Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If plex includes 4K remuxed media then the 100mbit ain’t gonna cut it, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Rhyno posted:

Is the 65" TCL going to be under $800 anywhere this week?

The (2019) 65R625 is selling now for $799 at both Best Buy and Amazon. I'd expect to see it cheaper this week, but I'm not sure we'll see great deals since it's pretty popular. Costco will have the 2018 6 series for $599 on Black Friday.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
C9 65" new owners report:

I bought the TV on Amazon. It arrived 2 days later having been shipped not just in the normal TV box but in a slightly larger one as well. There was no sign of damage on either bix. I was a little hesitant about playing the panel lottery on amazon but I seem to have won. I set up the TV on my own but I would recommend having someone help you. The base of the TV weighs a crapload while the majority of the screen is wafer thin and flexible which makes it a bit of a challenge to move around without damaging the TV. After I had the TV all set up I binged some 4kuhd amazon, 1080p HBO go via a ps4, and some 4k games from both the ps4 and an HTPC. Here are the highlights/lowlights.

-This thing looks good. Like really drat good. The default settings are crazy bright to the point where certain scenes can hurt to look at so I'd strongly recommend using settings from rtings or somewhere similar.

-This panel has the best response time and least amount of blur of anything I've ever played video games on short of a dedicated 144hz gaming monitor.

-The reflective coating on the screen combined with the true blackness of the screen means it will reflect even small lights, I ended up having to put a blackout curtain over my living room window that I close if I want to watch tv during the afternoon.

-There is no HBO go app available as far as I can tell. You'll have to use some sort of external device if you want to use that service.

-The audio from the built in youtube app is about 200ms behind the picture which is enough to notice that it doesn't line up with peoples mouths when they're talking. Since the audio sync feature only lets you adjust audio to make it later there is no fix for this other than to use a 3rd party device to watch youtube.

-The TV stand is super short, if you're planning on putting a soundbar in front of it you're either going to need to wallmount the TV or put something under the stand to raise it a bit. I used some standard width ikea particle board that matches my TV cabinet and that work3d just fine.

-There are only 4 HDMI ports one of which is the ARC port. If you have more than 3 devices you'll need to get creative.

Overall I'm really pleased with the TV which is good considering it's the most expensive thing I've ever purchased that wasn't a motor vehicle.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

In the continuing saga of my Vizio PQ65 periodically blacking out for a few seconds (audio cuts out too) I happened to have my Fire TV remote in hand while it happened while streaming YouTube and it didn’t show anything when I pressed buttons during the blank, but when it came back the playback menu was on screen. In other words, it’s almost like the HDMI connection lost signal.

Whenever this happens, the video keeps playing whether it’s Youtube, HBO Go, or the NBC app so that I have to rewind a few seconds to see what I missed.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Nocheez posted:

I'm in the market for an OLED TV and would love to hear some goon opinions first.

1: The guy at Best Buy said LG units run cooler so they are having fewer returns on them over a Sony. Confirm?
2: I have a good sound system and plan to only use this as a display, so does the model (B,C, etc) really matter to me?
3: I see 2018 and 2019 models featured. Is there a major difference between the two?
4: I would prefer a 65" over the 55", is there anything I should know before pulling the trigger? Is the price going to remain firm, or should I wait for black friday?

Sorry for ghosting on this thread, I couldn't remember what subforum it was in until today.

You guys gave me some great advice, and I'm going to wait until the right deal comes along. Thank you!!!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Epiphyte posted:

So, I'm getting ready to fish cables for my new Samsung Q60 and I can't find any info as to what speed LAN it can support

The manual reccomends CAT 7 (WTF) but doesn't say its gigibit and everything I find online seems to indicate that Samsung only puts in 100mbit support to their TVs and the wifi is faster.

Gonna be streaming Plex so it'd make a difference but if there is no sense pulling Ethernet, Id just as soon skip that
Regardless of whether it's 100mbit or gigabit, pull Cat6 or Cat6A whenever running new copper ethernet lines.

For the speeds that normal people have in their homes, plain old Cat5 is technically more than enough. It can officially handle gigabit speeds at the full 100 meter range. Cat6/6A get you official support for 10 gigabit over 55 and 100 meters, respectively, and is not much more expensive which is why I recommend just using it. Cat7 is not required by or even used in any ethernet specifications, so that recommendation is just nonsensical.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I've been cruising along with a 2010 50" Panasonic Viera Plasma TV (I think their flagship model from that year) and this thing is a workhorse and still great, but it's been almost a decade and I'm in the market to buy something new and from what I'm reading (and I need my hand held on big purchases like this), the 65" LG OLED C9 that I can get off Amazon for ~$2k is the "overall" best of the not-stupidly-expensive TVs now? I do my movie watching and gaming through my PS4 and am going to get the PS5 to do more of the same, and I have a separate soundbar/sub for audio so I don't care about the Smart features/TV Audio.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Nocheez posted:

Sorry for ghosting on this thread, I couldn't remember what subforum it was in until today.

You guys gave me some great advice, and I'm going to wait until the right deal comes along. Thank you!!!

...have you been posting here for 19 years without knowing about the user control panel

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm in the market to buy something new and from what I'm reading (and I need my hand held on big purchases like this), the 65" LG OLED C9 that I can get off Amazon for ~$2k is the "overall" best of the not-stupidly-expensive TVs now?
You could get the Samsung Qled P Quantum X for about the same, but the Oled C9 has support for Variable refresh rates which will likely be big in the next gaming gen.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Butterfly Valley posted:

...have you been posting here for 19 years without knowing about the user control panel

I didn't bookmark it :shrug:

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

wolrah posted:

For the speeds that normal people have in their homes, plain old Cat5 is technically more than enough. It can officially handle gigabit speeds at the full 100 meter range.

Technically you should have CAT5e to do gigabit, but I don't think non-e CAT5 is really sold much anymore.

Fhqwhgads posted:

I've been cruising along with a 2010 50" Panasonic Viera Plasma TV (I think their flagship model from that year) and this thing is a workhorse and still great, but it's been almost a decade and I'm in the market to buy something new and from what I'm reading (and I need my hand held on big purchases like this), the 65" LG OLED C9 that I can get off Amazon for ~$2k is the "overall" best of the not-stupidly-expensive TVs now? I do my movie watching and gaming through my PS4 and am going to get the PS5 to do more of the same, and I have a separate soundbar/sub for audio so I don't care about the Smart features/TV Audio.

Yes, the 65" C9 is basically the best TV you can get for a 65". If you watch slickdeals and don't mind buying from another seller (Buydig, etc.) you can probably get it for $1700 or less in the next few days.

FilthyImp posted:

You could get the Samsung Qled P Quantum X for about the same, but the Oled C9 has support for Variable refresh rates which will likely be big in the next gaming gen.

Unless you spend your days watching hours and hours of CNN or Sportscenter just get OLED. And if you just spend hours watching CNN or Sportscenter save yourself some money and buy a TCL 4 series.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Butterfly Valley posted:

I legit didn't figure out the CP and bookmarking until earlier this year.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

BeastOfExmoor posted:

The (2019) 65R625 is selling now for $799 at both Best Buy and Amazon. I'd expect to see it cheaper this week, but I'm not sure we'll see great deals since it's pretty popular. Costco will have the 2018 6 series for $599 on Black Friday.

Both Amazon and Best Buy have it for $699 now.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Technically you should have CAT5e to do gigabit, but I don't think non-e CAT5 is really sold much anymore.
The 1000BaseT standard only requires Cat5.

5e didn't bring anything new to Ethernet, it was just a slight upgrade to the cable standard at the time. The recent 2.5/5G modes that have been developed have been designed around it though.

You are right though, I haven't seen plain Cat5 in ages.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Can anyone recommend a tv mount stand? I’m looking at getting something new and it looks like if I go for a 55” model it won’t fit on my current media center if the feet are on the far ends. I’d also like to be able to adjust the height so I could stick a center channel speaker under it.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Amazon has "Lo Barato" TCL 55S425 for $279. I know this isn't an impressive display but it will be a nice, affordable upgrade from my 34" monitor, though my PC will new a video card to play games decently at 4K. According to TCL's site it has 120Hz even at 4K resolution -- is there any special reason I should avoid this one?

e: There is an even cheaper Insignia at Best Buy, but I'm skeptical about that one.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Nov 28, 2019

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Nocheez posted:

I didn't bookmark it :shrug:

So bookmarking threads you post in automatically is an option I’ve turned on at some point? Huh. Very useful though.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

BeastOfExmoor posted:

For anyone curious, here’s what rtings has to say about the difference between the models years:

quote:

The R625 has a more premium design and a much better local dimming feature, but the R617 is brighter and has better reflection handling. The R625 has a higher backlight flicker frequency, but a slower response time, and motion doesn't look as good

(625 is the newer one. I’m still planning on saving $100 and getting last years model, because my room is somewhat bright and we watch a fair bit of hockey.)

Edit: I’m seeing the 2018 model at Best Buy for $630, if you don’t have a cost co membership.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Nov 28, 2019

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Has anyone been keeping an eye on 82 and 86 inch Black Friday deals? Does anything stand out?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

FilthyImp posted:

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Yes, the 65" C9 is basically the best TV you can get for a 65". If you watch slickdeals and don't mind buying from another seller (Buydig, etc.) you can probably get it for $1700 or less in the next few days.

Thanks, going with the C9! Knowing nothing about how to calibrate a TV I'll just follow along with what's on rtings?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
65"!!! R625 TCL 6 Series is $589 with free shipping after code at Rakuten.

https://www.rakuten.com/shop/electronic-express/product/65R625/

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

So, I just got a new tv recently, thanks to the help in this thread. Now, it seems ive been greenlit to replace the 5 y/o 55 in LG in the bedroom. But i am under a p strict budget.

So, which of these 3 is the best option, at 329?

TCL - 55" Class - LED - 5 Series - 2160p - Smart - 4K UHD TV with HDR - Roku TV
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55-class-led-5-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr-roku-tv/6358918.p?skuId=6358918

LG - 55" Class - LED - UM6910PUC Series - 2160p - Smart - 4K UHD TV with HDR
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-55-class-led-um6910puc-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6363872.p?skuId=6363872

Samsung - 55" Class - LED - NU6900 Series - 2160p - Smart - 4K UHD TV with HDR
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-55-class-led-nu6900-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6268404.p?skuId=6268404

Appreciate the help y'all

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

The Bananana posted:

So, I just got a new tv recently, thanks to the help in this thread. Now, it seems ive been greenlit to replace the 5 y/o 55 in LG in the bedroom. But i am under a p strict budget.

So, which of these 3 is the best option, at 329?

TCL - 55" Class - LED - 5 Series - 2160p - Smart - 4K UHD TV with HDR - Roku TV
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55-class-led-5-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr-roku-tv/6358918.p?skuId=6358918

LG - 55" Class - LED - UM6910PUC Series - 2160p - Smart - 4K UHD TV with HDR
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-55-class-led-um6910puc-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6363872.p?skuId=6363872

Samsung - 55" Class - LED - NU6900 Series - 2160p - Smart - 4K UHD TV with HDR
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-55-class-led-nu6900-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6268404.p?skuId=6268404

Appreciate the help y'all

At that range get the TCL

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Anyone know of the difference between the 32 inch TCLs on Amazon? My instinct is to get the 32s327 because it will display 1080, but is last years model. The 33s325 is only a 720 set, but is this years model. Right now there is all of a $10 difference on Amazon, so are the processor going to be better on the 2019 model?

I know on a 32 inch tv, you can’t usually detect the visual difference between 1080 and 720, but my inner nerd is going bigger numbers is better. The tv is mostly going to be used for streaming content using the Roku built in.

Also, this tv is going in an armoire in my bedroom, so space is constrained from getting a larger (and better) tv. Max height is 21.5 inches. The 40 inch TCLs come in at like 22.1 inches with the stand.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

BonoMan posted:

65"!!! R625 TCL 6 Series is $589 with free shipping after code at Rakuten.

https://www.rakuten.com/shop/electronic-express/product/65R625/
Well I guess I should have waited since I paid $679 for that last week, but oh well

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Orvin posted:

Anyone know of the difference between the 32 inch TCLs on Amazon? My instinct is to get the 32s327 because it will display 1080, but is last years model. The 33s325 is only a 720 set, but is this years model. Right now there is all of a $10 difference on Amazon, so are the processor going to be better on the 2019 model?

I know on a 32 inch tv, you can’t usually detect the visual difference between 1080 and 720, but my inner nerd is going bigger numbers is better. The tv is mostly going to be used for streaming content using the Roku built in.

Also, this tv is going in an armoire in my bedroom, so space is constrained from getting a larger (and better) tv. Max height is 21.5 inches. The 40 inch TCLs come in at like 22.1 inches with the stand.

I'd get the 1080 for my inner nerd as well. Nothing about the processor, etc, is likely to be significantly different.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Orvin posted:

You might be able to get a more compact vesa stand.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

You might be able to get a more compact vesa stand.

Looking a bit more, TCL only makes a 40 inch version of the 3 series. To go to a 4 or 5 series, the smallest is 43 inches, and those displays without stand are over 22 inches. To me it isn’t worth the money or effort to try to jam a 40 inch tv in the same spot for identical internals.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I just bought one. The reviews are outstanding and I love my 2017 55".

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Has anyone been keeping an eye on 82 and 86 inch Black Friday deals? Does anything stand out?

I’ve been watching the amazon thread in coupons but haven’t seen anything yet.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This 82" was at Sam's Club but the price wasn't too crazy

Was reading something about Samsung's plans to develop QOLED screens. I guess the Super OLED like from some years back was their first stab, but burn in was an issue. Looks like they're aiming for 2025 releases.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Nov 29, 2019

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I just picked up a Sony X950G today as an upgrade for an eight-year-old Bravia. How much “spying” is the built-in Android TV doing compared to, say, the Roku sticks we’ve been doing all of our streaming through for the last few years?

I switched to a Roku because after buying the Bravia its built-in software quickly showed its age. We’ve been quite happy with the quality of the Roku experience (even if they’re data-mining the hell out of us) but if Sony’s Android TV software is more respectful of our privacy then I’d be fine with switching to it as it’d mean one less remote to juggle. And maybe an even smoother streaming experience than what we’re used to?

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Newegg (through Gameliquidations) has the 77" C9 for $3700: https://www.newegg.com/p/16C-000P-003S1?Item=9SIAJKJ9H94995

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

FilthyImp posted:

The C9 supports VRR on PC gaming right now, if you have the equipment for it.

Combined with OLED picture quality and super low / near instant response times, it’s basically the best gaming experience you can currently have. Nothing i’ve seen or heard of even comes close, and I’ve had my share of nice gaming setups.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Tricky Ed posted:

Newegg (through Gameliquidations) has the 77" C9 for $3700: https://www.newegg.com/p/16C-000P-003S1?Item=9SIAJKJ9H94995
Are they an authorized dealer, and if not how does it work if something is broken or defective?

Edit: And are Squaretrade warranties worth anything at all? Three hundred bucks for four years on such a big purchase might be worthwhile.

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Nov 29, 2019

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah, you can usually get the best price on a squaretrade at Amazon.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

According to TCL's site it has 120Hz even at 4K resolution -- is there any special reason I should avoid this one?Almost e
Almost every mid-range or higher TV these days has a 120Hz panel, the truly critical question if you want to use it with a PC (or Xbox One X) is whether it can actually accept a 120Hz input. Most can not, and almost nothing can support a 4K 120Hz input. Almost all TVs supporting 120Hz input at this time only do so at 1080p and maybe 1440p due to HDMI 2.0 bandwidth limitations. DisplayPort 1.3 can do it but I haven't seen anything sold as a TV with a DisplayPort input, so only the absolute latest TVs supporting HDMI 2.1 could even theoretically do 4K 120Hz and not all of them actually support that mode.

edit: https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/fake-refresh-rates-samsung-clear-motion-rate-vs-sony-motionflow-vs-lg-trumotion

TCL does not seem to offer a real 120 Hz input at all. Vizio seems to be the only "budget" brand to offer the feature, and only then on their top models.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 29, 2019

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

wolrah posted:

Almost every mid-range or higher TV these days has a 120Hz panel, the truly critical question if you want to use it with a PC (or Xbox One X) is whether it can actually accept a 120Hz input. Most can not, and almost nothing can support a 4K 120Hz input. Almost all TVs supporting 120Hz input at this time only do so at 1080p and maybe 1440p due to HDMI 2.0 bandwidth limitations. DisplayPort 1.3 can do it but I haven't seen anything sold as a TV with a DisplayPort input, so only the absolute latest TVs supporting HDMI 2.1 could even theoretically do 4K 120Hz and not all of them actually support that mode.

edit: https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/fake-refresh-rates-samsung-clear-motion-rate-vs-sony-motionflow-vs-lg-trumotion

TCL does not seem to offer a real 120 Hz input at all. Vizio seems to be the only "budget" brand to offer the feature, and only then on their top models.

To clarify its not real 120hz on those TCLs. It's "effective" which is just marketing for 60hz with some interpolation nonsense.

Most budget models do not have a 120hz panel.

Although the very nice Hisense H9F does quantum dot and 120 hz at $550 for a 55".

Edit: on my phone so just saw I quoted an edited post!

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

wolrah posted:

Interesting, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

IAmKale posted:

I just picked up a Sony X950G today as an upgrade for an eight-year-old Bravia. How much “spying” is the built-in Android TV doing compared to, say, the Roku sticks we’ve been doing all of our streaming through for the last few years?
You can turn off a lot of it with some menu diving but not all of it and you can’t turn off one row of the ads. I don’t use the android software much at all though. If you don’t log into a google account on the tv it probably gets less info as well. I don’t know if it does the kind of screen content analysis other companies do.