Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
loving hell. I wanna know whose decision it was to have a game full of trainers who are largely pushovers, and then end it off with a champion more OP than Cynthia. It took me three tries to beat him!! I would've lost without using max revives!!! Where was that for the rest of the game?! Chairman Rose went down like a wet fart, and I fought him 10 minutes ago!

e: @ the people who complained about no Hall of Fame - your pokemon still get the Hall of Fame ribbon? You don't put them in a computer scanner to record it or whatever, but it's still a thing.

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Nov 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Blaziken386 posted:

loving hell. I wanna know whose decision it was to have a game full of trainers who are largely pushovers, and then end it off with a champion more OP than Cynthia. It took me three tries to beat him!! I would've lost without using max revives!!! Where was that for the rest of the game?! Chairman Rose went down like a wet fart, and I fought him 10 minutes ago!

The only thing that made it make sense for me was the huge break you have between battles. Every other game the Champion is basically the boss of the Elite 4 with a couple of levels on them.

In this one you basically have a town's worth of content between the two and you have to move around back and forth and it's like a 10 level difference too?

Plus I think the Wild Area becomes level 60 before fighting the champion, not after, so you could go catch a team to fill in gaps

But yeah kinda weird that he was so difficult with how much of a pushover everything else was

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
The Pokemon League Hall of Fame is definitely the endgame of some Team collecting genetic imprints of all the strongest Pokemon, right?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Question, are there any unique costumes in the game like how in USUMO you got the Karate gi for completing the Pokedex?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

lezard_valeth posted:

Question, are there any unique costumes in the game like how in USUMO you got the Karate gi for completing the Pokedex?

You get gym leader uniforms for beating gyms and a champion shirt for beating the game.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
You can get 2 sets of clothing by talking to the BP shop owner at the Battle Tower. One set is given out for reaching Masterball rank in the Battle Tower. The other is given out for participating in ranked matches online.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Nov 28, 2019

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
K, I had both of those already. Oh well. I'll keep my fingers crossed for more customization options in gen 9. Heck this gen made me realize I want to be a fashionable old lady next gen

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Also

https://twitter.com/luulubuu/status/1199649262771982336

whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy the loving christ is this not brought up in the game at all? why is any bit of characterization for the "antagonists" only found in complementary material???? gf you are killing me

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

lezard_valeth posted:

Also

whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy the loving christ is this not brought up in the game at all? why is any bit of characterization for the "antagonists" only found in complementary material???? gf you are killing me

Doesn't seem like there's a source for that that though.

EDIT: Yeah it was deleted off of that page. Also it was from a wikia and those are trash.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Nov 28, 2019

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Blaziken386 posted:

e: @ the people who complained about no Hall of Fame - your pokemon still get the Hall of Fame ribbon? You don't put them in a computer scanner to record it or whatever, but it's still a thing.
Also your winning team stands with you on the title screen! Unless that's just always reflecting your current team. I don't see the title screen much.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Other games let you look up the entries though. And at least some if them had a slideshow of all your gym victory teams, that was also neat.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

would like to say that it is, in fact, super cool and not at all annoying for this to be the gen where box legendaries once again have stupidly low catch rates while also giving said legendary pokemon 170 base attack, an ability that auto-raises its attack, and swords dance.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Here's my trainer card, I hope I'm not too late to this crazy train.

0000 0008 T42C 31

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Blaziken386 posted:

would like to say that it is, in fact, super cool and not at all annoying for this to be the gen where box legendaries once again have stupidly low catch rates while also giving said legendary pokemon 170 base attack, an ability that auto-raises its attack, and swords dance.

i just used the masterball first thing

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Blaziken386 posted:

Me: I'm beginning to notice that my team doesn't have a very good way to deal with strong Steel types. Eh, probably not important.
Game: Here's Zacian, it's 5+ levels higher than anything on your team.

Oh. :downs:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I've getting what looks like a hacked Pokemon related error when a buddy is trying to trade with me and he's definitely not in a position to have hacked Pokemon so we are stumped.

Something to the effect of "There is a problem with your partner's Pokemon" and the trade auto-cancelling.

We got round it by just having him breed another one of whatever we were trying to send which worked fine but the error is still annoying. Anyone else had this?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

i just used the masterball first thing

Besides shineys there’s not much else you’d blow a mb on this turn around, is there?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

luckily, Complaining on the Internet™ worked once again, and I now have a Zacian in a luxury ball :3:

in related news, Hop's final rival battle matched up to Barry and Hau in terms of "actually finally good at the end", so kudos to him. in other related news, sequel where the protagonist actually is crowned king/queen due to catching the Legendary Wolf and the royal dipshits abdicating and naming them as heir when, gamefreak?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

felt that this thread was sorely lacking without these pics of grookey

yes this is technically a double post but it's been a couple hours and it's not related to the other one at all, so

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Blaziken386 posted:

luckily, Complaining on the Internet™ worked once again, and I now have a Zacian in a luxury ball :3:

in related news, Hop's final rival battle matched up to Barry and Hau in terms of "actually finally good at the end", so kudos to him. in other related news, sequel where the protagonist actually is crowned king/queen due to catching the Legendary Wolf and the royal dipshits abdicating and naming them as heir when, gamefreak?

Just for trivia, Z&Z have catch rates of 10; most legendaries have a catch rate of 3. Mons like Snorlax have 25. Just to put it in perspective. I got my Zamazenta in a Moon Ball on a random "this'd be funny" whim.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Now that i've traded and gotten all 3 starters to their final forms, I feel that, while Rillaboom is awesome as hell, Inteleon is totally my jam.

Cinderace will stay in the box forever, where they belong.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

It’s more likely the level difference, anecdotal but I think ss weights that for catch rates much heavier than other factors.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

lezard_valeth posted:

Also

This one is an open ended “show, don’t tell,” bit of characterization. :v: You have this trainer with all these classically beautiful Pokemon, but her signature one is literal garbage. The contrast there is extremely telling of her character.

Also Leon being legit hard was a good surprise given how drat much the game hyped him up as an unbeatable champion. It’d have been really easy to gently caress up “show, don’t tell” with him given how much they talk him up so I guess they went with “tell it to the player incessantly, then show.” :colbert:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Oleana's signature pokemone being literal garbage isn't some show don't tell thing. They spent the entire game saying she's super devoted and focused to Chairman Rose, who looks like every awful middle aged guy on twitter DMing girls with "AH You're so tiny". We already know she loves trash. Another goddess of a woman devoted to just the worst.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

lezard_valeth posted:

this is something someone wrote on the pokemon wikia, it's not from any official source

https://pokemon.fandom.com/wiki/Oleana?diff=1176552&oldid=1173912

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
oleana's signature pokemon is garbodor because all of her pokemon are beautiful

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

*piers awkwardly stomps and lip flaps into a mic while his adoring fans praise is equally silent*

Meanwhile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJMuU9XGLvg

Dogars!

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Cinderace will stay in the box forever, where they belong.

:smith:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm trying to get a shiny corsola as it really is one of my favorite pokemon ever and god it's just so sad it breaks my heart :smith:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Bleck posted:

:yeah:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Bleck posted:

Checks out.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm trying to get a shiny corsola as it really is one of my favorite pokemon ever and god it's just so sad it breaks my heart :smith:
it's one of my favorite "new" pokémon for sure. What a gut punch :smith:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Happy Falinksgiving

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

My partner has been flooding the Surprise Trade with Corsolas because it's become one of his favorite Pokemon this gen. He does that sometimes during his massive breeding projects of his favorites.

He was going to do Delibird Christmas like he did with S/M, sending out boatloads of Delibirds from the day after Thanksgiving up to Christmas Eve, but Surprise Trade is so poo poo compared to Wonder Trade it's probably not going to happen.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Licarn posted:

this is something someone wrote on the pokemon wikia, it's not from any official source

https://pokemon.fandom.com/wiki/Oleana?diff=1176552&oldid=1173912

I heard Garbodor is actually a metaphor for circumcision

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
So do we know what the probability of a raid pokemon having a hidden ability is?

I'm looking for HA seismitoad and it took me 45 mins just to get him to show up and a few tries to bear it with ai trainers. No HA after all that. It's going to be really annoying catching so many toads.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
What's some good stuff to Wonder Trade? I like firing off trade evolves and baby Pokemon and stuff to randos while I'm wandering around.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Marx Headroom posted:

What's some good stuff to Wonder Trade? I like firing off trade evolves and baby Pokemon and stuff to randos while I'm wandering around.

Trade evos, babies, hard to find, and version exclusives

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Oleana's signature pokemone being literal garbage isn't some show don't tell thing. They spent the entire game saying she's super devoted and focused to Chairman Rose, who looks like every awful middle aged guy on twitter DMing girls with "AH You're so tiny". We already know she loves trash. Another goddess of a woman devoted to just the worst.

Which is hilariously sad when she dumps Bede like a sack of rocks knowing that both of them are charity cases Rose decided to invest into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Any tips for evolving Farfetch'd? I have a leak on him and he's lvl 35ish.