Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

ughhhh posted:

Had a 1060 with an arctic acellero II wich was whisper quite under load. Just upgraded to a 2070 super FE and am not very happy with the noise. Even with the accellero II it's a bit much for me. How reliable and quite are AIO's on a gpu these days? Would it be a relatively easy setup?

From what I understand they're pretty simple, I know NZXT had a mount for an AIO you could use with practically any AMD/NVidia card, then you could buy your own AIO to strap to it. Most people use a 120mm AIO unit & either mount the radiator on the back or side of the case if they have that option, since some of the tubes for AIOs going to the pump itself can be shorter depending on manufacturer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

TheFluff posted:

Is there a list somewhere of 2080/2080S/2080Ti cards by max power budget? Looking more into what to buy to go with a G12 bracket, since the temperature limit shouldn't be an issue anymore. I've seen some conflicting reports though at least for the 2080Ti, whether the power limit is actually an issue or not - Gamersnexus reported that their hybrid mod was bumping off the power limit all the time, but I've seen others report that higher power limits are pointless.

This is the 2080 ti list but has links for the 2080 at the top.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/69-nvidia/1706276-official-nvidia-rtx-2080-ti-owner-s-club.html

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Klyith posted:

edit2: or are these like the mini-launchers that come with individual games, like that show some options and a start game button? I could see those activating because they live in the same place as the game or are the main exe for the game. In that case just don't open those if you're not gonna play the game.

Mostly this. Serious business platforms like Steam have long since figured out how to play nice with power saving options for the most part.

The (occasional) problem for me has been forgetting that it's open because I popped up some other window on top of it. Even if it's not really rendering anything, just powering the dGPU at 0% instead of shutting it off is a substantial battery drain, which is an annoyance when I forget to close out of it entirely and then wander off to doodle around on the web while on a train or whatnot and suddenly notice I've gone through twice the battery I should have in the last hour.

It's a totally avoidable problem, but I was just tossing out the one (and really only) use I could think of for disabling HW acceleration for a launcher other than random compatibility issues.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

BOOTY-ADE posted:

From what I understand they're pretty simple, I know NZXT had a mount for an AIO you could use with practically any AMD/NVidia card, then you could buy your own AIO to strap to it.

Yeah, they're dead simple these days, the possible need for VRAM heatsinks aside when using the G10/12 (factory-installed ones, like the EVGA Hybrid series, already have solutions for that). Once set up, they're highly reliable out to about the 5 year mark, at which point normal wear and tear, deterioration, and unavoidable very slow liquid loss will probably recommend a replacement of the AIO.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Indiana_Krom posted:

The 144 Hz / 60 Hz issue is a windows software limitation and not anything to do with hardware, disabling hardware acceleration is a workaround that avoids the issue at the expense of increasing the burden on the CPU. If you have enough CPU cycles to spare it increases the CPU power consumption but otherwise should work fine, if you don't have CPU cycles to spare then it steals time slices away from whatever 144 Hz thing is running on the other screen and performance is reduced. Although the performance reduction is probably not as much as running in to the 60 Hz limitation would be so it is a trade off you need to test per machine and per application.

Very roughly I would say 3-5% only at the highest end anyway where my system is fully CPU bound. In places I would get 144fps I get a 135-144 jump, but it's not a big deal with freesync.

I assume in every direction my issue would improve going from Ryzen 2600 to 3600 especially since it would lift or alleviate the CPU bottleneck at 144hz, but whatever I have absolutely no complaints, it's worth the tradeoff for me.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Dang, that's handy - should've thought to check overclock.net. Thanks!

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Statutory Ape posted:

This question could probably go in a few threads;

For video game launchers (et cetera, really) that have a "disable hardware acceleration' option, is that a situation where like, 90% of the time i want to do it for performance, or like never, or case by case

my specific question is for the main video game launchers you might hear about, steam, blizz, twitch, etc, but figure it probs applies to others as well.

Always disable hardware acceleration in those launchers or other windows that are on your screen as they will always give you noticeable frame drops if you are trying to have smooth 120fps in games.

It's not really lowered performance but just the game become somewhat choppy or 'unsmooth' even if you are getting high enough fps.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Encrypted posted:

Always disable hardware acceleration in those launchers or other windows that are on your screen as they will always give you noticeable frame drops if you are trying to have smooth 120fps in games.

It's not really lowered performance but just the game become somewhat choppy or 'unsmooth' even if you are getting high enough fps.

This is nonsense.

Every window in Windows is hardware accelerated. Even if it's rendering itself in software, the OS just copies that to a texture before it renders the desktop using the same calls and techniques used for 3D scenes and games. A window is a two triangle textured surface. Windows has done this since Vista. MacOS and every modern Linux window management system do the same thing.

It's possible there are some really terrible launchers out there that might have a performance impact. But, as a general rule, you're not saving any resources. Your "increased smoothness" is a placebo.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Might not be placebo but an early sign of an issue with a data drive or just a bloated system. Definitely not an inherent hardware acceleration problem though

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

its sad when this topic is more divisive than amd vs nvidia itt

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I could believe disabling hardware acceleration increases performance because it also forces some poorly done overlay to turn off.

for example:

Klyith posted:

isn't the discord desktop app still electron? they must be abusing the gently caress out that to make it do game overlays. lol discord.

lovely software can gently caress up anything. Not because it's using up the vital hardware acceleration resources. Because it's poo poo.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I frequently disable hw acceleration to get rid of the Shadowplay overlay in non-games. Sadly I can't do it in everything. Ryzen Master and Handbrake are two that always have the GFE hud visible in the bottom right corner of the window and the tooltips. Unreal 4 editor used to have that hud everywhere across the window as well but maybe it has been fixed in the past year.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Klyith posted:

I could believe disabling hardware acceleration increases performance because it also forces some poorly done overlay to turn off.

for example:

lovely software can gently caress up anything. Not because it's using up the vital hardware acceleration resources. Because it's poo poo.

lol speaking of, well, exactly discord and its overlay: it took me forever to realize that the discord overlay (which i couldnt actually even see anywhere) was capturing the keyboard from my game and making it non responsive

fml that took awhile to figure out

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Klyith posted:

for example:

Pretty much all the game launchers are web apps run on Chromium, Steam included.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Arzachel posted:

Pretty much all the game launchers are web apps run on Chromium, Steam included.

Nah, there's a huge difference between programs that contain chromium, and Electron apps that run inside chromium.

Steam uses chromium to do what it's good at, displaying web pages. It isn't using loving javascript to make an directx overlay or handle the patching system.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Klyith posted:

Nah, there's a huge difference between programs that contain chromium, and Electron apps that run inside chromium.

Steam uses chromium to do what it's good at, displaying web pages. It isn't using loving javascript to make an directx overlay or handle the patching system.

As far as I know, most of the Steam client's ui is just that - web pages rendered in Chromium. And Discord is calling a native library for overlay injection which I guess counts as "using javascript" in the loosest sense possible?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Arzachel posted:

As far as I know, most of the Steam client's ui is just that - web pages rendered in Chromium.

Most of Steam's UI is valve's VGUI, which is not a chromuim web page. Much of the surface area is chromium pages, like the store and I think the new library view (which can't be skinned anymore). But as I said there's a difference between chromium at the bottom to display UI, versus at the top with your whole program running inside it.

All I know is that I've never contemplated needing to turn off hardware acceleration in steam, and that every electron app I've ever touched has generally made me feel like I'm on a pc from 1999. Atom was what finally convinced me to buy sublime text. I understand why discord uses electron -- so they can have the same code run both the web and local app. But IMO it's a garbage way to make local programs.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Klyith posted:

like the store and I think the new library view (which can't be skinned anymore).

I don't think this is true. I'm running the metro theme w/ the patcher that allows both the library and the friends list to be themed.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Stanley Pain posted:

I don't think this is true. I'm running the metro theme w/ the patcher that allows both the library and the friends list to be themed.
At least the unofficial patch doesn't do anything to the new UI. Can you take a screen of the themed library and friends list and link the patcher?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sininu posted:

At least the unofficial patch doesn't do anything to the new UI. Can you take a screen of the themed library and friends list and link the patcher?

Here's what it looks like.

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/metroskin/discussions/0/141136086931804907/

Check the discord for instructions. I use the installer to get the Skin, and the patcher to patch the friends list, library.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Welp, I was hoping to grab a new GPU on a holiday sale or something but my R390 said "lol nope" and died.

Just popped in a PowerColor Radeon 5700 Red Dragon. Feels good, man.

Although I have to complain that the GPU's box art simply being a tastefully drawn dragon logo against a black background is too understated. It's almost classy. I was hoping for a giant rendered disembodied neon colored eyeball or maybe a huge chested metallic-skinned Barbie look-a-like.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Fabulousity posted:

Ah the choice of champions.
Could you please gauge how audible yours is at stock settings, during a demanding game?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Fabulousity posted:

Welp, I was hoping to grab a new GPU on a holiday sale or something but my R390 said "lol nope" and died.

Although I have to complain that the GPU's box art simply being a tastefully drawn dragon logo against a black background is too understated. It's almost classy. I was hoping for a giant rendered disembodied neon colored eyeball or maybe a huge chested metallic-skinned Barbie look-a-like.

Sadly, it looks like the bathroom GPU image is dead.

Also, reading pre-launch comments on the 2000 series is kinda amusing.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

sauer kraut posted:

Ah the choice of champions.
Could you please gauge how audible yours is at stock settings, during a demanding game?

With out-of-the-box settings I ran the Civ VI GPU benchmark and the fans topped out at 1500 RPM and weren't at all audible over the case fans/CPU fan. Messing with the fan speeds manually they start to become just audible over ambient case sound around ~2100 RPM and are pretty loud at the maximum 3200 RPM. I'm not running a very quiet case to begin with so your mileage may vary.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

ItBreathes posted:

Sadly, it looks like the bathroom GPU image is dead.

Also, reading pre-launch comments on the 2000 series is kinda amusing.

. . . "bathroom GPU image"?

And here I thought I was just beginning to understand this thread and its lingo . . . :sigh:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Zarin posted:

. . . "bathroom GPU image"?

And here I thought I was just beginning to understand this thread and its lingo . . . :sigh:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3819901&pagenumber=168&perpage=40#post492921243

Picture this, on an old ATI box.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

:captainpop:

I actually assumed it came from a video game or something, until I read the next three pages.

Wowee.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Fabulousity posted:

Remembering the good times:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

GeForce 441.41 enables sharpening on OpenGL and Vulkan so it should work with more or less everything now.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

repiv posted:

GeForce 441.41 enables sharpening on OpenGL and Vulkan so it should work with more or less everything now.

How much sharpening do I need to make everything look like the bathroom?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Zarin posted:

:captainpop:

I actually assumed it came from a video game or something, until I read the next three pages.

Wowee.

It gets better, go back to the beginning.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Geemer posted:

Just enough to kill the mold near the tub, but not so much as to put off the females from swooning. So I'd say turn that slider to Ultra, but not Ultra MAXX.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
There's some great old GPU boxes, and they're becoming collectible too.

I found this at a thrift store for $5 and sold it on eBay to a European collector for $100:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Geemer posted:

GPUs can't support that level of HDR yet. They're working on it for DirectX 13 though.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

pzy posted:

There's some great old GPU boxes, and they're becoming collectible too.

I found this at a thrift store for $5 and sold it on eBay to a European collector for $100:

Memories

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Klyith posted:

GPUs can't support that level of HDR yet. They're working on it for DirectX 13 though.

I can't believe bEatmstrJ actually leaked 3DMark's new DX13 benchmark "Bathroom" so long before the completion of the requisite version of Direct X.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

lol remember when they marketed graphics cards for playing hl2, which then got delayed an entire year and better cards were out by the time it shipped

on an unrelated note time to buy a vr headset for hl:alyx in 4 months, what could possibly go wrong

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

repiv posted:

lol remember when they marketed graphics cards for playing hl2, which then got delayed an entire year and better cards were out by the time it shipped

on an unrelated note time to buy a vr headset for hl:alyx in 4 months, what could possibly go wrong

Soon(tm) will, that's what.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

HL:Eli would have been a super interesting VR experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Lmk when I can crab somebody's head