Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

simplefish posted:

Oh wow, yeah, you can add one comma and change it entirely

I'd like to thank my parents, Ayn Rand and God.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shai‐hulud is ready to take you to your plane.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Shai‐hulud is ready to take you to your plane.

Board without rhythm.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Just lmao at simply trusting a rampie, who you don’t know personally and well, to do their job properly.

To be fair, we have rampies I’d trust with my life, so it’s not an across-the-board problem, but I’ve run into enough people who are just staggeringly loving stupid that, if I don’t know you personally, I assume you’re a fuckup and I will double-check your work. One of our current rampies deserves a massive raise and the other has left fuel caps off repeatedly and most recently filled our yellow jerrycan* with Avgas for gently caress knows what reason.

Yellow is diesel-only in Canada, I don’t know if that’s a common thing worldwide but it’s something you should loving well know if you work here.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 2, 2019

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My connecting flight from PDX->SFO tomorrow has the seat selection as “GATE” so how hosed am I (this is united)?

Any good food at portland airport?

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
First I thought the rampie's story of repeatedly asking if the pilot wants jet fuel is obvious bullshit rear end-covering, but I actually believe it. Some people are so amazingly unaware and self-centered that it could be the case that the pilot just heard "blah blah fuel?" (in the middle of some other thing he was doing) and gave off an annoyed "yeah," and when the ramper tried to confirm "but blah blah fuel blah?" and the pilot (in a feedback loop of annoyance-caused sensory shutdown) fired back an even harsher "yes!" [just do your goddamn single simple task job!] which was enough confirmation, and obviously the pilot knows what kind of fuel his plane takes.

Reminds me of when my boss hung up on a voice mail the second half of which was me putting in my 2 weeks notice, and found out by me refusing a trip outside of that window.

vessbot fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 2, 2019

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

priznat posted:

https://pdx.eater.com/2016/5/24/11762184/portland-international-airport-restaurants-pdx

The rotating food carts outside security might have something good.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

As someone with a fair amount of time in a PC12, short of an engine failure, I’m not sure how you gently caress up that badly in a PC12.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

vessbot posted:

First I thought the rampie's story of repeatedly asking if the pilot wants jet fuel is obvious bullshit rear end-covering, but I actually believe it. Some people are so amazingly unaware and self-centered that it could be the case that the pilot just heard "blah blah fuel?" (in the middle of some other thing he was doing) and gave off an annoyed "yeah," and when the ramper tried to confirm "but blah blah fuel blah?" and the pilot (in a feedback loop of annoyance-caused sensory shutdown) fired back an even harsher "yes!" [just do your goddamn single simple task job!] which was enough confirmation, and obviously the pilot knows what kind of fuel his plane takes.

Reminds me of when my boss hung up on a voice mail the second half of which was me putting in my 2 weeks notice, and found out by me refusing a trip outside of that window.

Yes, I should say that, as much as I’ve encountered dreadful rampies, I’ve absolutely encountered worse pilots. rampies never take an attitude, I’ve seen some pilots come in and act in such a poo poo fashion I’d forgive almost any slight against them.

I trust no one anymore. I don’t give a gently caress, I sample the tank and check the caps every single loving time.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

e.pilot posted:

As someone with a fair amount of time in a PC12, short of an engine failure, I’m not sure how you gently caress up that badly in a PC12.

You instructed, does it honestly surprise you? The intersection of “moron” and “extremely rich” is more than large enough to account for this.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

priznat posted:

My connecting flight from PDX->SFO tomorrow has the seat selection as “GATE” so how hosed am I (this is united)?
RIP

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

God drat it :negative:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

priznat posted:

How white‐passing are you?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PT6A posted:

You instructed, does it honestly surprise you? The intersection of “moron” and “extremely rich” is more than large enough to account for this.

I meant that more rhetorically, I mean look at how many fairly critical fuckups ol’ Jerry managed to make before he even got off the SID as pilot monitoring in one.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

priznat posted:

You’ll just get assigned a seat at the gate for whatever reason. United is literally retarded.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Platystemon posted:

How white‐passing are you?

Extremely mayo-inclined

e.pilot posted:

You’ll just get assigned a seat at the gate for whatever reason. United is literally retarded.

Here's hoping.. I was under the impression that it's basically standby in all but name, ie flight is oversold bigtime.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

The last time i had that happen it was because they wanted to assign me to an exit row seat, and having you check in at the desk means the gate agent can ensure you aren't in a wheelchair and can understand English.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

MRC48B posted:

The last time i had that happen it was because they wanted to assign me to an exit row seat, and having you check in at the desk means the gate agent can ensure you aren't in a wheelchair and can understand English.

I’d be cool with that, I love the little bit of extra room on exit rows!

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

There’s something deeply ironic upon seeing “Proudly All Boeing” stenciled on the Alaska 737 next to the Alaska A320 I’m boarding

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Re jet fuel talk, I've filled a couple of turbine craft that did not have Hoover nozzle compatible fillers. The pilot, the filler, and the engine all said jet fuel though so I was able to be pretty sure of myself.

Which brings up another point, I don't remember for sure if it's required to have fuel type placarded on your filler for part 91, and placards wear off relatively easy, but it's also super cheap to just replace them and make sure they're legible.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

PT6A posted:

Yellow is diesel-only in Canada, I don’t know if that’s a common thing worldwide but it’s something you should loving well know if you work here.
In the US I haven't been able to find a nationwide standard, but California requires that gasoline containers be red, diesel yellow, and kerosene blue so that's generally followed in the rest of the country, at least as far as what the containers will be labeled for in stores.

I see blue containers used for non-kerosene things all the time (most frequently water) and occasionally something other than gasoline in a red one, but yellow being only for diesel seems to be pretty well respected.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I can't decide if this is clickbait or just weird: C-130s to plant a billion trees

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

e.pilot posted:

edit: After re-reading this it seems like they departed in a snowstorm with no ground de-icing. I was thinking it was something similar to the 2011 TBM crash in NJ.

sanchez fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 2, 2019

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

sanchez posted:

edit: After re-reading this it seems like they departed in a snowstorm with no ground de-icing. I was thinking it was something similar to the 2011 TBM crash in NJ.

frost on the wings is actually the same as vortex generators and lowers your stall speed :pseudo:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Yep. I got autocorrected.

This is probably Silicon Valley’s strategy to defeat labor organization. Our devices will just keep autocorrecting it to “Onion”.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nebakenezzer posted:

I can't decide if this is clickbait or just weird: C-130s to plant a billion trees

It's mostly just very old, look at the published date. Well done Guardian for not making old content look weird and incompatible I guess.

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

Nebakenezzer posted:

Stocking lakes with fish can be done from the air too!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

quote:

An idea, originally from a former RAF pilot, Jack Walters, of Bridgnorth, Shropshire, has been developed by the US manufacturer Lockheed Martin Aerospace so that 900,000 young trees can be planted in a day.

Doesn’t sound too impressive, you could probably fit that many seeds in a single f-104.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Phanatic posted:

Doesn’t sound too impressive, you could probably fit that many seeds in a single f-104.

yeah, but don't you want to plant them in more than one field?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Ooof!

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Sagebrush posted:

You want an F-16 instead. Unless urban reforestation is your thing, houses, warehouses and the occasional canyon, we've got you covered.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SeaborneClink posted:

You want an F-16 instead. Unless urban reforestation is your thing, houses, warehouses and the occasional canyon, we've got you covered.

They have a bad record vs trees
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i7rVD8kRFU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

:kiss:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

A pretty good record of planting themselves and payload into the ground though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phanatic posted:

Muntingia calabura seeds are five to a milligram.

That’s ten billion on an F‐104S.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Beavers can be airdropped too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrHPJ-A7QTQ

moparacker
May 8, 2007

Airdropped turkeys? Not so much....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGFtV6-ALoQ

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

That aircraft wore green for a while. Now belongs to Indonesia.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'm no military expert, so I'm curious: what is this "piece thyme" he mentions at 4:40? i'm unfamiliar with this terminology

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It's a relic from the 90s; obsolete and long gone.