Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Well how the hell is this going to affect me with enterprise setups. God Damnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Suddenly, this morning, Android Auto isn't projecting (wired) to my aftermarket head unit. The phone says it's charging and I can play audio over Bluetooth, but the unit just isn't detecting that Android Auto is running. Everything worked fine on Saturday. I'm going to try clearing cache and/or data on Android Auto, but does anyone have any other troubleshooting ideas?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Reboot the phone.

Happens occasionally to me. Restarting the car and/or phone usually gets it connecting again.

Maybe try removing your head unit from the Bluetooth settings.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Uthor posted:

Reboot the phone.

Happens occasionally to me. Restarting the car and/or phone usually gets it connecting again.

Maybe try removing your head unit from the Bluetooth settings.

I've tried restarting both the phone and the car. I'll try the Bluetooth thing too, thanks.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Anyone else getting their Daylio premium purchase refunded unexpectedly? Happened to me twice now.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

hooah posted:

I've tried restarting both the phone and the car. I'll try the Bluetooth thing too, thanks.

BTW, living in an age where turning the car off and on to fix the radio is good and convenient.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

hooah posted:

Suddenly, this morning, Android Auto isn't projecting (wired) to my aftermarket head unit. The phone says it's charging and I can play audio over Bluetooth, but the unit just isn't detecting that Android Auto is running. Everything worked fine on Saturday. I'm going to try clearing cache and/or data on Android Auto, but does anyone have any other troubleshooting ideas?

Welcome to the Android Auto experience!!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Welcome to the Android Auto experience!!

Eh, I got this head unit almost two years ago and it's worked fine until this.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

hooah posted:

Cable doesn't make contact properly on all necessary points?

Like clean out the charger port on the phone or whatever

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Uthor posted:

BTW, living in an age where turning the car off and on to fix the radio is good and convenient.

In my '16 Malibu, no AA, I had to turn the car off and sit with the door open for 5 minutes to get the head unit to restart so I could clean up bluetooth devices that wouldn't delete.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

AlexDeGruven posted:

In my '16 Malibu, no AA, I had to turn the car off and sit with the door open for 5 minutes to get the head unit to restart so I could clean up bluetooth devices that wouldn't delete.

I was running AA on my phone Thursday (no AA in the car) and listening to mp3s through the head unit, but couldn't use the voice controls because it was routing through the Bluetooth (which I couldn't hear because it wasn't the active media source). I turned it off on the phone, but when I turned it back on, Bluetooth wouldn't connect until I restarted the car.

I had it happen before, but that time, I had to reboot the phone.

I also couldn't get my ODB II Bluetooth device to work until I took off my Bluetooth Fitbit.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

AlexDeGruven posted:

Disconnect the battery!?

(Actually just wait the 5 minutes, but I wanted to suggest this simply to say that I have joined hashtag 2019)

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Uthor posted:

I was running AA on my phone Thursday (no AA in the car) and listening to mp3s through the head unit, but couldn't use the voice controls because it was routing through the Bluetooth (which I couldn't hear because it wasn't the active media source). I turned it off on the phone, but when I turned it back on, Bluetooth wouldn't connect until I restarted the car.

I had it happen before, but that time, I had to reboot the phone.

I also couldn't get my ODB II Bluetooth device to work until I took off my Bluetooth Fitbit.

Just another daily reminder that Bluetooth is a lovely technology.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

Cable doesn't make contact properly on all necessary points?

Like clean out the charger port on the phone or whatever

Yeah I've had lovely cables and usually either cleaning the cable or replacing it fixes this issue

stevewm
May 10, 2005

hooah posted:

99% of the time I run into AA issues, the cable and/or dirt in the port on my phone is the culprit.

I seem to have to get a new USB-C cable about every 4-5 months. They just stop working, getting a new one fixes it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

The cable?

stevewm posted:

99% of the time I run into AA issues, the cable and/or dirt in the port on my phone is the culprit.

I seem to have to get a new USB-C cable about every 4-5 months. They just stop working, getting a new one fixes it.

Exact same experience here. I just order them in batches these days.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ugh, I hope it's not the cable. I routed if through the center console...

stevewm
May 10, 2005

LastInLine posted:

The cable?

Exact same experience here. I just order them in batches these days.

Oddly, USB-C seems to be so much less robust in this regard. I never had to replace USB Micro cables because AA stopped working.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I used AA for about nine months on the same cable. I've been using a 3" USB-C cable in my current car for six months. The ones at home for 1-2 years. All fine. Almost all Amazon Basics.

The same Amazon Basics micro USB cables would last me six months in the same use case.

Edit: I have cleaned out the port one time. Never did that with my old phones.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 25, 2019

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I'm using the exact same USB C cables in my car as I did two years ago, zero issues

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

stevewm posted:

Oddly, USB-C seems to be so much less robust in this regard. I never had to replace USB Micro cables because AA stopped working.

AA seems really particular about the cables, not that it absolves USB-C of its sins.

The benefits of USB-C are tangible and wonderful, I'd never want to go back to the Before Times, but goddamn I can't help but feel like the monkey paw curled up some fingers in order to get it.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I have my AA cable in a very static position with a 3D printed dock I got online so I just slide my phone in place. Same cable has been 100% reliable for about 2 years now.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

LastInLine posted:

AA seems really particular about the cables, not that it absolves USB-C of its sins.

The benefits of USB-C are tangible and wonderful, I'd never want to go back to the Before Times, but goddamn I can't help but feel like the monkey paw curled up some fingers in order to get it.

Strangely its always the data connection that seems to go. I have like 10 USB-C cables that will charge just fine, but have no data connection on any device.

I just have really bad luck with cables.

My last one I was even purposely super gentle with it. It never left the car. Plugged it in and set the phone down in a way where there would be no stress on the cable.. It still only lasted 4 months before AA started cutting out randomly.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

couldcareless posted:

I have my AA cable in a very static position with a 3D printed dock I got online so I just slide my phone in place. Same cable has been 100% reliable for about 2 years now.

Not quite as stable as your setup, but mine comes out the armrest and hangs above a cupholder where I put my phone (phone's upside down so the port is up).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
So whatever software stuff I did yesterday (clearing data mostly, I think) fixed the Auto problem, thankfully.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Heners_UK posted:

Anyone else getting their Daylio premium purchase refunded unexpectedly? Happened to me twice now.

Man hasn't but I bought it with survey buxx so that might contribute

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Scaramouche posted:

Man hasn't but I bought it with survey buxx so that might contribute

I also used Survey Credit. TBH the second time I went "well if you dont want my money you don't have to have it"

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

As someone who doesn't normally do slo-mo nor use Photos:

Can you do multiple slow down sections in a video through Photos? I have a four minute video of the dog shaking off water, but only wanna slow down the three short, non-contiguous, sections when he's doing something cool.

Alternately, can you both trim a video and adjust the slo-mo? Seems like the entire video turned into slo-mo when I tried trimming it.

Edit: shared the video through Photos online and the whole thing is in slo-mo. :eng99:

Uthor fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 1, 2019

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

God drat it is there a way to get a shortcut for Chrome on my Bravia Android TV? How loving insane is it that its not just prepackaged and available. I know it can invite in a lot of garbage (like the 2 billion popups I got trying to get a stream for the hockey game today) but ffs man. Its google's own platform.

I found this TV Repo App thing but its not in the store anymore, and I installed it from apkmirror but it just crashes when I try to create the shortcut.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Anyone else recently start having problems with the Podcast Addict widget? It doesn't update to the currently playing podcast anymore for me, and play/resume doesn't work from the widget button anymore either.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Because Google is great and/or I am cursed my Pixel 3 decided to stop charging. Thankfully I have my old one to fall back on while it's out for repairs.

Anyway supposedly AMdroid is compatible with the Android backup thing, but it doesn't seem to be working. Is there a way to force it to restore? Or is it gone forever because I factory reset my other phone with it installed before trying it on this one?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

codo27 posted:

God drat it is there a way to get a shortcut for Chrome on my Bravia Android TV? How loving insane is it that its not just prepackaged and available. I know it can invite in a lot of garbage (like the 2 billion popups I got trying to get a stream for the hockey game today) but ffs man. Its google's own platform.

I found this TV Repo App thing but its not in the store anymore, and I installed it from apkmirror but it just crashes when I try to create the shortcut.

There is a app in the Android TV store called "Chrome Shortcut" and its just that.. It installs a selection into the Leanback launcher that launches Chrome. No extra bullshit attached.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

I would like some To Do list/notes app that is just a large widget I can type in without opening something else, aside from that I could just use notes or trello or something I guess?

I would also like something that I can setup that I want to say spend 6 hours a week on X and yell at me if am in danger of not spending the time I planned on things.

Finally I am not sure if this is an app or would take something more but I would like the ability to save a set/subset of browser tabs and open them somewhere else. I have a habit of finding a bunch of stuff to read/watch and then wanting to do it on another device. Maybe some browser extensions for Chrome or Firefox if they work on android? Adding URLs to the above todo list app could work too.

XIII posted:

I've used MyFitnessPal for years and wanna say it's pretty much the go-to for tracking. I've fiddled with a few others (Cronometer being the only one I remember offhand) but never liked them enough to swap
I used MFP for a while which was pretty good (you get an UA coupon for logging in for a month or something too) but and eventually noticed it was taking 10% of my battery despite the app being active <10m a day. A couple years ago I used it too and also switched off it but don't remember if that was the reason. If this is a problem for others FatSecret seems to be a decent free replacement that I haven't noticed any major feature missing in.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
What's the recommended weather app these days? AccuWeather are shitters, one of the apps in the OP doesn't seem to exist anymore and the other is abandoned. Wiling to spend a few survey bucks if necessary.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ZombieApostate posted:

What's the recommended weather app these days? AccuWeather are shitters, one of the apps in the OP doesn't seem to exist anymore and the other is abandoned. Wiling to spend a few survey bucks if necessary.

Dark Sky if you're in America and like the hyperlocal thing.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
Not that concerned about hyper local, but I am american. Looks good so far, I'll give it a spin. Thanks!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've found DarkSky's forecasts to be middling at best here in San Antonio.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

I've found DarkSky's forecasts to be middling at best here in San Antonio.

It certainly depends on what you value in a forecast. For me, the only thing I really care about is "Will it rain wherever I am in the next hour or so". I mean yeah, tell me the what the highs and lows are expected to be, or what the chance of rain is throughout the day, but that's all academic since I work inside and it doesn't really impact me, I just want to know if I can leave the top down on the car while I run in and do this thing.

Now if you work in construction and need to know whether you can do x on y day, well, Dark Sky might not be for you. I've never really checked to see how well it works outside of my use case but their data is from the NOAA as I'd imagine most services start from so if you're unhappy with its performance it's likely because they value (and present) the data for the extreme near term as most important with the more distant predictions being secondary.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I've been using 1Weather for years and have no real complaints. The area I live doesn't seem to report very well, but that seems to be a problem with whatever weather station they're getting the information from and not the app itself :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

It certainly depends on what you value in a forecast. For me, the only thing I really care about is "Will it rain wherever I am in the next hour or so". I mean yeah, tell me the what the highs and lows are expected to be, or what the chance of rain is throughout the day, but that's all academic since I work inside and it doesn't really impact me, I just want to know if I can leave the top down on the car while I run in and do this thing.

Now if you work in construction and need to know whether you can do x on y day, well, Dark Sky might not be for you. I've never really checked to see how well it works outside of my use case but their data is from the NOAA as I'd imagine most services start from so if you're unhappy with its performance it's likely because they value (and present) the data for the extreme near term as most important with the more distant predictions being secondary.

It doesn't even do the rain in an hour thing all that well here. Seems to change its mind so often on a day that might be rainy that it'd be useless for what you use if for.