Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Nice tool finder wizard, all you need to know is the manufacturer's categories and subcategories and you can find the right drill for your situation!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Speaking of which, does this look like a steal, or discounted for a reason?

https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-engineer-series-m-360-bench-pillar-drill-102425

I guess being bench-top it's going to be limited to more machine tooling than the sort of woodworking I'd be using it for.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 29, 2019

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
HD sale Rigid 16g dust vac for $40. I don't need another shop vac but that is a killer deal.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-16-Gal-5-0-Peak-HP-Wet-Dry-Vac-WD1641/304795144

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

JEEVES420 posted:

HD sale Rigid 16g dust vac for $40. I don't need another shop vac but that is a killer deal.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-16-Gal-5-0-Peak-HP-Wet-Dry-Vac-WD1641/304795144

That's a good deal and I ought to get one and freecycle my 25 year old one.

On a different note, does anyone recall what these are called or where/if they are sold anymore? I picked these up ~ 20 years ago. They're wonderful flippable countersink/driver bits, and no one at Lowes or HD know wtf I'm asking about. I can't recall the guy's name that ostensibly patented them.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Speaking of which, does this look like a steal, or discounted for a reason?

https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-engineer-series-m-360-bench-pillar-drill-102425

I guess being bench-top it's going to be limited to more machine tooling than the sort of woodworking I'd be using it for.

Looks like a steal, if the short travel isn't a problem, also looks sold out.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Looks like one of these things? Or hex bit extension holders or whatever they're called.

JEEVES420 posted:

Dang, I should probably get on this. I managed to kill the motor on my old shop vac, so I've been getting by with a dust extractor and a dinky little handheld dust buster.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

Looks like a steal, if the short travel isn't a problem, also looks sold out.

Yeah apparently "last few" means "sold out" :(

Edit: Apparently if I drive 2 hours to High Wycombe I can still get one, but 60mm is just too little travel for woodworking. Fine for metals.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 29, 2019

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

taqueso posted:

Anyone have a deal on a 1/2" impact driver? Corded or cordless

If you want a lower power version, the subcompact Makita impact wrench is on sale with an impact driver and battery.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

JEEVES420 posted:

Just be aware that the hose on that unit is smaller than a typical shopvac hose. Fine for vacuuming the car and such, but for construction cleanup, you want the standard 2.5 inch diameter hose. The little one clogs to easy with chunky debris.

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

Mr. Mambold posted:

On a different note, does anyone recall what these are called or where/if they are sold anymore? I picked these up ~ 20 years ago. They're wonderful flippable countersink/driver bits, and no one at Lowes or HD know wtf I'm asking about. I can't recall the guy's name that ostensibly patented them.

Closest match I could find was this set, but a dissimilar yet functional equivalent would be a Zack Rabbit set.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

asdf32 posted:

Or a hackzall which is more all-around useful than a grinder (yard trimming etc).
I know I hate scroll saws and jig saws when they bind, I assume a sawzall might be similar but I completely forgot I own a sawzall so I will give it a try. I'm a little skeptical of it doing the job simply because it is pretty thick metal.

That said, I watched a few tear down videos comparing the various HF options, as far things like epoxying the windings, using stiff brush holders, or sealed vs covered bearings the Bauer and Hercules seem to both be built well. One video claimed the Hercules might be as good as a DeWalt, I'm sure Bauer is not as good as Hercules but I can't remember there being anything significantly different. So if I do satisfy my lust for a new tool I think Bauer might be alright, at least it will match my Milwaukee red tools. It's strange to think the Harbor Freight tools are becoming less disposable.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 30, 2019

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Crotch Fruit posted:

I know I hate scroll saws and jog saws when they bind, I assume a sawzall might be similar but I completely forgot I own a sawzall so I will give it a try. I'm a little skeptical of it doing the job simply because it is pretty thick metal.

Sharp blade.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Dr. Habibi posted:

Closest match I could find was this set, but a dissimilar yet functional equivalent would be a Zack Rabbit set.

No, that link is exactly it. No idea how they derived Montana as a brand name, but those are really handy. Thanks.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Mr. Mambold posted:

No, that link is exactly it. No idea how they derived Montana as a brand name, but those are really handy. Thanks.

Is this different than a flip drive drill set? Reminds me of the old craftsman drills (maybe?) that just had the front pop out you could turn it around and have a different driver on it

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Is this different than a flip drive drill set? Reminds me of the old craftsman drills (maybe?) that just had the front pop out you could turn it around and have a different driver on it

Idk, I don't remember any Craftsman sets like that. May be exactly what you're thinking of though.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Also here's the blue version https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-7-64-in-x-1-5-8-in-High-Speed-Steel-Twist-Drill-Bit/1208445

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Incontheivable. I must have the 2 dummy stores competing against one another in my city, neither one had clue.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I have that thing and I really hate it

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Home Depot has a pretty killer deal on Dewalt batteries. 2 4AH and 4 2AH batteries for $179.

https://www.homedepot.com/SpecialBuy/SpecialBuyOfTheDay

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Is it safe to trim the top off my riving knife? It'd make life easier both for partial-thickness cuts, but mainly because as it stands it sticks up out of the table even when the blade is lowered all the way down:

The top is, as far as I can tell, mostly for holding the blade guard / dust collector.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Jaded Burnout posted:

Is it safe to trim the top off my riving knife? It'd make life easier both for partial-thickness cuts, but mainly because as it stands it sticks up out of the table even when the blade is lowered all the way down:

The top is, as far as I can tell, mostly for holding the blade guard / dust collector.

I cant see why it would be a problem to cut it off.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

You probably can. Mine is very quick and easy to remove so I just remove it for dados/non-through cuts. The chance of the blade pinching or kicking back is much lower if you aren’t cutting all the way through.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

You probably can. Mine is very quick and easy to remove so I just remove it for dados/non-through cuts. The chance of the blade pinching or kicking back is much lower if you aren’t cutting all the way through.

It's more than I can't lay anything large on my workbench (not the one pictured) without removing the knife, which is a much more common thing than partial cuts.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Jaded Burnout posted:

It's more than I can't lay anything large on my workbench (not the one pictured) without removing the knife, which is a much more common thing than partial cuts.

Mine really isn't that hard to remove, I would definitely do that before I cut it

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Most riving knives I've seen and used were flush with the topmost point of the blade disc, so the issue with partial thickness cuts didn't happen.

It looks like on yours the only thing that extra tan sticking up does is hold the blade guard like you said.

I also use my saw as extra table space so it would drive me nuts to have a small tab of sheet metal sticking up all the time.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Jaded Burnout posted:

If you cut it just make sure to smooth/round over the edges so there is nothing that can catch while cutting.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Here is an equally easy solution to removing your riving knife or cutting it up: build a plywood cover for it with some blocking underneath so you can put your stuff on it and not deal with having to wonder where it is if you took it off and put it in one of your piles :D (we all have the piles, I cleaned my shop recently and can't find poo poo!)

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Mine really isn't that hard to remove, I would definitely do that before I cut it

Find a screwdriver, unlatch and remove the cover, crank the blade all the way up, reach in and partially unscrew a bolt, press the bolt with one hand while removing the knife with the other, replace the cover, re-latch it, lower the blade again. Every time I want to chuck something a bit long on the table.

That or do it every time I set up a cut, I'm not sure which is worse. I'd also like to keep the knife in at all times if possible to reduce the chance of me forgetting to use it, and also not have to gently caress around just to put a thing on a table.

JEEVES420 posted:

If you cut it just make sure to smooth/round over the edges so there is nothing that can catch while cutting.

Good note.

Edit:

Here is an equally easy solution to removing your riving knife or cutting it up: build a plywood cover for it with some blocking underneath so you can put your stuff on it and not deal with having to wonder where it is if you took it off and put it in one of your piles :D (we all have the piles, I cleaned my shop recently and can't find poo poo!)

So instead of having a metal tab sticking up out of the table getting in the way I have a cuboid of plywood sticking up out of the table getting in the way?? Or do you mean a cover for the entire table?

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 4, 2019

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

Find a screwdriver, unlatch and remove the cover, crank the blade all the way up, reach in and partially unscrew a bolt, press the bolt with one hand while removing the knife with the other, replace the cover, re-latch it, lower the blade again. Every time I want to chuck something a bit long on the table.

That or do it every time I set up a cut, I'm not sure which is worse. I'd also like to keep the knife in at all times if possible to reduce the chance of me forgetting to use it, and also not have to gently caress around just to put a thing on a table.

Edit:

So instead of having a metal tab sticking up out of the table getting in the way I have a cuboid of plywood sticking up out of the table getting in the way?? Or do you mean a cover for the entire table?

To the first part: Yes that sounds like a couple minute of work. Throw a magnet or something on the side of your saw and keep it on that?

To the second part: Yes, I was only half joking. It sounds like you don't use your saw much and need space to put things on that your saw is taking up

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

To the second part: Yes, I was only half joking. It sounds like you don't use your saw much and need space to put things on that your saw is taking up

If it was a dedicated table saw station then I'd not cut it, but since it's a general purpose workbench that happens to have a table saw built into it, it's gotta play nice with everything else.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

If it was a dedicated table saw station then I'd not cut it, but since it's a general purpose workbench that happens to have a table saw built into it, it's gotta play nice with everything else.

Ah yea word bad solution.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Ah yea word bad solution.

I could've been clearer about that from the outset.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Cut it, just don't cut it in a way that bends the riving knife at all.

Not having a mount for the blade guard isn't as big a deal as removing the riving knife and thinking "eh I don't want to put it back on, I'll make this quick cut" and getting a kickback. Anything you can do to only ever have to remove it for a dado stack is good.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Table saws are excellent at removing dedos

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Hypnolobster posted:

Anything you can do to only ever have to remove it for a dado stack is good.

They're some form of illegal or otherwise unavailable in the UK anyway.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010
Don't cut it, just get some sheet steel and make a new one based on the old one so you still have the option to mount a blade guard. If it's anything like mine, there are a couple of slots that slip over the attachment bolts, just trace that shape into the new steel and go nuts on the top side, just make sure you end it tangent with the top of the blade. I did it with some scrap steel shelving and a jigsaw.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Dielectric posted:

Don't cut it, just get some sheet steel and make a new one based on the old one so you still have the option to mount a blade guard. If it's anything like mine, there are a couple of slots that slip over the attachment bolts, just trace that shape into the new steel and go nuts on the top side, just make sure you end it tangent with the top of the blade. I did it with some scrap steel shelving and a jigsaw.

I have some aluminium sheet lying around but not steel, would that do? Or is it going to bend?

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

Jaded Burnout posted:

I have some aluminium sheet lying around but not steel, would that do? Or is it going to bend?

It really depends on the Al; if it's hardware-store grade 6063 it might be too soft. Some 7075 would be pretty good, I think. My first try with steel was too thin and vibrated to the point where the wood hung up on it. I'd just match the gauge of your guard with steel and save the aluminum for something pretty.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Dielectric posted:

It really depends on the Al; if it's hardware-store grade 6063 it might be too soft. Some 7075 would be pretty good, I think. My first try with steel was too thin and vibrated to the point where the wood hung up on it. I'd just match the gauge of your guard with steel and save the aluminum for something pretty.

It's some offcut aluminium coping. Unfortunately I can't find the grade in any of the technical docs, just the 2mm thickness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Jaded Burnout posted:

It's some offcut aluminium coping. Unfortunately I can't find the grade in any of the technical docs, just the 2mm thickness.

I'd be more apt to buy a replacement splitter from the manufacturer and cut that up then try to make one from scrap. Cutting off the nib with an angle grinder and dremeling/sanding down the edges sounds safer.