Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Sometimes dead is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
The Skin I Live In & In My Skin double feature. Which order do I show them in?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Add Under the Skin and In My Skin

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Also The Reflecting Skin and Lizard in a Woman's Skin.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Also Mysterious Skin. Which at my local cinema was written up in their description as a science fiction movie, and kind of didn't mention the main plot of the film. That caused some walkouts.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Kvlt! posted:

Add Under the Skin and In My Skin

So watch In My Skin twice?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I'd be fine with nothing more ever being done with the Friday the 13th franchise, except maybe video game stuff. These franchises from the 80s need to just die. It just leads to endless garbage sequels.
Hell no. We need more Jason. There’s so many ways to kill someone with random tools that haven’t been explored yet!

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Garbage sequels is what makes Friday the 13th wonderful

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Megasabin posted:

So watch In My Skin twice?
Cut out one of them (specifically Kvlt!'s) and add in Cold Skin.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

EL BROMANCE posted:

Also Mysterious Skin. Which at my local cinema was written up in their description as a science fiction movie, and kind of didn't mention the main plot of the film. That caused some walkouts.

so if you do the skin I live in and mysterious skin you have two really hosed up queerphobic movies, can we find ones hating on lesbians and bisexual people and go for the full package

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

The Senator Giroux posted:

Garbage sequels is what makes Friday the 13th wonderful

Yeah it was always a cynical cash in, that’s why it’s good.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I haven't seen it in a while, but how is Mysterious Skin queerphobic?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

I haven't seen it in a while, but how is Mysterious Skin queerphobic?

Eh, after looking into it more I was being a bit too hasty. Looks like it was actually written by a gay man, instead of just the common trope of "childhood rape makes you gay" often used to attack gay men.

The Skin I Live in though, gently caress that jesus christ.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

are you realling out here calling movies X phobic when you havent even watched them lmao

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I can see why someone would maybe think Mysterious Skin is a problem just based on synopsis alone, but yeah, the main character tells us that he was gay ever since he realized he had the hots for his moms boyfriends, well before he was molested.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

are you realling out here calling movies X phobic when you havent even watched them lmao

both movies match really, really horrifying stereotypes about queer people. I admitted I was having a kneejerk response to Mysterious Skin, but I know I'm right on the other.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

thats dumb as gently caress im not arguing about the specific movies but if you just read a plot summary and go X IS X PHOBIC you lose all the subtlety and nuance of a watching an actual film and will probably end up being wrong half the time (case in point: Mysterious Skin)

sounds like you wanna be outraged more than you wanna watch movies

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

thats dumb as gently caress im not arguing about the specific movies but if you just read a plot summary and go X IS X PHOBIC you lose all the subtlety and nuance of a watching an actual film and will probably end up being wrong half the time (case in point: Mysterious Skin)

sounds like you have a bunch of privilege and don't want to engage with marginalized people being repeatedly hurt by bad creative works

like the skin i live in's plot is one of the justifications my therapist used for performing conversion therapy on myself and other trans youth for decades, traumatizing me

so you can gently caress off

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Kvlt! posted:

Or maybe they just don't want to waste their precious time watching a bunch of bigoted films or encourage other people to watch films that reinforce bigoted ideas?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
All this time I just assumed The Skin I Live In was a soft remake of Eyes Without a Face based on the poster.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Drunkboxer posted:

All this time I just assumed The Skin I Live In was a soft remake of Eyes Without a Face based on the poster.

it is

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Kvlt! posted:

Regardless of agreeing with the read on the film or not this is garbage mindset.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I do think that taking a step back and taking more of an overview on a film is worthwhile, sometimes a few plot details aren't good enough to overtake a negative stereotype that's being presented by a film and that's probably also being absorbed by many in the audience.

Cast in point, The Silence of the Lambs. It's been discussed many times about how Thomas Harris wrote Jame Gumb specifically to be someone who isn't actually trans, he just thinks he is because he hates himself so much. Well, is that really any better? In the end, does it change the fact that many many people came away from the movie with this image of Buffalo Bill as a crazed, violent transsexual?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

The brief plot description I just read really makes it seem way different, outside of the whole crazed surgeon angle. But then again I guess I haven’t seen it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Drunkboxer posted:

The brief plot description I just read really makes it seem way different, outside of the whole crazed surgeon angle. But then again I guess I haven’t seen it.

The main difference is a huge spoiler that you can probably guess based on the context of this conversation.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
There is an argument to be made for actually experiencing the film before publicly lambasting it, though.

Also one for making a distinction between films that actually are opposed to something, and those that which aren't, but do lead the people watching them to impressions which would result from the former. For example, I've known people who watched The Wall and thought that Pink and his hammer army were cool and desirable, when the film-makers' point with them is the exact opposite. See Fight Club for another popularly misconstrued instance. In both cases, basing assessment on a synopsis would likely miss the opposing intent.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Drunkboxer posted:

Plot-wise yeah but it is 100% a tribute to/crypto-remake of that movie.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Darthemed posted:

There is an argument to be made for actually experiencing the film before publicly lambasting it, though.

Also one for making a distinction between films that actually are opposed to something, and those that which aren't, but do lead the people watching them to impressions which would result from the former. For example, I've known people who watched The Wall and thought that Pink and his hammer army were cool and desirable, when the film-makers' point with them is the exact opposite. See Fight Club for another popularly misconstrued instance. In both cases, basing assessment on a synopsis would likely miss the opposing intent.

I absolutely agree that watching a film is important to criticizing it as an artistic work, but it's also worth balancing that against just how tiring it is to be a marginalized person and be continually poo poo on and not wanting to see this poo poo again just to call it out.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I don't like the idea of having to tailor one's art according to the whims of the public, because the public is generally dumb as hell.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

What about to the whims of a madman?

(I see your avatar and I think about speed)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

its just dumb to come into a movie forum and lambast movies you havent even seen. like i poo poo on flanagan bc i earned it bc i sat thru his lovely movies.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I believe this is different

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

like i poo poo on flanagan bc i earned it bc i sat thru his lovely movies.

same but for your posts

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I'm kidding kvlt you're alright :hai:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Darthemed posted:

Sure, but at the same time if a film raises red flags to a prospective viewer its not the viewer's responsibility to watch it anyway just in case they got the wrong read. The OP deferred to the idea the film in question wasn't what they thought it was. Its not fair to accuse them of "just wanting to be offended" and that's a lovely toxic right wing mindset.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Origami Dali posted:

I don't like the idea of having to tailor one's art according to the whims of the public, because the public is generally dumb as hell.

I think that's a false choice. Film is artifice, it's about putting images together to convey some sort of meaning to people who will see it. But the images don't have that meaning until you put them together in a specific way that you think conveys the meaning you want to convey. It's at the core of film as an art form, so why not consider things like marginalized people and how the audience might interpret your thoughts on those issues when they see the film? As a director you're doing that in a thousand different ways already, so to say that you're not going to consider how the audience will interpret the film in a social justice context is a cop-out in my opinion.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

one man's awful movie is another man's homoerotic horror friday night thrill session

lookin at you NOES2

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

gey muckle mowser posted:

same but for your posts

shut up old man the future is now

jk ull all prob outlive me

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I'd be fine with nothing more ever being done with the Friday the 13th franchise, except maybe video game stuff. These franchises from the 80s need to just die. It just leads to endless garbage sequels.

firstly: Miller winning would mean no video game stuff, either, and there's a reasonable chance that all the existing sequels would be found to be in violation and taken out of circulation. when i say he wants to kill the franchise, i'm not being figurative or hyperbolic. his active goal in this, from what I understand, is to remove Jason Voorhees from pop culture, because Jason Voorhees is a perversion of his ideas.

secondly: F13 is probably the one franchise where you could just keep making endless sequels and have them not suck, because the base concept of "dude in hockey mask slaughters people" is pretty adaptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

STAC Goat posted:

Sure, but at the same time if a film raises red flags to a prospective viewer its not the viewer's responsibility to watch it anyway just in case they got the wrong read. The OP deferred to the idea the film in question wasn't what they thought it was. Its not fair to accuse them of "just wanting to be offended" and that's a lovely toxic right wing mindset.
Sure, if someone reads a two-sentence summary of a film and assumes that it would contain content they don't want to experience, they're completely justified in not watching it to find out whether the summary was fully illustrative. The problem comes when you go out and start attacking a film you haven't actually seen for content you're guessing it contains, and spreading uninformed vilification. That leads to situations like the one on this page, in which one marginalized person is attacking a work for being queerphobic, when it's actually a work by another marginalized person, one which draws significantly from their own experiences as a queer person.

Had someone who had actually experienced the work not stepped in to question the assumption, how many people (with little impetus to check Wikipedia, or who don't know Gregg Araki's background) would have come away from the exchange unfairly associating the title Mysterious Skin with homophobia?