Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

hostile apostle posted:

Google hasn't spent years and a ton of money to build the infrastructure to "not do a hell of a lot" and give up day 1.

That is exactly google's pattern of behavior though. And don't kid yourself that the list on killedbygoogle were all cheaper things that google didn't invest as much money in. Salaries cost a lot of money. Servers can be repurposed if they don't work out for game streaming.

hostile apostle posted:

Google is not so naive to think it would be easy to displace the behemoth incumbents in a multi-billion dollar industry.

Phil Harrison: "We made the most powerful hardware in existence, if the games don't run well it's the game developers' job to fix it."

That is a guy who is totally mystified that people aren't lining up to suck his dick, because he's sucking his own dick right now and thinks it's pretty great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

my free xbone was delivered today

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I absolutely believe Stadia works great for some people, including you.

I also believe that even if it works properly, it is such an incredibly obvious ripoff that you should feel ashamed of yourself for spending money on it.

In all of your posts defending Stadia, you haven't even begun to address the actual value proposition. Google isn't first to market. How does it compare against Geforce Now, Playstation Now or xCloud?
Stadia could be a value proposition for the Dad Gamer. I recently 100%'d Assassin's Creed: Odyssey with 138 hours /played. The Dad Gamer who only has an hour or two per night to play games would take 3-4 months to match that. With Stadia he just needs to buy the game and then he can play it at his own pace at 1080p. GeForce Now, while free now, I predict will cost at least $20 a month once it leaves beta. If he took three months to beat it he'd have spent $60 on subscription fees + the cost of the game. I don't think the Dad Gamer market is big enough to keep Stadia afloat, but that particular subset of users will be very happy with Stadia.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Really want to give RDR a try on Stadia for the whole play-anywhere thing, but, 60 loving bucks? Really?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Klyith posted:

That is exactly google's pattern of behavior though. And don't kid yourself that the list on killedbygoogle were all cheaper things that google didn't invest as much money in. Salaries cost a lot of money. Servers can be repurposed if they don't work out for game streaming.

Including stock, Jade, Phil & maybe 5-6 senior managers will be running a tab of $10m a year alone.
Google are pretty aggressive and try to avoid entering a sunk cost situation, if the needed investment to pull it off (according to someone who's already hosed up by putting them in this situation) is higher than they are comfortable with, they will not wait around. They very likely already have a small team figuring out the most efficient way to re purpose the hardware.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Gobbeldygook posted:

Stadia could be a value proposition for the Dad Gamer. I recently 100%'d Assassin's Creed: Odyssey with 138 hours /played. The Dad Gamer who only has an hour or two per night to play games would take 3-4 months to match that. With Stadia he just needs to buy the game and then he can play it at his own pace at 1080p. GeForce Now, while free now, I predict will cost at least $20 a month once it leaves beta. If he took three months to beat it he'd have spent $60 on subscription fees + the cost of the game. I don't think the Dad Gamer market is big enough to keep Stadia afloat, but that particular subset of users will be very happy with Stadia.

Ok, well GeForce Now is in free open beta right now. I agree that if Geforce Now costs $20/month it's not a good deal, but it doesn't cost that and you made that number up.

edit: moreover, if Stadia is established by the time GeForce Now comes out of beta, what makes you think they wouldn't compete on price or at least match it?

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 26, 2019

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

hostile apostle posted:

Occam's razor would say - maybe people just like it! As crazy as it sounds.
I'm not going to disagree with you here but these specific posts were written by a PR firm. No one in the world actually writes like that.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Ok, well GeForce Now is in free open beta right now. I agree that if Geforce Now costs $20/month it's not a good deal, but it doesn't cost that and you made that number up.

edit: moreover, if Stadia is established by the time GeForce Now comes out of beta, what makes you think they wouldn't compete on price or at least match it?
I am pulling $20 from my rear end, but I think it's pretty realistic. Stadia is making money selling games + subscription fees + preorders, GeForce Now will need to make money exclusively off subscription fees. So I predict GeForce Now will launch with a $10/month 720p tier (ie matching Playstation Now) and a $20/month 1080p tier.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
They've been using the service as a loss leader for hardware for like half a decade at this point, I'm not sure where you think this pressure to make revenue is coming from.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

hostile apostle posted:

It shouldn't be surprising that many hardcore gamers are rejecting Stadia, at least with the current catalog and feature set, while the filthy casuals are embracing it. The "psychologist" is right that the hardcore gamers view streaming as an existential threat to their identity. If it did not, we would not be seeing the vitriol. Why do they care so much or react so negatively? Hardcore gamers want the best graphics, no matter the cost and inconvenience - Stadia does not offer much in this regard today that existing platforms do not, only things that the hardcore view as negatives - reliance on a consistent connection, lack of graphical improvements (today), unfamiliar pricing. Stadia games will probably not be competitive vs retail pricing (consistent loss leaders) or shady steam key sites.

It is unfortunate at launch that some of big titles didn't live up to the performance hype, but I am hopeful that as developers become more familiar with Stadia the game graphics quality will improve as is typical with almost all new platform launches. People seem to forget that a huge chunk of most new platform launches is made up of last gen titles shittily optimized for the new platform. I think Stadia games also need to demonstrate a unique feature set.

That said the fact of the matter is - it works today and I, at least, enjoy playing it and am getting something out of it that no other system can provide - freedom to play wherever I want (provided there's a good wifi connection :)) on whatever device I want (provided I have a pixel, which I do lol).

EDIT - As an addendum on the Stadia threat to gamer identity - people also enjoy building PCs as a hobby and if PC gaming were to go away (which never will, even if Stadia were to become a success) that would threaten their hobby and significant part of their life

source your quotes

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

doingitwrong posted:

source your quotes

He's the thread shill, his source is he's getting paid

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

univbee posted:

"Any device" except for most Android phones, iPhones, any handheld console, anything you hook up to a TV that isn't a PC or Chromecast Ultra...

Meanwhile I was playing my PS4 games remotely back in 2014, on a greater range of devices.

Why play PS4 on a range of devices when you can play it on the Vita, the only device that matters?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
that is not what occams razor means. It does not mean that the simplest explanation is usually correct because that is a terrible rule of thumb. Occam's razor is like a middle ages science thing about not using unnecessary assumptions when using axioms to make up physics and stuff like people were doing back then. Poor Occam. So abused.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

So here's a breakdown on PS Now / PS4 Remote Play, compared to Stadia and GeForce Now.

Price

Stadia
$9.99 USD a month to stream in 4K and get free/discounted games, free tier will be offered with 1080p max and no free games/discounts

PS Now
$9.99 USD a month or $59.99 USD a year, no free option.

PS4 Remote Play
Requires an internet-connected PS4, otherwise free.

GeForce Now
Free while in beta, needs signup and invite. No news on when the service will leave beta or what it will cost.

Quality

Stadia
Up to 4K in theory, in practice closer to 1080p-1440p with compression artifacts, up to 60fps

PS Now
720p with compression artifacts, up to 60fps

PS4 Remote Play
With compression artifacts, 720p to a regular PS4, 1080p to a PS4 Pro. 30fps to also allow streaming/recording separately from the host console directly (e.g. to Twitch), 60fps with streaming/recording disabled.

GeForce Now
1080p60, 720p120 option for some competitive games. Compression artifacts, but less pronounced than other services due to higher bitrate options.

Games offered

Stadia
2 Free games, 22 games total with another 20 known games planned for the next year. All non-free games are full-priced titles.

PS Now
About 800 games, all PS3, PS4, and PS2-on-PS4 titles

PS4 Remote Play
Whatever you own and is installed and runnable on your PS4 with your account logged in. Can also play a disc-based game if the disc is in the drive, but you obv have no avenue to change discs away from home.

GeForce Now
Whatever supported games you own via Steam, Epic or uPlay, a few hundred games are supported including some F2P ones.

Supported devices/platforms

Stadia
Computers: Any computer that will run Chrome. kbm controls supported directly
Smart devices: Pixel 2 or higher, other handheld devices planned but TBD
TV device: Chromecast Ultra paired with Stadia controller

PS Now
Computers: Windows PCs only, Dualshock 3 or 4 recommended (may need to be wired in with a USB cable), service may work with other devices unofficially
Smart devices: None
TV device: Playstation 4 (PS3, PS Vita, and Bravia/Samsung TV support have been discontinued)

PS4 Remote Play
Computers: Windows or Mac
Handheld/Smart devices: PS Vita, and any recent Android or iOS device. For Android/iOS devices, dualshock 4 pairing via Bluetooth is recommended but touch controls are also supported.
TV device: PSTV

GeForce Now
Computers: Windows or Mac
Smart devices: None
TV device: Shield TV (controller recommended, but some games are playable without it). Keyboard recommended for logging into game-owning accounts but not required, can input text using the controller

Options to play locally

Stadia: None
PS Now: PS4 and PS2-on-PS4 games can be downloaded locally to a PS4 and played that way. PS3 games are streaming-only, and playing from a computer is streaming-only.
PS4 Remote Play: Yes, just play on the PS4 directly. Not an option for other devices.
GeForce Now: Yes, just play the games directly on a PC you own. Subject to your PC being gaming-capable and meeting the system requirements imposed by desired titles.

Countries where the relevant service is available currently

Stadia: Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden, the United Kingdom, and the United States
PS Now: Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, and the United States
PS4 Remote Play: Any country, so long as your PS4 has internet connectivity with at least 5 megabit/sec upload and your streaming device has at least 5 megabit/sec download.
GeForce Now: United States, Canada, and "most Western Europe countries"

I'd have to measure to know for sure, but based on how they feel, from least to most laggy I think it's something like GeForce Now>PS Now>PS4 Remote Play>Stadia, with everything as wired as they'll allow.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

No Wave posted:

that is not what occams razor means. It does not mean that the simplest explanation is usually correct because that is a terrible rule of thumb. Occam's razor is like a middle ages science thing about not using unnecessary assumptions when using axioms to make up physics and stuff like people were doing back then. Poor Occam. So abused.

don't correct people it's funnier when they get it wrong

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
occam's razor: The explanation that I find most reasonable is usually correct.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Super No Vacancy posted:

my free xbone was delivered today

Please provide photos of the Taco Bone.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

currently

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Very cool. Wouldn't mind winning one of them. What box did you get to win this box?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2019/11/26/destiny-2-stadia-is-just-14-of-the-playerbase-creating-serious-matchmaking-problems/amp/

Stadia makes up only 1.4% of Destiny player count.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Disappointing branding. Expected the shipping box to be either crunchy, melty or cheesy.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I mean I know people want to quote this poo poo for lulz but Stadia came out a week ago and the PS4 and Xbox One have been out for 5 years and have a combined 180 million users.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

DalaranJ posted:

Disappointing branding. Expected the shipping box to be either crunchy, melty or cheesy.

Don't want to say what's in it, but before opening you must go buy whatever box is currently at your local tacobell, if they carry 2 boxes get both. Put the food box on the X-box box, use it like a sad dinner table.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

I’m surprised it’s that high

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Gobbeldygook posted:

Every single dad gamer I know has a PS4. I don’t have time to gently caress around with new rear end poo poo that barely works half the time.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

like, significantly higher than I was expecting tbh

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Fallom posted:

It’s not an explicit search, it’s a keyword search and Google specifically excludes one of the keywords for the first few results. You can click a thing in the results to add it back.

If it type in {rear end magician} I want results with rear end and magician, not “rear end magician” as a phrase. What Google is doing is showing results for {rear end -magician} on the first page and then transitioning to {rear end magician}.

Type in "rear end" "magician" to make both words an exact match.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Paul Zuvella posted:

like, significantly higher than I was expecting tbh

I think this speaks more poorly towards the other platforms considering everyone is getting solo instances on Stadia. (Maybe people are still leveling? Is that a thing?) Or does the game run X number of hardcoded instances and try and fill them evenly? If that's the case they just need to decrease the Stadia instance count.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
I think I'm a dad gamer and Stadia has been what I've wanted it to be for the whole week it's been out.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
The key to dad gaming is to do it when everyone else is asleep

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Here's the statistics for Destiny 2 activities: https://warmind.io/activity

39% Story mode activities on Stadia vs a consistent 7% on the other platforms

3% Crucible vs 9-11%

0.2% Iron Banner vs 19-23%

Not a lot of imported characters, these are new players.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ErrEff posted:

Here's the statistics for Destiny 2 activities: https://warmind.io/activity

39% Story mode activities on Stadia vs a consistent 7% on the other platforms

3% Crucible vs 9-11%

0.2% Iron Banner vs 19-23%

Not a lot of imported characters, these are new players.

That's not surprising given there are so few players overall, you're going to end up with a skew towards single player activities because nobody likes queue times, also it's probably not fun.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Reddit stadia is very upset that they are getting Toom Raider for free in December because they all apparently bought it this week, such is the Founder's Burden they bore.

Imagine thinking google had some deep shelf of ready to go freebie software they were sitting on.

(They get Bad Rats for free in January)

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

shadow puppet of a posted:

Reddit stadia is very upset that they are getting Toom Raider for free in December because they all apparently bought it this week, such is the Founder's Burden they bore.

Imagine thinking google had some deep shelf of ready to go freebie software they were sitting on.

Tomb Raider... And Farming Simulator 19 :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The first Tomb Raider reboot has been like on every single subscription service already anyway, is practically always on sale, and it's currently at $3.99 on Steam. (Yeah I know it's not the "definitive edition" but whatever.)

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 26, 2019

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

shadow puppet of a posted:

This is the problem with having a limited supply of games and then trying to offer a rotation of free games.

They should have tried to get a new game, or maybe just wait a while. Like, yeah, people are always going to complain about a game they paid for being free, but you'll get a lot less of them overall.

Although there was one time where Sony did a PS+ sale for a game, and then a few weeks later, it was a free game on PS+. That kind of sucked.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

doingitwrong posted:

source your quotes
Google ShallowMind

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Tomb Raider... And Farming Simulator 19 :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The first Tomb Raider reboot has been like on every single subscription service already anyway, is practically always on sale, and it's currently at $3.99 on Steam. (Yeah I know it's not the "definitive edition" but whatever.)
Farming Simulator 19 would have been a great free launch title. It's exactly the sort of game for which Stadia is well-suited.

Giving away Tomb Raider, which is $4.49 for the GOTY edition on Steam, was pretty lovely. Tomb Raider is the cheapest game available on Stadia ($20, $10 with pro), so a lot of people probably bought it just to try it out on something besides Samurai Shodown & Destiny 2.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
Farming Simulator and Tomb Raider? Don't worry, once developers catch wind of Destiny 2's cumulative daily player count I'm sure they'll jump at the opportunity to throw countless engineering hours at porting their titles to Linux & Vulkan

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

an actual frog posted:

Farming Simulator and Tomb Raider? Don't worry, once developers catch wind of Destiny 2's cumulative daily player count I'm sure they'll jump at the opportunity to throw countless engineering hours at porting their titles to Linux & Vulkan

Porting to Linux is no that big a deal, just consider that the PS4 OS is based on FreeBSD. Stadia not being popular, though, that's not going to entice anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
It would be amusing if January's free games include another Tomb Raider game.