Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Yeah I just looked it up it's Dial Code Santa Claus

Easily in my top 5 Christmas Horror films.

Gremlins
Christmas Evil
Dial Code Santa Claus
Black Christmas
Rare Exports

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hollismason posted:

No its the one with the kid in it and it came out before home alone

Playing Dangerous?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Burkion posted:

Playing Dangerous?

It's Dial Code Santa Claus

It's pretty amazing 😍

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

If your number 1 Christmas Movie isn't Gremlins or Christmas Evil you need to be banned from the thread til after the holidays imho

- Hollismmason " # 1 True Gay of Horror Thread"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Christmas Evil is so good because it takes the holiday and puts a very dark twist on it, but in a much more thoughtful way than just putting a slasher villain in a Santa suit. The early reveal that Harry is stalking the neighborhood kids and keeping his own naughty/nice list is one of my favorite horror moments of all time. So creepy.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Fun fact that's Fiona Apples dad

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Christmas Evil is so good because it takes the holiday and puts a very dark twist on it, but in a much more thoughtful way than just putting a slasher villain in a Santa suit. The early reveal that Harry is stalking the neighborhood kids and keeping his own naughty/nice list is one of my favorite horror moments of all time. So creepy.

I like the mundanity of it all. He's not sinister in the same way as Billy from Black Christmas. He's an unhinged person who thinks he's genuinely doing the right thing like his lord and savior Santa Claus, and so goes about these creepy things like it's a regular routine. That's pretty terrifying.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Fun fact that's Fiona Apples dad

I think that actually came up during a stream one time? Did Lurdiak ever stream Christmas Evil?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I know I have

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hollismason posted:

If your number 1 Christmas Movie isn't Gremlins or Christmas Evil you need to be banned from the thread til after the holidays imho

- Hollismmason " # 1 True Gay of Horror Thread"

It's Krampus, bitch.

Basebf555 posted:

I think that actually came up during a stream one time? Did Lurdiak ever stream Christmas Evil?

I have, yes, 2 years ago.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The conclusion that Gumb isn't trans comes from Hannibal Lecter, who both cheerfully lies about Gumb in order to manipulate Clarice (as revenge for lying to him, and knowing how vindictive Hannibal is over slights, likely also because Gumb ruined one of his projects in the past -- Raspail was Lecter's patient) and may also simply be mistaken, as he's arrogant as hell and talking about someone he only met in passing.

Hannibal is, obviously, a psychotic murderer and whatnot, but one of the more basic premises of the whole Hannibal Cinematic Multiverse is that he’s also an exceedingly talented quasi-Lacanian psychologist who takes pride in his work. Hannibal doesn’t lie for revenge. He considers himself better than that.

But, moreover, my reading of the film is not based on that expository dialogue, but on Bill’s own actions. He simply never self-identifies as a woman, and goes by male names.

Plus, in a broader context, the entire Lambs movie is like entirely about misogyny. Why this FBI agent, set up to fight this killer?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Gumb is one of those extremely online people, it’s just he didn’t have the internet yet so instead of using all of his free time reading and trolling r/butterflies, he used it to hunt and skin women.

Anyone ever wonder what he’d look like in the skin suit? I imagine he’d look a bit like Henrietta from Evil Dead 2.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Lecter is also playing a ame with Clarice an literally his little in joke is sending Clarice to her death like a possible lamb to slaughter.

It's sated again multiple times that Bill only thinks he's these things compulsively.

Lecter is toyin with Clarice an also knows who Bill is all along btw.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Lecter isn't sending Clarice to her death. He comes to genuinely respect her, and he's setting her up to have an opportunity to gain status and respect at the FBI. Of course, with his hosed up way of thinking he's not all that concerned about her safety and probably enjoys watching things play out to see what the outcome is. But I think if you asked him who he was betting on to walk out of that basement it probably would be Clarice.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I dunno I always thought it was his way of manipulating a transformation out of Clarice. Like it was a win win scenario for him.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

I dunno I always thought it was his way of manipulating a transformation out of Clarice. Like it was a win win scenario for him.

Right but I think he sees her as someone capable of that transformation and someone he can potentially even see as an equal. Not that he'd lose any sleep if Gumb killed her, but he's leading her down that path because he has high hopes for what she can become. Which is the same idea that Fuller ran with in the Hannibal series, where he develops an attachment to Will Graham and then tries to guide him towards a place where the two of them can have what Hannibal would consider a truly intimate relationship.

So it's definitely a manipulation, but he honestly believes that if Clarice confronts Gumb and comes out the other side, she'll have put her past(Hannibal has a traumatic past as well) behind her and become someone he can truly respect. And when she does just that, Harris writes him as having more or less fallen in love with her in the sequel.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Unless there’s some very crucial detail I’m forgetting, ‘Buffalo Bill’ is a straight, white dude with a transformation fetish.

Bill doesn’t actually want to become a woman. That’s a misreading by the other characters. What Bill actually wants is to control women - by, effectively, transforming them into puppets. He fantasizes that women are nothing more than ‘skins’, but they nonetheless have an obvious immense power over him. ‘Wearing the skins’ is, in his mind, a way to wield that power and thereby create a perfect woman for himself.

The straights don't even understand what being trans is and you expect them to know what a transformation fetish is?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
^^^
We can use Lambs as a solid illustration of it.

Basebf555 posted:

Lecter isn't sending Clarice to her death. He comes to genuinely respect her, and he's setting her up to have an opportunity to gain status and respect at the FBI. Of course, with his hosed up way of thinking he's not all that concerned about her safety and probably enjoys watching things play out to see what the outcome is. But I think if you asked him who he was betting on to walk out of that basement it probably would be Clarice.

Right, but it’s not even about helping Clarice with her career. He’s really just attempting to cure her, in the psychoanalytic sense. Lecter is extremely similar to David in Prometheus.

Anyways, I’ve been further plumbing the depths of obscure found footage, and the following movies are very dope:

- She Walks The Woods
- Shopping Tour
- ”1st Summoning”
- E-DEMON SCREEN RECORDING

3:15 AM: A French Found Footage Anthology is also kinda lol. It’s nowhere near V/H/S 1, but captures roughly the same vibe. There’s at least one scene that the horror thread will really enjoy.

The most interesting of these is certainly E-Demon, though. It’s a way better Unfriended 2 than the one we got.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 27, 2019

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/choptopmoseley/status/1199544685401788416?s=21

My Bloody Valentine is too on the nose. Maybe Grind Them Up?

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
someone recommended a grain elevator found footage and I honestly couldn't sit through it because it wasn't very good. can anyone who has seen it sell me on why it's good or worth watching

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Woe to he who has never explored abandoned industrial areas with their hooligan friends and recorded their petty crimes.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

ruddiger posted:

Woe to he who has never explored abandoned industrial areas with their hooligan friends and recorded their petty crimes.

I actually have!
old urbex photos https://imgur.com/gallery/w8iA5

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Gay Horney posted:

I actually have!
old urbex photos https://imgur.com/gallery/w8iA5

oh hell yes to that last one.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Gay Horney posted:

someone recommended a grain elevator found footage and I honestly couldn't sit through it because it wasn't very good. can anyone who has seen it sell me on why it's good or worth watching

15/05/11 - Abandoned Grain Elevator is a film about an abandoned grain elevator.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I feel like Dan Bell and that whole team are inching toward their own Abandoned Grain Elevator.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

15/05/11 - Abandoned Grain Elevator is a film about an abandoned grain elevator.

yes that's the one. sure but why would one watch it or recommend others watch it? I think it was you that recommended it actually. i watched the first several minutes and fast forwarded til the end. was there lurking horror somewhere I was missing?

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
when you see it, you'll poo poo bricks

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

ruddiger posted:

I don't know, but We Have Such Swipes to Show You would be the slogan

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

ruddiger posted:

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

^^^
We can use Lambs as a solid illustration of it.

Right, but it’s not even about helping Clarice with her career. He’s really just attempting to cure her, in the psychoanalytic sense. Lecter is extremely similar to David in Prometheus.

Anyways, I’ve been further plumbing the depths of obscure found footage, and the following movies are very dope:

- She Walks The Woods
- Shopping Tour
- ”1st Summoning”
- E-DEMON SCREEN RECORDING

3:15 AM: A French Found Footage Anthology is also kinda lol. It’s nowhere near V/H/S 1, but captures roughly the same vibe. There’s at least one scene that the horror thread will really enjoy.

The most interesting of these is certainly E-Demon, though. It’s a way better Unfriended 2 than the one we got.

Post links you butthole I’m lazy and I never managed to figure out how to watch D@bbe or whatever it was called

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I’ve seen abandoned grain elevator like 5 times, I love all that abandoned space poo poo but it looks so much nicer than most of it

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Gay Horney posted:

yes that's the one. sure but why would one watch it or recommend others watch it? I think it was you that recommended it actually. i watched the first several minutes and fast forwarded til the end. was there lurking horror somewhere I was missing?

Dogg you queued up a movie called Abandoned Grain Elevator, which is about an abandoned grain elevator, and then skipped all the scenes with the abandoned grain elevator!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Me and my roommate were just chilling and I queued up Abandoned Grain Elevator on the tv without warning him or even telling him what it was. Within 15 minutes he stopped looking at his phone and started watching it and didn’t ask what it’s title was at least an hour into it.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

DeimosRising posted:

Post links you butthole I’m lazy and I never managed to figure out how to watch D@bbe or whatever it was called

Dabbe is on Netflix and if you're into found footage you should 100% watch it

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Dogg you queued up a movie called Abandoned Grain Elevator, which is about an abandoned grain elevator, and then skipped all the scenes with the abandoned grain elevator!

another way of looking at it is I was recommended a horror movie and found it to be bereft of horror. if there's plot or spooky poo poo I'll go back and re-watch it.

really just wanted to hear about what other people enjoyed about the work. i skipped like ten minutes total.

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 27, 2019

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ruddiger posted:

I Date The Living

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Irony.or.Death posted:

Dabbe is on Netflix and if you're into found footage you should 100% watch it

I’m going to be straight up it never occurred to me to check Netflix, I was scouring YouTube and Vimeo and poo poo

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCjwmXg5poY

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Abandoned Grain Elevator owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

DeimosRising posted:

Ah, sorry I missed this!

Shopping Tour is on Tubi here. The quality’s not great, but it’s watchable. It’s notable for its super-dry humour, and an incredible monster concept I won’t spoil.

E-DEMON and She Walks The Woods are on Amazon.

1st Summoning and D@BBE 4 are up on Netflix. D@BBE 3 is also officially up on Youtube, If you are up for a very solid-but-overlong ripoff of Paranormal Activities 1-3.

(Netflix also has D@BBE 5 & 6, but they apparently aren’t found footage and I can’t yet vouch for their quality.)