Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
Turkey loving sucks too OP
i dont give a gently caress OP im gonna watch football and drink till i cant see
ants on a log
good gravy
Canned cranberry sauce rules bitch!!!
Goku Racist Unkle drunk at dinner. Screaming about millennials.
View Results

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

anything with marshmallows :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012

numberoneposter posted:

Celeste is a stripper name.

Is that a problem?

Hookers=good times

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Julius CSAR posted:

I like green bean casserole, but then again I am extremely midwestern, so it's probably why

But what if the condensed cream of mushroom soup makes it too spicy? :ohdear:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

numberoneposter posted:

anything with marshmallows :barf:
They're fine if you cook them in the turkey cavity.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

But what if the condensed cream of mushroom soup makes it too spicy? :ohdear:

That what the marshmallows on the sweet potatoes are for

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

numberoneposter posted:

Celeste is a stripper name.

:agreed:

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

it means celestial and like being open to the universe in general, yknow?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Rather be with a stripper named Celeste than anyone named Tiffany :shrug:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Literally A Person posted:

Rather be with a stripper named Celeste than anyone named Tiffany :shrug:
What about Tiffany at breakfast? As I recall you kind of liked her.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I know a girl named Mindy. :grin:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

FactsAreUseless posted:

What about Tiffany at breakfast? As I recall you kind of liked her.

You're thinking of brunch with Tanner.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I remember this one there's like six cacodemons right at the start but you can get the BFG early if you know where the secret door is.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

I’m having a lot of trouble with the scale here. Are those really big Ritz crackers? Or really small slices of bologna making up the “cake” layers?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

I’m having a lot of trouble with the scale here. Are those really big Ritz crackers? Or really small slices of bologna making up the “cake” layers?

i didnt notice this and yeah, the scale is weirding me out now.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Gather ‘round and I will tell you all the terrible Thanksgiving secret of my family. Please heed my warning:

Popeyes Chicken sells Cajun seasoned turkeys every year around thanksgiving. They don’t advertise that they have them for the most part. You usually have to ask at the counter and they sell out very quickly.

About 3 years ago, I read about the turkey on a food blog somewhere and we decided to try it for laughs since it was just us and the kids that Thanksgiving. No one expected it to be good. We preordered one in late October and waited...

The day arrived and we popped it in the oven (already cleaned). It was the best goddamned thanksgiving turkey I have ever had. It took hours off of our food prep time leaving more time for family stuff. We served it with a cornbread chorizo stuffing and it was out of this world.

The secret is that we have continued to use this turkey for Thanksgivings with the family year over year. One of my sisters in law kept bugging my wife until she shared the terrible secret... and now she buys the turkey too. It is like a virus. Someday, you too will buy the turkey but then you must bear its terrible burden of secrecy.

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Nov 27, 2019

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Giant_Pupils posted:

Gather ‘round and I will tell you all the terrible Thanksgiving secret of my family. Please heed my warning:

Popeyes Chicken sells Cajun seasoned turkeys every year around thanksgiving. They don’t advertise that they have them for the most part. You usually have to ask at the counter and they sell out very quickly.

About 3 years ago, I read about the turkey on a food blog somewhere and we decided to try it for laughs since it was just us and the kids that Thanksgiving. No one expected it to be good. We preordered one in late October and waited...

The day arrived and we popped it in the oven (already cleaned). It was the best goddamned thanksgiving turkey I have ever had. It took hours off of our food prep time leaving more time for family stuff. We served it with a cornbread chorizo stuffing and it was out of this world.

The secret is that we have continued to use this turkey for Thanksgivings with the family year over year. One of my sisters in law kept bugging my wife until she shared the terrible secret... and now she buys the turkey too. It is like a virus. Someday, you too will buy the turkey but then you must bear its terrible burden of secrecy.

same but i buy my "turkey" at the elmers glue refinery

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Think what it would be like to stick your dick in this

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Dinner's ready, Burt.

:krust::krust::krust:

warcraft_boyfriend_99
Aug 12, 2007

by Pragmatica

Julius CSAR posted:

I like green bean casserole, but then again I am extremely midwestern, so it's probably why

Green bean casserole is awesome. People in this thread just grew up in households that cant cook for poo poo and the art of the green bean casserole has been lost for many families. Green Bean Casserole is the most Midwestern food in the world :)

Use frozen regular cut green beans, not that canned crap and not stringy gross french style. Steam them first so they are cooked, this is the MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU CAN DO. use bacon you have cooked yourself. For 2 pounds of steamed green beans, you will want to add 4oz shiitake and 4 oz oyster mushrooms, saute in butter and then add them to the green beans once they are nice and browned and have no water at all. Use 1 can of golden mushroom and 1 can cream of mushroom. use soy sauce instead of salt. Add minced garlic. Use a bit more pepper than you think you should. Add the french fried onions after the casserole has already cooked about 25 minutes or so (after its crazy bubbly).

I am sure a recipe exists that you can follow somewhere out there, these are just tips. Green bean casserole is a big winner if you take the time to make it right. I go the extra mile and add caramelized onions to the base but that's just too much work if you don't have those on hand, not a requirement to make it an amazing side dish that everyone raves about. If you just follow the recipe on the side of those fried onions, you might as well not make it at all.

warcraft_boyfriend_99 fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Nov 27, 2019

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

My mom always makes this delicious green bean salad for thanksgiving so for years I thought that was what a green bean casserole was. Then I had a real green bean casserole and it was pretty disgusting. They're just a pile of beige slime with some crunchy bits.

Mummy Xzibit posted:

gently caress that, so spatchcocked looked great on Serious Eats and seems to be the general consensus here yeah? Not planning on doing a big turkey.

The Serious Eats spatchcock + dry brine method is basically a cheat code for making turkey delicious instead of dry and bland. I've done it the last two years and had half the guests coming to me privately (outside of their mothers' earshot) after dinner and saying it was the best turkey they've ever had. And then everyone in the gamestop applauded. Seriously though. Bonus: as long as you have basic knife skills it's actually quicker and easier than cooking a turkey the regular way.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Nov 27, 2019

warcraft_boyfriend_99
Aug 12, 2007

by Pragmatica

The Moon Monster posted:

My mom always makes this delicious green bean salad for thanksgiving so for years I thought that was what a green bean casserole was. Then I had a real green bean casserole and it was pretty disgusting.

The Serious Eats spatchcock + dry brine method is basically a cheat code for making turkey delicious instead of dry and bland. I've done it the last two years and had half the guests coming to me privately (outside of their mothers' earshot) after dinner and saying it was the best turkey they've ever had. And then everyone in the gamestop applauded. Seriously though. Bonus: as long as you have basic knife skills it's actually quicker and easier than cooking a turkey the regular way.

This thread had me try spatchcock + the alton brown wet brine i already had made up. gonna pull it tomorrow, hit it with some boiled water and then let it dry in the fridge overnight seasoned. i have high hopes.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
The students were asking me how I cook my turkey and I momentarily forgot I was talking to highschoolers and it turns out spatchcock is now the go to ice burn among the dudes. I explained it wasn’t a bad word just a cooking term so they were all just going to town with it lol.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

big nipples big life posted:

pickled beets are amazing

Crinkle-cut, whole, or shredded?

This is actually irrelevant as they all taste the same :yum:

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Going off the olives, I think it's just a small cake?

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
It looks like he made it out of regular sized bologna. We're just used to cake shaped things being much bigger so it looks weird.

Probably going to my sister's tomorrow to eat bland, dry turkey with bland side dishes while her toddlers stare at their iPads and eat plain refried beans in corn tortillas like total weirdos because things with flavor are too spicy.

Not that anything they eat is spicy in any way. My family makes exactly the same dishes every holiday: unseasoned turkey, plain mashed potatoes, croissant rolls, box dressing, package gravy, mac n cheese, canned cranberry sauce and green bean casserole. Dessert is cookies and some store pie.

gently caress sake, my family doesn't even drink. I have to eat bland food in awkward sobriety.

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

FlimFlam Imam posted:

Heading to Doob's for the traditional Thanksgiving Dinner!

I'd eat this and the majority of other hotdog related dishes. Slap some hot mustard on that and I'd be good.

bird with big dick posted:

To each of those....kinda like sticking it in your mom. Depends on the day either slimy/cold or hot/dry.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
I remember when I lived in the projects and the big drug king pin used to give all us poor folks turkeys

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Giant_Pupils posted:

I really hate green bean casserole. It’s such a nasty dish. French style green beans slathered in cream of mushroom soup. Maybe some onion straws sprinkled on top. Blech.

It always makes an appearance at every Thanksgiving dinner and everyone expects it to show up, but everyone just takes the one polite spoonful and leaves 3/4 of a casserole dish to throw away in a couple weeks.

End of the night on thanksgiving you can find me eating what is left over of that poo poo outta the aluminum pan idgaf i love that terrible slop

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
My ex's family did not communicate what everyone was bringing so there would always be 3 aluminum pans of cream of mushroom gb cass

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Aspic is the word for the gelatin abominations. Remembered after 3 days.

I love chinatown's annual thanksgiving day threads.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

The students were asking me how I cook my turkey and I momentarily forgot I was talking to highschoolers and it turns out spatchcock is now the go to ice burn among the dudes. I explained it wasn’t a bad word just a cooking term so they were all just going to town with it lol.

After a beef ad got put up near my elementary school we started calling people we didn't like "anguses" for awhile.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I'mma be getting hosed up in SD tomorrow where should I go for good Thanksgiving meal CT?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Nooner posted:

I'mma be getting hosed up in SD tomorrow where should I go for good Thanksgiving meal CT?

Need more location deets.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Half a head of giant cauliflower, smothered in mayonnaise, topped with shredded cheese. Baked.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The most awful Thanksgiving food is any ‘stuffing’ cooked externally from the turkey. I was excitedly chatting about eating on Monday (my family works so we’re doing turkey on the 2nd) and my brother and his wife completely balked at the idea of stuffing the bird. My mom is vegetarian so she was gonna make her own anyway, by my brother and his wife both want simple stove top and told me I couldn’t stuff the turkey!

I was livid... until I slept on it and realized “wait if you’re all gonna eat your own crappy stuffing anyway than I’m still gonna make my own stuffing, you’re not using the turkey’s butthole for anything else.”

The weirdest part of the whole thing is my brother is a CHEF and he’s never stuffed a turkey before and he’s DEEPLY CONCERNED that my stuffing will somehow ruin the bird.

FYI: I dice a loaf of sourdough bread and then mix it with hot Italian sausage, minced artichoke hearts, sliced mushrooms, and Gorgonzola crumbles, light seasoning. You pack that turkey until it bursts and the sumptuous stuffing you dig out of it is loving mana from the gods, dawg. Any stuffing you have that doesn’t fit in the bird goes into some mushroom caps that I’ve been marinading in Balsamic vinegar and served as H’ors douvres

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Just found out my family is doing Italian food this year instead of the traditional stuff. 😎

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Green bean casserole. Yuck.

You're doing it wrong.
I make mine with fresh green beans and make a mushroom roux from scratch and add sour and fresh cream to it.

If you're eating the canned green beans and canned cream of mushroom soup, poo poo is hosed from the get go

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Big Beef City posted:

You're doing it wrong.
I make mine with fresh green beans and make a mushroom roux from scratch and add sour and fresh cream to it.

Absolutely this. You blanch the beans for about 20 seconds in boiling water. You make a thin béchamel and add the most ridiculously expensive mushrooms you can find, girolles, ceps, chanterelles what have you. If you want to go to the trouble of frying shallots in beef dripping and then running them through a dehydrator be my guest. 99% of this ‘omg X sucks’ is just ‘i’m lazy’ or ‘my mom can’t cook’.

Also, beets go in borscht. If you haven’t made this from scratch using 3lbs of brisket and a massive ham bone, you should: you’ll never talk poo poo about beets again.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Nooner posted:

South Dakota suck yo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
South Dakota is like if you took North Dakota and made it even Dakota-er. Shameful.