Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Fish Noise posted:

and he didn't even have nonlethal orders at that point!

sure it makes sense not to make too much of a mess of the specific person a T-800 wants clothes from, but at least three other people in that scene could've ended real badly, but nah

I think the guy with a switchblade in his shoulders is probably going to physical therapy for a while. Also the guy who gets hit in the spine with a tear gas canister probably isn't walking again (that one makes me wince every single time).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Fish Noise posted:

one gets smacked in the face, one gets thrown, and only the guy who manages to get in a stab gets punched through.

it's like they have a Possible Responses list for when someone's within reach and 3/4 of the entries are just duplicates of "throw them," with one "throw this rear end in a top hat."

basically if you ever get got by a T-800, hope you aren't the poor fucker who rolls "toilet dunk"

We've looked inside the Terminator's head in T1. We know they are at least capable of being polite.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Combat Options:

- Shoot gun
- Walk menacingly
> Throw biker at wall
- Give up
- Throw biker through window

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
- disarm
- dis-arm

edit: wait poo poo thats wookies

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
It makes sense from an infiltration standpoint. The police response to 'some big naked guy kicked the poo poo out of some bikers' is going to be far slower and less intense than 'a guy ripped these bikers in half in front of a bar full of people.' He's laying as low as possible until he can get a bead on John, otherwise he risks bringing additional heat from the police (and the T-1000) on him.

Of course the real reason is that they wanted Arnold to be the Good Guy and it would have slightly ruined the twist reveal if the marketing hadn't poo poo that bed immediately. Honestly it would have flowed better if the action was more ambiguous, like the T-1000's. In his scene it looks like Robert Patrick just knocks the cop out with a punch to the solar plexus, though on a rewatch you realize he's killing the cop like he does with everyone else he copies.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Roadie posted:

That's part of why I really like that one opening scene in Genisys with the T-800. It gives a real good sense of two weighty robots fighting each other with plenty of inertia and a certain amount of clumsiness to it.

The T-800 fight in Genisys is pretty good, although it is marred by the sub-standard punk casting. They should've used the de-aging effect on Paxton and the other guy at least.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Yeah that part always confused me. They spent all that money on Arnold but the guys they cast are not even close in looks or attitude to the original punks.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yeah that part always confused me. They spent all that money on Arnold but the guys they cast are not even close in looks or attitude to the original punks.

Yeah, and you wouldn't believe how bad their Kyle Reese was too!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I re-watched Terminator 3 on account of this thread last night and boy is it all the excesses of the year 2003 in blockbusters in a highly-condensed ball. Enormous reliance on CG that hasn't held up at all for tons of shots. Female character whose arc is that she just learns to accept her destiny, but it's OK because she's smarter than John. Also, it feels very small-scale and pedestrian compared to Terminator 2 due to a limited visual imagination compared to Cameron's stuff.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Wild T posted:

It makes sense from an infiltration standpoint. The police response to 'some big naked guy kicked the poo poo out of some bikers' is going to be far slower and less intense than 'a guy ripped these bikers in half in front of a bar full of people.' He's laying as low as possible until he can get a bead on John, otherwise he risks bringing additional heat from the police (and the T-1000) on him.

I think I've noted this before, but the first thing that Phonebook does after getting his disguise is steal a gun - even though it's obviously extremely risky to do so. Why does he need a gun so badly?

They're designed to use guns - painfully slow reflexes and lovely tunnel vision means they suck at close combat unless the target is stationary. Even then, Phonebook failed to kill a sleeping dude.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

RBA Starblade posted:

Combat Options:

- Shoot gun
- Walk menacingly
> Throw biker at wall
- Give up
- Throw biker through window

Find truck full of liquid nitrogen

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Fish Noise posted:

I'm looking at the game on youtube out of curiosity, and SMG pointing out that the termies really are kind of dumb has vastly improved my enjoyment of moments like this.

my new Terminator concept: in the future war, the Resistance discovers that the endoskeleton Terminators are weak against parkour and other audacious techniques, so Skynet begins development of the much more agile T-1000 in response to the embarrassment of Tech-com doing looney tunes poo poo to T-800s.

That was a pretty good one, but I liked this writing prompt from Reddit
[WP] After successfully killing John Connor, the human resistance still ends up winning the war. It seems that Skynet has been tracking the wrong John this entire time. In this new future, Skynet sends multiple terminators back in time to deal with the real human threat: John Wick.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I think I've noted this before, but the first thing that Phonebook does after getting his disguise is steal a gun - even though it's obviously extremely risky to do so. Why does he need a gun so badly?

They're designed to use guns - painfully slow reflexes and lovely tunnel vision means they suck at close combat unless the target is stationary. Even then, Phonebook failed to kill a sleeping dude.
my new Terminator concept: it's T1 again, but the first thing the T-800 does after getting his disguise is rob an asian grocery for durians instead of hitting a gun shop. the cops dismiss the incident initially and are slow to respond even after people start dying from huge stinky spiky fruit being thrown through their skull at 100mph because it's the 80s and why would the cops have any idea what a durian is. the bizarre but less obviously threatening approach allows the terminator more time to calculate a good firingthrowing solution and make its kills more quietly, so it doesn't get shot up nearly as much, but the awful smell results in "gently caress you rear end in a top hat" being moved up earlier in the movie.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BiggerBoat posted:

Find truck full of liquid nitrogen

Throw biker through truck full of liquid nitrogen

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Fish Noise posted:

my new Terminator concept: it's T1 again, but the first thing the T-800 does after getting his disguise is rob an asian grocery for durians instead of hitting a gun shop. the cops dismiss the incident initially and are slow to respond even after people start dying from huge stinky spiky fruit being thrown through their skull at 100mph because it's the 80s and why would the cops have any idea what a durian is. the bizarre but less obviously threatening approach allows the terminator more time to calculate a good firingthrowing solution and make its kills more quietly, so it doesn't get shot up nearly as much, but the awful smell results in "gently caress you rear end in a top hat" being moved up earlier in the movie.

This entire stupid premise was to get to that last line and I appreciate it. I can 100% see that you worked backwards from "a smelly rear end durian makes the landlord bitch at the Terminator"

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

This entire stupid premise was to get to that last line and I appreciate it. I can 100% see that you worked backwards from "a smelly rear end durian makes the landlord bitch at the Terminator"

Figure Terminators are machines. They're ruthless, but not actually cruel. Stinkbombing somebody to death with a durian is actively cruel.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A Terminator where humanity and skynet have both figured out what's going on and that Skynet kills Kyle Reese pretty regularly but they're all still there, leading to peace as bets are placed on which Terminator kills him in which timelines, which do it fastest, bets on skillful kills, over/under on time to say the famous lines, and so on. Will this uneasy truce last once they realize Terminator 2 also happened?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Bets? How bout a stock market? I'm putting my money in a hedge fund that invests in liquid metal futures across multiple futures.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
A film where Skynet sends a T-1000 back to the decade before Judgement Day to assist in its creation and stockpile supplies. It eventually creates an entire company, begins construction of its own army of robots and becomes self-aware and decides to go rogue from Skynet. Now it has to fend off attacks by Skynet's time-travelling forces because it sees the company as a potential rival post-Judgement Day. Basically Assault on Precinct 13, in an office, with robots.

In the end the future machines are successful in destroying the T-1000 and its company, then promptly vanish. Turns out that Skynet had inadvertently created then targeted itself and performed a retroactive abortion.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Wild T posted:

A film where Skynet sends a T-1000 back to the decade before Judgement Day to assist in its creation and stockpile supplies. It eventually creates an entire company, begins construction of its own army of robots and becomes self-aware and decides to go rogue from Skynet. Now it has to fend off attacks by Skynet's time-travelling forces because it sees the company as a potential rival post-Judgement Day. Basically Assault on Precinct 13, in an office, with robots.

In the end the future machines are successful in destroying the T-1000 and its company, then promptly vanish. Turns out that Skynet had inadvertently created then targeted itself and performed a retroactive abortion.

This was just Sarah Connor Chronicles with an extra pinch of bad X-Files conspiracy episodes! You won't get away with this!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Wild T posted:

This is the 2nd season of TSCC and the rogue T-1000 creates of a company that did exactly what you’re saying was the lead singer from Garbage. Actually, she was a T-1001.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
What is the Skynet naming convention anyway? Why did the T-X get a letter and not a number and do they iterate in single digits or not?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

jojoinnit posted:

What is the Skynet naming convention anyway? Why did the T-X get a letter and not a number and do they iterate in single digits or not?

Lady robots get letters. (so they could justify calling her the Terminatrix).

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

jojoinnit posted:

I vaguely recall the 800-series vs. 101 model designation stuff was caused by a rights issue or something.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
The TV series had some weird issue where it was like they only got partial rights, hence T-888 and T-1001 and that they could never call them Terminators.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I vaguely recall the 800-series vs. 101 model designation stuff was caused by a rights issue or something.

It's mixed up even in the first 2 movies. The characters only call the Arnold terminators 101, but the T2 terminator-eye view at one point shows the Arnold terminator as "800 series model 101." The first movie calls the crappy rubber skin terminators 600 series but never mentions 800s.

I think Cameron said in the T2 commentary track that all the terminators that look like Arnold are model 101, that it's the name of the meat part basically.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
"Some of us don't want that"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpqSC0f17M0

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

sean10mm posted:

It's mixed up even in the first 2 movies. The characters only call the Arnold terminators 101, but the T2 terminator-eye view at one point shows the Arnold terminator as "800 series model 101." The first movie calls the crappy rubber skin terminators 600 series but never mentions 800s.

I think Cameron said in the T2 commentary track that all the terminators that look like Arnold are model 101, that it's the name of the meat part basically.

101 being the skin appearance doesn't make any sense because Reese calls him that, but also didn't know what he looked like until he was actually trying to kill Sarah. If he knew what a "101 face" was he'd not have had to play the waiting game.

It makes more sense to say that 101 is the designation for a robot that's supposed to look like a human, and there are several x00 series of it that get progressively better, the 800s being the newest. "Corolla" has been a car for fifty years but they're not all the same.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Let's just think about how stupid this scene is and what it's communicating:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZnkAElIe_c

1> "I've been waiting for you!" But my partner, who's apparently crucial to this plan, has to sprint, and couldn't possibly have been set up five minutes ago.
1a> "I've been waiting for you!" But I just brought this lame shotgun with three shells.
2> Two terminators fighting get... heavier? And crack concrete?
3> Apparently a T-800 is easily disabled by shooting a particular weak point (wait, weren't there magic bullets or some poo poo?)
4> I'LL TRY THROWING! THAT'S A NEAT TRICK!

I get that you can nitpick any non-ideal outcome or circumstances, but this is a really good example of stupid and spectacle over storytelling.

It's a perfect microcosm of why modern action movies tend to be poo poo. They think of some imagery that would be cool that they want to put on screen and try to backfill plot to make that a thing. It's why the action-y bits feel completely un-integrated into the thin and illogical "plot" that's been built around them.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Also the CGI Arnold didn't hang dong like the original.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The gun is an anti materiel rifle. That part isn't complicated or gimmicky.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, being late for intercepting an incoming time-traveller, where you know the exact time and location for it, shows some pretty serious carelessness. Dark Fate has the same issue with Sarah Connor not showing up until the Rev.9 had already been active for a while, just to construct a moment where she suddenly appears to save the day.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I rewatched Genesys.

Jai Courtney gets a whole lot of poo poo for his Kyle Reese role and it is well deserved but I really don't think Amelia Clarke gets nearly enough flak for her terrible Sarah Conner.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

They're both terrible actors but that's partially the fault of casting since who's gonna buy her as a tough badass. It was already pretty comical on Game of Thrones.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Groovelord Neato posted:

They're both terrible actors but that's partially the fault of casting since who's gonna buy her as a tough badass. It was already pretty comical on Game of Thrones.

I thought it helped Clarke a lot that half the point was she wasn't that tough badass because of Pops.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

I thought it helped Clarke a lot that half the point was she wasn't that tough badass because of Pops.

Badass or not, she just feels like a non-entity in a movie where she's theoretically supposed to be the lead. A black hole from which no personality can escape.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Similarly, Kyle Reese can afford to be a somewhat oblivious meathead, instead of being twitchilly paranoid, because Genisys is just putting on a show as Skynet in the future he comes from to fulfill the demands of the time-travel loop.

But, as has been pointed out, even if it makes sense, that doesn't make their performances entertaining to watch.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Sir Kodiak posted:

Similarly, Kyle Reese can afford to be a somewhat oblivious meathead, instead of being twitchilly paranoid, because Genisys is just putting on a show as Skynet in the future he comes from to fulfill the demands of the time-travel loop.

But, as has been pointed out, even if it makes sense, that doesn't make their performances entertaining to watch.

Yea I mean imagine if they'd cast someone who can play a meathead in an entertaining way though. Swap Courtney out for Channing Tatum and I think you have a totally different movie.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

And on top of all that the CGI Arnold does not hang dong!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I mean imagine if they'd cast someone who can play a meathead in an entertaining way though. Swap Courtney out for Channing Tatum and I think you have a totally different movie.

Courtney is awful in T:G but I found him to be delightful in Suicide Squad. Possibly the only good part of that film.