Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

blizzardvizard posted:

Sorry, I was being facetious, I assure you

I'm a gay man with some gender identity questions myself fwiw
Oh! An egg!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Gynovore posted:

In the 3.5 Monster Manual, Black Dragons are always Chaotic Evil. That's exactly what it says, "Always Chaotic Evil". So, from a strictly D&D point of view, V did a Good thing.

(And if I seem excessively nerdy, remember that in that very arc Rich referred to the Monster Manual).

The entirety of the comic and that arc specifically is a lot of going "Default D&D's alignment system is stupid and horrifying and justifies countless atrocities" and you still got idiots going "ACTUALLY TECHNICALLY IT WAS A GOOD THING SO THE CHARACTER ISN'T AN rear end in a top hat!!!!!!!" as the characters say "I will never make up for the pain I've caused."

It's why most good settings instantly through all that poo poo into the garbage.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

blizzardvizard posted:

Sorry, I was being facetious, I assure you

I'm a gay man with some gender identity questions myself fwiw

Ok, sorry-- it had been a long day.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
And even with the only two black dragons we've seen in the strip, one was just defending his mom's home from armed intruders and the other was angry about the gratuitous slaughter of her son.

The mom was very clearly "evil but with a good cause" like redcloak

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Gynovore posted:

In the 3.5 Monster Manual, Black Dragons are always Chaotic Evil. That's exactly what it says, "Always Chaotic Evil". So, from a strictly D&D point of view, V did a Good thing.
:goonsay:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gynovore posted:

(And if I seem excessively nerdy, remember that in that very arc Rich referred to the Monster Manual).

Actually the 3.5 Monster Manual says Always means 99%

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Every species has a Drizzt.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Clarste posted:

Every species has a Drizzt.

Sometimes, a species is made entirely of Drizzts and then four mean NPCs to provide backstory for the Drizzts.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Half-dragons are not exactly obscure secrets in the OotS world. A moment's thought would have told V there was a good chance many of the dragon's relatives would be near-enough humans under no compulsion to be evil.

That they didn't give a moment's thought before committing an atrocity is a big indictment of V's character that they are trying to atone for.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Less than 24 hours and it’s alignment chat. Rich is ok..WE are not.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I propose that the good/evil and law/chaos axes be replaced with helpful/hinderance and friendly/dickish, as they are the only axes that really matter to the PC's. "Is this NPC going to be useful to our quest, and are they going to be a dick about it"

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Would preemptively murdering some crotchety old man who’s probably going to call the guards if you do anything that he doesn’t like a morally just act under that alignment system, then? :v:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm trying to decouple the alignment system from morals entirely so I don't have to hear PC's claim that their relentless murderhobo-ing is definitely a Good action.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I've been running games without it for years and especially since 5e it hasn't caused any major issues.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Gynovore posted:

Wait, V is canonically non-binary? I must have missed that.

It hasn't been explicitly stated in the comic, but Burlew refers to V as genderqueer in author commentary in the books.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Tenebrais posted:

Half-dragons are not exactly obscure secrets in the OotS world. A moment's thought would have told V there was a good chance many of the dragon's relatives would be near-enough humans under no compulsion to be evil.

That they didn't give a moment's thought before committing an atrocity is a big indictment of V's character that they are trying to atone for.

Yes, V felt that it should have been obvious when they found out.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Archyduchess posted:

I've been running games without it for years and especially since 5e it hasn't caused any major issues.

Sorry if this is off topic, but... 5th edition, awful or not awful?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Gynovore posted:

Did you like 4th edition? If so, 5th edition rolled back all the positive changes and it sucks just as hard as 3.x did. Did you like 3.x edition? If so, you'd probably like 5th, I guess?

edit: this reminded me once again that this comic got started around when 3.5 came out, and I've been reading it since then. Time is wild.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
As someone who liked 3.5 and Pathfinder, I love 5e. It streamlined what needed to be streamlined; but kept the best aspects of 3.5e.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Gynovore posted:

It's not at all perfect but it's easy to pick up and generally pretty flexible. I don't think it's the favorite system of anyone at my table but it's something we can all agree on, and if someone wants to drop in on a game there's a pretty good chance they know it too.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

DontMockMySmock posted:

Did you like 4th edition? If so, 5th edition rolled back all the positive changes and it sucks just as hard as 3.x did. Did you like 3.x edition? If so, you'd probably like 5th, I guess?

Just the opposite, I thought 3/3.5 were great and 4e was putrid.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

4e was a great collectible card game

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Not to edition war too hard but I've literally never met anyone IRL who liked 4th edition, almost all praise I've seen for it ever has been on this forum. For me personally it was just sorta... bad but not egregiously so.
Puffin Forest had a video recently that was unique so far as I know because his is the only perspective I've heard from someone who's first edition of D&D was 4th and *hated* it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpmUxfS4LF8

My group disliked it and after a few sessions decided to go back to Cortex. We came back in with 5th edition earlier this year and have been really enjoying it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

ArchRanger posted:

Not to edition war too hard but I've literally never met anyone IRL who liked 4th edition, almost all praise I've seen for it ever has been on this forum. For me personally it was just sorta... bad but not egregiously so.
Puffin Forest had a video recently that was unique so far as I know because his is the only perspective I've heard from someone who's first edition of D&D was 4th and *hated* it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpmUxfS4LF8

My group disliked it and after a few sessions decided to go back to Cortex. We came back in with 5th edition earlier this year and have been really enjoying it.

I never got to play it but from reading the books I dug it. I couldn't get anyone on board to try it because one person played it at Origins the summer it came out, said it was bad, and that's all anyone cared about. Which was ridiculous because this was a guy who exclusively used Dragon Magazine articles to build ridiculous characters and the reason it was bad was "lack of customization" but it had only been out months at that point.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

My group is a bunch of video gamers and people who hadn't played since 2nd edition. 5e makes a lot of sense to them just from the get go, and as the DM, the easier it is for them to understand the rules, the better it is for me.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

John Wick of Dogs posted:

4e was a game, which was not what many fans wanted out of D&D.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

ArchRanger posted:

There’s more visceral bad blood built up over the 4e edition wars than any other iteration because the principal anti-4e arguments for a decade were bad-faith drastic misinterpretations created by 4chan shitposts and amplified by the internet being a much more widespread thing than in the 2-3 changeover.

The simultaneous evolution of the strongest anti-4e voices into outright nazis, both on 4chan and among grognard pockets, sort of casts an extremely suspicious light on any 4e skeptics before they actually lay out why they think the way they do.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
4e was the most fun I ever had playing D&D.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

YggiDee posted:

Same

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The rules for combat in 3.5 or 5 are fundamentally no different than in 4, but that fact is hidden by how unclearly everything is written.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Remember when 3.0 came out and people said they were ruining D&D by making it a table top Diablo game?

Nerds have never ever changed. 3.X at least didn't have alleged sexual abuser Zak S as a consultant so it's got that over 5e.

Mystic Mongol posted:

The rules for combat in 3.5 or 5 are fundamentally no different than in 4, but that fact is hidden by how unclearly everything is written.

People complained that it forced you to use minis and grids and those people have literally never read the 3.5 PHB cause it's got the same examples and maps with minis for combat explanations.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

People complained that it forced you to use minis and grids and those people have literally never read the 3.5 PHB cause it's got the same examples and maps with minis for combat explanations.

1e and the basic game before it both worked on the assumption that people would use minis or hex grids or whatever, but in my experience only the ultra grognards used them.

EDIT: Although, I have occasionally seen mini setups so elaborate my jaw hit the floor, so maybe I've been missing out.

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Put Your 'Lectric Eye On Me, Babe
Grimey Drawer
I loved 4e, and was prepared to hate 5e for rolling back all the actual fixes to 3e for the sake of idiotic nostalgia, but was pleasantly surprised. The biggest thing 5e fixed was in something called “bounded accuracy”. The basic numbers for stuff like AC and to hit stay reasonably near eachother, unlike 3e where the numbers for everything skyrocket as you increase levels. This also means that having 15 various stat enhancing magic items or buff spells on at all times is no longer necessary to participate in the game. So, imagine an alternate timeline where 4e never existed and 5e was made to fix 3e without using any of the actually good game design in 4e, and generally succeeds at being a playable dnd.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

That's kind of disingenuous. 4E players had vastly more options for manipulating enemy position, on practically every class in the game. 3.5E clearly wanted you to use a grid, and it made tracking combat positioning easier, but 4E took that poo poo to an entirely new level. That stuff was baked into just about every strata of it.

Which, hey, that's fine. I'm pretty sure that was a driving factor in improving online tabletop solutions.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Cabbit posted:

I'm pretty sure that was a driving factor in improving online tabletop solutions.
What's your current favorite online tabletop solution? My buddies and I tried MapTool (java lol) a few times and it was woefully clunky, albeit workable.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Schwarzwald posted:

4e was a game, which was not what many fans wanted out of D&D.

Every version of D&D has been a game; it's always been one of the worst RPGs at marrying the role-playing aspect with the game, as nearly everything the mechanics apply to are completely divorced from the role-playing, and those that aren't, like the social rules, are often tedious and I don't think I've ever seen a person actually use them as written. D&D's rules actively get in the way of and limit role-playing and storytelling, rather than assisting and enabling it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

YggiDee posted:

4e was the only fun I ever had playing D&D.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I liked 4th edition, and I like 5th edition, too. However, I really miss how 4th edition made combat interesting for players even when it wasn't their turn. There were a metric ton of abilities that allowed players to act even on their friends' turns.

5th edition is back to the old way of "do your turn, then wait 15 minutes for it to be your turn again because the wizard has to figure out which of his 35 spells he wants to use this round, and, no, he will never learn to start planning that poo poo ahead of time..."

Everything else about 5th edition is great.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
get better wizards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gynovore posted:

It's very good, as someone who disliked 3 and loved 4.