Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Mat Cauthon posted:

Couple of shots in here that match up with the leaks, which doesn't bode well for the finished product.

Also they really waste Oscar Isaac in these flicks.

The best part is watching more and more people go 'Oh, God, the leaks are real.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Mat Cauthon posted:

Couple of shots in here that match up with the leaks, which doesn't bode well for the finished product.

Also they really waste Oscar Isaac in these flicks.

This is something I noticed on a rewatch. He has more presence and character in Annihilation than he does in Star Wars and he’s on screen for like 4 minutes

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Weird that he's loving princess Leia's mom in that one

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It’s an issue of literacy. The film is so bizarre as a result of all the edits and reshoots that, when asked what the theme is, fans just start quoting random characters. I don’t know what’s going on, but surely Kylo does. It’s about ‘letting the past die and killing it if you have to’, right?

No, the moral - the preferred reading - is to not let the past die.

Luke was already letting the past die by keeping the books a secret from the rest of the universe: “I came here to die.” The burning of the dead tree represents the dead past coming back to life, to influence the present.

Poe learns to trust Leia instead of doing his own thing. FN learns to be a Rebel instead of doing his own thing. Ren tries to do his own thing, so he goes crazy-stupid and poops himself & everyone laughs at him.

In the end, they have “everything they need”:

-Millenium Falcon
-Lightsaber
-Chewbacca
-C3PO
-R2-D2
-Rebels
-Jedi
-Luke Skywalker
-Princess Leia

That’s the moral. It’s a big, sloppy tribute to the Star Wars franchise.

This is exactly why I said in the non-spoiler thread that the entire reasoning behind The Last Jedi is "make it more Star Wars". It's clearly intended to be mindless ticket bait, and it's not worth taking seriously. Best thing to do is treat it like a cheesy Friday night popcorn movie, which it's pretty good at being.

FlamingLiberal posted:

This snippet from an interview with Abrams definitely doesn't bode well for TRoS

Clearly based on what he says there, it didn't matter to his plans that Snoke got killed off which to me just makes that character even more of a waste of time

This entire new trilogy feels like a gamemaster making poo poo up out of whole cloth for their RPG campaign. I mean, it works for your D&D sessions, but for a movie...?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 29, 2019

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Pollyanna posted:

This entire new trilogy feels like a gamemaster making poo poo up out of whole cloth for their RPG campaign. I mean, it works for your D&D sessions, but for a movie...?

At least a DM would have the main characters in a room together more than once.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That spoiler slide deck seems like the boring kind of awful. I really hope that they end this series with a hell of a bang. Order 69 or riot.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

weekly font posted:

This is something I noticed on a rewatch. He has more presence and character in Annihilation than he does in Star Wars and he’s on screen for like 4 minutes

He's great in the first ~10 minutes of TFA and then it's all downhill from there. Extremely unfortunate.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

I just can't get enough of the millennium falcon flying through enclosed spaces!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

SolarFire2 posted:

I just can't get enough of the millennium falcon flying through enclosed spaces!

Hopefully, TROS features a scene where the Falcon is just spinning in circles inside of a hanger for about 12 1/2 minutes.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

SolarFire2 posted:

This Dual of Fates redo sounds so much like the pounding operating chorus in the BvS score.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

weekly font posted:

I wonder if they were directed to deliver the lines in a stilted way that sounded like high school drama to get across the artificiality of the space opera world.

We know this to be the case, because Lucas refers to the characters’ weird speech patterns as “diplodialect” in the Episode 2 screenplay.

Diplodialect is basically the specific (fictional) dialect of English spoken by white people on Coruscant.

The unambiguous joke is that everyone in space “speaks weird”, but only Jar Jar gets poo poo for it due to racism. Lucas is fully capable of writing naturalistic dialogue, but wanted to make a point about language with this sci-fi dialect.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

New tv spot looks great, duel of fates remix is dope, Hope a version is in the film. Hope Sheeve actually pops back up

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

We know this to be the case, because Lucas refers to the characters’ weird speech patterns as “diplodialect” in the Episode 2 screenplay.

Diplodialect is basically the specific (fictional) dialect of English spoken by white people on Coruscant.

This is a super cool thing I had no idea about.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Friends, if you truly enjoy the OT, then you don't really care about bad acting or ridiculous SFX or whatever. Focus on on what the PT is saying about us and our society. Reflect on your politics and you'll know why you like or dislike the prequels; there would be more dignity in that then pretending to be confused or regurgitating rlm memes.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Blood Boils posted:

Friends, if you truly enjoy the OT, then you don't really care about bad acting or ridiculous SFX or whatever. Focus on on what the PT is saying about us and our society. Reflect on your politics and you'll know why you like or dislike the prequels; there would be more dignity in that then pretending to be confused or regurgitating rlm memes.

its true

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

weekly font posted:

At least a DM would have the main characters in a room together more than once.

Nah, the DM would try but the players would keep getting dumb ideas and splitting the party, so TLJ still fits the formula

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Blood Boils posted:

This is loving rediculous. I can agree with and understand the prequels politics and still think theyre bad movies.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

AccountSupervisor posted:

This is loving rediculous. I can agree with and understand the prequels politics and still think theyre bad movies.

Being wrong is a basic human right, yes.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

sassassin posted:

Being wrong is a basic human right, yes.

Ah yes, I forgot art and the enjoyment of it was an objective experience. Please forgive me.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ah yes, I forgot art and the enjoyment of it was an objective experience. Please forgive me.

This is such a cowardly response to someone disagreeing with you. You're trying to avoid a charge of idiocy on a technicality.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Blood Boils posted:

Right--the prequels aren't nearly Leftist enough.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

sassassin posted:

This is such a cowardly response to someone disagreeing with you. You're trying to avoid a charge of idiocy on a technicality.

Yes because a one sentence snarky comment is courageous.

I do not enjoy watching the prequels. I just watched all of 3 of them. I did not enjoy the experience. I respect and understand the politics and find them interesting but that does not mean I therefore must enjoy the experience of watching the films.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Pollyanna posted:

Oscar Issac: I try to blow up the ultra mega death star with my x-wing!

GM: whoa there... This is, like, 100 death stars... And the story has just started! Are you sure -

*Oscar rolls a natural 20 and everyone at the table starts hooting and hollering*

GM: ok haha! Let's do this I guess

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

sassassin posted:

"Bench press was, is and will never be a great chest builder." Hold up. You're blowing my mind here, you telling me bench press sucks for chest? You need to elaborate on this.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

McCloud posted:

"Bench press was, is and will never be a great chest builder." Hold up. You're blowing my mind here, you telling me bench press sucks for chest? You need to elaborate on this.

bench press is a good chest builder, but alien titty milk is a GREAT chest builder

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Nope, sorry that's not allowed

of course we can. But then we gotta say what's bad about the movies beyond our private emotional responses. And I'm reacting to the constant complaints that should apply equally (if not more so) to the OT, and yet obviously never are

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Found Creepio at Target tonight.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is...is Chewie dead?

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Is...is Chewie dead?

It sounds like you’re meant to think he’s dead at one point but it’s a fakeout. Would be pretty funny If they actually dropped a moon on him though

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

All in for Boolio

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

CharlestonJew posted:

bench press is a good chest builder, but alien titty milk is a GREAT chest builder

So you're saying I need to start juicing on dem alien titty milk

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Blood Boils posted:

Nope, sorry that's not allowed

of course we can. But then we gotta say what's bad about the movies beyond our private emotional responses. And I'm reacting to the constant complaints that should apply equally (if not more so) to the OT, and yet obviously never are

Oh totally. Im on my marathon right now and theres is some really stilted acting and clunky dialogue in parts of the OT. That said, for me I think its fairly minimal compared to the PT and the good far far outweighs the bad. My dislike for the PT comes mostly from a formal perspective and they mostly frustrate because I really like a lot of what is going on underneath the surface and the mechanizations of how they designed the fall of the Republic and the rise of the Empire. I just am not into the way that story is presented. I haven't watched all 3 in a long time and after reading the many many opinions and thematic evaluations here I was hyper focused on those things. I just think a lot of lovely filmmaking and gets in the way.

I think one of the most surprising things that came out of this rewatch PT for me was that I enjoyed Attack of the Clones the most out of all 3. Its a fun space romp with some killer set pieces and I found the Camino mystery/Geonosis/Dooku plot a lot more engaging and fun to follow then the absolute boring slog TPM is and the kind of surprisingly rote and unimaginative fall of Anakin/The Republic plotting of RotS.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

McCloud posted:

Do cable flies and other fly variations if you want big juicy muscular titties.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlb0aUZKQpk

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Why is it called Rise of the Skywalker when there are no Skywalkers left?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Pollyanna posted:

there is another

half skywalker

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Rey allegedly takes the surname in the final scene to carry on the Skywalker legacy of failure and hubris.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Mandrel posted:

is this from the books of something

Nope. Finn explains the part about being a kidnapped child. Maybe the Unknown Regions stuff is really only spelled out in Resistance, but I could swear it's mentioned in TFA.

This is just forums poster Cnut’s misreading of events , repeated verbatim. And that path ended with him being driven mad like a Lovecraft protagonist. I suggest stepping back from it.

There is no ‘inconsistency’ with regards to C3PO. He was a person, and then he was killed.

Nope. The morality around droids is terribly inconsistent. And it's arguable about whether or not he is "killed". He still exists afterwards. He's still the same exact person. On the other hand, what is consistent is that Palpatine manipulates the Republic into its crisis.

porfiria posted:

Right--the prequels aren't nearly Leftist enough.

This guy gets it.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Gonz posted:

Hopefully, TROS features a scene where the Falcon is just spinning in circles inside of a hanger for about 12 1/2 minutes.

We need to get a flashback to Poe going to speeder sideshows on Coruscant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au5L75IQJ-k&t=234s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gonz posted:

Rey allegedly takes the surname in the final scene to carry on the Skywalker legacy of failure and hubris.

That's if that one PDF is accurate. Does this new spot confirm anything else?