Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
The only thing Sycamore hears/sees from Lysandre is his desire for "a more beautiful world". Diantha has less of an excuse for not seeing past the facade when he starts getting mad about the linear progression of time.

Lysandre isn't that unsubtle except for looking like a video game antagonist, honestly. The problem is more that his motivations and actions are incoherent and the entire game has absolutely dreadful writing chops that can't carry that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Blaziken386 posted:

having the goal of ":10bux: :10bux: :10bux:" just isn't that interesting to me, IMO. I will say that I liked Giovanni being the 8th gym leader though, that was a nice touch.
I feel like you gotta rate Rocket relative to the fact that they were first. These guys are just are pokemon criminals. That's gimmick enough in the first game- most people are having fun with kid friendly cockfights, and these guys are like stealing poo poo and taking over cities. That's their gimmick and it's pretty solid in its own context.

Blaziken386 posted:

He surprised me by having pokemon in the upper 60s to 70s range, if I hadn't swapped in zacian for story reasons, I might've actually lost. It was a good final battle!
I feel like Sword might have an easier final battle than Shield in that case. I switched to Zamazenta, also for story reasons, and Zacian two shot it. It was faster than the rest of my team and one shot everything else.

It was a pretty good final battle, if a bit bullshit. I still have a fair bit of trouble with Hop when he shows up in my money grinding tournaments.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

GoodBee posted:

I'm SW-1132-5401-4257. I want some friends too. Especially friends who are going to play Animal Crossing later.

Yeah yeah, me too: SW-0933-6988-8573

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Team Aqua/Magma are perfect and you can take them and their extreme Saturday Morning Cartoon energy from my cold, dead hands.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

seiferguy posted:

I've gotten lucky with a few being the only one but I've been getting poo poo AI partners like the Eevee girl who only uses helping hand, it sucks :(

The job of the ai is to burn through the shield so you can deal the real damage.

Only if the gigamax Pokemon can hit everyone at once or minimize will there will be a real problem.

edit: or Gardevoir and their three-attacks-in-a-row gimmick.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 30, 2019

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Cattail Prophet posted:

Team Aqua/Magma are perfect and you can take them and their extreme Saturday Morning Cartoon energy from my cold, dead hands.
oh yeah they're still fun, don't get me wrong. I might've ranked them lower but they're enjoyably stupid - aside from Team Flare, none of the goodsquads are bad. The fact that you see them lining up to pay to go into the museum before their attempted heist is peak :allears:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

The job of the ai is to burn through the shield so you can deal the real damage.

Only if the gigamax Pokemon can hit everyone at once or minimize will there will be a real problem.

All I ask for is 3 NPCs who will reliably use quick attack or w/e to take down the barrier so I can actually do damage instead of wasting it, but no, we get Solrock

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Eiba posted:

I feel like you gotta rate Rocket relative to the fact that they were first. These guys are just are pokemon criminals. That's gimmick enough in the first game- most people are having fun with kid friendly cockfights, and these guys are like stealing poo poo and taking over cities. That's their gimmick and it's pretty solid in its own context.

I feel like Sword might have an easier final battle than Shield in that case. I switched to Zamazenta, also for story reasons, and Zacian two shot it. It was faster than the rest of my team and one shot everything else.

It was a pretty good final battle, if a bit bullshit. I still have a fair bit of trouble with Hop when he shows up in my money grinding tournaments.

Yeah Zacian styles all over Zamazenta. I don't know what moves Zamazenta starts with beyond Behemoth Bash, but Sacred Sword alone just destroys the poor shield dog. What's that you raised your defense by coming in? And you're steel/fighting? Too bad I have a fighting move that ignores defense boosts and I'm faster than you. Zamazenta would need MORE hp and some fire or ground move to even the scales.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

gently caress the Gardevoir raid. Bunch of attacks, huge shield, spams an AOE attack, and because the typing gets super-effectives against what feels like 2/3s of the AI mons.

Edit: that raid took me like 2 whole days. Lvl 96 eternatus couldn't do it. Lvl 70ish Zacian couldn't do it. High 60s leveled Steelix with really great stats couldn't. Same with Skuntank. Just a loving bear of a raid. I was considering leveling up a light screen user, but ran out of candies.

alpha_destroy fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 30, 2019

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Blaziken386 posted:

oh yeah they're still fun, don't get me wrong. I might've ranked them lower but they're enjoyably stupid - aside from Team Flare, none of the goodsquads are bad. The fact that you see them lining up to pay to go into the museum before their attempted heist is peak :allears:

All I ask for is 3 NPCs who will reliably use quick attack or w/e to take down the barrier so I can actually do damage instead of wasting it, but no, we get Solrock

The double shield breaking effect of your own gigamax attacks is good too, once you bust through and their defense drops you will be able to win even if you're back to normal size.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Eimi posted:

Yeah Zacian styles all over Zamazenta. I don't know what moves Zamazenta starts with beyond Behemoth Bash, but Sacred Sword alone just destroys the poor shield dog. What's that you raised your defense by coming in? And you're steel/fighting? Too bad I have a fighting move that ignores defense boosts and I'm faster than you. Zamazenta would need MORE hp and some fire or ground move to even the scales.

I forget about Sacred Sword’s effect because it almost never comes up but that’s hilarious. Poor shield pup never stood a chance. :smith:

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
This artist has been updating this image with the new starters for the past 3 generations and it owns

https://twitter.com/Quirkiliciouss/status/1200135939705593857

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

ROFL Octopus posted:

I forget about Sacred Sword’s effect because it almost never comes up but that’s hilarious. Poor shield pup never stood a chance. :smith:

Suddenly Zacian being the elder sister makes a lot of sense.

And anyone with an older sister will certainly agree with me.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Oh gently caress! I didn't know gigantamax mons could break out of pokeballs. gently caress that. Thanks for training me to think any ball would work at the end if a raid game freak

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

alpha_destroy posted:

Oh gently caress! I didn't know gigantamax mons could break out of pokeballs. gently caress that. Thanks for training me to think any ball would work at the end if a raid game freak

Well any ball works in that they don't offer extra bonuses.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The thing where shinies have a higher chance of showing up if you defeat 500 of the same one, does that only affect wild Pokemon or can it affect eggs too

edit: Also related to egg hatching, what's the thing I need to make it so the nature of the parent goes to the child? I want to breed a better Toxtricity, but I only want the Amped version like I have now

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Macaluso posted:

The thing where shinies have a higher chance of showing up if you defeat 500 of the same one, does that only affect wild Pokemon or can it affect eggs too

edit: Also related to egg hatching, what's the thing I need to make it so the nature of the parent goes to the child? I want to breed a better Toxtricity, but I only want the Amped version like I have now

Everstone

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Finally beat the game so now for the important stuff: talking about how Nessa and Sonia are girlfriends.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Shneak posted:

Finally beat the game so now for the important stuff: talking about how Nessa and Sonia are girlfriends.

:hmmyes:

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Shneak posted:

They used to date, but have just been friends for a while now. Sonia was thinking about asking out her assistant, which just made the betrayal hurt that much more.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Today I learned the the counter for how many times you've killed a single pokemon caps out at 999.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

lezard_valeth posted:

This artist has been updating this image with the new starters for the past 3 generations and it owns

https://twitter.com/Quirkiliciouss/status/1200135939705593857

Oh nice, I got this set of prints back in Gen 5. Nice to see they’ve been updated!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Oh my god Clefable raids are a nightmare. Who thought giving Minimize to a raid boss was a good idea?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
"What if legendary Pokemon gave you only 1 attempt period at catching them" was not a question I ever needed an answer to, but thanks for answering that Game Freak.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Shneak posted:

Finally beat the game so now for the important stuff: talking about how Nessa and Sonia are girlfriends and Piers unspoken crush on Raihan.

There I fixed it.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Fuckin... Turtonator has a 2% spawn rate and knows explosion because of course it does.

I have a toddler and an newborn, I ain't got time for this. gently caress. I'm going to bed. God loving damnit.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

alpha_destroy posted:

Fuckin... Turtonator has a 2% spawn rate and knows explosion because of course it does.

I have a toddler and an newborn, I ain't got time for this. gently caress. I'm going to bed. God loving damnit.

Just throw a quick ball.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Just throw a quick ball.

Yeah man. If I had had one and had known it knew explosion I would have dude. But I'm not staying up another hour to spawn a second one.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

RatHat posted:

Oh my god Clefable raids are a nightmare. Who thought giving Minimize to a raid boss was a good idea?

There are several moves that are perfectly accurate against and do double damage to targets that have used Minimize. Stomp, for instance. Bring one of those.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Araxxor posted:

"What if legendary Pokemon gave you only 1 attempt period at catching them" was not a question I ever needed an answer to, but thanks for answering that Game Freak.
Are you talking about Eternatus? that's a 100% catch rate for story reasons, use literally whatever ball you want

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Blaziken386 posted:

Are you talking about Eternatus? that's a 100% catch rate for story reasons, use literally whatever ball you want

I'm pretty sure he's talking about Gigantamaxes, and comparing their catch rate to Legendaries.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

BlazetheInferno posted:

I'm pretty sure he's talking about Gigantamaxes, and comparing their catch rate to Legendaries.

Yeah, Gigants are a pain to catch, and "1 catch attempt per encounter" is a mechanic I do not care for at all in general. I mean at least most of them are worse than just regular old Dynamaxing. But rare encounters + making them hard to catch in general is sure a way to make the player feel awful.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I got a shiny Vikavolt in a raid for my first shiny in the game, and I like it! One of the cooler color schemes I think.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Eimi posted:

I taught my Zamazenta dig. It woulda killed Zacian in two hits, but obviously I wasn't gonna get two hits off.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Live Free posted:

chandelure and vanilluxe :cheers:

Chandelure is Japan's favorite Gen V Pokemon and that's the sole reason it got into Pokken! It won a poll and everything!

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I'd pay $$ for DLC that just let me run real fast instead of bike so I can wear my snazzy outfit.

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

alpha_destroy posted:

Yeah man. If I had had one and had known it knew explosion I would have dude. But I'm not staying up another hour to spawn a second one.

just ask someone to give you one online somewhere

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

The only balls you should ever have end-game are net, quick, repeat, and dusk. Maybe a couple ultra balls for first time catches that aren't in raid dens(which count as night time)

Or pretty ones for fashion

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

alpha_destroy posted:

Flash Fire now increases the spawn rate of Fire pokemon by an absolutely enormous amount if a pokemon with that ability is in the front.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

If (God willing) we ever get an updated third version I hoped they add more things to do in Ballonlea and Spikemuth so I have an excuse to go back to the coolest looking towns more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
where the hell is drampa in shield