Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
More exploring: in the peninsula to the southeast of the farm, are a bunch of metroids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

So, a thing about reviews:

I've seen at least three people ragging on the mission where you deliver Mama over the mountains to her sister, complaining that it's the worst mission ever in the world. But it took me less than fifteen minutes. Ten minutes to get her up the mountain towards the weather station, five minutes in a truck driving over the pass north of the Weather Station. Like, that's it. The mission where you get stuck in a blizzard delivering stuff to the Spiritualist was harder. The Antimatter Bomb mission was harder. It's literally a walk and an easy drive.

Yeah, there are problems, but some of the bitches and gripes that people have are so mind-blowingly stupid. It'd be like people complaining that you have to ride a horse in Red Dead 2 to get anywhere.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Modest Mao posted:

I think punishing you mechanically for killing is a stronger message than just not including it or not allowing it

That's a good point. I never did it, but I assume you have to take any body you kill to an incinerator or tar lake?

J.A.B.C. posted:

So, a thing about reviews:

I've seen at least three people ragging on the mission where you deliver Mama over the mountains to her sister, complaining that it's the worst mission ever in the world. But it took me less than fifteen minutes. Ten minutes to get her up the mountain towards the weather station, five minutes in a truck driving over the pass north of the Weather Station. Like, that's it. The mission where you get stuck in a blizzard delivering stuff to the Spiritualist was harder. The Antimatter Bomb mission was harder. It's literally a walk and an easy drive.

Yeah, there are problems, but some of the bitches and gripes that people have are so mind-blowingly stupid. It'd be like people complaining that you have to ride a horse in Red Dead 2 to get anywhere.

As for that mission, I walked the whole time with Mama - climbing down canyons, crossing rivers, etc. - and it was my favorite mission in the entire game.

I think a lot of the negative reactions to this game are from people who basically refused to meet the game on its own terms and blamed the game for it. Like, there are tons of "this game sucks" videos where people try to run up sheer cliffs or drive motorcycles over mountainous terrain when some of the earliest moments in the game are about teaching you not to do that.

It's this all over again.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I think a lot of the negative reactions to this game are from people who basically refused to meet the game on its own terms and blamed the game for it. Like, there are tons of "this game sucks" videos where people try to run up sheer cliffs or drive motorcycles over mountainous terrain when some of the earliest moments in the game are about teaching you not to do that.

"The game makes your character stumble and fall completely at random. That's objectively bad game design." <footage of character sprinting full speed over piles of rocks>

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

MeatwadIsGod posted:

It's absolutely disheartening watching people loving up navigating flat terrain, but sometimes they'll show you enough you'll notice they never hold the Shift Weight buttons - the change in prompt to mean hold is subtle enough and UI blindness is real
I didn't notice how the inventory management screen shows the hold X prompt on its confirm button and holding will play the whole animation - pressing once also works there, no idea why they did that

Triarii posted:

"The game makes your character stumble and fall completely at random. That's objectively bad game design." <footage of character sprinting full speed over piles of rocks>
And you can totally sprint full speed over piles of rocks! The balance system is extremely forgiving if you just follow the prompts

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

MeatwadIsGod posted:

That's a good point. I never did it, but I assume you have to take any body you kill to an incinerator or tar lake?

As for that mission, I walked the whole time with Mama - climbing down canyons, crossing rivers, etc. - and it was my favorite mission in the entire game.

It is 100% this. They are also apparently pissed at the kinda big spoiler dialog mario and princess peach line.

Giant bomb spent 3 minutes on a podcast saying how dumb it was and there are tons of YouTube videos showing that scene where people berate the story.

I personally loved that line and that the writing is very aware you are in a video game. The constant references to continued, game overs, etc. are fantastic in context and it makes that line a funny albeit corny culmination of that theme.

I don’t get why people are trying desperately to hate on the game - hell even this thread is 2/5 despite nearly everyone posting loving it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
More random sightings: the peninsula south of the paleontologist also has metroids

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

These are the only two areas I've found them, too; was scared shitless but you can just pop 'em from a distance which ultimately accomplishes nothing. The hummingbird/mosquito design is nice and unsettling

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So I went back to five-star The Elder, and wasn't expecting a BT to appear in the hologram instead :ohdear:.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I spent most of the game yolo-ing down mountains at full speed wearing the all terrain legs and never once beefed it and dropped all my poo poo

Reviewers are bad at video games

Lanth
Jun 15, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So I went back to five-star The Elder, and wasn't expecting a BT to appear in the hologram instead :ohdear:.

loving spoiled. :(

I know it's my own fault but maybe you could have put the prepper name before the spoiler tags?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Is that dependent on whether you get him the [URGENT] medicine before some point in the story? I five-starred him early and there was no changes in his demeanor/dialogue well into chapter 15

precision posted:

If there's one upside to this YouTube era of game reviewing, it's seeing all those self-important pricks (that you'd take at face value in written form) just straight up ignore omnipresent UI elements and struggle to understand the simplest mechanics. I've always had a weird reverence towards reviewers and having the actual footage available just shatters the wall

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ruffian Price posted:

Is that dependent on whether you get him the [URGENT] medicine before some point in the story? I five-starred him early and there was no changes in his demeanor/dialogue well into chapter 15

Well, let's just say that probably answers my next question about whether his death was preventable... :sigh:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Modest Mao posted:

I think punishing you mechanically for killing is a stronger message than just not including it or not allowing it

It really isn't much punishment. The only time bodies you make turn into BTs is if you stand there staring. Otherwise you just get yelled at by Die-Hardman and nothing really happens. Kojima's lack of commitment to the game's premise is one of its huge weaknesses.

Presenting Nipples posted:

It is 100% this. They are also apparently pissed at the kinda big spoiler dialog mario and princess peach line.

Giant bomb spent 3 minutes on a podcast saying how dumb it was and there are tons of YouTube videos showing that scene where people berate the story.

I personally loved that line and that the writing is very aware you are in a video game. The constant references to continued, game overs, etc. are fantastic in context and it makes that line a funny albeit corny culmination of that theme.

I don’t get why people are trying desperately to hate on the game - hell even this thread is 2/5 despite nearly everyone posting loving it.

The writing is really, really spotty imo- there's some really good stuff in the last stretch but it's very hard to take seriously if you weren't hooked early on, and if you're not down for loredumps and Reedus no-selling every emotional line he gets delivered, you're probably going to be soured on the game before you get to the better writing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

After I beat the Whale and I was running into the city, liking all the smiley face and you can do it signs genuinely felt like I was high fiving people as I went. That was probably the best experience I've ever had in a video game

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
It hasn't been THAT long since the Death Stranding. Considering all the pop culture collectables that get shipped around I wouldn't be surprised at a character making that pun even without breaking the fourth wall.

Hell, considering how fragile the new generation of consoles are I wouldn't be surprised at all that the only console survives are the older Nintendo models. A Gameboy color survived 911.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The problem with the Mama part of the game is that it has you going back and forth A LOT, and through snowey mountains as well. Honestly the part where you carry Mama is the least annoying part of that section.

Also I remember saying I wasn't a fan of having to balance stuff when I first started the game, but after finishing it I take that complaint back. That's such a huge part of the gameplay I feel like it's actually pretty important that it's there.

Gripweed posted:

After I beat the Whale and I was running into the city, liking all the smiley face and you can do it signs genuinely felt like I was high fiving people as I went. That was probably the best experience I've ever had in a video game

I always loved seeing the signs people left after you get a new place on to the chirial network. Just getting it online then turning around and seeing all the encouraging signs at the entrance :unsmith:

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Ruffian Price posted:

And you can totally sprint full speed over piles of rocks! The balance system is extremely forgiving if you just follow the prompts
Too forgiving, to the point where balance and avoiding obstacles essentially became a non mechanic for me. Outside of going down especially steep hills I could just sprint without a care and if I happened to lose my balance I'd mindlessly follow the prompt. Very early on I actually thought you had to time it just right and it would vary depending on your positioning, but there isn't actually any skill involved. Once you're able to figure out the crappy UI large parts of the game become trivial.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Macaluso posted:

The problem with the Mama part of the game is that it has you going back and forth A LOT, and through snowey mountains as well. Honestly the part where you carry Mama is the least annoying part of that section.

Also I remember saying I wasn't a fan of having to balance stuff when I first started the game, but after finishing it I take that complaint back. That's such a huge part of the gameplay I feel like it's actually pretty important that it's there.

I always loved seeing the signs people left after you get a new place on to the chirial network. Just getting it online then turning around and seeing all the encouraging signs at the entrance :unsmith:

Keep on keeping on!

Likers get liked!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Ineffiable posted:

Keep on keeping on!

Likers get liked!

This kind of thing was especially cool after the fight with the giant BT in West Knot City

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Macaluso posted:

This kind of thing was especially cool after the fight with the giant BT in West Knot City
Chiral crystals here!
Happy
Happy
Chiral crystals here!

:kimchi:

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Don't give up, skeleton.

Mecharasputin
May 30, 2009

Ultra Carp
For me this game does so much right, and so much wrong and I honestly can't tell if I love it hate it. I thoroughly enjoyed the first dozen or so hours, absolutely loved climbing up and down hills to a backdrop of haunting music, experiencing the world and smashing Monster Energy Drinks TM.

...but as the game continued the beautiful desolate landscapes turned into shining highways and illuminated bridges, BTs turned from a scary unknown into a repetitive, annoying obstacle, and the more connected the game world became, the more disconnected I felt from it.

The story beats were uneven, the same canned animations you see over and over when delivering cargo became tiring and the gameplay remained simple and repetitive.

I'm on chapter 5, absolutely loved the world war one segment in chapter 4, and really hope for more crazy departures from delivering boxes, because that's really starting to grow old, but all in all I think I rode the hype train too hard. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it was something more polished.
MGS V had stellar gameplay and a severely underbaked story. This game is the opposite. I'm certain I'll finish it, but it's definitely not goty material for me right now.
/rant

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
I didn't notice how the inventory management screen shows the hold X prompt on its confirm button and holding will play the whole animation - pressing once also works there, no idea why they did that

Pressing once presumably only works if you scroll all the way down to select it first, while you can hold anywhere?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

sloppy portmanteau posted:

Pressing once presumably only works if you scroll all the way down to select it first, while you can hold anywhere?
Yeah that's exactly it

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

precision posted:

I spent most of the game yolo-ing down mountains at full speed wearing the all terrain legs and never once beefed it and dropped all my poo poo

All you do is hold both triggers and you never fall or stumble. That's it. No shifting weight, you just sprint while holding the triggers and nothing happens. Game journalists are why games are adding dribbling idiot easy difficulties.

sloppy portmanteau posted:

Literally all the inventory buttons are hold for all packages or press for just this one. You can instantly throw everything on your back, in a truck, etc.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
Ideally your feathering the shoulder buttons before the prompts while looking at the character and terrain for indications of when to do it for maximum speed. But yeah, completing the main story absolutely does not need even that level of play.

You can just hold the shoulder buttons forever.

Is there a way to push off the carriers when riding them? I'd like to ride down a slope from even ground but that doesn't seem to be possible.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Thundercracker posted:

Ideally your feathering the shoulder buttons before the prompts while looking at the character and terrain for indications of when to do it for maximum speed. But yeah, completing the main story absolutely does not need even that level of play.

You can just hold the shoulder buttons forever.

Is there a way to push off the carriers when riding them? I'd like to ride down a slope from even ground but that doesn't seem to be possible.
You can, its square I think? Maybe triangle? I always forget which button it is and jump off at least once. They aren't very good on flat land though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Hit square like it's a skateboard

Lanth
Jun 15, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

SpazmasterX posted:

Game journalists are why games are adding dribbling idiot easy difficulties.

Easier difficulties also allow disabled people to experience more games they would otherwise be excluded from, even though DS might not be the best example for that. Game journalists are their own separate issue.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
https://twitter.com/Konjuro/status/1200295258468126720

https://twitter.com/Konjuro/status/1200296082950873088

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

lol

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
I've done the latter with deep streams.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Absolutely agree with this. To avoid repeating what others have said,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7fK77uAyw8

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Man ice skate and skiing DLC when

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

beat this last night on a 12hr run through the end (which was amazing). The first 6 hrs or so i really was about to say gently caress it this game sucks.

The last Cliff jungle fight (ep 11?) loving sucked. I took him and all his guys our 3 times in a row perfectly fine then would get piled on and die the 4th time you have to do that poo poo. Bleh. . Other than that, loved every bit after the first 6 hrs. Fantastic game.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

I was able to redownload P.T. after playing this and now I'm sad, but this game was so great, just wonder what could have been.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Game is perfect

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
So far the only not perfect thing has been the VA for the prepper people were talking about a page or so ago and hoo boy is that ever bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Ruffian Price posted:

About the spoiler above
I got him the medicine and he only mentioned in an email about it it extending his time, and he still would die.