Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is this where I talk about the Harley Quinn show because god drat that first episode was funny as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

So I recently cut cable and did the all streaming thing.

Hulu recommended Golan the Insatiable.

It's actually pretty loving good. It's a great mix of total stupidity with a more serious seasonal arc that is also stupid. Maria Bamford as the mom works so God drat well.

Of course Fox killed it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

Is this where I talk about the Harley Quinn show because god drat that first episode was funny as hell

It might be. Although you might have more luck with the Comic Book Animation Thread.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Fabulousity posted:

So I recently cut cable and did the all streaming thing.

Hulu recommended Golan the Insatiable.

It's actually pretty loving good. It's a great mix of total stupidity with a more serious seasonal arc that is also stupid. Maria Bamford as the mom works so God drat well.

Of course Fox killed it.

Yeah it was a pretty cute show, if an animated adaptation of I Hate Fairyland ever happened they should definitely try to get some of the people who did Golan to work on it

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Slightly Absurd posted:

The creator also seems to enjoy leaning pretty heavily on the different eye deal thing. Heterochromia's pretty rare, so it's kinda jarring when there are so many characters with it.

Yeah that stood out to me, and added to the feeling of "everybody here is trying to be the coolest person in the room" thing. They're ALL unique and rare and kooky and random, but.... in the same way. So it just feels... like something teenagers would do.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Golan the Insatiable was loving amazing, but only for the first season. I don’t even know what the gently caress was with that second season; they somehow managed to make all the characters so obnoxious or bland that it didn’t even seem like the same show.

But oh man, that first season, :kiss:

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

Labes for days posted:

Golan the Insatiable was loving amazing, but only for the first season. I don’t even know what the gently caress was with that second season; they somehow managed to make all the characters so obnoxious or bland that it didn’t even seem like the same show.

But oh man, that first season, :kiss:

The fact that the show was adapted from articles from the front page here was also pretty neat.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

That part was really adding insult to injury. Took a great story, made it a great cartoon, and then made it “marketable.”

Somebody acquire the Monstergeddon IP and don’t gently caress it up.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

Labes for days posted:

That part was really adding insult to injury. Took a great story, made it a great cartoon, and then made it “marketable.”

Somebody acquire the Monstergeddon IP and don’t gently caress it up.

Monstergeddon is perfect as is - I don't think it would translate too well due to the number of forums specific in-jokes anyway. I would be up for a series of shorts about the exciting life and incomparable deals offered by P.B. Fouke though.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SolarFire2 posted:

I probably would have at least been middle of the road towards Mr. Pickles if it didn't have that thing where everyone is YELLING THEIR LINES.

How else would you know where the jokes are?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I just watched the first ep of Momma Made Me Sheriff and it's not as unappealing as Mr. Pickles was. "Incompetent sheriff and his straight man deputy go on weird, sometimes grossout misadventures" probably helps ground the show a bit more than "edgy dog does grossout murders" (though I've heard that people who actually stuck with Mr. Pickles felt that it got better overtime, so that probably feeds into that)

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Thanks, I hate it

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DoubleCakes posted:

Thanks, I hate it

:emptyquote:

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

DoubleCakes posted:

Thanks, I hate it

Unfortunately I’ve found that this is yet another fandom where a large portion of the people who enjoy it do so because they want to emulate the most horrible characters, eg Rick and Morty, the Joker, etc.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I watched the first four episodes of Epithet Erased, an animation on VRV from the guy who does the So This Is Basically... videos. I thought it was pretty good! Some of the "we have no budget" animation tricks were a little weird, but I might just not be used to them, and the characters are all well-designed and really likeable.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

I just watched the first ep of Momma Made Me Sheriff and it's not as unappealing as Mr. Pickles was. "Incompetent sheriff and his straight man deputy go on weird, sometimes grossout misadventures" probably helps ground the show a bit more than "edgy dog does grossout murders" (though I've heard that people who actually stuck with Mr. Pickles felt that it got better overtime, so that probably feeds into that)

I don't really like the show, but since I'm up late a lot I saw most of it through reruns. I wouldn't say Mr. Pickles ever really got better, but there were a few tolerable ones. They occasionally let actual jokes have room to breathe and there was a glimmer of something if they could get past the edgelord and budget NewGrounds stuff. They started to do more gimmick episodes without Mr. Pickles, including a COPS parody that just followed sheriff around the weird town, which along with a few other Sheriff episodes is probably where this season came from.

I saw a few rumors on Reddit from the couple of fans that Adult Swim told the creators to re-do the whole show around Sheriff, or it was getting canceled. Just weird that the rebrand is apparently real and sticking and that it was basically a stealth reboot. I assumed it was a one-off joke when I saw the commercials.

Also, Squidbilles was good. "I said Blue Lives Matter 'til I'm blue in the face, what more do you want?"

Adult Swim seems to be doing a horrible job of actually pushing out new shows though. I remember seeing some list of 20+ shows that they approved pitches for, and I'm not sure that any of them actually aired. They haven't done a pilot special run in forever. I thought The Jellies and Lazor Wolf sucked, even though I wanted to like them. Ballmastrz 9009 and Tigtone were decent too. A few of their live action shows have been alright (Your Pretty Face Is Going to Hell, Dream Corp LLC.) along with their Infomercials series, but the rest has been so stale.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Dec 4, 2019

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Escobarbarian posted:

You have no idea how surprised I am to be agreeing with you on this.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Also, Squidbilles was good. "I said Blue Lives Matter 'til I'm blue in the face, what more do you want?"

Adult Swim seems to be doing a horrible job of actually pushing out new shows though. I remember seeing some list of 20+ shows that they approved pitches for, and I'm not sure that any of them actually aired. They haven't done a pilot special run in forever. I thought The Jellies and Lazor Wolf sucked, even though I wanted to like them. Ballmastrz 9009 and Tigtone were decent too. A few of their live action shows have been alright (Your Pretty Face Is Going to Hell, Dream Corp LLC.) along with their Infomercials series, but the rest has been so stale.

What's weird is that they don't push out new shows, but the good ones they do have get lost in the shuffle and Squids is an example of that. What was it, 1 1/2-2 years between new seasons? There was also that oddball season which was only 6 episodes a while back.

I had hope for The Jellies given the crew behind Loiter Squad was involved with it and it just never had any staying power.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

You could talk about it in BSS' Comic Animation thread although I wouldn't recommend it because it seems pretty much everyone over there dislikes it so you might find it a hard sell.

Rand Brittain posted:

I watched the first four episodes of Epithet Erased, an animation on VRV from the guy who does the So This Is Basically... videos. I thought it was pretty good! Some of the "we have no budget" animation tricks were a little weird, but I might just not be used to them, and the characters are all well-designed and really likeable.

I thought it was cute (I've only watched the two on youtube) but I was under the impression that it would actually be ...animated. Like the intro. It's still kind of entertaining but I feel like for the story it's telling (you know, one with action scenes) it should be really be more animated than it is. Regardless of anything, the end theme is catchy as poo poo.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 6, 2019

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

TwoPair posted:

I thought it was cute (I've only watched the two on youtube) but I was under the impression that it would actually be ...animated. Like the intro. It's still kind of entertaining but I feel like for the story it's telling (you know, one with action scenes) it should be really be more animated than it is. Regardless of anything, the end theme is catchy as poo poo.

It does occasionally have fully-animated scenes, mostly at big moments, like the conclusion of the fourth episode.

Also yeah I totally wander around at work singing "Great at Crime" to myself.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Megillah Gorilla posted:

You have no idea how surprised I am to be agreeing with you on this.

It's really loving funny

...kite man

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It really is. I have no idea what the people in the BSS thread are on about.

It's comics/cartoons, you're allowed to have different versions of the same character.

Kite man

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Comic nerds are horrible for that. Personally, I'm in the Douglas Adams camp of thinking where every time you introduce a property to a new medium of entertainment you also get to remake that property. Why watch the exact same thing you've already read? Nerds. That's why! [you are now thinking of Ogre from Revenge of the Nerds]

I just posted this in the DC thread, but I'm pretty sure the Harley Quinn cartoon is the best thing DC has on currently (this includes the streaming and CW stuff).

It's actually funny. I thought it was going to be a lame trope filled cartoon like Drawn Together or something, but it actually has decent characterization going on.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Is there an anime thread?

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Comic nerds are horrible for that. Personally, I'm in the Douglas Adams camp of thinking where every time you introduce a property to a new medium of entertainment you also get to remake that property.

I agree, especially Adams' stressed that works need to be remade when you switch mediums, because each medium has different strengths and weaknesses.

Lots of the jokes in Hitchhiker's involve internal thoughts or notes which don't work as well in radio or film, so he changed the plot to emphasize other jokes more. That's smart stuff.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

There's an entire anime forum

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
This is somewhat relevant to this thread.

https://twitter.com/CNschedules/status/1206491860983853056

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
The Harley Quinn show is continuing to be a hell of a lot of fun.

Also, this is the first time I think I've ever enjoyed Poison Ivy. Usually her character is so one note it's embarrassing, but her world weary big city girl routine is just great.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

They seem to reserve the longer bumpers for when somebody that's part of their community dies or retires, but at least there's confirmation he's out.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The Harley Quinn show is continuing to be a hell of a lot of fun.

Also, this is the first time I think I've ever enjoyed Poison Ivy. Usually her character is so one note it's embarrassing, but her world weary big city girl routine is just great.

Counterpoint:

https://twitter.com/xeiphaar/status/1206210580585078784

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Well that's upsetting

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well that's a very new interpretation of the Penguin.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think he was maybe implied to be Jewish in Gotham, but that's a pretty different interpretation of the character.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Also counterpoint:

https://twitter.com/justin_halpern/status/1206707950737219589
https://twitter.com/justin_halpern/status/1206708445879005184

(Disclaimer: Have not seen the show. If it's uncalled for, I'll see myself out)

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Also counterpoint:

https://twitter.com/justin_halpern/status/1206707950737219589
https://twitter.com/justin_halpern/status/1206708445879005184

(Disclaimer: Have not seen the show. If it's uncalled for, I'll see myself out)

I have seen every episode of the show. That post is just Twitter being the cesspool of poo poo it always is and probably should just be ignored. It reeks of someone trying to reach at anything they can to make people hate the show.

The show's great and nerds are just mad that Joker's not Mark Hamill or something. Though the first episode wasn't the best, it's been getting better and it wasn't Titans' first episode of nothing but "lol it's dark and edgy just because we're not on TV!". The violence and inane bullshit seems pretty spot-on for Harley's current comic appearance from what I've seen. At least Joker hasn't cut his face off (...yet..).

Also, it's amusing to see Justin Halpern who did the poo poo My Dad Says Twitter do this show now. Especially since the SUPER watered down sitcom version of that Twitter was so poorly received.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i haven't seen the show either, but that seems like someone on the writing team made a specific (religious) change to the character and then no one noticed any of the bad implications that it (retroactively?) raised as a result. it looks like a pretty valid thing to bring up, at the least, instead of getting dismissive about it.

like, the money bags bit would probably be funny if he was just a crime boss at a birthday, but making him jewish and at a bat mitzvah makes it get kinda Ehhh, i guess?? :shrug:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Booky posted:

i haven't seen the show either, but that seems like someone on the writing team made a specific (religious) change to the character and then no one noticed any of the bad implications that it (retroactively?) raised as a result. it looks like a pretty valid thing to bring up, at the least, instead of getting dismissive about it.

like, the money bags bit would probably be funny if he was just a crime boss at a birthday, but making him jewish and at a bat mitzvah makes it get kinda Ehhh, i guess?? :shrug:

Or, someone on the writing staff intentionally made them their own religion so as not to offend other religions or appropriate, seeing nothing of it since the character was already greedy and also being that part of representation means not just token representation but for all kinds of characters.

You should maybe read the "Hi, I’m a Jew and one of the showrunners of the show, Also the writer of this episode @janembecker is Jewish" tweet.

Also lol "I haven't seen the show but..." :rolleyes:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 17, 2019

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the many dimensions of creating good representation in media (or sometimes, just not accidentally making bad representation) can be fairly complex and it's easy to slip up without meaning to. i'm perfectly willing to believe that it's just an unfortunate coincidence but drat is that not a great look

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Or, someone on the writing staff intentionally made them their own religion so as not to offend other religions or appropriate, seeing nothing of it since the character was already greedy and also being that part of representation means not just token representation but for all kinds of characters.

You should maybe read the "Hi, I’m a Jew and one of the showrunners of the show, Also the writer of this episode @janembecker is Jewish" tweet.

Also lol "I haven't seen the show but..." :rolleyes:

That does not mean they get an automatic free pass for unintentionally offending someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

TwoPair posted:

That does not mean they get an automatic free pass for unintentionally offending someone.

lol, yes it does. There is a subset group of liberals who think Jews (and also Roma) are an acceptable target for bigotry because they are a "white" minority. Since the writers are Jewish this isn't the case, and there is nothing to be angry about.