Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

It's simple the AT-ST doors were locked so they couldn't throw a charge inside it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Desperado Bones posted:

Thanks, that's a Western 101.

Lady/Widow/Old Widow who was secretly a good shooter and has the balls to protect her land/family/town.

If it bothers you then we can all pretend Cara Dune comes from the planet Amazonia that is inhabited only by strong muscular women who can break rocks with their bare hands, so punching Mando's nearly steel is nothing.

There, solved.

Edit: :lol: that someone is definitely gonna write a fanfic about something like that.

Or just foley in some techno-glove sounds whenever she strikes to cue us that her gloves have mini-repulsors that make her hit harder or something.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Frankenstyle posted:

What's wrong with someone that would cause them to notice this as a thing? I mean, I'm not a good person at all and I watch that scene thinking "Uh oh, only one villager knows how to shoot". What kind of cascade of failure leads anyone to the point where they're all like "Oh-oh-OH, of course it's a goddamn woman!"?

The truth is kind of insidious and tragic. In my experience, the driving factor here is that they have been convinced that they continue to be separated from value by a favoritism that prefers 'even' and 'the other' to 'correct'. He sees it as evidence of a conspiracy that is undermining public perception of reality and robbing them of the value they deserve be it wealth, status or so on. He perceives media to be the first engine of it, convincing society away from the norms that fits his view of a correct society towards the one that he believe is weakening their society and their position in it and pushing people away from both their natures and utilitarianism.

Most people in this world mean well, and if these people are like the people I've met that have these beliefs, they are convinced that we are on a path to ruin and they want to save us before it's too late. On one hand, media is powerful and what they're putting out there can lead to harm; on the other hand youtube videos by themselves are safer than action.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

That's like a really good philosophical answer. Wow.

What if those dudes are right, though? A lot of men appear to be pitifully unhappy in our current climate and have already started to check out.

Anyway, don't actually answer that, that's way off topic to Disney's THE MANDALORIAN. I'm going to go buy some bone broth now.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I watched the series and was entertained, though it was a bit cheesy.

Then again, if you go to watch star wars and are horrified of cheesy, you're in the wrong IP.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Cara spent a military career hunting down Imperials. I'm sure she's used to punching armored people.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

That's like a really good philosophical answer. Wow.

What if those dudes are right, though? A lot of men appear to be pitifully unhappy in our current climate and have already started to check out.

Anyway, don't actually answer that, that's way off topic to Disney's THE MANDALORIAN. I'm going to go buy some bone broth now.

A lot of women are raped

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

AdmiralViscen posted:

Star Wars: The Mandalorian: A lot of women are raped

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Or just foley in some techno-glove sounds whenever she strikes to cue us that her gloves have mini-repulsors that make her hit harder or something.

The whole "Why wear a helmet if punches still work/Why punch someone with a helmet" thing is goofy at the source. A helmet doesn't keep your neck from rocking back or twisting which affects blood flow to the brain and is why boxers knock each other unconscious. I were a motorcycle helmet when I ride to limit damage / make my corpse easier to identify, but it doesn't make you invulnerable or mean someone punching you in the head isn't gonna ring your bell.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
But a lot of men get raped by men too. This is so unfair to men.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

The Jek Porkins scene but sub out 'Thread' for 'Porkins'

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Frankenstyle posted:

The whole "Why wear a helmet if punches still work/Why punch someone with a helmet" thing is goofy at the source. A helmet doesn't keep your neck from rocking back or twisting which affects blood flow to the brain and is why boxers knock each other unconscious. I were a motorcycle helmet when I ride to limit damage / make my corpse easier to identify, but it doesn't make you invulnerable or mean someone punching you in the head isn't gonna ring your bell.

The only thing wrong with the punching helmets bit is that it doesn't hurt the puncher at all. And even that is a minor nitpick that no one really cares about its a big action trope.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Frankenstyle posted:

Yea punching someone with a helmet on doesn’t really work. Sure it’ll have an effect but in most. you can shrug it off. If helmets were so useless why are they worn as protection in sports?

Hell I just watched that stupid history channel show Knight Fight and guys were getting clobbered by axes and hammers on their helmets with little effect.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

TK-42-1 posted:

The only thing wrong with the punching helmets bit is that it doesn't hurt the puncher at all. And even that is a minor nitpick that no one really cares about its a big action trope.

Yeah. There's a reason almost no one tries to punch a football player while he's still got a helmet on.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Moon Slayer posted:

This is a space western. If you're expecting something other than "mysterious stranger with a dark past blows into town, solves the immediate problems, and then leaves because trouble's comin' after him and he doesn't want to put the townsfolk in danger" then I've got bad news for you.

I feel like a lot of people would understand this show better if they watched more spaghetti westerns (not just the big popular ones) as well as many low budget Edo jidai samurai and yakuza movies because that's pretty much exactly what this show is, just in space.

Tolstoy said it right: there are only two stories: a man goes on a journey or a stranger comes to town. The Mandolorian is both, depending on which character's point of view you are looking at.

Edit: also Helmet punching makes perfect sense because this is an action tv show and it's inconsequential to worry about such things if the fist fight moves the story along. If you want realism, none of the star wars series' are for you.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 1, 2019

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The only I really had trouble buying was that they were actually worried about the AT-ST. When Mando found the footprints he should have been like "those are At-ST tracks. Let's go find it and push it over or throw a rock at it and blow it up"

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Desperado Bones posted:

If it bothers you then we can all pretend Cara Dune comes from the planet Amazonia that is inhabited only by strong muscular women who can break rocks with their bare hands, so punching Mando's nearly steel is nothing.
Here's exactly how much it bothered me:

"Huh. That's kinda' dumb. Ooh! This gal is fun to watch fight."

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Exactly. It was a ‘wait... oh gently caress it’ moment.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
The only thing I thought of when they lady raised her hand that she knew how to shoot was: "I wonder who taught her how to shoot, and why. Is she not from here?" and then they showed just how good she was during the montage and it made me even more curious to learn how she came upon this skill.

Dunno why someone would go "Only woman know how shoot gun?" instead.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

TK-42-1 posted:

Exactly. It was a ‘wait... oh gently caress it’ moment.

Cara is the best.
:allears:
I enjoyed every second of her kicking Mando's butt. Hopefully we will get more sweet wrestling moves on her next appearance.

PureRok posted:

The only thing I thought of when they lady raised her hand that she knew how to shoot was: "I wonder who taught her how to shoot, and why. Is she not from here?" and then they showed just how good she was during the montage and it made me even more curious to learn how she came upon this skill.

Dunno why someone would go "Only woman know how shoot gun?" instead.

Same. There's a chance she was a former rebel? That's a mystery I would like to see being solved.

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 1, 2019

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Aside from the AT-ST, this felt like an episode of Star Gate.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/xoGlitterTV/status/1200991801957658624

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I thought this episode was about on par with the first 2 with the 3rd ep being the best so far by a fair margin, Cara was cool, I just don't care for the stereotypical help-an-under-developed-society plotline.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 1, 2019

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Desperado Bones posted:

Same. There's a chance she was a former rebel? That's a mystery I would like to see being solved.

I was expecting to see a scene where she digs up an old footlocker, gets a pretty wicked blaster out, and she closes it and see the imperial emblem engraved on the lid.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I loving love this so much.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

teagone posted:

I loving love this so much.

The meme game has been strong lately

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The kids reaction to baby Yoda trying to eat a frog :3:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Baby Yoda learning things owns. I love that this show, should baby Yoda go anywhere, sets him up to have the most balanced and real world start for a Yoda dude. I also enjoy the Mandalorian basically leaving him to his own devices so he has to get his poo poo together.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

As soon as the opening scene started with the Raiders attacking it was incredibly obvious this was a magnificent seven ripoff. I could have left after the opening scene and come back with 5 minutes left and be caught up instantly. It was very by the numbers

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

This felt like an old episode of Star Trek or something. I didn’t hate it, but it had a really different texture/tone than the first 3 eps.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

anatomi posted:

haha yeah I didn't think about that, but totally.

I kind of like that each episode has felt different personally. Each one is it's own contained bite sized story and the main plot of what to do with baby yoda is secondary. The last two eps might have not been as strong as the first two, but they were still very fun and hardly drag the show down by any means.

In some ways I think episode 2 might have set the bar too high. it was just too drat perfect. Also episode 1 might have set a darker tone that isn't overall representative of the show. So far I think the balance of dark, and goofy family entertainment has been really good personally.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 2, 2019

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sash! posted:

Yeah. There's a reason almost no one tries to punch a football player while he's still got a helmet on.

Major League Hockey would like a word.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Planet Vancouver has been very lucrative for science fiction television.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

anatomi posted:

I had this *exact* same thought in my head the entire episode

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Guys guys this isn't some air tight TV drama, it's a star wars show

Be thankful internal logic was consistent for even 2 or 3 episodes

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
Rewatched this episode. Great Baby Yoda moments, but my overall least favorite episode even though I really enjoyed it. I’ve seen a lot of thoughts as to why, but I think it had a weaker score to previous episodes which impacted things.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

ghostwritingduck posted:

Rewatched this episode. Great Baby Yoda moments, but my overall least favorite episode even though I really enjoyed it. I’ve seen a lot of thoughts as to why, but I think it had a weaker score to previous episodes which impacted things.

There was a lot more dialog talking over it.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Rocksicles posted:

There was a lot more dialog talking over it.

That’s true. I didn’t like the theme for the village which I think was the only new piece.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

While I really liked this episode a lot, I just liked it less than all the others I've seen so far. Still very good though.

I love how Byoda intervenes to help the Mando when he believes he's genuinely in danger (the mudhorn) but just watches the fight in this episode sipping soup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

SirSamVimes posted:

I love how Byoda intervenes to help the Mando when he believes he's genuinely in danger (the mudhorn) but just watches the fight in this episode sipping soup.

That's because he is wise and knows that wasn't actually fighting.

It was flirting.