Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Just watched Ferris Bueller's Day Off and I wonder if it's got anything significant to say about Boomers. Uptight dads whose only love in the world is the classic car they never let anyone touch certainly seems to have been a theme. Though I think the protagonists are more Gen X? Probably something about how Gen Xers realised early on they're going to spend their entire lives trying to get out from under their overbearing self-obsessed boomer parents.

There is a classic collector car market that will probably totally crater when the boomers die off, because the next generations don't care and will just sell the ones they inherit immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Vinyl on the inside isn't half bad. Cheap, relatively durable, easy to repair with duct tape. It'll scorch the underside of your thighs, but that's what you get for wearing shorts in the summer.

There's an Etsy shop that makes poo poo like guitar and camera straps, wallets, and belts from old 70's car vinyl and I miss how colorful the insides of automobiles once were.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Krispy Wafer posted:

There's an Etsy shop that makes poo poo like guitar and camera straps, wallets, and belts from old 70's car vinyl and I miss how colorful the insides of automobiles once were.

I'll agree to that. I really do wish that interiors today had more choices than Black or Tan/cream/beige, and for the sporty version, black with colored stitching. Gimme a blue or red

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
Actually if you look back at the colors most things came in in the 1970s you’ll find that it was insane, this is true of car interiors and furniture and bathrooms

Not that I don’t like some more color but lets not go full 1970s again

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Iron Crowned posted:

I'll agree to that. I really do wish that interiors today had more choices than Black or Tan/cream/beige, and for the sporty version, black with colored stitching. Gimme a blue or red

I took an uber once that had a cherry red interior. It felt very attention-getting.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The trade off is a whole lot less pea soup green everywhere, so you take the bad with the good

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

Actually if you look back at the colors most things came in in the 1970s you’ll find that it was insane, this is true of car interiors and furniture and bathrooms

One of the wonderful things about watching movies from the 70's in HD is the wallpaper. Everything was either wall papered and it was always colorful and intricate.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

PostNouveau posted:

There is a classic collector car market that will probably totally crater when the boomers die off, because the next generations don't care and will just sell the ones they inherit immediately.

I’ll see ads for classic car shows/boat shows occasionally, and I can’t imagine many younger people going to them.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
Boomers love calling everyone under 40 Millennials but I'm starting to wonder. I'm 35, an older Millennial, but feel like I have nothing in common with Xers. I can have great conversations my wife's Zoomer cousins about a myriad of topics. It probably just goes to show how bullshit the entire idea of generations is.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Boomers love calling everyone under 40 Millennials but I'm starting to wonder. I'm 35, an older Millennial, but feel like I have nothing in common with Xers. I can have great conversations my wife's Zoomer cousins about a myriad of topics. It probably just goes to show how bullshit the entire idea of generations is.

Only Boomers refer to Gen Z as "Zoomers," sorry for your lots

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I thought zoomers were gen z kids with boomer mindsets and the boomers were just using the word wrong D:

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Saw two boomers on harleys with matching Harley outfits and both their harleys matched the outfits. POWMIA and trump flag on both of course.

Don't shame people for... *checks notes* their legitimate economic anxieties.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I think the classic cars will just advance a decade. Gen-X doesn't care about Studebakers, but they'll pay through the nose for a cherry 1980 's Jeep Wagoner. Which makes sense because parts are going to become increasingly difficult to get for the old old cars and younger generations have no childhood memories of 1950's Cadillacs. Already 70's muscle car prices are sky high and don't even think about a 70's era Toyota Land Cruiser or Bronco.

Which means 60 year old Millennials will be restoring 90's era Ford Tauruses for a daily driver because they have no money.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

DorkusMalorkus posted:

I mean I figured/hoped that was the case. At least you provided relevant thread content

Im making my way thru the thread and had to call back over 200 pages to laugh at this dumbass who can't tell obvious satire.

DeathCrabForCutie
Jul 14, 2019
oh fuc-
Classic cars were death traps anyway. Solid metal frames with no crumple zones means that during a crash all the force is transferred to the squishy bodies inside.

purple death ray posted:

The trade off is a whole lot less pea soup green everywhere, so you take the bad with the good

Honestly, I'll gladly take spearmint green and trippy patterns over all the BEIGE gen Xers seem to love. gently caress beige.

DeathCrabForCutie fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 27, 2019

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Whoria Discordia posted:

Classic cars were death traps anyway. Solid metal frames with no crumple zones means all that force is transferred to the squishy bodies inside.

Honestly, I'll gladly take spearmint green and trippy patterns over all the BEIGE gen Xers seem to love. gently caress beige.

Any color but earth tones are selling out.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

PostNouveau posted:

This is happening to Elvis memorabilia right now.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

gently caress it, just abolish seat belt laws and let the bodies fly. Darwin at work.

While I agree with you in spirit, I'd prefer to have emergency rooms not clogged with morons so people who actually deserve help can get it.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Krispy Wafer posted:

I think the classic cars will just advance a decade. Gen-X doesn't care about Studebakers, but they'll pay through the nose for a cherry 1980 's Jeep Wagoner. Which makes sense because parts are going to become increasingly difficult to get for the old old cars and younger generations have no childhood memories of 1950's Cadillacs. Already 70's muscle car prices are sky high and don't even think about a 70's era Toyota Land Cruiser or Bronco.

Which means 60 year old Millennials will be restoring 90's era Ford Tauruses for a daily driver because they have no money.

Take a look at 90’s Japanese supercar prices, they’re already getting insane.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

e.pilot posted:

Take a look at 90’s Japanese supercar prices, they’re already getting insane.

First gen LFAs, holy poo poo.

Beachcomber posted:

While I agree with you in spirit, I'd prefer to have emergency rooms not clogged with morons so people who actually deserve help can get it.

Yeah, I’m not particularly interested in seeing the brains of some boomer splattered all over my windshield.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

quote:

Respect works very differently today than it did in years past. Millennials and Gen Z don’t automatically accord respect to older generations; they expect it to be earned. However, if they feel respected first, they quickly reciprocate. To older generations it may feel backward,

well there's your problem

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I went to a classic car show with my dad and my favorite car there, parked among a row of Mustangs, was an immaculate late 80s Honda Civic. My hero.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Beachcomber posted:

Oh god, when I lived in Memphis they were putting the finishing touches on a huge renovation at Graceland that jacked the ticket prices up to $100 to see everything. They're probably going to lose a ton of money if they planned on people giving a gently caress about Elvis for more than 10 more years or so

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

PostNouveau posted:

Oh god, when I lived in Memphis they were putting the finishing touches on a huge renovation at Graceland that jacked the ticket prices up to $100 to see everything. They're probably going to lose a ton of money if they planned on people giving a gently caress about Elvis for more than 10 more years or so

As long as Priscilla and Lisa Marie are alive, they'll milk it as much as they can.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

well there's your problem

I remember reading somewhere that the ambiguity here is that there are two meanings of "respect": to treat with a baseline of dignity, and to treat as an authority. When Boomers say "Respect me or I won't respect you", what they're really saying is "Treat me as an authority, or I won't give you basic human dignity".

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

PostNouveau posted:

I love that Graceland is smack in the middle of a shithole called Whitehaven.

While in town, go visit Memphis' own statue of liberty, on Winchester on the way east out of the city.

It's the tacky piece of poo poo holding a gold cross skyward.

I escaped Memphis in 2015 and I'd sooner see it burnt to the loving ground than live there again.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 27, 2019

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I love that Graceland is smack in the middle of a shithole called Whitehaven.

Part of the renovations were to make it so you can't even see the mansion from anywhere for free.

My parents wanted to see it, and it turns out the only way to see it is to pay $20 to get into their parking lot.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's like, two minutes from Mississippi, too.

There used to be a Graceland 2 (or too, or something) that was a fans' replica of graceland with all sorts of memorabilia. Dude would give tours at any hour, on any day, didn't care, just loved him some goddamn Elvis and shared with all interested. Then he died and I'm relatively sure it's just shut down now. Shame if it is.

E: here's more about it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graceland_Too

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I don't give the smallest poo poo about Elvis, but I did the Graceland tour about 4 years ago and it was a good tour.

I also enjoy that a giant pyramid boondoggle was turned into a Bass Pro Shops.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Nov 27, 2019

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Does Memphis have a statue of Jerry Lawler anywhere?

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Beachcomber posted:

oh! Elvis and baby boomers...reminds me of this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yL7XvWDGVM

(its about how elvis/rock n roll culture was a new "army" for young Americans)

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Does anyone have a good article about Boomer memorabilia etc becoming worthless? That sounds like a good read.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Thesaurus posted:

Does anyone have a good article about Boomer memorabilia etc becoming worthless? That sounds like a good read.

Sorry, Nobody Wants Your Parents' Stuff

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nextavenue/2017/02/12/sorry-nobody-wants-your-parents-stuff/#1d502b6424ed

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

May I direct you to the show Hoarders.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Awesome, thanks.

When my grandparents died, my Boomer relatives were desperately combing through and trying to pawn off their old junk. Like piles of low quality teacups and ugly decor and souvenirs from the 70s. I ended up just taking a cast iron pan. A Boomer aunt proactively "saved" my wife a single China teacup (so useful without the complete set!) that had no emotional significance for anyone. I recently gave it to Goodwill. I think a bunch of relatives now have the old crap in their closets, in addition to their own junk.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

FogHelmut posted:

I also enjoy that a giant pyramid boondoggle was turned into a Bass Pro Shops.

The pyramid rules. It's an insane boondoggle and must lose millions of dollars every year because there's always like ... a dozen cars tops in the parking lot.

They have a fake river with real gators in it and you can rent fake swamp cabins on what used to be the mezzanine of the basketball arena.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

FogHelmut posted:

I work with a guy who prints out emails then scans them to PDF and emails them to me as an attachment.

Not sure if that's worse than naming servers after GenX childhood toys.

"I need access to Megatron."
Why?
"I need to print."
Megatron is the WMS server. You want Panthro. Unless you're on the West Coast, then its Man-At-Arms.

Doing any of these steps should be a hate crime. Doing all of them should be grounds for capital punishment.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Lmao some of the boomer responses to that article

quote:

I believe it is the responsibility of the living to “proudly” dispose of their family members’ accrued stuff … Articles like this one are tagging The Parents’ stuff as a problem. SHAME!!

Also references to parents having made kids "promise" that they'd never get rid of something after they die... I love you mom, but your nutcracker collection is going in the trash! (Actually, my siblings will hoard it)

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

It's like, two minutes from Mississippi, too.

There used to be a Graceland 2 (or too, or something) that was a fans' replica of graceland with all sorts of memorabilia. Dude would give tours at any hour, on any day, didn't care, just loved him some goddamn Elvis and shared with all interested. Then he died and I'm relatively sure it's just shut down now. Shame if it is.

E: here's more about it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graceland_Too

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

lol @ the person whose cherished family heirloom was clearly stolen from the DuPonts.

quote:

One of Kylen’s clients inherited a set of beautiful gold-trimmed teacups, saucers and plates. Her mother had told her she’d received them as a gift from the DuPonts because she had nursed for the legendary wealthy family. Turns out, the plates were made for the DuPonts. The client decided to keep them due to the fantastic story.

No judgment. I'd steal poo poo from the DuPonts if I worked in their home too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

SHAME!!