Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Tei posted:

I imagine the people here have no interest in good news about Streaming, only bad news even if are fabricated.

My problem with Stadia is that has made me worse has videogames, playing Stadia is ok, but trying to play a console game after playing Stadia, I have noticed that my movement skills are worse. It seems the lag in streaming mess with muscle memory.

Heres the oneline to copy & paste to your articles and youtube videos:
Playing Stadia make you worse at videogames.

This is why it's important for big fighting game tournaments to suss out what platform they're playing on early, so people can practice with the correct timing. When USF4 launched on PS4 and was glitchy, even though they actually fixed it pretty quickly, Evo officials immediately met when it launched and declared they'd be sticking with the 360 version for its upcoming tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

...! posted:

Oh, then Stadia really isn't for you. NBA 2k20 forces you to wait while it downloads and installs ( to where?? :confused: ) an update file every time you launch the game. :allears:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stadia/comments/e28tz1/can_someone_explain_why_i_have_game_updates_on/
lol, loving seriously? This is literally just the worst of every world, isn't it.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

I remember trying out onlive a zillion years ago and while my connection was too crummy to get a higher quality stream that ui seemed slick as far as I can remember

how’s stadia so bad

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

"I'll be posting updates to this thread as they come in."

*crickets*

Also google now has a store page up for their controller phone mount, $15 for a plain piece of plastic with no adjustment and not even a throw-in cable to make it work. It's made for the pixel phone and nothing else, so I guess google isn't planning a wide rollout to other phones any time soon.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:

limaCAT posted:

The difference is that at the time Project Stream was just a curiosity and "you had to be there", now Stadia is a product.

Xcloud is not a product, yet - which was specifically your comparison

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

hostile apostle posted:

Really? I've been playing video games with it, and it works as advertised. What makes a product a product?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

hostile apostle posted:

It’s a beta, something google should probably have used here, too.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

hostile apostle posted:

Considering the extreme lack of features and limitations on how it can currently be used, I think it's fair to say Stadia's a beta in all but name.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
People have been calling it basically a beta you have to pay for.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Really? I've been playing video games with it, and it works as advertised. What makes a product a product?

It's not publicly available as a product anyone can purchase/get into.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Most people would just call that "a product that is still in development" rather than not a product at all.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

I think the "beta" tag fell out of favor with Google after they were endlessly mocked for letting GMail linger in beta for like a decade.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

All future Google products should be referred to as Vault Tests as they are basically short social experiments designed for failure.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Lambert posted:

It's not publicly available as a product anyone can purchase/get into.

Yes it is. It's an open, public beta. Much like Stadia, except they don't expect you to pay them to test their poo poo.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Cardiovorax posted:

Most people would just call that "a product that is still in development" rather than not a product at all.

That's a heck of a red text lol

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Yes it is. It's an open, public beta. Much like Stadia, except they don't expect you to pay them to test their poo poo.

Didn't realize this, thought it was still invitation only.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Review:

Tomb Raider ( free this month), stelar on Stadia, looks and feel amazing. Runs great.

Farm Simulator 19 ( free this month). The compression hates this hate, but you only get some questionable graphics in some areas, in general looks gorgeous, exactly how you imagine a Farm Simulator would look like.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Tei posted:

in general looks gorgeous, exactly how you imagine a Farm Simulator would look like.

thread title

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Klyith posted:

Also google now has a store page up for their controller phone mount, $15 for a plain piece of plastic with no adjustment and not even a throw-in cable to make it work. It's made for the pixel phone and nothing else, so I guess google isn't planning a wide rollout to other phones any time soon.

https://twitter.com/9to5Google/status/1197181678743097349

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
A mail came in

google posted:

Final Reminder: Download your Google Fusion Tables data and migrate your maps

Good to know, even if I never used the Google Docs Fusion Tables.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Klyith posted:

They truly are mentally challenged. What that page says...

quote:

Connect the Stadia™ Controller and a wide range of phone models¹ securely for on the go game play.

quote:

¹Stadia is compatible with Pixel 3, Pixel 3 XL, Pixel 3a, Pixel 3a XL, Pixel 4, and Pixel 4 XL devices.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

extremely :stadia:

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

¹Stadia is compatible with Pixel 3, Pixel 3 XL, Pixel 3a, Pixel 3a XL, Pixel 4, and Pixel 4 XL devices.

In awe of the wideness of that range.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I just found out that with the new Steam Link software, I can use any and all of my Android devices in combination with my new Steam controller to play my entire installed library anywhere in my home whenever the hell I feel like it. Stadia can go suck it with its wide range of five entire supported devices.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

I just found out that with the new Steam Link software, I can use any and all of my Android devices in combination with my new Steam controller to play my entire installed library anywhere in my home whenever the hell I feel like it. Stadia can go suck it with its wide range of five entire supported devices.

Ceptin even though it's on home network it's got lots of instability and poo poo.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Next generation is off to a good start :allears:

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

tater_salad posted:

Ceptin even though it's on home network it's got lots of instability and poo poo.

I use it all the time at home and it's basically indistinguishable from playing on the actual PC. There are a couple seconds worth of stutter per hour and that's it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

tater_salad posted:

Haven't noticed any yet, but if it's anything like Steam Remote Play, I'm guessing it's mostly a matter of connection quality. Still makes it better than Stadia at an additional cost of nothing at all.

VVV The biggest difference would be that you don't need a strong internet connection, just a strong local network. 100 Mbit local Wifi once is way cheaper than 100 Mbit downstream internet every month.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 2, 2019

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Steamlink works great in the situations that Stadia would work great, so.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

:piss: but with Google

Go go Google Stadia <lags out> I'll get you next time, Claw!

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 2, 2019

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

gschmidl posted:

:piss: but with Google

Go go Google Stadia <lags out> I'll get you next time, Claw!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The worst of the Stadia ads is the short one with the obnoxious bearded guy saying "STADIA DOESN'T TAKE UP SPACE" and then goes to destroy that couple's Xbox. That couple had a lot of room in their apartment, they did a poor job of communicating physical space being an issue.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Bulgakov posted:

I remember trying out onlive a zillion years ago and while my connection was too crummy to get a higher quality stream that ui seemed slick as far as I can remember

how’s stadia so bad

I talked about this in my first post in this thread; basically, given where Onlive was at (in terms of game library and features) several years ago when Sony bought it makes the Stadia launch that much more atrocious. And if I remember correctly Onlive had some free games as part of a subscription too, and I think you could also link your Steam account and stream all of the games you already owned like GeForce Now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cardiovorax posted:

Why would you willingly subject yourself to a trackpad over a thumbstick? :ohdear:.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Haven't noticed any yet, but if it's anything like Steam Remote Play, I'm guessing it's mostly a matter of connection quality. Still makes it better than Stadia at an additional cost of nothing at all.

UpVVV The biggest difference would be that you don't need a strong internet connection, just a strong local network. 100 Mbit local Wifi once is way cheaper than 100 Mbit downstream internet every month.

I get 130mb/s on both devices online.. but steam streaming seems to be kind of assy in a 30 min session of 7d2d I get more poor connection indicators than I've experienced with Stadia in a 30-60 min session.

Granted I'm usually pausing Stadia a bit more than when I'm doing 7d2d...

I mean Stadia has its many many issues but in my experience even poo poo like gauntlet when my desktop was wired in and my steam link was 50 ft away in the same room I still saw issues with lag.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 3, 2019

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Cardiovorax posted:

VVV The biggest difference would be that you don't need a strong internet connection, just a strong local network. 100 Mbit local Wifi once is way cheaper than 100 Mbit downstream internet every month.

I've had a lot less trouble with Stadia than I did with Steamlink - Steamlink is always a bit unreliable for me.

Stadia has worked pretty well for me, though I've got gigabit and I'm plugged into the Chromecast I've been using.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Why would you willingly subject yourself to a trackpad over a thumbstick? :ohdear:.

because it cost five dollars

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Detective No. 27 posted:

The worst of the Stadia ads is the short one with the obnoxious bearded guy saying "STADIA DOESN'T TAKE UP SPACE" and then goes to destroy that couple's Xbox. That couple had a lot of room in their apartment, they did a poor job of communicating physical space being an issue.

Where are the ads playing, are they online only?

I was in the project stream beta but the only reason I know stadia exists is because I post on SA and read gaming websites. I've not seen a proper ad for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

cubicle gangster posted:

Where are the ads playing, are they online only?

I was in the project stream beta but the only reason I know stadia exists is because I post on SA and read gaming websites. I've not seen a proper ad for it.

Might be targetted but I have gotten a couple on YouTube. Not many but a couple.