Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

You can semi reliably buy Gauss rifles and double heat sinks in the systems with star league remnants, I am not sure where one would get that many ++ damage snub nosed PPCs though, I have literally seen a total of maybe four snub nosed PPCs for sale in my campaign full stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I steal the DHS off the Griffin 2N and the Bull Shark and stick them on the Warhammer and the Marauder.

Once I get a King Crab and some UAC20s I'll probably move them to that and go full :blastu:

(Yeah I could put them on the Bull Shark but it's not the same, I want my supacrab!)

e: Plus I'm probably going to stick some kind of quad UAC/LBX back on it.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 2, 2019

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Patrat posted:

You can semi reliably buy Gauss rifles and double heat sinks in the systems with star league remnants, I am not sure where one would get that many ++ damage snub nosed PPCs though, I have literally seen a total of maybe four snub nosed PPCs for sale in my campaign full stop.

That's how I found my DHS: I started going to SLDF-marked systems just to go shopping.
On a side note, I have found plenty of Snub ++ for sale in a lot of systems.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I like how the Warhammer scales up so well with tech. As you get ++ and Er ++ weapons, it just hits harder and harder. It's really a solid mech for 90% of career.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

TotalLossBrain posted:

I built something fun out of an Assassin for some of the Urban Flashpoints that have a 55t/200t drop limit.
Just a single SL, max jump jets and armor, and two meelee++ arm mods. LOL it jumps across half the map and punches for 90 DMG + 50 STB.
It's not super great, but the low drop limit missions usually have trash opfor, so....

A bit late to this party, but I've been really toying with this idea. Every time I scroll past my Assassin (which lost its COIL-L to a bad shot), I think about trying to turn it into One Punch 'Mech.

Right now I have a Wolverine filling this roll, with max armor, jumpjets, 3xSRM6, and every arm and leg mod I can cram into it. It pretty much Team Rocket's any mech in its weight class or below. Close in with jumpjets, alpha the SRMs, then run up and punch them to loving moon.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Dramicus posted:

I like how the Warhammer scales up so well with tech. As you get ++ and Er ++ weapons, it just hits harder and harder. It's really a solid mech for 90% of career.

Don't put ER lasers on your mechs.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Instead, put them on your Elementals

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Conspiratiorist posted:

They're not half bad now, especially the + variants.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Cyrano4747 posted:

The base versions are poor compared to stock lasers, and the variants are poor compared to variant standard lasers.

Only the ER SLas is worth using, and that's because it lets you use your support hardpoints at 150m.

ED: if you're hardpoint limited, ERMLs can be positive substitution for MLs to squeeze in some extra damage.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 3, 2019

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
The Snubby++ being a 60% damage increase is probably not something that will (or should) survive a balance pass. The best argument I can make to preserve it is that it's primarily a weapon that the player will use against the AI so it doesn't break anything too important if it's wildly overtuned.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Missiles are the same way and we still have the 12x6 SRMs (+66% damage) since release. Their only nerf was removing the +3 accuracy typo.

Snub PPCs having a +66% damage buff doesn't look too bad in comparison - people are only surprised because it's the first time PPC-users are fielding a competent gun as a loadout centerpiece.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 3, 2019

Caros
May 14, 2008

Conspiratiorist posted:

The base versions are poor compared to stock lasers, and the variants are poor compared to variant standard lasers.

Only the ER SLas is worth using, and that's because it lets you use your support hardpoints at 150m.

ER Meds are fairly useful on a design that is running cool that already includes mediums. Extra range which occasionally helps, and extra damage at no trade off.

In a perfect build where you have everything you possibly need, they are probably not worth it in most instances, but while you are building up they definitely have a good niche.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Cyrano4747 posted:

*shakes his head in disapproval of your inefficient playstyle*

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Taerkar posted:

*shakes his head in disapproval of your inefficient playstyle*

PPCs have an efficiency all their own
-the art of mechwar

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I love how non threatening Awesomes are

Oh no 150 damage!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

RBA Starblade posted:

It's beautiful

I wish I'd start seeing DHSes in stores but it's just Annihilator this and Atlas II that :v:

The Atlas II is full of DHS.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

RBA Starblade posted:

I love how non threatening Awesomes are

Oh no 150 damage!

Isn't the Awesome terrifying in the lore/fluff text?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

sean10mm posted:

Isn't the Awesome terrifying in the lore/fluff text?

It's a loving monster in TT at the 3025 tech level. PPCs do good damage at that era and it has enough heat sinks to keep up a regular routine of firing 3 a bit then firing 2 to cool off.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Just having an intermediate range makes a big difference for weapon effectiveness when you're using 2d6. Medium Lasers are still op in the classic game, but not every engagement is more or less limited to their range inherently.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I just want to say that, at the very last cutscene of the new mini campaign (I beat it in my first attempt of this day), I love the irony that comes from knowing quite a bit about BattleTech lore that the Draconis Combine has ordered Bob Kurita to find the Dobrev, and yet it was destroyed by the Black Widow Company. Who is, at this point in the timeline, under contract with the Draconis Combine, just like the rest of Wolf's Dragoons.

We're more reliable than one of the most reliable mercenary commands in Inner Sphere history.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Conspiratiorist posted:

I found a ER Large variant that was 50 dmg for 25 heat and weighed 4 tons. I can't see how that wouldn't put in serious work.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Conspiratiorist has videogames math brainworms, use your cool gun you found

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Q_res posted:

I found a ER Large variant that was 50 dmg for 25 heat and weighed 4 tons. I can't see how that wouldn't put in serious work.

Two stock medium lasers are 50 damage for 24 heat and weigh 2 tons. Or you could run the variant (non-er) large laser that's 50 damage for 18 height and 5 tons, and take off a heatsink for the same effective weight but still having better heat efficiency.

The issue with er stuff is that you pay in heat for the extra range, but the nature of the game is such that the extra range is not very useful.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Doesn't the game have range brackets where some stuff has an optimal/ideal range (lrms with minimum for example); so theoretically you're paying tonnage for better to-hits over longer ranges?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

TheParadigm posted:

Doesn't the game have range brackets where some stuff has an optimal/ideal range (lrms with minimum for example); so theoretically you're paying tonnage for better to-hits over longer ranges?

Yes, but the game takes place overwhelmingly at close ranges. For weapons that already have solid range profiles, you will very rarely be able to leverage the range advantage on the ER versions.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Theoretically yes but the game is so short ranged that unless youre using vision modules in the head of your mechs a medkum laser will be able to hit anything the assault mech holding it sees. Ac10s have more than double the range of a medium laser or ac20 in tt but you never actually choose the longer ranged weapon in this game because you cant see far enough to use it. See also why if you have a missile slot youre strapping srms on instead of thinking about whether to use lrms on a nondedicated LRM machine

Edit: if the vision was pushed out another 20% or so you would see the nothing but medium laser builds getting taken apart by er lasers and ppcs where the range benefit they give matters more. Especially with PPC hurting the targets accuracy and not your own unlike the ballistics

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

These are the range breakpoints that matter:

90m = Support Hardpoints; minimum LRM range with Tactics 8
*150m= Walk (melee) distance for a 55t mech on open ground
180m = Max optimal range for SRMs/MLas/AC20; also standard minimum range for LRMs but it doesn't matter much due to Tactics
270m = Max range for SRMs/MLas/AC20
*300m = Max optimal range for LLs; max default vision range

Anything past this you're better off just shooting LRMs.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 3, 2019

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Thanks!
For comparison, whats the default vision range?

Are you saying that, like, you can give a mech a long range weapon that shoots further than it can actually see and/or target?

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Psycho Landlord posted:

Conspiratiorist has videogames math brainworms, use your cool gun you found

No you see in this functionally single player game it's Very Important that your lance be competitively optimized against the trash-tier stock opfor, guns must be as good or better than medium lasers

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

TheParadigm posted:

Thanks!
For comparison, whats the default vision range?

Are you saying that, like, you can give a mech a long range weapon that shoots further than it can actually see and/or target?

It's 300m; I've edited it in.

Yes you can have weapons that shoot beyond a given mech's visual range, usually through a forward unit spotting. In TT terms, all mechs come equipped with C3 in this game.

GHOST_BUTT posted:

No you see in this functionally single player game it's Very Important that your lance be competitively optimized against the trash-tier stock opfor, guns must be as good or better than medium lasers

You're free to play however you want, but it's thoroughly unhelpful for people who might actually wish to play the game better (for whatever reason) if discussion is dominated by poo poo like "well PPCs/80 damage alpha/heat neutral/bracket build mechs work with *my* playstyle".

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 3, 2019

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Jabor posted:

The issue with er stuff is that you pay in heat for the extra range, but the nature of the game is such that the extra range is not very useful.

This is an excellent point and the fact that longer range weapons are so deprecated, by design, is one of my biggest frustrations with this game. However, I think that ER would still be quite useful on a Mech that's somewhat limited on hardpoints.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
A +20 DMG/-3T UAC/20++ in a rural Arano planet of all things (Qalzi)...

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

This sounds like an easy fix modding wise. Can you give ER weapons a spotting range bonus when equipped?

Edit: after a bit of poking around, this seems dumb

quote:

https://battletech.gamepedia.com/Scouting

Sensors are the long range detection capability of a mech. The default sensor range is 400 units and is modified by the Mech's class:

Light mechs have a 40% bonus to detection range (560 units).
Medium mechs have baseline range.
Heavy mechs have a -25% malus to sensors (300 units).
Assault mechs have the largest, -50% malus, capable of detection in a 200 unit radius - the same as spotting.

The detection range is further affected by the signature of the target. The smaller the signature, the closer the mech needs to be for sensors to pick it up.

Light mechs have a -50% bonus to signature.
Mediums enjoy a -25% modifier.
Heavies are just -10% more difficult to attack.
Assault mechs can be detected at any range within the sensor radius.

Furthermore, a shutdown mech has a -50% signature bonus.

If a mech is in sensor range, the Sensor Lock ability can be used to establish instant line of sight for one turn.

Spotting is the pilot using their Mark One Eyeball to establish line of sight with the enemy mech. The base spotting distance is 300 units and visibility is unaffected by mech class (however, light mechs have a +25% spotting range, as dedicated scouts). Shutdown or prone mechs are the only ones with a visibility bonus, being -25% harder to spot.

I think I found the culprit: Game is set up to force you into a 'light mechs are relevant as scouts!!' mentality; but the heavier stuff with the tonnage and heat capacity to carry ER guns have the -least- visibility.

Thats dumb.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 3, 2019

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

You're free to play however you want, but it's thoroughly unhelpful for people who might actually wish to play the game better (for whatever reason) if discussion is dominated by poo poo like "well PPCs/80 damage alpha/heat neutral/bracket build mechs work with *my* playstyle".

This would be a good point if this conversation hadn't been prompted by you literally going

Conspiratiorist posted:

In response to somebody not talking to you at all. Seriously I find your math useful and tend to follow your advice but you have zero ground to stand on about balancing discourse when you kramer around this thread as hard as you do.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Stuck between two legendary mech warriors? That takes some ingenuity and creative thinking since their mechs are going to be even crazier than your OPed machines.

In other words, run backwards to the bank that has some forest cover and park your rear end there. Being legends and having a burning hatred of each other they'll go at each other if your not in the way.

Tossing in some indirect fire, maybe targeting a mech of the other side when one side gets dominant and before you know it they'll be whittled down to dust.

Then it's time to heroically and bravely charge in and that's how you beat two legendary mech warriors easy peasy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Conspiratiorist posted:

ED: if you're hardpoint limited, ERMLs can be positive substitution for MLs to squeeze in some extra damage.

I'm now wanting to load up a Vulcan with as many ERSLs as will fit. They'll be firing as standard MLs at that point, won't they?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Q_res posted:

This is an excellent point and the fact that longer range weapons are so deprecated, by design, is one of my biggest frustrations with this game. However, I think that ER would still be quite useful on a Mech that's somewhat limited on hardpoints.

This is a good point, yes. ERMLs are essentially 1-ton Large Lasers so you could substitute them in where you'd ordinarily use the latter.

ERLLs in a similar role is a harder sell, however.

Psycho Landlord posted:

This would be a good point if this conversation hadn't been prompted by you literally going

In response to somebody not talking to you at all. Seriously I find your math useful and tend to follow your advice but you have zero ground to stand on about balancing discourse when you kramer around this thread as hard as you do.

People don't need anyone's permission to point out the dissemination of misleading information in the thread.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Ah yes, "This mech is cool, sometimes I put these guns on it" is very much someone arguing a new meta and trying to gaslight vulnerable new people into making Math Mistakes.

Jedit posted:

I'm now wanting to load up a Vulcan with as many ERSLs as will fit. They'll be firing as standard MLs at that point, won't they?

They have a bit less damage and range even with the quirk than a stock ML, but the difference is minuscule IME. Plus, you know, you fire them on a punch.

They won't compete with variant MLs at all though so make sure you're going for said punch at all times.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 3, 2019

PatRichCapone
Sep 24, 2003

*scoffs* *meows*

Voyager I posted:

The Snubby++ being a 60% damage increase is probably not something that will (or should) survive a balance pass. The best argument I can make to preserve it is that it's primarily a weapon that the player will use against the AI so it doesn't break anything too important if it's wildly overtuned.

Heavy Metal (career mode) is, I believe, 'victory lap' BattleTech and it's great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Atlas II is full of DHS.

Do you get the payload if you buy one with the option that gives you naked mechs on? My Atlas 1 was empty