Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
pathetic, keep trying to stay relevant gently caress face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Oh and in case you don't follow the NY64 the first matchup is Cornette vs Russo.

https://twitter.com/NY64Tournament/status/1200097363601371142?s=19

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It definitely has to be sticking in Cornette's craw that all these guys (the guys he claimed are absolutely killing the wrestling business and that nobody really wants to watch) are getting great ratings on their major cable network TV show, while he just got booted off of his last gig on the YouTube studio wrestling homage show because he just couldn't stop himself from making tasteless racist "jokes" from the 1980s.

I really don't think Cornette would agree sub 1 million ratings are "great ratings" when that's a fraction of what his type of wrestling would draw on television. Memphis ratings were unbelievable

It doesn't matter how well AEW does, he will always be able to default back to "but it could be MORE if they did it like this," even though there are a multitude of reasons that wrestling can't and will not draw TV ratings that big ever again

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Low Desert Punk posted:

I really don't think Cornette would agree sub 1 million ratings are "great ratings" when that's a fraction of what his type of wrestling would draw on television. Memphis ratings were unbelievable

It doesn't matter how well AEW does, he will always be able to default back to "but it could be MORE if they did it like this," even though there are a multitude of reasons that wrestling can't and will not draw TV ratings that big ever again

Well you get great ratings when you’re the only entertainment in town. Cornette has never been a great draw in wider markets.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

MassRafTer posted:

Oh and in case you don't follow the NY64 the first matchup is Cornette vs Russo.

https://twitter.com/NY64Tournament/status/1200097363601371142?s=19

that is a thinker

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

being a racist shithead doesn't even come close to being the Worst in wwe

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

E: wrong thread

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

Low Desert Punk posted:

That's because he's stuck in the 1980s, where those type of ratings were still achievable because most people generally watched the show as it aired live.

We're talking about the present day, though, where viewing audiences are so fractured and viewing habits have changed so drastically, that a major cable network like TNT is beyond thrilled that a new show is drawing over 500,000 viewers on a Wednesday night.

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

I think it went over Jim's head that SP was not using Starvin' Marvin to make fun of the situation in Ethiopia.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
...but he admitted that he knew why...

...but how does that even...

I give up.

Also, FWIW, on this week's Drive Thru, among other things:

* He said that Britt Baker should be fired for the NXT thing...and also kind of sort of took responsibility for when TNA put one of the Highlanders on TV, complete with graphic showing his real name, when he tried to sit in the crowd incognito the weekend of the first Orlando WrestleMania. Yeah. I think that was new? And he also defended it. (Dude watching from the crowd was weird, but come on. And Britt clearly has the all clear from both sides.)
* He reiterated that he didn't watch Riho-Sakura and that it's ridiculous to have "outlaw Japanese girls wrestling" compared to what WWE offers since it only appeals to "anime fans."
* He reiterated that Ross Abrams was bad for going to Sinclair HR when Corny tried to bring in Adam Pearce, who had threatened to deck him the next time he saw him, as color commentator. Blah blah blah, how could the "merchandise weasel" have so much power over a nationally syndicated TV show? Even though Pearce had never done commentary before and Cornette only wanted him to have a bald tough guy wrestler type who was vaguely reminiscent of Joe Rogan.

There was a lot more, but it was long.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Low Desert Punk posted:

Huh? When did Memphis TV ever draw over a million viewers?
https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1199201687652782082
Better comparison would be WCW, really (AEW has been doing about half the viewership of the main WCW TBS shows 30 years ago, but that's not exact because we have homes and not viewers for the 1989 shows. It's using Meltzer's viewers per home data that brings AEW to about 600k-650k homes/week; the WCW shows were doing 1.1m-1.3m homes/week back in November 1989.)

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

It’s increasingly clear particularly with the joshi stuff that Cornette is just a catchphrase outrage machine at this point. Really sad to watch a guy who at one point was pretty smart and insightful devolve into this.

E: vvv lol, thank you. Phoneposting, y’all.

Pinstripe Hourglass fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Nov 29, 2019

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

It’s increasingly clear particularly with the Joshua stuff that Cornette is just a catchphrase outrage machine at this point. Really sad to watch a guy who at one point was pretty smart and insightful devolve into this.
Trying and failing to figure out if "Joshua" is an autocorrect for "joshi."

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Wait, so you people are telling me that in a time & city with no NFL team, no NBA team, no Major League Baseball team, no NHL team & no major race tracks that wrestling does good numbers?? That MUST mean the product is good!

dsriggs fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Nov 29, 2019

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I hope that anyone who encounters Cornette tells him to gently caress off. I know that we might have to respect our elders but man, gently caress his views.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
And surely people used to rush the ring and riot more often because they were more invested in the product, and not because they were drunk anger-prone hicks who took out their restless boredom on the only thing happening in town!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TV Zombie posted:

I hope that anyone who encounters Cornette tells him to gently caress off. I know that we might have to respect our elders but man, gently caress his views.

I figure just ignoring him will bother him more than engaging. He clearly thrives on attention of any kind

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

dsriggs posted:

Wait, so you people are telling me that in a time & city with no NFL team, no NBA team, no Major League Baseball team, no NHL team & no major race tracks that wrestling does good numbers?? That MUST mean the product is good!

And surely the fact that the product aired during a time on (I'm guessing) free over-the-air TV when cable wasn't as widespread, and the Internet was still in the realms of science fiction, is just purely incidental and had absolutely nothing to do with its success. :v:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

davidbix posted:

* He reiterated that he didn't watch Riho-Sakura and that it's ridiculous to have "outlaw Japanese girls wrestling" compared to what WWE offers since it only appeals to "anime fans."

I'm hardly one to defend anime or its fans but this is a dude that got so mad about a cartoon that he wrote letters to the network when they killed off a talking dog character.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'm hardly one to defend anime or its fans but this is a dude that got so mad about a cartoon that he wrote letters to the network when they killed off a talking dog character.

...he did what now?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

He loves Family Guy

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Of course he does. Of course he loves the worst show on TV.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

davidbix posted:

...but he admitted that he knew why...

...but how does that even...

I give up.

Also, FWIW, on this week's Drive Thru, among other things:

* He said that Britt Baker should be fired for the NXT thing...and also kind of sort of took responsibility for when TNA put one of the Highlanders on TV, complete with graphic showing his real name, when he tried to sit in the crowd incognito the weekend of the first Orlando WrestleMania. Yeah. I think that was new? And he also defended it. (Dude watching from the crowd was weird, but come on. And Britt clearly has the all clear from both sides.)
* He reiterated that Ross Abrams was bad for going to Sinclair HR when Corny tried to bring in Adam Pearce, who had threatened to deck him the next time he saw him, as color commentator. Blah blah blah, how could the "merchandise weasel" have so much power over a nationally syndicated TV show? Even though Pearce had never done commentary before and Cornette only wanted him to have a bald tough guy wrestler type who was vaguely reminiscent of Joe Rogan.

There was a lot more, but it was long.

I was about to tell you to stop giving his content the click but I guess you gotta pay attention to these things for a living, huh

I don't envy you that job

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Does he not know there are more anime fans than wrestling fans in the world? Like 10x over?

WWE women’s matches are worse than ROH ones because they intend for the match to look that way. At least with ROH you can argue that neglect is a major factor.

And ffs no one cares that Cornette and the ROH merch guy had a feud. Cornette will fight a mirror. The dude probably hosed up something minor and Cornette probably escalated it well beyond civil.

You’re trying to run a wrestling show, which already generates a zillion new variables a minute but you’ve got some fat rear end in a top hat screaming at everyone because they aren’t doing it the exact same way all his abusive surrogate fathers did it. So instead of doing the logical thing and ejecting his rear end, you soothe things over because that’s what you’ve been doing all day to make this show happen. Meanwhile you’ve got your stunt coordinator telling you the rappel rigging isn’t going to hold so you’ve gotta work through that. Cornette hears this and all calls the guy a “loving pussyfooted tassel toaster” you think because half the poo poo you’ve heard come out of his mouth is gibberish and it kind of amuses you because you’re also a terrible person. Anyway you approve the stunt and hope nothing goes over the edge tonight.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Wrestling and anime are like exactly the same

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Wrestling is less horny, and therefore, less good.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

flashy_mcflash posted:

What a mark.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Vandar posted:

...he did what now?
https://twitter.com/TheJimCornette/status/405356913535115264
https://twitter.com/TheJimCornette/status/405358259415949312
https://twitter.com/TheJimCornette/status/405358834354384896
https://twitter.com/TheJimCornette/status/405359439303045120
https://twitter.com/TheJimCornette/status/405361935010381825
https://twitter.com/TheJimCornette/status/405362896101601280
https://twitter.com/TheJimCornette/status/405363528149651456
https://twitter.com/TheJimCornette/status/405364802911891456
https://twitter.com/TheJimCornette/status/405365356337696770
https://twitter.com/TheJimCornette/status/409197568543842304

(Also: Good lord, that was SIX YEARS AGO?!?!?)

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Trying to imagine mustering the energy for even a single tweet about Brian's death let alone ten

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

yeah but wrestling is good

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Intruder posted:

Trying to imagine mustering the energy for even a single tweet about Brian's death let alone ten

Lmao this last page has been a great piece of Cornette lore I didn't know.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Low Desert Punk posted:

yeah but wrestling is good

So is anime.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
holy crap lois

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!
Cornette: Man, this is like that time I used a tasteless racist joke!

(flashback to last week's episode of NWA POWERRR)

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Malcolm Excellent posted:

AEW is trying to right this wrong.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Didn't Brian come back though? Television deaths never last long.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

TV Zombie posted:

Didn't Brian come back though? Television deaths never last long.
Yeah, and if I recall correctly, in a profound display of his ignorance, Cornette thought all the angry fans won and changed the creators minds when it happened like three episodes later. In a show that's animated.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Cornette: Man, this is like that time I used a tasteless racist joke!

(flashback to last week's episode of NWA POWERRR)

“This is like that time a company I ran turned a profit!”

(30 seconds of silence, the chicken comes in or whatever)

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Malcolm Excellent posted:

wrestling may be the only thing more horny than anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
so besides cornette saying he wants trump to bomb both north and south korea "because they eat dogs", continuing the racism against the japanese women on aew, and further insinuating kenny is sleeping with all the women, while he and brian admit to not watching half the show

he thinks TNT will cancel them by april 2020 if they don't get another half or full point in the ratings. this is a man who worked for TNA. he's completely delusional and out of touch and has no loving idea how anything works anymore. also basically said he doesn't like meltzer anymore presumably because dave actually understands how the business works nowadays and has probably tried to reason with him, so we'll see if dave continues defending him

sorry to bump this thread but it might be the last time because i've about hit my limit