Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think it's mostly due to patterns with female Riders either dying or not being super important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Waffleman_ posted:

I think it's mostly due to patterns with female Riders either dying or not being super important.

Plus no upgrades shown in magazines or catalogs for her specifically

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Trogglodyte posted:

At the very least Toei never made that much money from Power Rangers. Most of the revenue went to Saban, apparently. Source is this article: https://toyokeizai.net/articles/-/180991?page=2
The exact quote exchange here is:

And in other news, we have a trailer for Geiz Majesty. The screenshots from the Netabare-san leaks appear here.
https://twitter.com/toei_rider_zio/status/1198398497990402049?s=21

And here is the synopsis: https://natalie.mu/eiga/news/356669

This trailer seems intent to spoil everything about the movie

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Didn't this whole YUA IS GONNA DIE thing start from a loving completely random 4chan post?

You people need to chill.

It's more just weird speculation based on previous combinations of similar factors both Toei-side and Bandai-side. Ohmori and Takahashi had the most extraneous Rider with a penchant for treachery killed off on Christmas back in Ex-Aid, and both got the same treatment toy-wise of getting one unique upgrade in Q1 then nothing later on, their main item coming with the gimmick holder as an added extra, female Riders having a bad habit of dying a lot, and other things. It's less a random 4chan post and more just people wanting to complain based on precedents in previous shows, even though it's pretty clear Ohmori is turning a lot of the cliches he's employed in his previous shows around in more unique ways to become lot less predictable.

Darth TNT posted:

This trailer seems intent to spoil everything about the movie
V-Cinexts tend to do that a lot in their promo cycle, since they're pretty much meant to just be added fanservice in most cases.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Geiz Suit seems better in motion I guess. :shrug:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I do wonder if Yua being in the movie means anything, since the period everyone expects her to die in would be right after it premieres wouldn't it?

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro

Justin_Brett posted:

I do wonder if Yua being in the movie means anything, since the period everyone expects her to die in would be right after it premieres wouldn't it?

Lazer was in the Ghost teamup movie which premiered 15 days before the episode that he was killed in.
The show assumes you see the movies on opening day.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Why?

Why does Ryusoulger feel the need to do things in the most mediocre way possible? It has good ideas, it has good characters in both sides, it definitely doesn't commit the horrible errors LuPat or Ninninger did, and yet, it can never stop being mediocre despite having every chance to. It just keeps doing this poo poo and it ends up being a worse series than it has any right to be because of it.

The frustration inside Toei for how Sentai is handled is absolutely deserved, especially when it's in constant comparison to Kamen Rider which has been so much better for so long.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Why?

Why does Ryusoulger feel the need to do things in the most mediocre way possible? It has good ideas, it has good characters in both sides, it definitely doesn't commit the horrible errors LuPat or Ninninger did, and yet, it can never stop being mediocre despite having every chance to. It just keeps doing this poo poo and it ends up being a worse series than it has any right to be because of it.

The frustration inside Toei for how Sentai is handled is absolutely deserved, especially when it's in constant comparison to Kamen Rider which has been so much better for so long.

Killing off Nada immediately after him joining the team just so Koh could get another powerup sort of bothers me as well. Also we’re 35 episodes in and only just now meeting what I’m presuming is our main antagonist for the series.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

Killing off Nada immediately after him joining the team just so Koh could get another powerup sort of bothers me as well. Also we’re 35 episodes in and only just now meeting what I’m presuming is our main antagonist for the series.

See, my issue comes from that side. Nada joining was this really cool moment, where Gaisoulg of all things gets proper redemption, set up for a rather long arc for toku standards. He even gets his own title, and Gaisoulg is an excellent suit, plus Nada was a fun character. This lasted for less than one episode and then he gets killed so Koh, who got every single power-up that didn't go for Canalo, gets yet another power-up.

And then nothing of this matters because said power-up was also useful for an episode and now he needs to get another power-up, which could go to anyone, but no, it goes to the two that already had all of them.

Nada's death was bad and this cheapens it even moreso. Ryusoulger is too obsessed with Koh and Canalo getting more and more toys and it harms the series, which is sad because overall Koh is genuinely not bad, I enjoy him as a character (can't say the same for Canalo, who is a terrible sixth and the worst character in the series).

Ryusoulger is just not going to rise above mediocre despite several really good moments (Master Pink's episode comes to mind) because of stuff like that and it sucks because I want to like it, I appreciate it not being as bad as LuPat, but instead I just keep watching because at least I don't hate it. Contrast with its sister series, Zero-One has been excellent and I super look forward to every episode in spite of disliking how it handles toys as well, because at least the toys never feel like they make the series worse, unlike Ryusoulger.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The series is also pretty desperate for Koh to have a character arc, but they're not sure what it should be, so whatever his biggest problem is changes like every two weeks.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also,

THE RYUSOUL STILL BURNS

A NEW STAGE OF HISTORY

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I haven't been keeping up with Ryusoul for the last 10 or so episodes because I moved and am waiting for a chance to watch it with my Toku buddy but that Red/Gold power-up is super disappointing.

I know Red and the 6th are always the most popular but I don't know how they could handle the power up item so perfectly in Shinkenger and nearly the same in ToQger by allowing any member to use it during their focus episodes and then drop that to make it exclusive for Red/Gold use. How is limiting it better? Hell you could probably sell more toys by making it universal too.

I understand Kyuranger because the suit variety made it so they could hardly make anything universal, but regular teams have no excuse.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly at this point it feels like Super Sentai only continues(rather than go on hiatus for a couple years so they can experiment with something new) for two reasons;

1) because of obligations for Power Rangers(and a certain degree of guaranteed income from licensing it out)

2) a certain degree of prestige from the franchise having never gone on a long hiatus since it was revived with the Super label back in the 80's

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
New season begins with an incomplete sentai. They slowly find members one by one. The whole team assembled only by the time the show is already half-over. People get frustrated with how long it took. Give it a mediocre/whatever reaction because some of the unmorphed character drama bits were still enjoyable.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Just loving try something different. Remember GoBusters? Great show, great toys. Didn't sell well, but it's still better than the macguffin hell we've been in since then.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SpazmasterX posted:

Just loving try something different. Remember GoBusters? Great show, great toys. Didn't sell well, but it's still better than the macguffin hell we've been in since then.

We've been in like 4 season run of trying different poo poo before this one tho and almost all of them have ended up blowing rear end.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Guess who's back in next week's Taiga?

MUTHA

FUKKIN'

TAKKOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG! :dukedog::toot:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

it took a year but my liveman rewatch is finally done. Good show. bad mech fights. check it out for showa sentai. :shrug: the endgame though, holy poo poo, what a final 9 eps. and Yusuke Stabbing Bias basically on Sight is never gonna get old nor will Megumi giving a shame speech so hard all bias's 1000 point brains rebel on him :allears: i'm gonna miss Yusuke, Jo, Megumi, and Colon. Colon goddamn piloted the mecha, and was in there with this during the final two eps. she goddamn counts as an extra hero in my heart

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

We've been in like 4 season run of trying different poo poo before this one tho and almost all of them have ended up blowing rear end.

Maybe if they actually did things with the new poo poo they were trying rather than going "Hey look it's something different" for the first ten episodes then doing nothing else.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Waffleman_ posted:

Maybe if they actually did things with the new poo poo they were trying rather than going "Hey look it's something different" for the first ten episodes then doing nothing else.

Seriously, it's been like:

Kyuranger: We have nine rangers! Only five of them will be in an episode at once, and one will always be the red ranger.
LuPat: We have two Sentai teams, and they're at odds! Only one of them will actually get new toys.
Ryusoulger: Brand new production staff! Red still gets all the powerups.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Larryb posted:

No actually, this is just one of the Knights so we still have the other Knight (who will probably be a MoTW since the second Bishop was), the Queen, and the King.

I'm still pulling for a Kreon betrayal for the final boss but it's looking unlikely at this point.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I was going to bring up Abrella as a comparison but

1. Other than many of them buying robots from Abrella, the Alienizers were not actually allied with each other and did not have any sort of hierarchy
2. Abrella was in the second episode, though he only really became the main antagonist of sorts halfway in

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

No actually, this is just one of the Knights so we still have the other Knight (who will probably be a MoTW since the second Bishop was), the Queen, and the King.

I'm still pulling for a Kreon betrayal for the final boss but it's looking unlikely at this point.

Ah, I thought he mentioned being the commander or something. Speaking of which, has it ever been mentioned just who the Druidon leader actually is yet? So far it just seems like a bunch of generals vying for control with Kreon caught in the middle.

And yes, it would be nice if eventually Kreon just got tired of being jerked around all the time and wound up either switching sides or becoming the big bad of the series himself.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 26, 2019

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Pyroi posted:

Seriously, it's been like:

Kyuranger: We have nine rangers! Only five of them will be in an episode at once, and one will always be the red ranger.
LuPat: We have two Sentai teams, and they're at odds! Only one of them will actually get new toys.
Ryusoulger: Brand new production staff! Red still gets all the powerups.

Zyuohger: Red gets the only power ups in the series.
Ninninger: Red and Gold both get power ups.
ToQger: The power up is shared through the team but is predominantly used by Red, who also gets a new costume for the finale.
Kyoryuger: Red gets a CARNIVAL form. Despite being able to use the powers of other rangers, their only participation is to grab his shoulders during a finisher.

The last series with a teamwide power-up was Go-Busters, and then only if you exclude Jin and J from the team.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

This all supports why they need to use my pitch for a Super Sentai season: Oops! All Reds.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Gripweed posted:

This all supports why they need to use my pitch for a Super Sentai season: Oops! All Reds.

So close.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Larryb posted:

Ah, I thought he mentioned being the commander or something. Speaking of which, has it ever been mentioned just who the Druidon leader actually is yet? So far it just seems like a bunch of generals vying for control with Kreon caught in the middle.

And yes, it would be nice if eventually Kreon just got tired of being jerked around all the time and wound up either switching sides or becoming the big bad of the series himself.

I was so hype when Kreon fed his goop to a Druidon minion that one time. I still hope that his flip-out moment is when he feeds the goop to Gachileus or something like "here's your strong minusaur to approve of, jackass"

Unless Gachileus is dead again lol, I'm like 2 weeks behind.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Coq au Nandos posted:

The last series with a teamwide power-up was Go-Busters, and then only if you exclude Jin and J from the team.

And really that's only because of how Powered Custom worked. Made no sense for Jin and J to be able to use it.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Jin didn't really need an extra powerup since instead of a weak point he had "respawns" and "is old." And from a thematic standpoint he was a mentor-type sixth and it was really about the kids. (So, well, sucks to be Nate.)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

M.Matsuda posted:

it took a year but my liveman rewatch is finally done. Good show. bad mech fights. check it out for showa sentai. :shrug: the endgame though, holy poo poo, what a final 9 eps. and Yusuke Stabbing Bias basically on Sight is never gonna get old nor will Megumi giving a shame speech so hard all bias's 1000 point brains rebel on him :allears: i'm gonna miss Yusuke, Jo, Megumi, and Colon. Colon goddamn piloted the mecha, and was in there with this during the final two eps. she goddamn counts as an extra hero in my heart

Colon is seriously the best character in Liveman.

I need to do a write up on Liveman one day. It is possibly the best example to point to when it comes to splitting Sentai off from giant robots.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

SpazmasterX posted:

And really that's only because of how Powered Custom worked. Made no sense for Jin and J to be able to use it.

i mean jin combining with beet j stag to become a gold/silver combo ranger would have been rad

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Guess who's back in next week's Taiga?

MUTHA

FUKKIN'

TAKKOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG! :dukedog::toot:

Geez, fifty years since his first appearance. Hopefully they upgraded his threat profile..

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

Burkion posted:

Colon is seriously the best character in Liveman.

I need to do a write up on Liveman one day. It is possibly the best example to point to when it comes to splitting Sentai off from giant robots.

I’d love to see that write up. i think there’s maybe 3 or 4 megazord fights you can actually Call Megazord fights.
Everything else is just Over way way too quickly after all the waste of stock footage.

I’m honestly really fond of the main trio+ Colon. Though out of the trio itself i think i like Jo the best. He’s just got a real good stretch of focus eps Near the end and he’s the only one who’s rival/friend in the volt trio Survives the season. Gou even writing on a photo of them that he was his best friend

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Momotaros is very relatable.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Elfgames posted:

i mean jin combining with beet j stag to become a gold/silver combo ranger would have been rad

I'm not arguing that but it also would have meant no J during fight scenes for most of the rest of the show :v:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ryusoulger once again puts this weird, incredible effort into being as mediocre as possible and passes with flying colours, but that's not something to be proud of. The training arc was absolutely pointless for five out of six with only Koh actually accomplishing anything. And then we get the ultimate combination...which, of course, means only Koh and Canalo matter, the rest don't even get to pilot the thing. Absolutely nothing of this episode worked, nothing.

I said before that this is at least better than Ninninger but this felt like a Ninninger episode. That is not something you want to be.

Meanwhile Zero-One is great as usual. Little Assassin makes a lot more sense after this episode, and I like how he pretty much took every lesson he was taught to their most obvious conclusion. It proves Horobi is an idiot though, he taught a robot to kill his master, what in the world did he expect he'd learn but betrayal? Also I'm scared of what's going to happen with Shining Hopper with the very much not happy winning music and Wazu being clearly terrified of Aruto using it.

Talking about great, my absolute praise to Over-Time for this one line. That is an incredible alliteration.

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 28, 2019

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The mechanical meitantei is really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

SpazmasterX posted:

I'm not arguing that but it also would have meant no J during fight scenes for most of the rest of the show :v:

hmm well since J is physical make it work the opposite way lol