Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

PS4's a better go; Far more games and (if streamed gaming is THAT important) PSNow lets you download titles if they're PS4-compatible. Sony already learned the hard way not everyone has fibre internet.

xbox online services and game pass pricing is far better and also gives you games to play locally on your pc without it being streamed, also the 360 games play locally instead of streamed like the ps4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Also, while I think Sony is absolutely going to change this with the launch of PS5, currently MS puts way more recent titles with some launching day and date on gamepass alongside all first party titles forever.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

$1 for game pass PC is a steal. Also there’s a decent chance MS will forget to increase the price eventually.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

hostile apostle posted:

I'm literally doing this today - only on my parents TV in 4K (upscaled :)) and my laptop, and not my 5" phone screen in 720p

Probably just a bunch of astroturfers, right? /s
https://www.reddit.com/r/Stadia/comments/e2it3g/as_someone_who_has_been_in_the_geforce_now_beta/

I'll have to take to the obvious conclusion presented here and go with astroturfing.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Lambert posted:

Tons of things change, but Microsoft retains a sizable compatibility layer. For 32 bit applications, for example, Microsoft has an x86 emulator called WOW64 that transparently handles executing them.
It's not an emulator. It's as much of the 32bit userland, that you'd find in 32bit Windows, needed to run a 32bit application. There's a small abstraction layer that sits between this and the kernel to translate the syscalls. The CPU gets switched to 32bit mode while running that stuff.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

well why not posted:

$1 for game pass PC is a steal. Also there’s a decent chance MS will forget to increase the price eventually.

Where's it a bike besides the trial?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Question:

If Stadia allowed you to install games locally and stream any game you owned on whatever device while away from your PC would that change the equation for any one in the thread? Let's assume they had a decent selection in their store and not what's there now.

I would be a lot more interested in it if this was the case. I'm deep in the Google ecosystem so give me Steam but Google with streaming and I'm in.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Anything that sounds remotely like a good idea they won't do. Alot of Google's teams sound like they're braindead at the top.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

D-Pad posted:

Question:

If Stadia allowed you to install games locally and stream any game you owned on whatever device while away from your PC would that change the equation for any one in the thread? Let's assume they had a decent selection in their store and not what's there now.

I would be a lot more interested in it if this was the case. I'm deep in the Google ecosystem so give me Steam but Google with streaming and I'm in.

I mean at that point it's basically the same as ps4 remote play or geforce now.

But how would pricing even work in this scenario? Would you have to pay a monthly fee, buy the game and run it off your own hardware to whatever device you were on? Would you only need the monthly fee if you streamed from their hardware?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I mean at that point it's basically the same as ps4 remote play or geforce now.

But how would pricing even work in this scenario? Would you have to pay a monthly fee, buy the game and run it off your own hardware to whatever device you were on? Would you only need the monthly fee if you streamed from their hardware?

If they did it right it would be free like Steam and the subscription would get you streaming, better deals on store games, and a few free games a month like the consoles.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It would be a fundamentally different product, not the least of all because their streaming setup would mean either only 22 games can be streamed at launch on their store front or they dont develop using a Linux base.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/DualShockers/status/1199820632516509696?s=19

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They should make it Netfix-style. Pay a massive fee to license games from studios and make every game available and free to all subscribers. It’d be a huge amount of money but it’d also be least painful.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vegetable posted:

They should make it Netfix-style. Pay a massive fee to license games from studios and make every game available and free to all subscribers. It’d be a huge amount of money but it’d also be least painful.

Lol, no. Being offered that much money by Google would just make the publishers see blood in the water and tack on their own lovely streamed services.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Combat Pretzel posted:

It's not an emulator. It's as much of the 32bit userland, that you'd find in 32bit Windows, needed to run a 32bit application. There's a small abstraction layer that sits between this and the kernel to translate the syscalls. The CPU gets switched to 32bit mode while running that stuff.

True on x64. But this depends on the platform, on ARM, it's full-blown emulation.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vegetable posted:

This is Microsofts offering, its also one that actually makes sense

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Lol, no. Being offered that much money by Google would just make the publishers see blood in the water and tack on their own lovely streamed services.

That would happen with Google not offering them money but doing semi decently anyway.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Google's refunding everyone who bought December's free games.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Something that never happened on the PSN.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The winner of the stream wars will be Amazon, because they will end selling their server hosting services to others

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

D-Pad posted:

Question:

That would be literally Steam. Because that's what Steam does, right now. Except they don't charge a subscription for it, or require you to get special hardware.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
If it didn't use your own upstream capacity or hardware for the streaming, then it would be Steam But Better. Steam Remote Play has turned out to be really lacking in usability every time I've tried it, even when I'm using it within my own home network. I wouldn't even want to consider using it from anywhere else.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Yeah in my experience I’ve had much better results with ps4 remote play than steam streaming.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It only barely even does better than streaming over Teamviewer or VNC for me. Considering that those aren't even meant for streaming videos or games but rather for remote-controlling desktop workstations, that's a pretty sad statement.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I think Steam Streaming works on pretty much anything, it's like software rendering or some such, but that means it's rough. Nvidia's Gamestream works a ton better, but you need a gaming-tier Nvidia GPU of some kind (I think you can go as far back as a 660, if memory serves).

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

On server or client? If I just need it on one side then I really have to try that out, because I've got a 1070 Ti in my desktop PC and that certainly ought to be plenty.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I have 350mbps down and only 10mbps up which is the killer for doing my own streaming. Realistically in non peak times I'm able to hit more like 15mbps up but I called and my ISP cannot sell me more upstream unless I go up to gigabit, which I have no need for and is quite expensive. I already pay an absolutely ridiculous amount for internet :(

That's obviously the most appealing model to me as I've already invested in powerful hardware at home and expensive internet and the games themselves.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cardiovorax posted:

On server or client? If I just need it on one side then I really have to try that out, because I've got a 1070 Ti in my desktop PC and that certainly ought to be plenty.

Not sure tbh. Definitely server-side, not sure about client. There's free unofficial software called "Moonlight" that leverages it for greater flexibility.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

univbee posted:

Not sure tbh. Definitely server-side, not sure about client. There's free unofficial software called "Moonlight" that leverages it for greater flexibility.
Yeah, after checking, NVidia Gamestream only works to Nvidia's SHIELD tablets by default, so the at least the work is done serverside. I'll have to see how well that Moonlight thing works for me. Thanks for the recommendation.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

charity rereg posted:

I have 350mbps down and only 10mbps up which is the killer for doing my own streaming. Realistically in non peak times I'm able to hit more like 15mbps up but I called and my ISP cannot sell me more upstream unless I go up to gigabit, which I have no need for and is quite expensive. I already pay an absolutely ridiculous amount for internet :(

That's obviously the most appealing model to me as I've already invested in powerful hardware at home and expensive internet and the games themselves.

The increase costs so much because 15mbps is probably as much as they can offer on cable. Fiber is equal up and down and likely what the gigabit is. You are paying for the better latency and reliability. I'm not trying to convince you, it's probably double the cost. But maybe it's now a good value.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Tei posted:

The winner of the stream wars will be Amazon, because they will end selling their server hosting services to others
Pretty sure Google and Microsoft are using their own servers m8. They’re more or less the only ones competing with Amazon in sheer fucktonage of internet infrastructure.

The natural conclusion to this is Amazon needs to join the cloud gaming wars. Hell, build it into Twitch and make that a behemoth of a game streaming platform. The cloud wars will be amazing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

univbee posted:

Moonlighting on the Vita lag was still an issue, but image quality was fantastic.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

Tei posted:

Both Microsoft and Google are major cloud providers.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

D-Pad posted:

Question:

No, the whole point is that you don't need your own hardware...

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Stadia needs to be as expensive as possible due to all the value it provides. The higher the price the more value you'll get.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

DatonKallandor posted:

That would be literally Steam. Because that's what Steam does, right now. Except they don't charge a subscription for it, or require you to get special hardware.

Are you sure?
I didn't know I could stream steam games to a different location / network than your Pc. Oh and you better not want to use your computer that the game is installed on for anything because the game will be running and in focus.

Don't you need something capable of running the steam streaming application like a steam box or rasPi?

I'm not trying to "hostile it" here but how is steam streaming the same thing as stream anywhere and also have a local copy?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

tater_salad posted:

Don't you need something capable of running the steam streaming application like a steam box or rasPi?
No, that's basically platform independent. Tried it myself from Win10 desktop to Win10 laptop within the same network, ought to even work from Windows to *nix or OSX. I haven't tried it outside of that yet, but it would be unplayable anyway, so why bother.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

tater_salad posted:

Are you sure?
I didn't know I could stream steam games to a different location / network than your Pc. Oh and you better not want to use your computer that the game is installed on for anything because the game will be running and in focus.

I'm not trying to "hostile it" here but how is steam streaming the same thing as stream anywhere and also have a local copy?

Oh sorry I misunderstood then, I thought you wanted just a local copy being streamed anywhere (Steam can do that). If you want both a virtual machine in the "cloud" as well as an optional local copy, that's PSNow I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

shadow puppet of a posted:

Hello from REGION

everything is perfect. I am a real GAMER, let me prove it: SWEARWORD. I love PRODUCT its so great. Lets all keep up this positive result for PRODUCT. its soo good am I right GAMERS. time for FORWARD LOOKING STATEMENT OF SUCCESS
I-I had no idea it would be so shameless

reddit. don't go there, it's a shithole posted:

So I tried Destiny 2 on Stadia... What the heck is this magic?!
So last night I was reading through this sub about people's experiences with Stadia and decided to take the plunge.

This morning my code came (should get the TV package tomorrow) and I immediately jumped out of bed and gave it a try with my XB1 controller on PC. (So just to state, My PC is wired in, I get around 50mbps down and 8 up... and I'm with BT in the UK)

I've used all of the big streaming platforms, from GeForce Now to xCloud to PSNow... heck, anyone remember OnLive? haha. Anyway, having tried everything else, I went in expecting an alright experience that probably needs a lot of work to bring latency down.

NOPE. THAT MOFO WAS SMOOTH AS HELL.

So I set up my account, activate cross save and press on Destiny 2. I go to the tower, grab my bounties and head out to do some strikes. First strike I load into was stupidly fast. I have D2 on an SSD on my PC and this blew it out of the water. Then I get into a game, I feel how the latency is in first person and no joke, I just said "HOW?!" out loud in both amazement and confusion haha. I was absolutely amazed at how the latency felt. Its so drat small that you legitimately can't really feel it. When I used my mouse and keyboard, it just felt like I had VSync on. The fact that I couldn't really feel any latency blew me away. Just a smooth 60fps experience.
etc, etc. it just keeps going...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stadia/comments/e2w1sr/so_i_tried_destiny_2_on_stadia_what_the_heck_is/