Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Werong Bustope posted:

Godot's music in AA3 is particularly excellent.

I only got into Ace Attorney in the last year, and its soundtrack is already one of those things where it exists as a genre of music in itself to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

RagnarokAngel posted:

Put it in spoiler tags.

Think for a second about how that would work.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

food court bailiff posted:

Just like my favorite game Mobile Chili Hotspot featuring Flavor Chief.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Putting the name of the game in spoiler tags but it spoils the entire game so click at your own risk

There I thought for a second

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm glad that they did go ahead and put Peach in Mario Rabbids as a playable character. She hasn't been kidnapped or anything so there's no reason she shouldn't be playable.

Also the fact that she's another shotgun user also helps.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Peach with a Shotty? .....You have my attention.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
she’s the worst character in the game but that’s mainly because her skill set revolves around increasing survivability while the game ranks you on how fast you snuff out the opposing team

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Plus when you've got the infinitely better Rabbid Peach right there...

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

What Rabbid Peach? I just had two Peaches. I thought it was a glitch except one is infinitely better than the other at making enemies not-alive.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Also one is far sexier than the other.

(I'll leave you to figure out which one though *wink*)

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Werong Bustope posted:

Godot's music in AA3 is particularly excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMnrl0tmd3k

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The final case using the original Cornered theme from the first game for the case breaking accusation was just this super awesome touch
Also if you’re a person who loves big fucken twists with incredibly charming and likable characters, rocking music and amazing sprite graphics get yourself some Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective. Me saying there’s twists isn’t a spoiler because the entire game is a whodunnit and I cannot overstate how good the characters and music are

Calaveron has a new favorite as of 03:19 on Dec 3, 2019

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Cleretic posted:

I only got into Ace Attorney in the last year, and its soundtrack is already one of those things where it exists as a genre of music in itself to me.

Same, and I had absorbed a general impression of Ace Attorney from osmosis, but I wasn't prepared for how relentlessly charming the games are.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Also ghost trick is done by the same guy who does ace attorney and is easily twice as charming

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Really wish Ghost Trick would get a rerelease for the Switch and PC or something because it's just the best.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

MiddleOne posted:

Really wish Ghost Trick would get a rerelease for the Switch and PC or something because it's just the best.

It did come out on iOS I think recently

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Johnny Aztec posted:

Peach with a Shotty? .....You have my attention.

It's an overwatch skill being demonstrated in the video but that's exactly how her gun works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDueo2lg1WI&t=38s

Oxxidation posted:

she’s the worst character in the game but that’s mainly because her skill set revolves around increasing survivability while the game ranks you on how fast you snuff out the opposing team

True, but her gun will shred cover on basically every shot though so that's basically enough to make me overlook a lot of flaws.

Really, Rabbid Luigi doing 160 damage a slide makes him basically the most used character in the game so far for me. I never bother with his shield or rocket with how much damage he does between that and the gun.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
theHunter: Call of the Wild - for something that I expected to be a shovelware eurojank simulator, drat is it pretty. Really beautiful environments, probably the most realistic foliage I've seen in any game. Also very good bird sounds, crickets, it's really the perfect chill stroll through a forest simulator.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

grate deceiver posted:

theHunter: Call of the Wild - for something that I expected to be a shovelware eurojank simulator, drat is it pretty. Really beautiful environments, probably the most realistic foliage I've seen in any game. Also very good bird sounds, crickets, it's really the perfect chill stroll through a forest simulator.

It also has multiplayer which is really unusual for that genre.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Unperson_47 posted:

Can you hunt each other?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Hah, this sidequest in Jinx frustrated me initially but talking to the giver gives you a hint that makes it actually really fun. The idea is that a zookeeper has lost 8 animals, 4 pairs, and needs them retrieving. Normally those kinds of collectibles are either evenly split between the 3 levels, which cannot happen here as there are 8, or they are all in one level together. However in this case the animals ran off to their own habitats. The aardvarks went to the spooky levels as they like the dark, the giraffes to the water levels as they like being near water, the camels to the desert levels because of course, and the hippos are probably at the pirate level that I haven't got to yet. That's cute.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Unperson_47 posted:

XxCheneyxX has joined the game

BioEnchanted posted:

Hah, this sidequest in Jinx frustrated me initially but talking to the giver gives you a hint that makes it actually really fun. The idea is that a zookeeper has lost 8 animals, 4 pairs, and needs them retrieving. Normally those kinds of collectibles are either evenly split between the 3 levels, which cannot happen here as there are 8, or they are all in one level together. However in this case the animals ran off to their own habitats. The aardvarks went to the spooky levels as they like the dark, the giraffes to the water levels as they like being near water, the camels to the desert levels because of course, and the hippos are probably at the pirate level that I haven't got to yet. That's cute.

:3:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Re: Ghost Trick

Retro Futurist posted:

It did come out on iOS I think recently

Ages ago. Let's hope it didn't get lost in Apple's 32-bit apocalypse.
Edit: It's fine - https://toucharcade.com/2018/02/15/ghost-trick-iphone-x-ios-11/
Edit 2: The original trailer is sooo good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OxMfwK7XKM

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 10:22 on Dec 3, 2019

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.
FFXIV: In the earlier part of the game, you have dinner with an Empress where she gets poisoned and it leads to a bunch of dramatic shenanigans.

A full expansion later, you have dinner with your buddy the elf general guy. When he proposes a toast, your character gives the glasses and bottle a conspicuously long, leery stare.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

I would kill for a Switch release of Ghost Trick, I followed the LP someone did here religiously but I've never had a chance to actually play it.

I'm holding off starting the last case of AA3 because then it will be over and I don't have anything in my To Play list that scratches the same itch :smith:

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Last night I played through the Battletoads arcade game. It’s very bad and I do not recommend it, but there are a few little things that I want to mention. First, during the one vertically scrolling stage each of the toads gets a different flight-assisting backpack. Rash, the shortest one, gets two massive rockets strapped to his back (overcompensating much?). Second, there are large rat enemies and when you grab them you grab their dick and deliver several punches to their balls. Lastly, and the one that prompted this post in the first place, when playing as Zitz and pummeling an enemy on the ground, the final attack has him turn his hand into a drill which he forces into the enemy, accompanied with a geyser of blood.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Werong Bustope posted:

I'm holding off starting the last case of AA3 because then it will be over and I don't have anything in my To Play list that scratches the same itch :smith:

Yeah, hoping the second trilogy doesn't take as long.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

LawfulWaffle posted:

there are large rat enemies and when you grab them you grab their dick and deliver several punches to their balls

Sorry, you said this game was bad?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Werong Bustope posted:

Just an FYI, every single Ace Attorney game past the original trilogy is on iOS and Android (iOS has the original trilogy, but Android doesn't). While they might be pricier than you'd want, and they don't have some of the QoL changes that got back-ported to the Phoenix Wright HD collection, you can play them all on your phone.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

LawfulWaffle posted:

Last night I played through the Battletoads arcade game. It’s very bad and I do not recommend it, but there are a few little things that I want to mention. First, during the one vertically scrolling stage each of the toads gets a different flight-assisting backpack. Rash, the shortest one, gets two massive rockets strapped to his back (overcompensating much?). Second, there are large rat enemies and when you grab them you grab their dick and deliver several punches to their balls. Lastly, and the one that prompted this post in the first place, when playing as Zitz and pummeling an enemy on the ground, the final attack has him turn his hand into a drill which he forces into the enemy, accompanied with a geyser of blood.

I played this when I was a kid and haven't been able to find it since. It was gory as hell, but I don't remember it being worse than any other Battletoads game. In hindsight, they all kind of sucked.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Second Sight also has one of my favourite twists and time-fuckery.

The game starts with you waking up in a weird psychic lab, discovering that whatever weird experiments they've done have granted you psychic powers. You have flashbacks to when you were part of a spec-ops team investigating that lab. The implication being that it went tits up and you got captured and experimented on.

After the first flashback though, things get weird. You get the ability to project your consciousness back in time - you get your psychic powers in the past, and can change things to try and steer events towards a more favourable future.

When you confront the final villain you get all sorts of visions of different timelines, and come to a shocking realisation - you can't actually time travel. But you had one psychic power right from the very beginning: pre-cognition. So the entire "future" section of the game was just a vision of what would happen if you hosed up, and using the stuff you learned in them, you stop yourself ever being captured

I love time-fuckery.

Second Sight was such a great game, and it's a goddamn shame that studio closed. Between that and Timesplitters, they had a much higher batting average than most developers.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

Sorry, you said this game was bad?

PJ DiCesare has done a couple of runs of the game for GDQ, and it's pretty obvious that the game is at best unfinished. Like, the final boss has a death sequence that would be comically drawn-out if it weren't playable and require dodging the same not-very-complicated attack pattern for several minutes. It's also heavily tuned against the player, presumably to enhance its revenue-generating potential. It's possible to 1CC (win without having to buy more lives) but only if you know exactly what you're doing.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

PJ DiCesare has done a couple of runs of the game for GDQ, and it's pretty obvious that the game is at best unfinished. Like, the final boss has a death sequence that would be comically drawn-out if it weren't playable and require dodging the same not-very-complicated attack pattern for several minutes. It's also heavily tuned against the player, presumably to enhance its revenue-generating potential. It's possible to 1CC (win without having to buy more lives) but only if you know exactly what you're doing.

The game is a mess of bad design created to gobble quarters like mad. The second boss, for example, is invincible for most of the fight, and his one attack deals between 70 and 90% of your health. There are areas where enemies are dropped on you rapidly, each one doing about 20% of your health and giving you no I-frames. There are only two buttons (attack and jump) with no supers or bombs (outside of two scrolling stages) and no moves to mix up the endless combat. I put in over 50 credits trying to see the end and wound up dozing off during the final boss, coming to on the title screen. Avoid at all costs, almost zero redemptive value.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

OutOfPrint posted:

I played this when I was a kid and haven't been able to find it since. It was gory as hell, but I don't remember it being worse than any other Battletoads game. In hindsight, they all kind of sucked.

Second Sight was such a great game, and it's a goddamn shame that studio closed. Between that and Timesplitters, they had a much higher batting average than most developers.

Second Sight is a real gem of a game that deserves more love than it got at the time.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

I want to know if were thinking of the same game i dont care if i spoil a twist for myself so just hide it for the sake of others. Or pm me i dunno.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

WHAT

Elfface posted:

Give it five years, and you'll be able to get an AI trained on his voice to read anything you like.

This is the guy who included dynamic ice-cube melting based on proximity to other ice cubes and heat from bullets that pass near them on the PS2. He probably wanted to include eight different bell trinkets with different tones.

THE

Elfface posted:

Give it five years, and you'll be able to get an AI trained on his voice to read anything you like.

This is the guy who included dynamic ice-cube melting based on proximity to other ice cubes and heat from bullets that pass near them on the PS2. He probably wanted to include eight different bell trinkets with different tones.

gently caress

Elfface posted:

heat from bullets that pass near them

???

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Death Stranding little thing: The Veteran Porter side character's face model is Sam Lake (the creator of Max Payne and his original face) and all the lost cargo you pick up for him is junk food, booze, and pills. It's like Max Payne himself is giving me orders to deliver stuff for him! I don't know if this is a coincidence or what, if so it's a hell of one. Given how much Kojima adores his fellow game dev friends, it may very well be a real reference.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 18:04 on Dec 3, 2019

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

CJacobs posted:

Death Stranding little thing: The Veteran Porter side character's face model is Sam Lake (the creator of Max Payne and his original face) and all the lost cargo you pick up for him is junk food, booze, and pills. It's like Max Payne himself is giving me orders to deliver stuff for him! I don't know if this is a coincidence or what, if so it's a hell of one. Given how much Kojima adores his fellow game dev friends, it may very well be a real reference.

:aaaaa: No way that's not intentional. Probably the thing that finally kicks me over into trying it out.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Captain Hygiene posted:

:aaaaa: No way that's not intentional. Probably the thing that finally kicks me over into trying it out.

I'd say after some thought that it's absolutely on purpose. Another side character's face model is Jordan Vogt-Roberts, director of Kong: Skull Island, and one of his major deliveries is to retrieve "Giant Gorilla" and "Giant Dinosaur" action figures. :allears:

edit: There's also one who is a big name at Famitsu in real life- one of his specific deliveries is infiltrating a bandit camp to retrieve a stolen shipment of "Tactical Action Games". HMMMMM. I'm sure there are even more that I didn't recognize, pretty much all of the side characters have the faces of people Kojima is friends with irl.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 18:18 on Dec 3, 2019

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

e;f,b

Probably on purpose. The film director is the director of Kong: Skull Island and beyond film reels you also deliver gorilla figurines to him. Near him is the collector, portrayed by someone who worked for Famitsu (video game magazine). He’ll ask for classic video game consoles.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 18:23 on Dec 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There is also of course Geoff Keighly as the Ludens Fan, and pretty much all of his deliveries are literally Kojima Productions memorabilia you can buy in real life. :v: