Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Organic, top-voted posts on R/Stadia

quote:

Are you kidding me?

This is so good drat cool. gently caress all the negative reviews. Good job Stadia team, this poo poo is GREAT and you should be proud of your work. Keep it up!

quote:

OMG thank you Google!!!!

Just played stadia for the first time and I actually don’t think I’ll buy another console again!! Played Destiny on mouse and keyboard on my pc and then played it on the MacBook with PS4 controller.
I’m trying to be calm but I’m blown away!!! This is incredible! No input lag or any problems at all.
My wife is using the WiFi for TikTok on her phone while I’m playing destiny on the MacBook with no issues at all.
Tomorrow I shall spread the word of Stadia around my work.
Thank you Google!!!

quote:

Alright the service is good, we're all happy campers, now what are the priorities

We're all pretty happy Dadia Founder's , we can now be the casual dad we always wanted to be.
We're testing the whole thing at the moment and it run wayyyy smoother than i ever expected it to.

quote:

Wow

So I won't get fibre for another couple of months but I ordered a Premiere Edition anyway. I just tried it on my less than 10Mbps connection and my jaw dropped. I was by no means expecting it to work with my current connection and on wifi on my 6 year old laptop and.. it just did. It's like magic, there's no other way to describe it. Now I'm more excited than ever to get my fibre connection

Taking a page out of his sodden Xbone playbook, this is what you get when Phil Harrison hastily hires Edelman PR to "get the word out" about how wonderful your moribund last place machine is doing the market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

leftist heap posted:

Psychologist here, and I've been putting a lot of thought into some potential reasons we see such reactive anger in general gaming spaces toward the core idea of Stadia.

Is there another Reddit psychologist who can explain why people are so eager to let cloud providers control access to their games for little/no tangible benefit?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
drat those posts are embarrassingly fake. I guess hostile apostle wasn't an employee after all.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

shadow puppet of a posted:

Organic, top-voted posts on R/Stadia

Taking a page out of his sodden Xbone playbook, this is what you get when Phil Harrison hastily hires Edelman PR to "get the word out" about how wonderful your moribund last place machine is doing the market.

This feels too embarassing for Edelman, somehow

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Escape Goat posted:

Is there another Reddit psychologist who can explain why people are so eager to let cloud providers control access to their games for little/no tangible benefit?

reddit users would sell their owns mothers for convenience

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

https://twitter.com/nibellion/status/1198968290347036672?s=21

Lol

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Now "The highest quality pixels" marketing phrase about xbox scorpio or scarlett doesn't sound that stupid anymore.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
1452 days left.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

American McGay posted:

drat those posts are embarrassingly fake. I guess hostile apostle wasn't an employee after all.

Look, Hostile Apostle is what you get when you really put in good money for a shill. He's top tier
These guys are the Dingo Pictures to Hostile's Disney.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
sent mine back today. and thus my stadia adventure ends.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Fallom posted:

Love when I search for specific terms and the top results specifically exclude those terms

Like what the absolute gently caress

Use quotation marks " " around terms or phrases for explicit searches.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Lambert posted:

Or they could make the goddamn search engine search for what I type in.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Lambert posted:

It’s not an explicit search, it’s a keyword search and Google specifically excludes one of the keywords for the first few results. You can click a thing in the results to add it back.

If it type in {rear end magician} I want results with rear end and magician, not “rear end magician” as a phrase. What Google is doing is showing results for {rear end -magician} on the first page and then transitioning to {rear end magician}.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Nov 26, 2019

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
It shouldn't be surprising that many hardcore gamers are rejecting Stadia, at least with the current catalog and feature set, while the filthy casuals are embracing it. The "psychologist" is right that the hardcore gamers view streaming as an existential threat to their identity. If it did not, we would not be seeing the vitriol. Why do they care so much or react so negatively? Hardcore gamers want the best graphics, no matter the cost and inconvenience - Stadia does not offer much in this regard today that existing platforms do not, only things that the hardcore view as negatives - reliance on a consistent connection, lack of graphical improvements (today), unfamiliar pricing. Stadia games will probably not be competitive vs retail pricing (consistent loss leaders) or shady steam key sites.

It is unfortunate at launch that some of big titles didn't live up to the performance hype, but I am hopeful that as developers become more familiar with Stadia the game graphics quality will improve as is typical with almost all new platform launches. People seem to forget that a huge chunk of most new platform launches is made up of last gen titles shittily optimized for the new platform. I think Stadia games also need to demonstrate a unique feature set.

That said the fact of the matter is - it works today and I, at least, enjoy playing it and am getting something out of it that no other system can provide - freedom to play wherever I want (provided there's a good wifi connection :)) on whatever device I want (provided I have a pixel, which I do lol).

EDIT - As an addendum on the Stadia threat to gamer identity - people also enjoy building PCs as a hobby and if PC gaming were to go away (which never will, even if Stadia were to become a success) that would threaten their hobby and significant part of their life

hostile apostle fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 26, 2019

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Barudak posted:

This feels too embarassing for Edelman, somehow

Who ever it is, nobody is paying them to stop. Fresh crop this morning.

quote:

I’ve had Stadia for a few days, but today I finally had my epiphany.

I just went on my phone, bought RDR2, watched it instantly pop up on my TV screen as available to play and started the actual game all in LESS THAN 60 SECONDS. No downloads. No updates. No waiting. No memory storage issues. Nothing. That’s where it all just clicked for me. The whole process. Everything Stadia represents. No hassle whatsoever. It just.loving.works. They may have had a slightly rough rollout of this thing, but this thing is exactly what it’s supposed to be. And we’re only just getting started.

quote:

Great job Google!

I’m from Germany, ordered Premier edition, got my invite code yesterday.
I’m playing on my 2013 Macbook Pro, and it is awesome. No input lag, and solid visuals all the time. Sometimes I forget that I’m streaming the game, it feels like actual physical device. Even my PS4 got network issues from time to time, but not with Stadia.

quote:

Thanks Google, the revolution has begun!

After 2 hours of intensive use, I can only say Thanks Google.
I live in Italy and I own a 50 Mbit (I played on PC with ethernet cable) the visual rendering, although not perfect, I found it very enjoyable.
The response of the commands is very responsive, and I used a xbox one wireless pad.
In the future it can only improve, personally recommend it!
:stadia:

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
Occam's razor would say - maybe people just like it! As crazy as it sounds.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

hostile apostle posted:

No Occam's razor says the simplest explanation is they are shills

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

hostile apostle posted:

quote:

Flawless from Sweden

I have logged over 2k hours on destiny 2 on the PS4 and 800 hours on PC.
Yesterday I played using Stadia from Sweden. Comhem 500mbit.
The experience was pretty much flawless even with keyboard and mouse ( apart from matchmaking ..ahem..). If the population increases this will be my go to when in the circumstances where I would normally use PS4.
I think we have a netflix / blockbuster situation coming up in 2-3 years time.

Hello from REGION

everything is perfect. I am a real GAMER, let me prove it: SWEARWORD. I love PRODUCT its so great. Lets all keep up this positive result for PRODUCT. its soo good am I right GAMERS. time for FORWARD LOOKING STATEMENT OF SUCCESS

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

hostile apostle posted:

It shouldn't be surprising that many hardcore gamers are rejecting Stadia, at least with the current catalog and feature set, while the filthy casuals are embracing it.

"Casuals" aren't even aware that it exists, and they're certainly not the people who shelled out $130 on a preorder months in advance and/or are okay with paying a subscription fee on top of full-priced games for 4K streaming. The people who bought into Stadia so far are gamers who got suckered by the pre-launch lies about performance (who justifiably aren't happy), and tech dorks who wanted to mess around with the technology (who are mixed and also likely to be more forgiving). The test for whether or not the FIFA n' CoD crew give a poo poo has yet to happen.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

People definitely talk like that and also Love Brands

Edit:

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

People definitely talk like that and also Love Brands

Edit:

Brands are modern day tribes, people like to belong.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006

Hello from REGION

everything is perfect. I am a real GAMER, let me prove it: SWEARWORD. I love PRODUCT its so great. Lets all keep up this positive result for PRODUCT. its soo good am I right GAMERS. time for FORWARD LOOKING STATEMENT OF SUCCESS

So, in summary it works for this person, and you find that unbelievable because there's no possible way it could work for anyone.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

sethsez posted:

"Casuals" aren't even aware that it exists, and they're certainly not the people who shelled out $130 on a preorder months in advance and/or are okay with paying a subscription fee on top of full-priced games for 4K streaming. The people who bought into Stadia so far are gamers who got suckered by the pre-launch lies about performance (who justifiably aren't happy), and tech dorks who wanted to mess around with the technology (who are mixed and also likely to be more forgiving). The test for whether or not the FIFA n' CoD crew give a poo poo has yet to happen.

Stadia needs a killer app, but that doesn't take away the fact that the experience leans heavily on network quality, and I can only imagine how lovely it must be running Stadia on a data-capped connection.

But I do have a positive user experience to share: a friend of mine preordered Stadia the same time as I, and he got his stuff yesterday (I decided to cancel mine). He played AssCreed yesterday for three hours and out of those two he forgot he was playing a streamed game (he has a 100mbit line). He's been gaming since mid-80's, so he's not entirely new to the hobby, either. He reckons it's good enough and if Google manages to stick with it, they'll improve. For him, buying the games isn't an issue, partially because he can afford it, and partially because he doesn't really care about Game Pass -style access to a massive library (he probably wouldn't mind it, it's simply not a deal-breaker for him). He was enamored with the performance as well, but after testing he was thinking that yeah, either the hardware isn't what it's supposed to be, or the ports are not terribly good yet.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

hostile apostle posted:

So, in summary it works for this person, and you find that unbelievable because there's no possible way it could work for anyone.

I 100% believe it works for that person as they made that post inside Google HQ while making every single one of those posts themselves, and right in the middle of the out of touch tech bubble is the place Stadia has the best chance of operating successfully.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

hostile apostle posted:

It working for some people is not the problem. For the product to be successful, especially with google, it needs to be working for millions of people or else Google loses interest and quietly shuts it down. This is the part you do not understand. It doesn't matter that it works and will work for more in the future. It needs to be the topic of board meetings and how to monetize it better.

The problem is this is Google, they are going to not do a hell of a lot, and there's other products that do the same thing but better already at market.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006

pixaal posted:

The problem is this is Google, they are going to not do a hell of a lot, and there's other products that do the same thing but better already at market.

You're comparing a day 1 service to mature services and ecosystems from businesses that have been doing this for over a decade. Let's see where things are in a year. Google hasn't spent years and a ton of money to build the infrastructure to "not do a hell of a lot" and give up day 1. Google is not so naive to think it would be easy to displace the behemoth incumbents in a multi-billion dollar industry. This is a live service - not some fixed spec piece of hardware that will never see any changes or incremental features.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Hello from REGION

While there's tons of genuine astroturfing accounts on Reddit, I think this one is real. They submitted this Hard Times article: "Elon Musk Unveils Supercomputer Capable of Simulating Entire Universe or Running PUBG on Medium Graphics" ...and thought it was real until the satire was explained to them.

https://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/elon-musk-unveils-supercomputer-capable-simulating-entire-universe-running-pubg-medium-graphics/

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

hostile apostle posted:

You're comparing a day 1 service to mature services and ecosystems from businesses that have been doing this for a decade or more. Let's see where things are in a year. Google hasn't spent years and a ton of money to build the infrastructure to "not do a hell of a lot" and give up day 1. This is a live service - not some fixed spec piece of hardware that will never see any changes or incremental features.

that's just blatantly untrue. geforce now is in beta. xCloud is in beta. PS Now is the only mature one. and i could dig up your own posts touting googles "years of experience in gaming (android)"

quote:

Google hasn't spent years and a ton of money to build the infrastructure to "not do a hell of a lot" and give up day 1

Actually one of the most claims levied about the service is that they didn't actually build the infrastructure, but instead found a way to repurpose their aging Vega 64 GPUs, and the performance absolutely matches that hypothesis.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006

charity rereg posted:

that's just blatantly untrue. geforce now is in beta. xCloud is in beta. PS Now is the only mature one. and i could dig up your own posts touting googles "years of experience in gaming (android)"

Actually one of the most claims levied about the service is that they didn't actually build the infrastructure, but instead found a way to repurpose their aging Vega 64 GPUs, and the performance absolutely matches that hypothesis.

Wut - I'm pretty sure pixaal was referring to PC/Console which is what I was speaking to.

But since you want to go there - Geforce Now and Xcloud are doing the same thing but bettter? Source your quotes. Xcloud is non-existent other than limited beta 720P on android phones. They are a year behind Google - they are not even at project stream level of capabilities.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

hostile apostle posted:

You're comparing a day 1 service to mature services and ecosystems from businesses that have been doing this for over a decade. Let's see where things are in a year. Google hasn't spent years and a ton of money to build the infrastructure to "not do a hell of a lot" and give up day 1. Google is not so naive to think it would be easy to displace the behemoth incumbents in a multi-billion dollar industry. This is a live service - not some fixed spec piece of hardware that will never see any changes or incremental features.

You don't get to show up with a worse service offering than incumbents, though, especially with no advantages to show for it. Business isn't "fair", Google doesn't get a pass on a subpar service because they're "new" without any advantages being offered.

PSNow and PS4 Remote Play are mature streaming services that have been a sellable product for over five years and in beta for longer. The only appreciable thing Google does better is running directly within Chrome instead of needing an app, but PS4 Remote Play is available on all modern Android and iOS devices. And at least for me, PSNow is less laggy.

univbee fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 26, 2019

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006

univbee posted:

You don't get to show up with a worse service offering than incumbents, though, especially with no advantages to show for it. Business isn't "fair", Google doesn't get a pass on a subpar service because they're "new" without any advantages being offered.

At launch, Stadia has limited (today) / no upfront cost (early next year), or the ability to play on any device in any location with a solid connection. 5G will also change that, provided it lives up to the hype (might be a tall order). Neither XB or PS, or their next gen, will offer that.

More will be coming.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I was going to make a boring post but persona 5 is on psnow???? That might actually be worth trying out, seems like a good fit.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

hostile apostle posted:

At launch, Stadia has limited (today) / no upfront cost (early next year), or the ability to play on any device in any location with a solid connection. 5G will also change that, provided it lives up to the hype (might be a tall order). Neither XB or PS, or their next gen, will offer that.

More will be coming.

"Any device" except for most Android phones, iPhones, any handheld console, anything you hook up to a TV that isn't a PC or Chromecast Ultra...

Meanwhile I was playing my PS4 games remotely back in 2014, on a greater range of devices.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

hostile apostle posted:

Wut - I'm pretty sure pixaal was referring to PC/Console which is what I was speaking to.

But since you want to go there - Geforce Now and Xcloud are doing the same thing but bettter? Source your quotes. Xcloud is non-existent other than limited beta 720P on android phones. They are a year behind Google - they are not even at project stream level of capabilities.

Actually no I was referring to PSNow, but also several services that work just fine where you buy games and run them on their servers. They worked better than the assassin's creed demo did for me. I used Liquidsky for a bit it worked fantastic. Liquidsky is no longer in business because turns out not enough people want to pay to stream games. The assassin's creed demo was abysmal.

I've heard good things about Geforce Now and Xcloud but have not tried them but am very much going to say both companies will give this time to mature, Google never gives a product time to mature. If it's not popular Google doesn't update it until it is popular, normally condemning the project to a slow death.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Actually, this has been a success and not a failure. People are actually wrong when they say they don't like it and that it is bad. Google isn't failing, they're actually succeeding and are years ahead of their competition. It's also not expensive, it's actually very reasonably priced and is in fact better priced than any alternative, even free services like GeForce Now.

I swear, google fans are loving crazy. Other than search and maps, they always fail.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sick, my RTX 2070 is out for delivery today.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

hostile apostle posted:

It shouldn't be surprising that many hardcore gamers are rejecting Stadia, at least with the current catalog and feature set, while the filthy casuals are embracing it. The "psychologist" is right that the hardcore gamers view streaming as an existential threat to their identity. If it did not, we would not be seeing the vitriol. Why do they care so much or react so negatively? Hardcore gamers want the best graphics, no matter the cost and inconvenience - Stadia does not offer much in this regard today that existing platforms do not, only things that the hardcore view as negatives - reliance on a consistent connection, lack of graphical improvements (today), unfamiliar pricing. Stadia games will probably not be competitive vs retail pricing (consistent loss leaders) or shady steam key sites.

EDIT - As an addendum on the Stadia threat to gamer identity - people also enjoy building PCs as a hobby and if PC gaming were to go away (which never will, even if Stadia were to become a success) that would threaten their hobby and significant part of their life

"Threatens them"? I guess if you consider that the games could vanish at any given moment, given lovely internet and/or Google's propensity for shutting down its projects.

Otherwise how would people who play games be threatened by another way to play those games?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

hostile apostle posted:

I absolutely believe Stadia works great for some people, including you.

I also believe that even if it works properly, it is such an incredibly obvious ripoff that you should feel ashamed of yourself for spending money on it.

In all of your posts defending Stadia, you haven't even begun to address the actual value proposition. Google isn't first to market. How does it compare against Geforce Now, Playstation Now or xCloud?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

hostile apostle posted:

More will be coming.

PS Now already offers that. xCloud is in beta, but also offers exactly that. Steam Link Anywhere will let you do exactly that with any gaming PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

hostile apostle posted:

Google hasn't spent years and a ton of money to build the infrastructure to "not do a hell of a lot" and give up day 1. Google is not so naive to think it would be easy to displace the behemoth incumbents in a multi-billion dollar industry. This is a live service - not some fixed spec piece of hardware that will never see any changes or incremental features.

Have you actually ever used any other streaming services?

Google might not be naive, but they're clearly leaning on the Apple Reality Distortion Field. Every single piece of media they've put out makes it sound like they invented game streaming, and this is an entirely new idea. They know they can't compete on features, pricing, stability or game library, so they're waving their hands around and acting like the competition doesn't exist.