Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Dongattack posted:

So is this still a catastrophe or is it starting to become a game now? Haven't read this thread or up on the game in like 2 years i think. Youtubers and streamers i follow have started to play it and the graphics look nice at least and the cat goon guy isn't making mock videos of it anymore.
This is absolutely the best time to buy in. I'd recommend a starter pack (only $45) and then upgrading your ship to a Hornet for about $90 more. I don't know what all these people in here bitch about, Star Citizen is pretty much done at this point and has hundreds of hours of content. Millions of people are in and having fun, and if you want, there's a free-fly event going on where you can experience all the fun for yourself for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I am always down for more Stimpire.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

TheAgent posted:

This is absolutely the best time to buy in. I'd recommend a starter pack (only $45) and then upgrading your ship to a Hornet for about $90 more. I don't know what all these people in here bitch about, Star Citizen is pretty much done at this point and has hundreds of hours of content. Millions of people are in and having fun, and if you want, there's a free-fly event going on where you can experience all the fun for yourself for free.

Just 90$ to buy in? Meh, this game was cool when you had to sell your house to buy a decent ship, now it's OBVIOUSLY normie central. #NotMySpaceSim

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

skeletors_condom posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a significant overlap between Musk cultists and CIG cultists.

Been a perfect circle of a venn diagram for years now

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

lmao at a roadmap showing that it takes months to add a sniper rifle to cryengine.

The best part about croberts fidelity is that he's an ignorant moron who doesn't even understand how gravity works. The gently caress is the point of a 'realistic' space sim without proper Newtonian physics?

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Dementropy posted:

I admit, when I first saw it, all I thought of was the scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark where the guy is trying to be all fancy with his sword and Indy just shoots him.

It took me a bit to understand what they were really trying to get across.

So I guess the person who made that didn't really think things out.

as far as i know the story is a bit different.
apparently harisson ford was ill that day, but they were planning to film a 1on1 fight.
ford did not feel fit enough and was like “cant i just shoot him?“
and they kept that in the film.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

TheAgent posted:

are you ok? i have some bulleit here if it would help

eXXon posted:

The best part about croberts fidelity is that he's an ignorant moron who doesn't even understand how gravity works. The gently caress is the point of a 'realistic' space sim without proper Newtonian physics?

"Realistic" in this case only means "exactly like all the Republican Space Fantasy/WW2 bullshit I consume."

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Dongattack posted:

So is this still a catastrophe or is it starting to become a game now? Haven't read this thread or up on the game in like 2 years i think. Youtubers and streamers i follow have started to play it and the graphics look nice at least and the cat goon guy isn't making mock videos of it anymore.

The most significant new feature of their what-have-we-done-all-year annual presentation was new weather effects. The weather effects were a demo and they aren't in the game and won't be released any time soon. The actual multicrew gameplay still doesn't exist.

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019
Can someone explain to me what Server Object Container Streaming means

Is it pretty much "So you can put a box somewhere without the game spazzing out'

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

echothreealpha posted:

Is it pretty much "So you can put a box somewhere without the game spazzing out'

Google "Interest Management MMO". There's a paper from 2006 if you're interested or some tutorials that explain the basics.

That's literally all this is.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

echothreealpha posted:

No, it won't fix game physics. When SOCS comes out, the game server will use less resources by not having to tell every player on the server your crate fell through the map. Progress!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Sarsapariller posted:

The most significant new feature of their what-have-we-done-all-year annual presentation was new weather effects. The weather effects were a demo and they aren't in the game and won't be released any time soon. The actual multicrew gameplay still doesn't exist.

Ah okay. Well, that all sounds pretty much exactly like what i heard 2-3 years ago then. Have you guys seen the people actually into this game ever question the insane pay2win aspect of it all or are they completely brainbroken at this point?

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019

SoftNum posted:

Google "Interest Management MMO". There's a paper from 2006 if you're interested or some tutorials that explain the basics.

That's literally all this is.

Contingency posted:

No, it won't fix game physics. When SOCS comes out, the game server will use less resources by not having to tell every player on the server your crate fell through the map. Progress!

ooof.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Dongattack posted:

Ah okay. Well, that all sounds pretty much exactly like what i heard 2-3 years ago then. Have you guys seen the people actually into this game ever question the insane pay2win aspect of it all or are they completely brainbroken at this point?

There are some that do, but the community quickly shouts them down, especially on the SC subreddit. Every criticism post seems to have to start with a huge disclaimer like "I LOVE STAR CITIZEN AND WANT IT TO SUCCEED, I'M NOT A CONCERN TROLL! PLEASE HEAR ME OUT!" and even then people will still call them a concern troll/FUD/goon. Most people there get pretty angry if you post anything other than screenshots, sycophantic praise, or dreams about what you'll do with your $$$$ JPGs. Most of the time if someone starts questioning, they just leave the community altogether, so you won't see the dissent there.

Oddly, the official forums actually have a lot more actual criticism, possibly because the mods aren't as active as the reddit volunteers. You'll regularly see people who gave up hope a long time ago angrily posting there, whereas on the subreddit they've had been banned long ago. Check out the thread on the ship delays that got announced the day before Citizencon, people got MAD.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 26, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

echothreealpha posted:

Translation: basic game feature that the server needs, should have been done before selling a single DLC ship

But the server also needs a million other things so its not like that alone is gonna make it an MMO

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dongattack posted:

They're slowly bleeding backers. People lose interest in the minuscule improvements and play other games for the most part. Lots of people who bought in at some point have stopped following it at all. Lots of those people are ITT even.

The thing is, the people who are really into the game, who have sunk $1,000+, they've got such massive sunk cost fallacy going on they CANNOT question it. It HAS to work. Or they all look like morons. That's also why funding keeps going, those who are already in for over $1,000 dare not let the project fail!

Look, you already spent $1,000. If you don't give them more, the project fails, and you get NOTHING for all your "investment".

Alternatively, if you spend just like, I dunno, a bit more, lets say $1,500 total, now the project can make it across the line and finish! And suddenly it all pays off, and you're living in a virtual matrix where people have to love you even though you're insufferable.

This is the cult mentality that keeps SC going. Its very toxic and unhealthy.

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019
Going through the recap thread, and I think Sarsapariller probably, has the most accurate take on why there wasn't any Squadron 42 trailers this Citizencon.

quote:

Sarsapariller posted:
They're not going to put out a big flashy demo at CitCon for the same reason they didn't put one out last year: All the big flashy demos were made by other companies, and they've burned everybody in the industry who could possibly work with them.

There is nobody at CIG competent enough to put together something like the sandworm demo, or the vertical slice. These guys can barely make sitting in a chair function correctly, you think they can put together 45 minutes of semi-interesting footage? All they ever produced for those things was the art assets- everything else was coming from other, better dev teams.

This year's CitCon will be a near-future preview of whatever poo poo assets they've managed to get working. It'll be thoroughly uninteresting and mostly focus on stuff that they will deliver in the next three months- new particle effects, new damage states, new missile contrails, whatever. Just random pretty poo poo. There won't be any promises or previews of big mechanics. That era is over. Chris is barely even connected to this thing anymore. I mean he really hasn't even appeared once in the last 6 months. His orders are to hunker down, don't say anything stupid, churn out minimal progress, and keep taking money until the last possible minute when he slams the doors and turns out the lights.

I guess that's all it is. Right now we are seeing what their team is capable of.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

echothreealpha posted:

Going through the recap thread, and I think Sarsapariller probably, has the most accurate take on why there wasn't any Squadron 42 trailers this Citizencon.

I guess that's all it is. Right now we are seeing what their team is capable of.

That whole section with the stealth mission and the trek through the snow is basically a stealth SQ42 setpiece, honestly, because it was all cobbled together demo poo poo that it will take them FOREVER to actually do in the PU.

That said, the word on reddit is that SQ42 reveal stuff always happens on the holiday stream anyway, so no one minded its absence here. If it goes AWOL there too, oh man.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Even if you buy into them waiting to say anything about SQ42 until the holidays it's still absolutely nuts they didn't even so much as mention it at their own convention.

It's releasing next year...

allegedly

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

echothreealpha posted:

God drat, I called it so far back that I completely forgot about said calling

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Zushio posted:

I am always down for more Stimpire.

I had a drink with the son of a bitch. It baffled him what tube to use.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Popete posted:

Even if you buy into them waiting to say anything about SQ42 until the holidays it's still absolutely nuts they didn't even so much as mention it at their own convention.

Didn't say it made sense, just that that's what they're saying.

Popete posted:

It's releasing next year...

allegedly

No, it's supposed to hit BETA next year. There's no final version release window.

But that begs the question whether CIG knows what a beta is, because it's supposed to be feature-complete.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I see the expo is going really well

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Rotten Red Rod posted:

There are some that do, but the community quickly shouts them down, especially on the SC subreddit. Every criticism post seems to have to start with a huge disclaimer like "I LOVE STAR CITIZEN AND WANT IT TO SUCCEED, I'M NOT A CONCERN TROLL! PLEASE HEAR ME OUT!" and even then people will still call them a concern troll/FUD/goon. Most people there get pretty angry if you post anything other than screenshots, sycophantic praise, or dreams about what you'll do with your $$$$ JPGs. Most of the time if someone starts questioning, they just leave the community altogether, so you won't see the dissent there.

Oddly, the official forums actually have a lot more actual criticism, possibly because the mods aren't as active as the reddit volunteers. You'll regularly see people who gave up hope a long time ago angrily posting there, whereas on the subreddit they've had been banned long ago. Check out the thread on the ship delays that got announced the day before Citizencon, people got MAD.

The people running the official Spectrum forum are employees of Clown Imperium Games and have to maintain some level of professionalism. Also, I would assume that they are privy to behind the scenes shenanigans and have a level of sympathy for the ones getting frustrated that the game is taking forever.

Now the Star Citizen subreddit? That is a classic case of the inmates running the asylum. All the crazies post there and they police themselves and it's all anonymous so they can be as lovely as they want. And they see their cause as righteous. Only the most faithful of the vanguard can hold the line against the encroaching fudsters and they will do it free of charge and will maintain order through fear and brutality. Any heretic not displaying the highest level of fealty to lord Roberts must be punished lest their creeping doubts worm their way in to the minds of the faithful.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

echothreealpha posted:

Hey, that's not fair. They can also drone on for hours about how the economy might work if they can ever get their poo poo together, or about alien languages that nobody will ever use but cost them thousands to develop, or about all the work they are doing to get loving clouds to work. Is that not enough to get you hyped?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/Lukas_Genever/status/1198908637772689408

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019

Strangler 42 posted:

Hey, that's not fair. They can also drone on for hours about how the economy might work if they can ever get their poo poo together, or about alien languages that nobody will ever use but cost them thousands to develop, or about all the work they are doing to get loving clouds to work. Is that not enough to get you hyped?

What hyped me most was seeing that they opened the keynote with the same way they opened 2948's, by getting a cup of coffee.

It was exciting looking at the probably marginally improved liquid simulation.

Speaking of, Lumberyard was updated with PhysX 4.1 in September but I'm sure the cloth and liquid implementation had nothing to do with it.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
Every couple of years or so I'll see some trailers or whatever for this game and I think, hey those are some cool looking spaceships, I kinda dig the art direction, maybe this is a real game now?

And then I'll look up a long play and there's still just so much janky poo poo, like even walking around and sitting in chairs and shooting guns, it all just looks fundamentally broken, and I'll poke my head into this thread and yep, same old poo poo that's been going on for years now.

Welp see you in 2022, SC thread.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Beet Wagon posted:

I see the expo is going really well

Needs the dashcon ball pit.

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?
if u havent read stimpire.txt in full get the gently caress out of this thread

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Inacio posted:

I've seen it mentioned time and time again. What is it? Should I be asking?

Glad you asked, print it after reading.

In the last 500 years, the Fourth Stimpire has dominated four systems, which it has united into one starzone, Stimsis. The Fourth Stimpire has origins from the Ten Empire War in which 10 of the United Stimpires revolted against each rules. All empires except for the fourth swore freedom upon their citizens. There is no free speech in the Fourth Stimpire, and all self-controlled transportation has been made illegal without undergoing painful medical verification methods, in which arteries are severed without pain resistant, operated entirely by machines. The way they work claim to be the most hygenic and healthy way possible, but these machines often rub against pain points, causing great deals of pain to patients. The heart is then extracted from the body and placed into a glass grinding machine. Various energy centers are also dissected and replaced with dangerous transplants. After the painful, 52 hour surgical procedure, patients will then have to use a fused guidance tool, which pumps painful resistors into the body every 2 hours. The pain they have caused is so bad, the victim would freeze in a tense position. They would then collapse afterwards.

Sexual stimulation in any way within the grounds of the Fourth Stimpire is strictly prohibited, and anyone detected even touching their sexual organs will be subjected to a penectomy or if the offender was a female, they would then have a razor inserted into their ovaries. They would pump a blue solution into the womb until the stitchings burst. Offenders would also be forced to show their operated areas in public, and they would always harass and punch them to a pulp, against their will.

Otherwise, offenders would be tazed with the worst type of electricity in the systematic district, causing so much pain, the victim would scream and flail in madness. The pain would also triple every second, but no death would be incurred. This is also used in combat against enemy units, which is why all UEE forces must wear the upgraded suit to block this effect.

However, enertainment is also questionable in UEE grounds. Sporting events end with the losing team being rounded into a grinder and shredded on live television, boxing matches end with the loser having their hands removed without anasthesia, flight races would end with the losers having their arms and legs removed, then being injected with insanity, for entertainment. People are also forced into these events, by undergoing a painful 127 hour procedure which involves tweaking the muscles so they will not listen to brain commands, and then having a painful drug injected which also causes madness if the player is not sporting. This is all for entertainment, and anyone not watching any of it during sporting times and cheering for the winning team, they will be imprisoned into galactic camps.

Snuff films are also broadcast, and actors are actually murdered just for entertainment. Stealth droids also guide these forced actors into behaving exactly as the director dreams, otherwise they will be punished by being placed into a macerator and having their execution written into the film. Any film that does not feature someone being murdered will be burned and the entire crew behind it will be executed in the most grotesque way possible - vivisection.

All executions are broadcast, and anyone who misses even a millisecond, even by blinking, will be executed. All citizens must boo to the person being executed, and the family is gathered to be injected with eternators, which cause pain forever, making them immoral but feeling the pain tenfold every millisecond. They cannot pass out, but they will feel like it forever.

Conquests by this Stimpire end in the planet being razed, and all the citizens being executed in the same way as their citizens are. The planet is then destroyed and all remnants of it are removed, and any memories of it will be erased instantly from civil minds. People who are also killed are also erased from memories, and all memories of them, including toys and pictures, are destroyed.

Prisoners undergo 40,000 years of relentless and endless labor, and anyone not complying is sentenced to the eternator injection. All prisoners injected with eternators are placed into capsules and launched into far space, then the room is closed tight to ensure maximum insanity. Some prisoners are also subjected to the removal of blood, the lungs, the liver, the genitals, the skeleton, the muscles, the eyes, and even the injection of pressure. Prisoners sentenced to pressure chambers are locked in until they are inflated to a high level. The decompression is then stopped to make sure they are inflated and uncomfortable.

Children born on the 14th of July are subjected to the removal of their skeleton and an implant of a silver liquid to replace it. The nervous sysem is also injected in various parts to ensure it is five times more sensitive than the average.

Restaurants also are ordered to serve civil meat, and anyone attending must give themself up to be cooked into a grotesque meal. They are cooked alive, undergoing extreme pain, and are then subjected to industrial grinders and blenders. The Stimpire orders at least 1 million citizens to be dispatched every day, as they are afraid the population may overthrow them. But only one planet is cared for, and the rest are banned from eating, drinking, talking, using technology, touching anyone, wearing unauthorized clothes, touching buildings, or walking a centimeter out of designated routes. Civil enforcers are on every planet, and they are engineered so that they are 40 times larger than the 300 quadrillion population. At least 7 billion die every 12 hours under this rule.

Thoughts are also surveyed, and anyone who does not think anything to loving the Stimpire with more than their capabilities will be sentenced to a prison. Prisoners who are punished for this violation will meet their greatest fear, only to have it amplified so they will turn insane as they imagine it exactly as they fear it. They then undergo a painful extraction of all fluids, to be replaced by a toxin which causes permanent irritation. The unknown substance keeps the subject aging normally, except they will never die. Prisoners punished in this way are unable to be reverted, despite many efforts, and they will never be able to be disposed.

The sickening truths have been revealed only today, and invigilation teams are still investigating the truths without setting foot in the galactic space of this sickening empire.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Popete posted:

I know they had problems in the past with networking issues, especially on the popular hub systems with hundreds of players. Videos of older battles with hundreds of player are basically a slide show.

Eve is a much less demanding game than SC and has been in the works for decades. The thing that kills SC for me is that they have yet to address the 50 player limit and I don't think they will ever be able to truly handle a significant player population.

One of the major things they did to improve performance was to offload everything that was specific to the character but not relevant to the ship/situation to a different server- Eve used to bring the entire character onto a specific star system's node, personal inventory tracking, character sheet, missions and faction relations and all, but they decoupled that from the system simulation and put it on its own server.

Improved performance pretty good.

But it's not FIDELITOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUS

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Zzr posted:

stimpire.txt

So beautiful. Really inspiring that the 'verse can create such engaging lore.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Warhawk109 posted:

How long was that spaceman out in -120 C? With just a jacket, no gloves, no balaclava. I don’t think these people have ever been out in legit cold weather before.
Makes a certain degree of sense, I suppose.
The LA area isn't exactly known for being cold. I don't think Austin is, either. The Manchester area has comparatively mild climate for northern Europe and Frankfurt doesn't seem to be that cold.
I don't know where Chris has lived before, but maybe he's almost as clueless about cold climate as he is about space :D

Warhawk109 posted:

I think he’d be well past the point of shivering, and into severe frostbite territory.

As someone who’s experienced -40, -50 C temperatures routinely. poo poo is no joke. Typically they won’t even let us work when it’s that cold. If they do, we go out for 5 minutes at a time and warm up for 15 minutes after, before going out again.

Somewhere between -20 C and -30 C is where they tend to cancel/delay professional ski competition events and such, if I recall correctly.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

0 F is -17.78 C. Add in wind, and given downhill skiing will have wind, whether the weather provides it or the movement of the skier does, and you can get into dangerous territory pretty quick.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

TheAgent posted:

^^^ This.

Imagine a game where every crater on every moon has more content than Skyrim. Now imagine a universe of such moons. Add planets, wormholes, spaceworms, myriad sentient alien races each with their own languages, all of this tied together with a Quantum economic simulator.

Now stop imagining, and start spending.

Star Citizen.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Dongattack posted:

“I’m willing to put $20000 into this game! I’m ready to SPEND IT ALL!!!”

A direct quote from their most popular streamer of 2019.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Sarsapariller posted:

Nobody has ever, ever cared about SQ42 except as a victory lap to take when things are going well. Nobody backed for it, nobody's particularly interested in playing it. It's a curio that Chris keeps dragging back out and everyone else has learned to tolerate. Now, of course, it is also the lead weight around the neck of a drowning company, but whaddayagonnado

IIRC wasn't it one of the major things in the original pitch though? Like the video centered around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

UnknownTarget posted:

IIRC wasn't it one of the major things in the original pitch though? Like the video centered around it.

As with most Crobberts pitches it was intentionally vague, but you could make the case that it was/wasn't depending on what you wanted to see.

The pitch posted:

Star Citizen brings the visceral action of piloting interstellar craft through combat and exploration to a new generation of gamers at a level of fidelity never before seen. At its core Star Citizen is a destination, not a one-off story. It's a complete universe where any number of adventures can take place, allowing players to decide their own game experience. Pick up jobs as a smuggler, pirate, merchant, bounty hunter, or enlist as a pilot, protecting the borders from outside threats. Chris Roberts has always wanted to create one cohesive universe that encompasses everything that made Wing Commander and Privateer / Freelancer special. A huge sandbox with a complex and deep lore allowing players to explore or play in whatever capacity they wish. That universe is Star Citizen.

A rich universe focused on epic space adventure, trading and dogfighting in first person.

Single Player – Offline or Online(Drop in / Drop out co-op play)

Persistent Universe (hosted by US)

Mod-able multiplayer (hosted by YOU)

No Subscriptions

No Pay to Win

They violated every single one of those bullet points, even the one about subscriptions. I mean drat.