

I'm glad I listened to it and I'm glad Clift so frankly and sincerely explained his position. I learned a lot and I'll try to check myself in the future to prevent tokenism.

I still like Wiger's corny rear end.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I really wonder what they were thinking with that booking. It seems like such a bad idea. If they wanted to do a terrible atari sex game they could have done that one I remember playing where you’re a giant wiener with a head and arms and you shoot peen pixels at advancing boob ladies.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Drunkboxer posted:

I really wonder what they were thinking with that booking. It seems like such a bad idea. If they wanted to do a terrible atari sex game they could have done that one I remember playing where you’re a giant wiener with a head and arms and you shoot peen pixels at advancing boob ladies.

"Beat 'em and Eat 'em"... they discuss it briefly

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

the guest was in the much more humiliating scenario dork

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 25, 2019

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
HDTGP is a fun show and I'm kind of amazed that they goofed so badly with this booking.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Snooze Cruise posted:

uh they were in the much more humiliating scenario dork
And that made the end result less effective.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

i get the creeping feeling you are a bootlicker in your day to day life

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

FitFortDanga posted:

"Beat 'em and Eat 'em"... they discuss it briefly

I was going to content myself with just reading Joey’s tweet thread about the episode but now I guess I have to listen through to hear about this beloved classic.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

"Grandstanding". Wow great stuff.

Sorry your weekly free podcast made you feel weird this week, I hope you can somehow make it through.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

how? by daring to mention it at all?

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Snooze Cruise posted:

i get the creeping feeling you are a bootlicker in your day to day life

I think that says more about you than me.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Waterbed Wendy posted:

"Grandstanding". Wow great stuff.

Sorry your weekly free podcast made you feel weird this week, I hope you can somehow make it through.

Sure? Why would you think this was a big deal? Just a stumble on their part but nothing to feel too wounded by. Are you ok?

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Equeen posted:

how? by daring to mention it at all?

Not really. It's more how the episode was structured.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

woah woah woah I didn't want you to provide that Native American perspective!!

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Sure? Why would you think this was a big deal? Just a stumble on their part but nothing to feel too wounded by. Are you ok?

clearly YOU dont think it was a big deal so no one else should either, especially the people actually affected by it. cool.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Actually, it’s about ethics in videogame comedy podcasts

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

doctor iono posted:

clearly YOU dont think it was a big deal so no one else should either, especially the people actually affected by it. cool.

No one was though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

No one was though.

literally the guest on the show, dude