Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/12/02/starship-troopers-is-getting-another-rts-spinoff-called-terran-command/

This counts.

e: re the trailer, one the one hand slitherine actually did a trailer that shows the game rather than a series of historical images with music, but like everything they do it's a trailer from the 90's that just shows off the graphics engine (not a good idea when you are way behind your competitors on that front) and nothing resembling actual gameplay. It looks real time but without having read anything I wouldn't be surprised if it were turn based.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Ethiopia could actually be pretty workable. The only tank they really have access to before the 70s is the Walker Bulldog but I guess Kenya only gets the Comet before then so it'll be fairly balanced.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Alchenar posted:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/12/02/starship-troopers-is-getting-another-rts-spinoff-called-terran-command/

This counts.

e: re the trailer, one the one hand slitherine actually did a trailer that shows the game rather than a series of historical images with music, but like everything they do it's a trailer from the 90's that just shows off the graphics engine (not a good idea when you are way behind your competitors on that front) and nothing resembling actual gameplay. It looks real time but without having read anything I wouldn't be surprised if it were turn based.

Count me in if this is a They Are Billions clone.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

So reading through this thread over Thanksgiving inspired me to pick up a couple of games during the Steam sale. I now own Fields of Glory 2, which I’ve already played a bunch of and absolutely love. And Operational Art of War 4, which I’m kind of terrified to start but had the steambux for and took the plunge. Anybody have any advice for someone just starting it? Is advice even needed? Am I just being a big scared baby over all the counters and symbols I don’t know?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

A Real Horse posted:

So reading through this thread over Thanksgiving inspired me to pick up a couple of games during the Steam sale. I now own Fields of Glory 2, which I’ve already played a bunch of and absolutely love. And Operational Art of War 4, which I’m kind of terrified to start but had the steambux for and took the plunge. Anybody have any advice for someone just starting it? Is advice even needed? Am I just being a big scared baby over all the counters and symbols I don’t know?

Well in any grognard game you're going to be overwhelmed at first. What you have to do is just start pushing counters around, and you'll be totally absorbed before you know it. I mean, you can always restart the scenario if you gently caress everything up

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

One annoying rule of thumb with this genre is that the more complex a game is, the longer the manual tends to be and yet the less the developer will explain how the game system actually works. You just have to mess about and see how things happen when you push buttons.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Somebody did a proper tutorial writeup for TOAW4 in this thread, but I don’t remember what page

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Pirate Radar posted:

Somebody did a proper tutorial writeup for TOAW4 in this thread, but I don’t remember what page

This is also a fairly good writeup for new players I saw on the Matrix forums

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11GMVwu9JQNDuQakTIE_K-E4x0-6uvvWn/view

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

That was gradenko, and it's the same tutorial he posted in this thread!

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Lum_ posted:

This is also a fairly good writeup for new players I saw on the Matrix forums

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11GMVwu9JQNDuQakTIE_K-E4x0-6uvvWn/view

This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks a ton.

Looking forward to getting my own units killed over and over again, and then slowly less so.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
https://twitter.com/CavasShips/status/1201697577747591168

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Ethiopia could actually be pretty workable. The only tank they really have access to before the 70s is the Walker Bulldog but I guess Kenya only gets the Comet before then so it'll be fairly balanced.

If you're adding Ethiopia, Eritrea and Somalia are also logical to toss in

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

sum posted:

If you're adding Ethiopia, Eritrea and Somalia are also logical to toss in

I'd consider Somalia but the problem with Eritrea is the time they were a separate, recognized nation would be a grand total of like, three years in the timeframe I'm working with.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I'd consider Somalia but the problem with Eritrea is the time they were a separate, recognized nation would be a grand total of like, three years in the timeframe I'm working with.

Yeah I guess Eritrea would make more sense as the ELF/EPLF, but sources on their equipment seem pretty sparse and they'd probably come out being pretty generic "guerilla infantry" anyway

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Maybe you could do Angola, then there would be an opportunity for both western and Warsaw pact involvement.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah I was avoiding Angola specifically because of the whole aforementioned being tired of Apartheid South Africa in wargames thing what with them as the logical opponent.

That being said down the line I was thinking of doing something like the generic RedFor that exists in SPMBT that would be able to encompass various militias, rebel groups, etc...

To be honest, there's a bunch of more major players I'd really like to do but I don't want to start yet in case the next DLC just does most of it for me (Sweden, Denmark, Canada, Czechoslovakia, North and South Korea, etc...). I was also thinking it might be fun to eventually do some sort of fictional nations since the editor is pretty drat flexible. Either way that's all long term plans, but hey who knows how fast that'll come. Every time I take a break from this I keep coming back since for whatever reason I've been finding modding surprisingly relaxing.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I was also thinking it might be fun to eventually do some sort of fictional nations since the editor is pretty drat flexible.

That could be really cool, maybe some alt-history stuff like China, except the KMT won, or Republican Spain with Soviet equipment vs France. Even a western-aligned Poland vs Soviets could be cool. Maybe the Allies got to Berlin first and liberated Warsaw or something.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Dramicus posted:

That could be really cool, maybe some alt-history stuff like China, except the KMT won, or Republican Spain with Soviet equipment vs France. Even a western-aligned Poland vs Soviets could be cool. Maybe the Allies got to Berlin first and liberated Warsaw or something.

That and I was playing old school Command and Conquer the other day and realized there was no reason I couldn't make a goddamn realistic Mammoth Tank :getin:

But yeah something like what you said, or that there's a whole bunch of "what if" vehicle projects that could provide some realistic, fun alternatives. Like what if the US actually mass produced and improved the T95 tank because said western-aligned Poland wanted to buy it as export? There's some nifty options that wouldn't have to go into the realm of sci-fi.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I was also thinking it might be fun to eventually do some sort of fictional nations since the editor is pretty drat flexible. Either way that's all long term plans, but hey who knows how fast that'll come. Every time I take a break from this I keep coming back since for whatever reason I've been finding modding surprisingly relaxing.

The lizard people from Harry turtledoves godawful world war series.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Another possibility that would give me something to start from, brainstorming-wise, is the nations from the Hearts of Iron 2 Abyss scenario:

https://hoi2.paradoxwikis.com/Armageddon

Basically they parcelled out territory to make 18 balanced nations for MP but ended up with some cool things like a combined Canada/Northern US, a fascist Confederate state that conquered Mexico, a Pan-African communist superstate, and a resurgent Bourbon monarchy in France/Spain.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Armored Brigade: Kaiserreich!

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

...Yeah I think I'm going to get sidetracked for a little bit once I'm done this next version.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
so how about that strategic command: ww1 that came out yesterday. Any good?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

how do I get started with wite? is there any good guide online or should I just binge the manual

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BBJoey posted:

how do I get started with wite? is there any good guide online or should I just binge the manual

gradenko_2000 posted:

and here's my tutorial for learning how to play War in the East:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YNjoPLCe3X75-mKAl124L24f4ZKVnjfq

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Awesome, cheers.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Anyone interested in PBEM Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I'm interested.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

So the last battle of Ultimate General: Civil War as the CSA sure is something.

It has you attack Washington, storm its half dozen forts, then defend those same forts the next day against an enormous US counterattack. Unfortunately for me the US had 90,000 more men than I did.

The first day I managed to take all the forts, but lost about 30,000 men of my 81,000 man army. I also had no idea there would be a day 2 so I thought I had won the campaign at that point. Whoops!

Day two my northern sector managed to hold, inflicting enormous casualties on the Americans. I assigned my two weakest Corps to defend the southern sector and Washington itself, since the map made it look like they'd be facing smaller Union forces. Instead I faced off against about 12 Union divisions. RIP Longstreet's Corp, literally fought to the last man trying to hold one of the forts. Farragut, likewise managed to lose his entire Corp, but held the city of Washington itself with just his staff, every other unit having been destroyed or fled the field.

This loss also ends the campaign in a defeat. I could go back and try again, but I feel making a last-stand in Washington itself is a good way to end things, so I'll just leave it at that.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Did they ever fix the thing in Civil War were no matter how many casualties you inflicted on the other side they'd come back with more troops on the campaign map?

If I remember right, it actually hurt you more in the long run to inflict higher casualties.

Popete fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 8, 2019

dogsarentdangerous
Aug 11, 2008
Ultimate general civil war's campaign is very much a "game" rather than a simulation. Its still a very fun game though I think.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

dogsarentdangerous posted:

Ultimate general civil war's campaign is very much a "game" rather than a simulation. Its still a very fun game though I think.

Absolutely not. If I am not commanding barefoot and foot sore subsisting on green corn and rancid bacon Confederates outnumbered two to one or greater almost everywhere, then it cannot be a ‘fun’ game.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Can you imagine reconstruction in a USA where the CSA had taken DC, and then spent two entire corps in brutal defense of the city, while causing the Union to take 90k casualties retaking it?

:stonklol:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I think that's a reality where there's butternut hanging from every tree south of the Mason-Dixon line. We're probably better off without that.

As someone suggested elsewhere, I'd love to see some alt-hist fiction where we didn't gently caress up Reconstruction.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I do hate how Civil War feels like playing against the weak scenario design compared to Gettysburg. Everything feels better about it, except the horrible scripting of each scenario.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I was annoyed by that too. I ended up stopping my Union campaign after I fought off the Confederate attack on Washington and it said "now, the Confederates have another >50,000 men from somewhere, go attack that hill they're on"

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I do hate how Civil War feels like playing against the weak scenario design compared to Gettysburg. Everything feels better about it, except the horrible scripting of each scenario.

Yeah that was my feeling too - everything about the combat system is generally slightly better, but the scenario design is worse as a result of wanting to fit the whole war in. Gettysburg is proof that you can focus on one battle and get all the content you need out of it.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Thankfully UG:CW also comes with a bunch of historical scenarios to play so if you just want the new combat model without the campaign stuff it’s worth picking up on sale

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
It was a hell of a thing when I got to the first day of Gettsyburg in the campaign and I murdered every single confederate unit that came over the map edge with a seething death ball of Cav armed with breechloaders. They weren't even part of my army, they were just the event troops they gave you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

ElBrak posted:

It was a hell of a thing when I got to the first day of Gettsyburg in the campaign and I murdered every single confederate unit that came over the map edge with a seething death ball of Cav armed with breechloaders. They weren't even part of my army, they were just the event troops they gave you.

This is why, with some exceptions like multiplayer, I almost always play Confederates in ACW games (that and, to my shame, my family fought for the South in the ACW.)

ACW games are notoriously hard to balance as, on paper, federal forces almost always have a significant advantage whether you are playing a tactical, operational, or the strategic level.