Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Finished up 8-11 last night and GODDAMN the Higgs fight was fun in every incarnation of it. I too just dodged his gunfire and grenades and ran up to punch him and grab him with my strand. The fight isn't very difficult at all on Hard. I didn't even think to utilize any of the destroyed cargo laying around, because I had no trouble doing it that way. Especially with all the cryptobiote mounds laying around. The punchout to finish off Higgs was :discourse:.

Excited to get through the hours long movie I know 12 onward will end up being. Going to finish it up tonight.

With a simple yes or no, can someone tell me if my theory is right? Mads isn't after your BB, he's Sam's father and Sam is the BB from the flashbacks.

The more story I see from this game, especially at the end, the more I think Kojima smoked a fuckload of weed and watched a lot of Eva and Utena while writing this game. And I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

homeless snail posted:

She's a model that Kojima follows on twitter

:whitewater:

lol

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
Do you still get the unique rewards after 5 starring a base. For example, can I still get chiral boots if I deliver enough to the chiral artists studio?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

sloppy portmanteau posted:

Do you still get the unique rewards after 5 starring a base. For example, can I still get chiral boots if I deliver enough to the chiral artists studio?

Pretty sure. I did premium deliveries to people after maxing them out and got extra token of gratitude items for it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Yeah the limited nature on the boots actually makes me want to never use them lol. Fun to hang on the hook though.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
https://twitter.com/intelSEBASTIAN/status/1199811758229032960

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I never had a lack of chiral boots except when the story took them away due to warping

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Yeah someone said they lasted them 20 game hours and I finished in 53...….but the idea that they would disappear forever bothers me to no end even though I KNOW I will probably not play long enough to break them.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I’ve already eaten through five pairs of Chiral boots what kind of namby-pamby walks are you folks going on?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Every time you do a Standard Order to that person you get a new pair. It's just like custom hematic grenades and high-capacity blood bags

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

dodgeblan posted:

also what the gently caress was the deal with

chapter 4 spoilers (Chiral Artist and the Junk Dealer)

The reunion between the Chiral Artist and the Junk Dealer was great- it was actually really touching! Love in the wasteland! You haven't even interacted with a non-holographic person in days and then you see true love

buuuut then for some reason the actress playing the Chiral Artist is just an extremely limited english speaker. The character isn't even written as a poor english speaker, it's just for some reason a very Japanese lady saying things that sound completely unnatural for her level of fluency.

Very Kojima thing to do get 95% of the way to creating a touching moment that we rarely see in games then loving it up with a totally bizarre unforced error

It's a super bizarre choice to not have someone else dub her lines for the English version. They try to cover it by having an email mention that she could barely speak English, but with the way the lines are written it either make you think the character is fluent in English but has a speech impairment, or removes your immersion in the game and makes you realize this is a Japanese model being forced to read an English script she doesn't understand.

In the Japanese dub did they make Conan O'Brien voice himself with really bad Japanese?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Steve Yun posted:

I’ve already eaten through five pairs of Chiral boots what kind of namby-pamby walks are you folks going on?

Yeah, they last a long time but I still went though a few pairs up in the mountains or just wandering around the fringes of the map

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Ruffian Price posted:

Every time you do a Standard Order to that person you get a new pair. It's just like custom hematic grenades and high-capacity blood bags

oh ok I thought you just get like one pair and then that's it lol

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Gruckles posted:

In the Japanese dub did they make Conan O'Brien voice himself with really bad Japanese?

No, Conan was dubbed over by the voice of Jojo.

My guess is Kojima just doesn't have an ear for what works in English and what doesn't, so... every time he's had great scenes with great acting that landed I have to assume he relied on the actors to make it work and maybe didn't even know how much heavy lifting the American actors did. So when he got it in his mind to use this actress and make her speak English, he didn't have people around him to tell him wow this is terrible to anglophones.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
if I have to pretend the Elder isn't Quark from DS9 you guys can pretend a person who doesn't speak English that great can exist in DS America.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Holy crap the elder is Quark

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Intel&Sebastian posted:

if I have to pretend the Elder isn't Quark from DS9 you guys can pretend a person who doesn't speak English that great can exist in DS America.

Everyone knows someone who don't speak English well in the US, but I don't know anyone who uses lofty words with such a bad command of English.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Steve Yun posted:

Everyone knows someone who don't speak English well in the US, but I don't know anyone who uses lofty words with such a bad command of English.

*stares in current president of the USA*

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
but you're right that is weird

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

You have to wonder if it was someone on the team taking the piss because her spoken dialogue seemed like it had the highest grade level in the game

Steve Yun posted:

My guess is Kojima just doesn't have an ear for what works in English and what doesn't, so... every time he's had great scenes with great acting that landed I have to assume he relied on the actors to make it work and maybe didn't even know how much heavy lifting the American actors did.
One thing that usually pisses me off about badly directed voice acting is when the wrong words are being accented in a sentence (the difference between "it was HIS car" and "it WAS his car" - if the direction is lacking and you have a contextless jumble of lines to power through, you have to guess). It's rare to see that in fully performance-captured scenes, but there were definitely some instances in DS. Might be what you said.

Ruffian Price fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 28, 2019

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

very tired of the veteran porter jerking me around

oh he finally stopped. so i saw people itt talking about not handing over deliveries to preppers whose growth is locked behind emails but you don't need to do that, the star level is based off of the total number of likes you've received from them and the first time you deliver something to them after the lock is removed it will immediately jump up to where it should be, unless there's another lock in the way (there's always one right before 5 stars because they want to give you the star by itself). i had this guy at like 1600 likes and it jumped from 2 stars to 4.9 just from a single S size delivery.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 28, 2019

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I still need to do the pizza mission but this game emotionally drained me

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Can someone run down what the pizza thing is about? I did the first mission and then didn't do any until the end and then I did the one that was left I got the email that says he's mad at me for not doing the previous one he asked, but he wants one last one, and that he's unlocking his private quarters, and it's signed off Higgs Monahagan and whatever but what all happens if you do all the missions when you're supposed to?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
For pizza orders, if Kojima really wanted authenticity, there should have been an option to eat part of the customer’s food to regain health

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Just keep doing the pizza orders, they’ll make sense by the end of the game

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I already finished the game and got into the bunker. Do the orders keep coming after that?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ruffian Price posted:

You have to wonder if it was someone on the team taking the piss because her spoken dialogue seemed like it had the highest grade level in the game

One thing that usually pisses me off about badly directed voice acting is when the wrong words are being accented in a sentence (the difference between "it was HIS car" and "it WAS his car" - if the direction is lacking and you have a contextless jumble of lines to power through, you have to guess). It's rare to see that in fully performance-captured scenes, but there were definitely some instances in DS. Might be what you said.

That's always so bizarre to me. I get that it's hard to get all the VAs in the same room, obviously, especially when you assemble the motley crew of superstars that kojima did for this game, but couldn't you at least have an intern opposite them to let them know what kind of conversation they're responding to? Or at least give them the script to read so that they can get the context of their lines? Or are their schedules so tight that professional voice acting is literally https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs3bXmPVy-U

asscreed odyssey was awful in this specific regard, there were tons of lines where voice actors clearly had no idea who they were talking to, is that logistically challenging to just...tell them?

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Can someone run down what the pizza thing is about? I did the first mission and then didn't do any until the end and then I did the one that was left I got the email that says he's mad at me for not doing the previous one he asked, but he wants one last one, and that he's unlocking his private quarters, and it's signed off Higgs Monahagan and whatever but what all happens if you do all the missions when you're supposed to?

Even if you did the other pizza missions that email reads the same, because he's taking about how you didn't do his nuke delivery.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
jokes on him I did do it because I didn't listen and thought Fragile was in the city

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Intel&Sebastian posted:

jokes on him I did do it because I didn't listen and thought Fragile was in the city

Same, and I didn’t do the pizza until he was death stranded

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
Just finished the game for the 1st time

Thank you all for your online structures, vehicles and shared weapons for that end run!

Edit: I will pay it forwards in the next couple of days il be putting post boxes with weapons and blood packs in them.

Kharn_The_Betrayer fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 28, 2019

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Ainsley McTree posted:

That's always so bizarre to me. I get that it's hard to get all the VAs in the same room, obviously, especially when you assemble the motley crew of superstars that kojima did for this game, but couldn't you at least have an intern opposite them to let them know what kind of conversation they're responding to? Or at least give them the script to read so that they can get the context of their lines? Or are their schedules so tight that professional voice acting is literally https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs3bXmPVy-U

asscreed odyssey was awful in this specific regard, there were tons of lines where voice actors clearly had no idea who they were talking to, is that logistically challenging to just...tell them?
VAs have often been given no context on their lines, and sometimes don't even know what game it's for because if they did, they could demand more money if they knew it was AAA Franchise #34 instead of Indie Game #153.

Edit: found a link

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah as well as the absurd secrecy that's common in the industry, seems like most game devs have absolutely no idea how to direct voice talent. Like even comparing the voice work to cheap animation or bad radio drama, the standards aren't high.

I've generally liked the voice work in this game. Generally.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I need help on chapter 12. Is it supposed to be a slog? Am I supposed to lose dozens of times? I keep dying to the whale because it takes so many shots to kill and it's raining the whole time and damaging my cargo. So I can't even be patient. Any advice helps.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

The Human Crouton posted:

I need help on chapter 12. Is it supposed to be a slog? Am I supposed to lose dozens of times? I keep dying to the whale because it takes so many shots to kill and it's raining the whole time and damaging my cargo. So I can't even be patient. Any advice helps.

Be patient. I thought I was going to fail because my cargo damage was almost 70% once i killed the whale and the game says "less than 50%" but it doesn't actually matter. So just take your time whittling the boss down.

charles.
Mar 2, 2019

PunkBoy posted:

So slightly inspired by Death Stranding, I watched Drive and Only God Forgives, and I enjoyed them. What other Refn films should I look into?

In case this hasn't been said yet, but the entire Pusher trilogy (featuring Mads too), and Bleeder, both fantastic

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Human Crouton posted:

Yes it's a slog. Be patient. Pretty sure the rain doesn't actually damage your cargo because that fight took a while and nothing of mine broke from rain damage. Pray that people toss you the lock on rocket launcher or even the quad. Or pelt it with a grenade then shoot the red spot.

charles.
Mar 2, 2019

Macaluso posted:

Regarding the Higgs fight: I honestly didn't even realize the strand was a thing I could use. I just assumed it was a just the thing Fragile explained it as: an ID thing since it uses your blood. I never once used it. It wasn't til watching someone else play the game that I found out you could like... hog tie someone with it. I had NO idea.

If I ever had to deal with Mules, I just punched them til they fell over.

I realised I could use it during CHAPTER 9 the Higgs fight when Sam doesn't bring any weapons and recalling the line about 'rope vs stick'. Gave it a go and it's hands down the most powerful weapon in the game lol.
I completely broke the CHAPTER 11 Vietnam Cliff fight. You can walk up behind, rope, stomp, walk into the bushes directly next to him, and he NEVER finds you. On hard too. Rinse and repeat There wasn't a single bullet fired by anyone in my successful Vietnam run.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

marktheando posted:

Yeah as well as the absurd secrecy that's common in the industry, seems like most game devs have absolutely no idea how to direct voice talent. Like even comparing the voice work to cheap animation or bad radio drama, the standards aren't high.

I've generally liked the voice work in this game. Generally.

One of the biggest issues with voice performances from dedicated voice actors (compared to Reedus or Mads) is that oftentimes their voices are perfectly trained, crystal clear, with great enunciation and control, and while that gives them great range in adopting various accents or altering their voice to sound utterly different, it invites a kind of inevitable artifice, they just sound too clean most of the time, it's like opera or classical theater. It makes it difficult to take vulnerable or dramatic moments seriously from them, they hit emotional notes using a preconfigured tool box of vocal techniques. You can sense the method as you listen to them, they don't really convincingly adopt a character.

Death Stranding is a great game to see the contrast because performers like Lea Seydoux, Reedus and Mads all have way more flawed (in technique) speaking voices with far greater minute inflections and range. Mads especially uses his face and soft spoken manner to great effect, I've never really seen a performance like that in another game. They're not afraid to have their voices become a little more unintelligible, or crack, or just sound more human in general.

Disco Elysium is another good example, most of the voice actors are not professional voice actors and as such don't sound so rehearsed and in general they feel like they're imbued with more honest humanity, the lack of professional technique means they don't speak like someone who went to a speech coach.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Is there a convenient way of tracking progress for the LoL achievo? Or am I going to have to take fuckin notes on this criminal conspiracy?