Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

doctor iono posted:

literally the guest on the show, dude
Ha. Ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Are you doing a bit or something?

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Seaniqua posted:

Hadn't listened to an episode of HDTGP until this one. I had no idea who Joey Clift was, but figured it would be worth the listen after seeing the hubbub on the internet about it.

He did the right thing and I don't think it was easy for him. Wiger and Campbell (and whoever else was responsible for the booking) made a big mistake and it's important to see lessons like that unroll in real time instead of being brushed under the carpet. "It made the funny podcast not funny," isn't a great reason to defend racism.

I'm glad I listened to it and I'm glad Clift so frankly and sincerely explained his position. I learned a lot and I'll try to check myself in the future to prevent tokenism.

I still like Wiger's corny rear end.

a good post

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Waterbed Wendy posted:

Are you doing a bit or something?

No, why?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

that's unfortunate

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Fellatio del Toro posted:

that's unfortunate

Not really.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The Ape of Naples posted:

[a series of stupid posts]

Congrats on being the inevitable lovely SA take on this. I suspect this is a position you often find yourself in.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

FitFortDanga posted:

Congrats on being the inevitable lovely SA take on this. I suspect this is a position you often find yourself in.

How so?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Still not sure how but whatever.

RoyKeen fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Nov 26, 2019

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Glad to find a thread talking about this because it's one of the more surreal podcasting moments I've ever heard.

I'm listening to it like 15 seconds at a time because it's so incredibly cringey. It's like one of those episodes of The Office where Michael fucks up real bad and they just stew in the tension of it the whole time.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I also quit listening immediately because I hate confrontation. I presume Matt was fired on the spot.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Mr. Squishy posted:

I also quit listening immediately because I hate confrontation. I presume Matt was fired on the spot.

Matt is (was?!) his close friend

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'm just joking. Blaming and then sacking the producer seemed the natural thing to do.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Big ups to How Do This Played for canceling themselves; integrity

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
the episode was great and it is an extremely important conversation to have. as a semi woke white male I need to be reminded of the subtle racist programming that's already in my head, otherwise what can I do to change it?

also are they gonna put a yearly sale up for black Friday for stitcher premium or have they and I missed it? my sub ran out on Sunday and mostly I just don't want to miss out on Jordan's vacation report.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Paul Rust is my podcast hero. He is so loving funny on In Vorhees we trust with Guyers and Rust. His bad jokes kill me. Gorley calling out his huge delay when thinking them up kills me too.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
HDTGP was a great episode. It's uncomfortable, but I really appreciate the discussion and the lesson.

That said, me and my friend laughed really hard at Wiger's ability to munch down on the pumpkin bread while Heather feels sick with anxiety and Matt's voice is breaking from his tears. The Doughboys question from Clift and Wiger's response with "I'm a 6'1" white guy and I get free food all the time. I'm basically living my life on tutorial mode." provided some nice levity. Wiger's a robot, but he engaged Joey immediately and I appreciate that.

Joey Clift seems really cool and I would love to hear him talk about videogames more. He has great taste.

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
Wiger scrabbling to cancel the Mario Teaches Typing episode he has set for Gabrus.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don't think I ever would have listened to an episode of HDTGP if it wasn't for the 'oooh controversy' angle, and it's kinda weird listening to the beginning 20 minutes where everyone is good friends, knowing that it's about to take a real turn (and obviously the hosts didn't see if coming either).

But am glad it happened that way, and was released, because it's a strong example of how people have obviously tried to do something they think is positive without really discussing it with someone it affects. I'm sure their literal thought was "Hey this game is terrible, and what better week to highlight the atrocities than to do it during Thanksgiving. And it would be wrong to just have a bunch of white people discuss it so we should ask one of our friends whose not just native, but writes about being native so is bound to have strong opinions". It's good to hear a counter argument to this in real time, and then the genuine apologies that followed (moreso from Nick than anyone it seemed, Heather's natural reaction seemed to be defense but hey... put on the spot etc. If they'd had the dude on just once before, and not timed it with this week it probably wouldn't have hit all the BINGO card spots. I think everyone came off looking good by the end, I can only imagine how lovely Joey felt in the days/hours/minutes leading up to it because he knew he was going to drop a bomb, and that's not a fun position to be put into for sure.

Now if it was on Teacher's Lounge, Todd Padre's likely response would be something else.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I don't think I ever would have listened to an episode of HDTGP

I just want to say that the actual podcast is surprisingly good, and it's worth checking out episodes here and there. We all know Wiger is great, but HAC and Matt are new to me and I really like them.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, if you want a good jumping-on for HDTGP I would suggest Typing of the Dead, Seaman, Duke Nukem Forever, or Friday the 13th.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah those sound like they could be interesting, but if they do the 'what game are you playing right now' stuff each time I'm gonna skip that segment like people skip Maron's intros.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah those sound like they could be interesting, but if they do the 'what game are you playing right now' stuff each time I'm gonna skip that segment like people skip Maron's intros.

They don't start that until later on. I think sometime in October. I don't think it applies to any of those suggested eps besides maybe Friday the 13th. Plus it's 70 seconds easy enough to skip. Frankly any ep is enjoyable. Except the last one of course....

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Listening to the ep right now and Clift is coming off pretty well, he’s very good at getting his point across

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

They implemented that later on because only making GBS threads on games was making Heather miserable.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

They implemented that later on because only making GBS threads on games was making Heather miserable.

I personally like the 70 seconds of gaming heaven. Nick and Heather are both into cool games, especially RPGs, so I like a quick minute discussing something they genuinely enjoy.

I would really like to know why Heather Ann Campbell hates Tekken so much.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Auckerman is crazy silly on the new Teachers.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
How long until Ryan sends an e-mail asking to be let back on the show?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Vhak lord of hate posted:

How long until Ryan sends an e-mail asking to be let back on the show?

Doesn’t matter if he kept the receipts. No return policy. Heheheheheheh.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Has anyone with an existing stitcher premium sub been able to use the black friday discount code to renew? I can't quite figure it out and since I have some time left on my subscription I don't wanna waste it by cancelling to see if the code would work in that situation or not.

edit: just a fun little update for y'all, when I tried to see if I could do it using the app it told me that I needed to use the website and took me to howl.fm, which is of course defunct.

Srice fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 29, 2019

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Srice posted:

Has anyone with an existing stitcher premium sub been able to use the black friday discount code to renew? I can't quite figure it out and since I have some time left on my subscription I don't wanna waste it by cancelling to see if the code would work in that situation or not.

edit: just a fun little update for y'all, when I tried to see if I could do it using the app it told me that I needed to use the website and took me to howl.fm, which is of course defunct.

I couldn’t get any of that poo poo to work, I couldn’t even renew for a whole year without buying myself a gift. Great content but just absolute dogshit product.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There’s a code ‘doorbuster’ that does a year for 14.99 but no idea if it’ll work on an existing subscription. I used it on an account that had expired ages ago and it worked and gave me a free month.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
HDTGP can’t avoid controversy for a single week and shamefully misses a The Fly reference. smh

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Carl Tart talking about going to the same auditions as Haley Joel Osmund had me cracking up.

Flagrant ones is so good.

the Insane Piano
Feb 10, 2011
nice try

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Drunkboxer posted:

HDTGP can’t avoid controversy for a single week and shamefully misses a The Fly reference. smh

And I think not having see Blues Brothers 2000 kinda hurts it, in that they’re all “A spooky cemetery? A swamp? In a Blues Brothers?” And in the film they go to a spooky haunted swamp and sing for a voodoo queen after she turns them into zombies. Also there are literal Ghost Riders in the Sky when they sing that song.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

And I think not having see Blues Brothers 2000 kinda hurts it, in that they’re all “A spooky cemetery? A swamp? In a Blues Brothers?” And in the film they go to a spooky haunted swamp and sing for a voodoo queen after she turns them into zombies. Also there are literal Ghost Riders in the Sky when they sing that song.

Blues Brothers 2000 is a really bonkers movie.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

put on Londonbeat to watch the pelicans game tonight

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
How Did This Get Played has the same issue I have with How Did This get Made where you can tell they're making zero effort to engage with a thing. I like all the people on both shows in other things so it's just a format and attitude that doesn't click with me.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Maybe some episodes, but I’ve been surprised by their heartfelt enjoyment of some weird things, like Typing Of The Dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I've only listened to a few but I liked Erin Whitehead talking about how she was being gaslighted by the horse in the horse dating sim

The weirder games seem like a better fit for the show because I'm not really interested in hearing about how bad Sonic 2006 is or w/e