Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I'm just curious, what are goonland's thoughts on these?

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/masterbuilt-smoke-hollow-30-digital-electric-smoker-19msbusmkhllw30smcfp/19msbusmkhllw30smcfp

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/masterbuilt-slow-smoker-18msbuslwsmkrxxxxcfp/18msbuslwsmkrxxxxcfp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

knox_harrington posted:

Apparently they only deliver to the roadside

130kg. gently caress

Yeah, have fun. My Costco knockoff weighed about that in the back of our SUV. You'll have more cardboard than you know what to do with. And a bad back.

edit: and wtf, you take one wrong step and you'll be on the 6 o'clock news.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 29, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Heh, interesting. I honestly don't see an issue with it. MES comes up with some ingenious solutions. They probably spotted people attaching a mailbox to cold smoke and thought there was a market for it.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

nwin posted:

Thanks dick

You're welcome! I super get the indecision around buying a smoker because it's a big, single purpose appliance. But listen, plenty of people have recommended the MES 30 and 40 and it seems like that's how you're learning so pick one, buy it, and try it out! The difference between heating elements, Bluetooth, and whether there's a window in the door are so unimportant that you're just coming off as "goon in the well" rather than wanting to be well informed.

Please, trust the thread. You can spend your entire life trying to figure out which one is perfect or you can buy one, get smoking, and enjoy the whole point of the hobby in the first place!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Blinkz0rz posted:

You're welcome! I super get the indecision around buying a smoker because it's a big, single purpose appliance. But listen, plenty of people have recommended the MES 30 and 40 and it seems like that's how you're learning so pick one, buy it, and try it out! The difference between heating elements, Bluetooth, and whether there's a window in the door are so unimportant that you're just coming off as "goon in the well" rather than wanting to be well informed.

Please, trust the thread. You can spend your entire life trying to figure out which one is perfect or you can buy one, get smoking, and enjoy the whole point of the hobby in the first place!

Yep I hear ya. I couldn’t care less about Bluetooth or a viewing window, but when I couldn’t get the original MES I wanted for the price, I figured I’d ask about the pellet smoker since everyone seems to think those are the second coming of christ. Especially since it wasn’t *that* much more.

However, I ended up going with the $229 MES 40” from amazon and bought an AMNPS to go with it. I figure for $200 it’s not a huge investment and I can always upgrade if needed. If I spent $350+ on a pellet smoker, then I’d have that and my Weber grill right next to each other and I’d be out even more money if I didn’t use it.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Hell yeah dude! Use it in good health and don't forget to post pics of your smokes.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Colostomy Bag posted:

Heh, interesting. I honestly don't see an issue with it. MES comes up with some ingenious solutions. They probably spotted people attaching a mailbox to cold smoke and thought there was a market for it.

What about the smoker itself (first link) - any good or not so much?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Internet Explorer posted:

I know there was some talk of turkey and electric smokers and skin crispiness. So these were in the MES 30 for 2 hours at 275. To me this seems crispy enough. I'll probably throw them in the over for another hour or so at 350, but really only to see what I've been missing out on.

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

Smoked this turkey in my MES 30. Around 9 hours total. Used the beer can chicken method, using a large can of Fosters beer up the rear end of the turkey, poured halfway out. Rubbed herbed butter under the skin. Cranked up the temperature to the max for the last hour. This resulted in nice crispy skin all over the bird. Pulled at internal temp of 175. Used the amazen pellet smoker as well.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

First smoked turkey turned out amazing. Brined it yesterday and smoked it for 4-5 hours today.

One of my kids said it was the best thanksgiving ever.

Even my 8mo old twins got in on the action:

How are y’all getting this beautiful golden brown color on your birds? Mine came out blackened on the outside, probably because I covered it in rub and smoked it using charcoal. The meat was motherfucking spectacular though, so I’m not complaining. :toot:

Still, my turkeys always come out like a dark mahogany color when I smoke them, and I’ve always wondered if there’s a way to liven up that color a bit.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah, have fun. My Costco knockoff weighed about that in the back of our SUV. You'll have more cardboard than you know what to do with. And a bad back.

edit: and wtf, you take one wrong step and you'll be on the 6 o'clock news.

It was unreal how much cardboard came with my Traeger. I think it took me longer to cut it all up and toss than it did to assemble the smoker.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So now that I've decided on an MES and a AMNPS, what else do you all recommend I get?

I bought this Inkbird 6-probe thermometer because they were doing a 50% off sale, so it cost $30: https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Wire...129&sr=8-5&th=1

I tested it out and all the probes seem to be within 1-2 degrees of one another and the bluetooth doesn't lose connection within my house, so that seems good. Admittedly, I find it hard to believe I would ever use more than 3-4 probes at most, but since this was so much cheaper than a FireBoard or something by Thermoworks, I figured it was worth a shot unless someone says otherwise with another recommendation.

For pellets, Dick's is having a 25% off + free shipping sale, so I'm thinking I should get some kind of pellets from there. Either a competition blend or a bag of hickory and cherry to cover a range of meats.

What else? Is a meat injector worth it or would another thermometer be good than what I listed? I like the fireboard because it would be nice to track the temperature over time and have records of it, but the inkbird app appears to supply a graph as well- I just don't think it will upload any cooks or allow me to save the graph to view later.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

nwin posted:

So now that I've decided on an MES and a AMNPS, what else do you all recommend I get?

I bought this Inkbird 6-probe thermometer because they were doing a 50% off sale, so it cost $30: https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Wire...129&sr=8-5&th=1

I tested it out and all the probes seem to be within 1-2 degrees of one another and the bluetooth doesn't lose connection within my house, so that seems good. Admittedly, I find it hard to believe I would ever use more than 3-4 probes at most, but since this was so much cheaper than a FireBoard or something by Thermoworks, I figured it was worth a shot unless someone says otherwise with another recommendation.

For pellets, Dick's is having a 25% off + free shipping sale, so I'm thinking I should get some kind of pellets from there. Either a competition blend or a bag of hickory and cherry to cover a range of meats.

What else? Is a meat injector worth it or would another thermometer be good than what I listed? I like the fireboard because it would be nice to track the temperature over time and have records of it, but the inkbird app appears to supply a graph as well- I just don't think it will upload any cooks or allow me to save the graph to view later.

I'm trying to be kind, but you are overthinking everything. We all have different strokes on how we do it. And that is part of the hobby. Get a thermapen and a decent remote thermometer such as Thermoworks for example. Mostly about temps. A probe will sometime poo poo the bed. We've all been there.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'm trying to be kind, but you are overthinking everything. We all have different strokes on how we do it. And that is part of the hobby. Get a thermapen and a decent remote thermometer such as Thermoworks for example. Mostly about temps. A probe will sometime poo poo the bed. We've all been there.

Alright cool-I already have a thermopen and a Dot. Maybe that’s all I need for now.

Like any hobby this poo poo is way too easy to sperg over.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

Smoked this turkey in my MES 30. Around 9 hours total. Used the beer can chicken method, using a large can of Fosters beer up the rear end of the turkey, poured halfway out. Rubbed herbed butter under the skin. Cranked up the temperature to the max for the last hour. This resulted in nice crispy skin all over the bird. Pulled at internal temp of 175. Used the amazen pellet smoker as well.

I bought a "beer can stand" thing from Amazon for my Turkey cooking in the MES. It works better and cuts down time as it holds the bird up and allows air to flow through the cavity.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006TMR7TA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got it in 2016 so there may be better ones now but I have used it for a 22lb turkey in my MES and it held it up pretty well. I think the 22lb'er I might have used something for a little support but I cant remember as that was a couple years ago.

nwin posted:

Alright cool-I already have a thermopen and a Dot. Maybe that’s all I need for now.

Like any hobby this poo poo is way too easy to sperg over.

Right now all you need to do is buy a lot of meat. Start smoking and you will figure out all the little things you really need. Start with a few Pork Butts. Even if you gently caress them up they turn out ok unless maybe if you leave it in there for 4 days straight.

Most things you buy will be for convenience not necessity.

Trastion fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 29, 2019

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Trastion posted:

I bought a "beer can stand" thing from Amazon for my Turkey cooking in the MES. It works better and cuts down time as it holds the bird up and allows air to flow through the cavity.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006TMR7TA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got it in 2016 so there may be better ones now but I have used it for a 22lb turkey in my MES and it held it up pretty well. I think the 22lb'er I might have used something for a little support but I cant remember as that was a couple years ago.

Right now all you need to do is buy a lot of meat. Start smoking and you will figure out all the little things you really need. Start with a few Pork Butts. Even if you gently caress them up they turn out ok unless maybe if you leave it in there for 4 days straight.

Most things you buy will be for convenience not necessity.

What are the most forgiving ribs? I was thinking of buying some baby back ribs.

Edit: St. Louis I guess? I was hoping baby back since they are on sale right now. Pulled pork seems like a really long cook but the most forgiving so maybe after I season the smoker I’ll do that on a Saturday or something.

nwin fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 30, 2019

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
St Louis are more forgiving, yeah. They both are the same basic process, but baby backs have a shorter cook time and a shorter window for "perfect"

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

McSpankWich posted:

St Louis are more forgiving, yeah. They both are the same basic process, but baby backs have a shorter cook time and a shorter window for "perfect"

Yeah I think I was just hoping for something that had a relatively short cook time to start out with in case it didn’t live up to expectations the first time around. But if I have a 50% chance of getting ribs right over 5 hours, I guess pulled pork is worth the 10+ hours for a 90% chance of getting it right?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

nwin posted:

Yeah I think I was just hoping for something that had a relatively short cook time to start out with in case it didn’t live up to expectations the first time around. But if I have a 50% chance of getting ribs right over 5 hours, I guess pulled pork is worth the 10+ hours for a 90% chance of getting it right?

If I'm reading the thread right you're getting a Masterbuilt? Your chances of "getting it right" are higher than 50%, a lot higher. Pork shoulder is super forgiving, but with something that maintains a constant temp like an MES ribs are pretty much just a matter of having a working timer and knowing how to check for when they're done. The last part is a little bit of an art, but if you mess it up you're talking about "near perfect", not "ruined".

One other thing about pork is that the timing can be fairly unpredictable, so although you're unlikely to end up with something unedible, you might plan dinner for 6pm and have meat ready at 2pm or 9pm.

St. Louis (trimmed spare ribs) should be pretty cheap. I typically pay less than $2.50/lb. Look around your area for businesses that might sell to restaurants as they tend to have the best prices for ribs.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Did my first smoke today on my MES with chicken wings.

They were good but I think I used way too much rub, so much that we were scraping it off at the end because it was so overpowering.

Here’s the recipe : https://www.dontsweattherecipe.com/amazing-smoked-chicken-wings/

I followed it except I used half the amount of smoked paprika. I also used cherry wood chips instead of pecan.

225 for 2 hours, with smoke going the whole time, and then 5 minutes at 475 in the oven to finish.

I should have done a few without rub just to see how the smoke worked on them.

Advice/pointers for next time? I think I would go way easier on the rub, but not sure what else I would change. Tomorrow I’m going to do chicken thighs-any advice? Not sure if I should do boneless or bone-in.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Wow yeah that's a crapton of rub, how did you even get that much to stay in them while you were moving them? Was it like battered or something?

Just rub so it sticks and shake off the excess that's pretty much it.

Edit: how did your uncooked chicken compare to the pictures on the website?

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 8, 2019

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
The smoked paprika seems pointless. You're going to smoke them anyways. Try plain paprika next time. Cherry wood is fine for wings.

And yeah, a lot less rub next time. I prefer bone-in thighs.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

McSpankWich posted:

Wow yeah that's a crapton of rub, how did you even get that much to stay in them while you were moving them? Was it like battered or something?

Just rub so it sticks and shake off the excess that's pretty much it.

Edit: how did your uncooked chicken compare to the pictures on the website?

Holy poo poo I didn’t even see the uncooked pictures on the website until now-mine were wayyyyyy the gently caress more coated than those.

I used olive oil just like they did-not sure why mine stuck to the wings so much.

Ok-tomorrow is bone in thighs-going to do way way less of a rub and see how those go. The smoked paprika didn’t make sense to me either but I figured I might as well keep with what the recipe said.

Looking at this recipe: https://www.smokegrillbbq.com/smoked-chicken-thighs.html but :lol: at 2 tbsp cayenne...that seems like way too much.

nwin fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 8, 2019

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
That's a stupid amount of cayenne. That's 1 tsp per thigh!

I use something like this for putting on my rub. It works really well.

https://www.amazon.com/Tablecraft-Silver-Stainless-10-Ounce-BBQ160H/dp/B01MRER2G5/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 8, 2019

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

I just have a mason jar I store my rub in. One standard lid and one lid with a bunch of holes poked in it. When I'm done shaking on I put the standard lid back on.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Canuckistan posted:

That's a stupid amount of cayenne. That's 1 tsp per thigh!

I use something like this for putting on my rub. It works really well.

https://www.amazon.com/Tablecraft-Silver-Stainless-10-Ounce-BBQ160H/dp/B01MRER2G5/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

Huh...so maybe I took the word “rub” a bit too literally? I didn’t shake the seasoning on top of the meat, I rubbed it into it.

Do you just season it like you would standard salt and pepper?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I was hunting for Black Friday deals on smokers and I ended up looking around masterbuilt.com, where I found they have an outlet. Ended up ordering myself the portable electric (cert. refurb) along with a box of wood chips and a carrying bag, all for $65. Everything arrived today and I put it together and did the initial pre-season.

Can't wait to start using it! I typically go to my parents' for dinner on Sundays, so I might surprise them with some smoked meats. How long for say a dozen large drumsticks?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

nwin posted:

Do you just season it like you would standard salt and pepper?

Yeah, that's the idea.

I'd suggest doing some reading on amazingribs.com and/or checking out some of the BBQ youtube channels to continue to learn some of the basics and get some great recipe ideas. I've never been done wrong by Meathead's stuff on amazing ribs (even if the site is a little weird), and I can't help but love the How to BBQ Right Youtube channel (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UC--MxpGXJ3LVD8KvlNzRlcA). I would totally eat Malcom Reed's meat.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Seconding amazingribs.com, I learned so much from that site I didn't even know I needed to know.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I need to look at amazingribs again. I tried looking at it the other week and I dunno if it’s because how the site is laid out or something else but it was just way too much to take in.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

nwin posted:

I need to look at amazingribs again. I tried looking at it the other week and I dunno if it’s because how the site is laid out or something else but it was just way too much to take in.

I can see that. Stick to the basics, his rubs, a recipe or two, tips on your specific rig and then branch out from there. HIs stuff is really rock solid when you're first starting out.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Did some chicken thighs-they turned out way better. Much less rub was used on them, but I think I’m using a little too much smoke because it’s almost overwhelming. Reading up on it says I should start by using less smoke than needed because it can overpower so easily.

In my MES for about 2 hours of smoke, I filled the hopper with kingsford cherry wood chips three times-I think once or maybe twice would have been enough.

I still brought them inside and finished in the oven since they were cooking slower than I thought they would, and dinner needed to be on the table.

This morning my house still smelled of smoke. Do you guys think it’s because I’m bringing them in and finishing in the oven, or just from the leftover chicken in the refrigerator (covered in Tupperware), the smoke coming in the house when I go outside to check the cooler (doubtful since I close the door when I go outside and the smoker is ten feet away from the door, but I have lovely windows so who knows), or something else?

I’m guessing it’s because I’m finishing them in my oven-last night they were in at 375 for about 20 minutes, so maybe all that smoke flavor was being cooked off in the oven? I need to do something about that-while I like the smell while I’m cooking-not so much the morning after.

I think next steps are to use a little less rub and a lot less smoke and see what that improves.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

The general rule for the MES is 1 chip load per hour or so with diminishing returns after 2-3 hours iirc.

For poultry you should smoke hotter, somewhere around 275-350. Running at temps will cause the skin to get very rubbery as the fat and collagen melt and thicken and it'll be very unpleasant.

I made that mistake the first time I smoked chicken wings. I ran them at 225 until they hit 170 and they were inedible.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Blinkz0rz posted:

The general rule for the MES is 1 chip load per hour or so with diminishing returns after 2-3 hours iirc.

For poultry you should smoke hotter, somewhere around 275-350. Running at temps will cause the skin to get very rubbery as the fat and collagen melt and thicken and it'll be very unpleasant.

I made that mistake the first time I smoked chicken wings. I ran them at 225 until they hit 170 and they were inedible.

Ok way too much smoke-I thought I read in the manual every 30 minutes but I might have been mistaken.

The MES only goes up to 275-maybe it will go a little hotter in the summer but not right now. I did the wings at 275 and then finished in the oven. The thighs were skinless so no issue there.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

I did a turkey on Saturday, 325 -375 for like 2.5 hours-ish. 1 cherry chunk and 1 handful of apple chips a little later on. If anything I should have left out the chips completely, it wasn't TOO smokey, but just on the border. Poutry is really absorbs the flavor much more than beef and pork. Came out awesome though.

edit: I have a WSM

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

You don't want super-white billowing smoke. I think that is what your main issue is.

Sounds sort of crazy, but what you want is for it to look blue. It will be faint whisps. Once dialed in it is smoking nirvana.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Colostomy Bag posted:

You don't want super-white billowing smoke. I think that is what your main issue is.

Sounds sort of crazy, but what you want is for it to look blue. It will be faint whisps. Once dialed in it is smoking nirvana.

Yep that’s what I had...I read about blue smoke but it was so windy I don’t know if I’d be able to tell if I ever got that.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
Is there a consensus on Pit Boss branded pellets? A local hardware store started stocking them recently and I grabbed a bag of their competition blend to test. I've been using the Traeger pellets, but they've increased in price.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Fall Dog posted:

Is there a consensus on Pit Boss branded pellets? A local hardware store started stocking them recently and I grabbed a bag of their competition blend to test. I've been using the Traeger pellets, but they've increased in price.

That's all I've used and haven't had any issues. Lowe's has 40lb bags of a couple of different blends for $15 each, so it's really hard to pass up.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

That's all I've used and haven't had any issues. Lowe's has 40lb bags of a couple of different blends for $15 each, so it's really hard to pass up.

Jeez, I don't think the prices here will ever get that good for pellets. A 20lb bag is $30 in moon currency. That seems to be about the norm at the moment, at least until meat smokers become more popular

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
My local Winco has the Lil Devils pellets in a 20lb bag for less than $5. They are decent for all-around purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
When the grocery store has pork shoulder on sale for 99c/lb, you smoke some butts

Did a mix of Meat Church AP and Hot Honey Hog rubs the night before, smoked them on my Kettle with a pecan (I think?) and they finished up pretty quickly with a foil wrap around 160 degrees. Really nice smoke flavor, most of it went into the freezer for later. Not a bad work from home day!