Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Superman should just make yellow suns everywhere like some sort of cosmic Johnny Appleseed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Why doesn't the yellow sun gently caress up Green Lantern?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It is. He's going to die of skin cancer.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
The yellow sun turned the green lantern into a child molester.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Green Lantern is over that weakness, but for Superman it was just the type of radiation, not the color. Of course, you're probably just being funny. But still! :eng101:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Random Stranger posted:

Superman flew through Rao, the red sun of Krypton, in the last issue of Infinite Crisis. It's okay that you don't remember this because nobody should remember Infinite Crisis.

Remember that dumb thing Neil Gaiman did where one of the Endless convinced a depressed Rao to explode and destroy Krypton so Superman could be depressed that he's the last survivor? And later on it turns out that depressed star is super duper important because it infected all the other stars and convinced them to end the universe? Or something like that. I don't remember Sandman Overture all that much, because it felt to me like Gaiman was pandering to his fanbase too much.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Gologle posted:

Remember that dumb thing Neil Gaiman did where one of the Endless convinced a depressed Rao to explode and destroy Krypton so Superman could be depressed that he's the last survivor? And later on it turns out that depressed star is super duper important because it infected all the other stars and convinced them to end the universe? Or something like that. I don't remember Sandman Overture all that much, because it felt to me like Gaiman was pandering to his fanbase too much.

To be fair I'd probably want to explode too if a late-period Neil Gaiman character started talking at me.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I seem to remember that Superman sometimes used this to get past red sun systems while travelling:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermobile

Yes, a rocket car with fists, powered by him.

Always wondered why Amazo didn't just die laughing when Supes first used it against him.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Random Stranger posted:

Superman flew through Rao, the red sun of Krypton, in the last issue of Infinite Crisis. It's okay that you don't remember this because nobody should remember Infinite Crisis.

Didn't he also fly through a red sun while fighting Superboy Prime? And then they landed on that planet Green Lantern?

Binary Badger posted:

I seem to remember that Superman sometimes used this to get past red sun systems while travelling:

Always wondered why Amazo didn't just die laughing when Supes first used it against him.

Remember reading that in the dentist's office. :allears:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

site posted:

If superman flies in space between the stellar trajectory of multiple red stars does he stop being able to fly and die from exposure to vacuum
I thought if he's flying interstellar distances he gives the fabric of reality a kick in the balls and uses Hyperspace like in Star Control 2, probably including intercepting crystal things he has to punch. Something like that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Binary Badger posted:

I owned this toy and loved it but it's hilarious in retrospect that I'd fly Superman through the air inside of it, then have it land, Superman get out and... fly away by himself to have an adventure, without really thinking about how redundant that was :sweatdrop:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

New Leaf posted:

Green Lantern is over that weakness, but for Superman it was just the type of radiation, not the color. Of course, you're probably just being funny. But still! :eng101:

not to get too science-y, but isn't radiation type determined by wavelength, which in visible light, determines its color? :goonsay:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

hiddenriverninja posted:

not to get too science-y, but isn't radiation type determined by wavelength, which in visible light, determines its color? :goonsay:

Yes, but that means, that it's not determined by the color. Also it's a bit more complicated than that. Depending on the structure of the star, the color might be similar while the radiation differs. For example, if the star pulses.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yellow light is different than a yellow object.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

"Duh all Superman has to do is carry a sun lamp with him and shine it on himself when he's under a red sun bing bong so simple"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Superman can't come out and fight Amazo, he has seasonal affective disorder.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Lurdiak posted:

Superman can't come out and fight Amazo, he has seasonal affective disorder.
And Guy Gardner won't give back the lamp until after the Motorhead show!

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Its almost as if "too stubborn to give up" is a common hero stereotype :thunk:
or just the standard definition of a hero

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

InsertPotPun posted:

or just the standard definition of a hero

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

That's loving rad, but why was Colossus and his sister what's-her-face trying to beat up Spider-Man?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

New Leaf posted:

That's loving rad, but why was Colossus and his sister what's-her-face trying to beat up Spider-Man?

Possessed by the Phoenix Force

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

New Leaf posted:

They were hosting parts of the Phoenix Force, because reasons. (Dumb reasons.)

(His sister's name is Illyana.)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
The Phoenix Force isn't really very nice, it turns out

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Hopped up on goofballs.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

prefect posted:

ILLyana is also her MC name

Comin' straight outta Moscow

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Also they were very successful in beating up Spider-Man. Lots of people are.

Spider-Man being the best at it.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

prefect posted:

Literally the only semi good thing to come out of that cluster eff was that panel where you can say, Peter Parker beat the Phoenix force be talking it to death (admittedly stolen quote from here)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Push El Burrito posted:

Also they were very successful in beating up Spider-Man. Lots of people are.

Spider-Man being the best at it.

spider-man is the ricky morton of comic books

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
The whole sequence is actually pretty good.

Avengers vs. X-Men #9 (2012)

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Toshimo posted:

Avengers vs X-Men, or as I like to call it The Character Assassination of Cyclops by the Coward Brian Michael Bendis :colbert:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

jng2058 posted:

Avengers vs X-Men, or as I like to call it The Character Assassination of Cyclops by the Coward Brian Michael Bendis :colbert:

The lead up to the forced confrontation was just dumb and out of character for most of the heroes.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The AvX companion series that was just a series of dumb fights was even worse somehow.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Toshimo posted:

drat, the punch (and the face caving in) in the last panel of page 5 is just gnarly

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Thanks for that - I don't actively follow many comics these days, just like to look at badassery!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Mooseontheloose posted:

Literally the only semi good thing to come out of that cluster eff was that panel where you can say, Peter Parker beat the Phoenix force be talking it to death (admittedly stolen quote from here)

He also gave Hope the Great Power Comes Great Responsibility stuff. This was done better when he tried it with Franklin Richards and Ben immediately picked him up and set him aside because that kid is NOT ready to deal with that much responsibility.

Edit:

I will always laugh at Spider-Man just dangling in the air, still sitting.

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 2, 2019

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mooseontheloose posted:

Crab whales

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Was the 'X-Men vs Phoenix-Infused Juggernaut' sequence from that or a different storyline?

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Polaron posted:

Was the 'X-Men vs Phoenix-Infused Juggernaut' sequence from that or a different storyline?

That was Fear Itself.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
And he wasn't infused with the Phoenix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Yeah, he was one of "The Worthy"