Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

With bigger and bigger phones important things are moving south for ergonomics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
This might be anathema but the old (gone?) Android idea of having 3+ "buttons" makes a lot more sense in the 6" screen world.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

Can anyone in this thread possibly tell me why Safari has suddenly decided to close all the inactive tabs on my iPad after like 2 days, even though my Settings are set to only close tabs manually?

I’m assuming iOS 13.1.3 fuckery is involved somehow?

Quoting myself because Safari just started doing this loving poo poo again. It stopped for awhile after I installed an update and it started up again like a day or two ago, except this time there’s no new update to install. I think I’m on iOS 13.2.3 now?

What the gently caress is going on here? Why did Apple make iOS worse?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

I. M. Gei posted:

Why did Apple make iOS worse?

That's their goal.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

Quoting myself because Safari just started doing this loving poo poo again. It stopped for awhile after I installed an update and it started up again like a day or two ago, except this time there’s no new update to install. I think I’m on iOS 13.2.3 now?

What the gently caress is going on here? Why did Apple make iOS worse?

Aaaaand it just deleted all of my open tabs again, and now as I’m trying to reopen them it can only handle 4 tabs total.

Is my iPad loving up, or is Safari having a stroke? What is happening here?

Violator
May 15, 2003

https://9to5mac.com/2019/06/13/automatically-close-safari-tabs-iphone-ipad-ios-13/

Do you have this turned on? Apparently there’s a feature to close tabs automatically?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Violator posted:

https://9to5mac.com/2019/06/13/automatically-close-safari-tabs-iphone-ipad-ios-13/

Do you have this turned on? Apparently there’s a feature to close tabs automatically?

Dude it’s right there in the quote...

I. M. Gei posted:

even though my Settings are set to only close tabs manually

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

OH GREAT, NOW IT CAN ONLY DISPLAY 2 TABS AT A TIME

GOD loving DAMNIT :shepicide:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Although this feels like pain now, this is actually healing you.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I just made a thread in Haus of Tech Support. Hopefully someone there can help me figure out what’s wrong and how to fix it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I need to sign up to more sites through apps, because I've only just seen my first Apple ID option yesterday. It's a bit of a shame I can't forward the email to a non-Apple ID, as I tend to use that address for more important email but given how bad spamming has gotten and SpamAssassin can't seem to catch up these days, this is definitely not a deal breaker.

I wish I could generate up some email addresses by hand too, that would be neat.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I. M. Gei posted:

I just made a thread in Haus of Tech Support. Hopefully someone there can help me figure out what’s wrong and how to fix it.

If I had to guess, I would suggest force closing all your apps and doing a full restart. If it's dumping tabs, I assume it's running into memory problems and that would most likely be a poorly coded app.

I don't know if iOS manages any kind of swap file, but you might make sure you're not maxing out on available space and downloading an update or something as well.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Big high fives to the guy at IMDb who decided to move the search bar to the bottom, making muscle memory for every other app be completely redundant for it. I hope you’re fired by Monday.

Speaking of IMDB they can gently caress right off. I did a google search for a movie and of course the site comes up. I want to click on the full cast in Safari and what does it do? Redirects me to the loving app store to download their poo poo loving app.

I tried it twice and just gave up because I couldn't be bothered but holy poo poo is that annoying.

Also where is my Dark Mode Gmail app???

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

MarcusSA posted:

Speaking of IMDB they can gently caress right off. I did a google search for a movie and of course the site comes up. I want to click on the full cast in Safari and what does it do? Redirects me to the loving app store to download their poo poo loving app.

I tried it twice and just gave up because I couldn't be bothered but holy poo poo is that annoying.

A reliable way to get around this is to long press and open in background.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

A reliable way to get around this is to long press and open in background.

Ah ok I’ll remember that. I just couldn’t be hosed though and was seriously irritated.

All because I wanted to see the cast list for Above the Law starting Steven Segal.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

All because I wanted to see the cast list for Above the Law starting Steven Segal.

Oh nooooo

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Well it was on at work and I swore that Pam Grier was the doctor on Law and Order.

I was hilariously wrong and the picture that Google picked for Pam is hilarious.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Steven Seagal is an actual human monster, but Above the Law rules. Fun fact: the director of that movie also directed the film adaptation of "Holes" for Disney.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Weedle posted:

Fun fact: the director of that movie also directed the film adaptation of "Holes" for Disney.

This is blowing my loving mind right now. He also directed The Fugitive AND Chain Reaction! What a rollercoaster of a filmography.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

NofrikinfuN posted:

If I had to guess, I would suggest force closing all your apps and doing a full restart.

I have no idea what any of these words mean. How do I force close an app or do a full restart on an iPad?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

I. M. Gei posted:

I have no idea what any of these words mean. How do I force close an app or do a full restart on an iPad?

If you go into the recently used apps view (I think it's still the double-tap home button on the Air 2) you can swipe apps up to close them.

Full restart is just turning it off and on. Hold power button, swipe to shut off, etc.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Protocol7 posted:

If you go into the recently used apps view (I think it's still the double-tap home button on the Air 2) you can swipe apps up to close them.

Yeah, this. I would try this before the restart too, since I'm not sure restarting closes recent apps?

Alternatively, you could always try Chrome and see if it behaves any better.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

I have dark mode in gmail, maybe they are rolling it out in random batches?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

withak posted:

Oh of course they are 🙄 because why the hell not.

Is it enabled in the settings? I just want to triple check I’m not missing it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Pancakes -> Settings -> Theme

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

withak posted:

Pancakes -> Settings -> Theme

Yup no luck for me.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Sux 2 b u

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Go refresh the App Store like 5 times because it’s 2019 and automatic updates still don’t work right.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

withak posted:

Sux 2 b u

Google sucks.

Also speaking of google why does google sheets drop out of memory so quickly? I can have a sheet open lock my phone and when I come back I need to reload the drat program.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

withak posted:

Probably. It's likely done server-side since that's how Google rolls.

I don't have it either, but I use Spark, anyway, which just got dark mode.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Google sucks.

Also speaking of google why does google sheets drop out of memory so quickly? I can have a sheet open lock my phone and when I come back I need to reload the drat program.

iOS 13 has changed some internals of how apps can run in the background, and at the same time clamped down on some aspects of you don’t do things by the book. Previously you could have got away with technically buggy code where now iOS will force-close even the active app after 30 seconds of the screen being locked.

I had the same problem in an app I’m responsible for and it was a PITA to diagnose but a very simple fix once I found the problem. I’m not surprised it might be lurking in an app the scale of Google Sheets.

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:
Not having dark mode for gmail on iOS is pretty common. Their support forums have a few threads on it.

Apparently, as of 11/22, it’s “taking longer than expected for iOS.”

https://support.google.com/mail/thread/17162631?hl=en

Sucks. I put my gmail accounts in Outlook temporarily.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Froist posted:

I’m not surprised it might be lurking in an app the scale of Google Sheets.
According to my use of my iPad, it lurks in Safari. And YouTube. And Mail.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Froist posted:

iOS 13 has changed some internals of how apps can run in the background, and at the same time clamped down on some aspects of you don’t do things by the book. Previously you could have got away with technically buggy code where now iOS will force-close even the active app after 30 seconds of the screen being locked.

I had the same problem in an app I’m responsible for and it was a PITA to diagnose but a very simple fix once I found the problem. I’m not surprised it might be lurking in an app the scale of Google Sheets.

Thanks. It just seems to be the worst of the bunch of all my apps.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Rye Bread posted:

Apparently, as of 11/22, it’s “taking longer than expected for iOS.”
Which confuses the hell out of me, cuz apparently it works for the people who won the dice-roll to let them have the option to enable it.

Not like Google are super invested in making their Gmail app any good anyway. It's nearly 2020 and the iPad app can still only be run in full-screen.

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends

Rye Bread posted:

Sucks. I put my gmail accounts in Outlook temporarily.

Why temporarily? Ever since my work got O365 I've used the Outlook app for gmail and I like it. It's been a long while since I've used the gmail app, what does it have that I'm missing?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

MarcusSA posted:

Aw yiss. You’ll be pleased to know I already screencapped the best part of that movies IMDb entry so you don’t need the app to bask in its gory.

https://twitter.com/chadmuskehound/status/888802795217985537

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Aw yiss. You’ll be pleased to know I already screencapped the best part of that movies IMDb entry so you don’t need the app to bask in its gory.

https://twitter.com/chadmuskehound/status/888802795217985537

Lol this is amazing thank you.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Not really sure if this is an iOS apps relevant question but it’s the closest I could think of. Ever since iOS 13 when I tell Siri to create a reminder she puts it in not my reminders list but my dinners for the week list. I’ve been having to go in and manually move it by changing list. Early on I thought this was a beta issue but it has persisted and I’m wondering if I am missing some default list setting somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:

manwithoutskin posted:

Why temporarily? Ever since my work got O365 I've used the Outlook app for gmail and I like it. It's been a long while since I've used the gmail app, what does it have that I'm missing?

I’d switch completely, but my company email is O365 as well. I can’t seem to figure out how to turn badge counts off for the gmail accounts only. I think it’s all or nothing.