Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
Turkey loving sucks too OP
i dont give a gently caress OP im gonna watch football and drink till i cant see
ants on a log
good gravy
Canned cranberry sauce rules bitch!!!
Goku Racist Unkle drunk at dinner. Screaming about millennials.
View Results

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Probably be a bitch keeping the temp up long enough though.

Liquid oxygen will get those temps up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Burt Sexual posted:

Ironically later in life she took several trips to Italy and learned how to cook some of the best poo poo ever. We don’t discuss squash timeframe.

My mother is a cook of contrasts. Her chili is a sad not-spicy paste of beef and beans over rice (?!) yet she also makes the best lasagna I’ve ever had.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Post hosed up weird food instead of hosed up goon opinions about normal Thanksgiving options, please and thank you.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
gently caress that, so spatchcocked looked great on Serious Eats and seems to be the general consensus here yeah? Not planning on doing a big turkey.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Mummy Xzibit posted:

gently caress that, so spatchcocked looked great on Serious Eats and seems to be the general consensus here yeah? Not planning on doing a big turkey.

Yeah, cooks in half the time and all the skin gets crispy rather than just the top.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Grey liver stuffing, which always had a place of honor next to the delicious brown 75% pork sausage stuffing at my grandmothers. Gross French traditional love of offal.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Yeah, cooks in half the time and all the skin gets crispy rather than just the top.

Do you think i'd need to make any changes for a smaller turkey? Looking at about 10lbs or less here.

^^^^^
Liver is rich and delicious.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Mummy Xzibit posted:

Do you think i'd need to make any changes for a smaller turkey? Looking at about 10lbs or less here.

^^^^^

Changes such as what?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Post hosed up weird food instead of hosed up goon opinions about normal Thanksgiving options, please and thank you.

Maybe you start instead of contributing absolutely nothing.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Mummy Xzibit posted:

^^^^^

I’d taste it as an adult and see but everyone who made it is dead.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Changes such as what?

Cook time/brining/anything? I'll be honest, never done a turkey before. Great if it's just a matter of same recipe, smaller bird.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Cooking a turkey for a group is pressure, let’s not gloss over that. It’s a large quantity, takes a lot of time, and people are dependent on you to do well. If you gently caress it up, it’s Beanie weenies for mom and grandpa. gently caress.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Burt Sexual posted:

Cooking a turkey for a group is pressure, let’s not gloss over that. It’s a large quantity, takes a lot of time, and people are dependent on you to do well. If you gently caress it up, it’s Beanie weenies for mom and grandpa. gently caress.

I know someone that forgot to take the plastic bag with the giblets out. Whole dinner was ruined, on account of the kitchen being full of acrid plastic smoke.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Burt Sexual posted:

Beanie weenie

Please don't share my patented sex move.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

ask your mom how long you should microwave a 25 lbs turkey for

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Pussy Quipped posted:

My mother loves creamed pearl onions and makes them every Thanksgiving and I'm pretty sure she is the only person that eats them as well.

They are gross.

Its just tiny gross onions in a bunch of butter and cream.

We have something like that, it's peas and pearl onions then you mix in a can of white sauce (Aunt Penny's White Sauce). It is better than it has any right to be and I love it.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Mummy Xzibit posted:

Cook time/brining/anything? I'll be honest, never done a turkey before. Great if it's just a matter of same recipe, smaller bird.

Oh. I’d brine the same amount of time. Spatchcocking will cut the oven time down but even a smaller turkey will take a little while. Google will be your friend there. For seasoning I like to do a compound butter with salt, pepper, and herbes de Provence and shove it under the skin as well as on top.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
For those dumbasses like me

The real term is to "spatchcock." Alan Davidson explains in The Oxford Companion to Food: "The theory is that the word is an abbreviation of 'dispatch the cock,' a phrase used to indicate a summary way of grilling a bird after splitting it open down the back and spreading the two halves out flat."

Dispatch the cock immediately!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Burt Sexual posted:

Maybe you start instead of contributing absolutely nothing.

Dinner's ready, Burt.

:krust::krust::krust:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

*children start crying*

*contacts international criminal court*

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
My family makes a stuffing I adore that I have never been able to get anyone else to eat. Bread, celery, sausage, thyme, and a fuckton of butter. It's so greasy that everyone I've had try it finds it inedible but I will eat it until it slows my blood down enough that I can't move my limbs anymore

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
do they make canned whole turkey?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

No, no, yes, maybe, yes

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Chinatown posted:

do they make canned whole turkey?

holy lord

CANNED WHOLE CHICKEN

serve this as a side

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

dudeness posted:

We have something like that, it's peas and pearl onions then you mix in a can of white sauce (Aunt Penny's White Sauce). It is better than it has any right to be and I love it.

oh poo poo! I haven't even thought about that since my great aunt died like, decades ago, that would show up at her house. I loved it as a kid because pearl onions are like broccoli (you feel like a giant eating things like that.) (broccoli is trees.) (pearl onions are normal onions.)

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Eldercain posted:

My family makes a stuffing I adore that I have never been able to get anyone else to eat. Bread, celery, sausage, thyme, and a fuckton of butter. It's so greasy that everyone I've had try it finds it inedible but I will eat it until it slows my blood down enough that I can't move my limbs anymore

My family makes most of the stuff on here, except the midwest WASP poo poo like the marshmellows and the green onion casserole.

Pearl Onions - AMAZING, but you really need to dump a ton of butter and salt and pepper in that roux, otherwise it's just boiled onions.
Stuffing - likewise, can't say for sure how much butter is too much, but depending on your definition of 'fuckton' our stuffing is really close - no sausage but giblets Bell's instead of just thyme, and turned every thanksgiving until my siblings hit midteens or so into a screamfight over who was getting more stuffing, because if you Stuff. The. loving. Bird. With. It. there's only really like, ten servings total, and everyone's angling to get in as many helpings as they can before it runs out. Now that we're adults we only jokingly fight but everyone still clocks exactly how much everyone else in the house eats.
Gravy - homemade dripping stuff. Don't understand what the gently caress makes people buy it from a can, you put flour in the grease and stir, that's basically it. Some water to deglaze the pan. Next thing to run out, and like the stuffing, as eagerly hoarded as guzzoline in a Mad Max movie.
Acorn Squash - Chop it in half, throw in a bunch of butter, a bunch of brown sugar, some nutmeg and maple syrup. By weight of ingredients it has more in common with cookie dough than a vegetable, if you can't get down with it, or your mom knows a way of loving that up? God help you.
Any root crops - perfectly serviceable gravy receptacles. Once the gravy is gone, meh.
Brussels Sprouts - was very distressed when Sprouts became a trendy pub grub at frou-frou bougie joints, because making delicious sprouts for people in a country where most people can't boil water was like a closeup magic trick until about 2009 or so
Turkey - literally who the gently caress cares, you soaked the juices into the stuffing and what escaped and dripped out became gravy. All the flavor ended up in two OTHER foods. Eat the skin maybe, let people pick their teeth with those disgusting tendons in the legs. Did a friendsgiving a decade back, friend vetoed in-bird stuffing because she wanted it to be 'moist' and insisted on StoveTop. Wet white meat and damp croutons for thanks-giving. We don't talk, anymore.
Alcohol - starts Thanksgiving Eve until about 28 or so when friends get married and stop coming home, after that must absolutely start as early as possible and be maintained at a 2-beer level buzz all day. No more, and unless you're under 18 or a frail 80 something year old grandparent, no less.

The True Meaning of Thanksgiving is it's Belly Christmas gang. Nothing to do but get fat, no gift stress, no spending, no food stress even, if you do it right (last year I fed five no problem, woke at 6, started drinking at 7, and bone appetite at 4. Learn to cook, then learn to plan, it's nothing) hang out with the fambly. Then again you need:
1. Family/Friends that aren't shitheads
2. One or two members of either group that can cook
3. 12 beers, a half bottle of wine and a few hits of weed (over the course of like 14 hours, I'm not an animal).
Worked for me last year.

If you are a goon with your life all jacked like everyone is saying, I'll gladly kitchen 911 you guys. Gimme a plane ticket, booze, drugs, a kitchen with actual equipment and absolute authority to chuck any toxic friends family members and it'll be a Thanksgiving like you ain't never had.

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Nov 26, 2019

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
I can't remember if it's 3 or 4 sticks of butter with a couple pounds of sausage, undrained

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How do so many people gently caress up turkey so badly? Seriously just brine it.

Cook beets skinned and then boiled and they won't taste like petrichor

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
:allbuttons:

https://twitter.com/jaymesPRS/status/1198303090065264640

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I really hate green bean casserole. It’s such a nasty dish. French style green beans slathered in cream of mushroom soup. Maybe some onion straws sprinkled on top. Blech.

It always makes an appearance at every Thanksgiving dinner and everyone expects it to show up, but everyone just takes the one polite spoonful and leaves 3/4 of a casserole dish to throw away in a couple weeks.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

google -> images -> Smörgåstårta

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Giant_Pupils posted:

I really hate green bean casserole. It’s such a nasty dish. French style green beans slathered in cream of mushroom soup. Maybe some onion straws sprinkled on top. Blech.

It always makes an appearance at every Thanksgiving dinner and everyone expects it to show up, but everyone just takes the one polite spoonful and leaves 3/4 of a casserole dish to throw away in a couple weeks.

I made that once out of curiosity and it was loving gross. I used a ton of herbs and it still came out tasting like salt and grease. Never again.

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

This was a company provided Thanksgiving lunch from a few years back when they tried to cater Thanksgiving food. I just remember everything being so watery.

This was the cranberry pan I photographed for reasons unknown.

Now they just do Thanksgiving tacos.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
Green bean casserole. Yuck.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Giant_Pupils posted:

I used to hate green bean casserole a ton until I finally had a good one. If you don't just make them from canned garbage they can be a nice mix of rich, fresh, and spicy (not hot).

I've never liked spatchcocking turkeys at home because horizontal space is at a premium in most home ovens, so I've taken to cutting the legs off and starting them early. I've had consistent issues with the dark meat taking way longer than the white, and I think that leads to a lot of overdone turkeys. I also always inject the legs and breast with a butter/white wine/garlic solution, and I go heavy on the fragrant herbs (sage is key, but marjoram is the secret ingredient to great poultry) in the skin and cavity.

I'll spatchcock a chicken every time though.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

So like this then?

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012
thankful I don't have to cook or work. Maybe a Celeste Pizza is on the horizon for the turkey day, god bless everyone, and most importantly, family.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Celeste is a stripper name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I like green bean casserole, but then again I am extremely midwestern, so it's probably why