Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Well I am complete trash at building zip-line routes. What looks good on paper gets completely hosed by line of sight and slopes. Trying to incorporate the online ziplines I think is making me use more ziplines because they're in awkward positions. Also I am learning this after I've dumped a bunch of upgrade resources into quite a few of them

Edit: I've had to dismantle 5 level 2 zips because of bad positioning. Also in the south I have like 6-8 zips I need to delete because they were spaced for level 1

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Dec 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Dismantling zips is just a sign you care

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I got rid of 3 or 4 online zips they I felt were bad enough it was worth replacing with my own.but I'm the girl who created a cross cross so I had optimal paths between all the mountain

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It took me two hours, but I finally got Weather Station onto my zip-line network. Making a speedy run from South Knot all the way up there was really satisfying... except for the part where I drove a truck to the zipline at the South Knot entrance and when I went too far away from it I lost 2000 Special Alloys and a bunch of retrieval order items :negative:

It was parked right by all the other Bridges trucks! It wasn't like it was out in the wilderness in a timefall storm

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Do zip lines disappear if they hit 0 or do they just sit there rusted

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I have to admit, at first I was down on this game. After looking into a few more sources since then I think I was putting too much stock in what the burnt-out hacks at Giant Bomb had to say, and now I'm curious: What is it going to look like when I pick this up a year and a half down the line in a sale, long after everyone else has stopped playing? Will everything be so built-up that there will be no challenge? Or will everything that was once built up by other players have degraded, assuming such a mechanic exists, so that it will be harder to traverse the terrain than it is now?

This is always the issue with single-player games that heavily feature multiplayer elements: what's it like to play years after its zeitgeist has come and gone?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Well I am complete trash at building zip-line routes. What looks good on paper gets completely hosed by line of sight and slopes. Trying to incorporate the online ziplines I think is making me use more ziplines because they're in awkward positions. Also I am learning this after I've dumped a bunch of upgrade resources into quite a few of them

Edit: I've had to dismantle 5 level 2 zips because of bad positioning. Also in the south I have like 6-8 zips I need to delete because they were spaced for level 1

Kill some network-placed bridges instead. They're each as big a sink in your network-placed allocation as they are in your own Chiral bandwidth.

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES

Cactus posted:

I have to admit, at first I was down on this game. After looking into a few more sources since then I think I was putting too much stock in what the burnt-out hacks at Giant Bomb had to say, and now I'm curious: What is it going to look like when I pick this up a year and a half down the line in a sale, long after everyone else has stopped playing? Will everything be so built-up that there will be no challenge? Or will everything that was once built up by other players have degraded, assuming such a mechanic exists, so that it will be harder to traverse the terrain than it is now?

This is always the issue with single-player games that heavily feature multiplayer elements: what's it like to play years after its zeitgeist has come and gone?
You get a random sampling of the online structures, and maybe a small proportion of of materials used to construct roads. You don't get all the online structures/infrastructure of whatever server they put you in. It shouldn't be an issue for later players.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cactus posted:

You don’t get a ton of structures. As you progress and time passes structures start popping up here and there from other players. A vast majority of the work will have to be done by you if say you want to build the road network.

Also I have no trouble getting a sun bro in Dark Souls so I imagine people will be playing this for a long rear end time.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Death Stranding only lets you receive a tiny fraction of the benefits of other players. Only a tiny fraction of their generators, shelters and zip lines show up in your world, and only a tiny fraction of the resources they dump into roads is received by you. It’s pretty well balanced.

Garvey
Jul 19, 2010
Finished this a few days ago and been letting it settle in my mind a bit, loved it (ending spoiler) Cried a little during the last walk to the incinerator

I've been left with a couple questions though, whole game spoilers ahead:

What was the deal with the baby inside Sam when he repatriates? and the doll that replaces it sometimes?

what did the larger bt creatures represent? the giant, the lions etc

I heard pre release that Sam could get better at the harmonica and whistling with practice, did anyone notice this?

Thanks!

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
It's Christmas soon. Can't wait to make deliveries for Ragile Express, as an Italian-American Porter, moving lamps from Distro centers to Knot cities.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

ShiroTheSniper posted:

It's Christmas soon.

Related to this, I liked that sleigh bells or whatever would happen when timefall snow would start up in the mountains.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Macaluso posted:

Related to this, I liked that sleigh bells or whatever would happen when timefall snow would start up in the mountains.

I had the bell chime from the Novelist's Son equipped the whole time so I wasn't sure if that was an effect. Either way it pairs nicely with the santa hat

Lanth
Jun 15, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

ShiroTheSniper posted:

It's Christmas soon. Can't wait to make deliveries for Ragile Express, as an Italian-American Porter, moving lamps from Distro centers to Knot cities.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1201840/MAN_STANDING/

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Spite posted:

Just my opinion

The game's main idea is "connection." You don't have a choice about this - that is the gameplay. Then the plot tells you that connection is literally extinction. The gameplay implicitly tells you connecting is good and the plot can't decide what it wants to say. Sam connects everyone and learns to touch people again, etc, etc. But Sam ends up walking away alone at the end. You could say it's being subversive and that connection is really going to kill us all. Kojima is not a subtle dude though.

Amelie/Bridget's motivations make no sense. She's basically waging a war against herself which would have been an interesting thing to explore. She impulsively gives Higgs superpowers and has him blowing stuff up...while also trying to rebuild the network? If she really had decided to just end everything she'd know the fastest way to do it is via the network.

I feel like Kojima has a ton of ideas, some brilliant, some good, some crazy - and dammit he's going to include all of them!

I really don't agree

The read that connection can only lead to extinction is only possible if you completely omit the element of Amelie being representative of an authority figure within an organization/government/corporation.

Say for example: For any job you need co-operation in order to do it properly either from some other department or individuals etc... the point is you need others to do your job; now this connection between peoples produces the labor that produces the profits that the company heads/board/ceos/investors will use to empower themselves. Now these individuals empowered by the means of production that they own can make unilateral decisions that affect the whole company, and have actual consequences for the rest of the world. This imbalance of power is demonstrated by Amelie's relation to Sam. Ultimately the fate of the entire world rests on a single individual being convinced by only one other person. Like why should our lives be beholden to what emotional/mental state a single person? This isn't fair to the rest of mankind who get no say in the matter and in fact are just doing what humans do: co-operating.

In other words the connections you make in your life are exploited by a system that ensures that only people at the top get to truly decide how the world is shaped. That co-operation is how we organize ourselves within this system does not itself make co-operation an implicit evil. Because we are divorced from our labor in this sense where we do not know who or what it empowers at the end of the day: we are alienated from it. So in Amelie's case she basically Hijacks all of Americas, bridges and your efforts in order to do what she deems as "necessary". But once again that doesn't immediately condemn the idea of connecting with others to form a greater whole as the rest of the people she is exploiting in order to make this happen don't know that their efforts are being used for their own extinction.

With this in mind just think about what this means for the ending; where America still remains connected despite it still potentially being used by Amelie to enact the final stranding. But this system has to remain in place in order to empower Die Hardman's position as the president (without being elected mind you). No matter how sympathetic he is or well intended, it still has to be on a system of exploitation that has the strong potential for ruin. This is essentially Neoliberal society as it is today stripped down to its core.

It must also be remarked these systems are ultimately detrimental to the well being of those they supposedly empower as they isolate them from the rest of mankind, just like Amelie, thus causing mental distress or psychotic breaks.

As for Sam's motivation for not staying i think it has something to do with all that. The little faith he had in the idea of a nation can still ring true even if he has reconnected with the rest of mankind. He can have faith and appreciation for the people within an organization without having to like anything about said organization.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Captain Queernabs posted:

As soon as the fight ended and the tar washed away, I got the call from Deadman congratulating me. I took two steps forward, collapsed due to low stamina, and fell backward. Cargo ruined—game over. I almost poo poo myself.

Thank god the game autosaved after the whale.

Lmao same thing happened to me

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I wish some of these interviews / emails were codec calls like in MGSV. I know you have one, Sam!

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Spite posted:

Just my opinion

Amelie/Bridget's motivations make no sense. She's basically waging a war against herself which would have been an interesting thing to explore. She impulsively gives Higgs superpowers and has him blowing stuff up...while also trying to rebuild the network? If she really had decided to just end everything she'd know the fastest way to do it is via the network.

I think it made perfect sense. (ending)She spent her whole life working on avoiding extinction and went across the country installing BBs in every city for the chiral network because she thought that would bring humanity back together after the Death Stranding. But things went wrong and she finally lost faith in her ability to stop humanity's extinction, so she decided to use Sam to connect the network so she could wipe everything out in a blaze of glory rather than this slow depressing wasting-away. And then Sam convinced her to let humanity play out its remaining years however they could, because he'd done such a great job bringing people together with the network that it didn't seem so hopeless anymore.

The only thing I'm not clear on is what exactly happened with the Bridges 1 team (killed by terrorists when they made it to Edge Knot?) and the timing of the original voidouts/Death Stranding vs the doctor touching the baby's umbilical cord in Manhattan vs Amelie's research into BBs and Cliff's family. Or was the voidout from the doctor the original voidout that started the BTs coming through the beach? I don't understand why Amelie says that saving Sam and turning him into a repatriate unleashed things on the world, because surely they wouldn't be doing BB research unless there were already BTs around to spot.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Phenotype posted:

I think it made perfect sense. (ending)She spent her whole life working on avoiding extinction and went across the country installing BBs in every city for the chiral network because she thought that would bring humanity back together after the Death Stranding. But things went wrong and she finally lost faith in her ability to stop humanity's extinction, so she decided to use Sam to connect the network so she could wipe everything out in a blaze of glory rather than this slow depressing wasting-away. And then Sam convinced her to let humanity play out its remaining years however they could, because he'd done such a great job bringing people together with the network that it didn't seem so hopeless anymore.

The only thing I'm not clear on is what exactly happened with the Bridges 1 team (killed by terrorists when they made it to Edge Knot?) and the timing of the original voidouts/Death Stranding vs the doctor touching the baby's umbilical cord in Manhattan vs Amelie's research into BBs and Cliff's family. Or was the voidout from the doctor the original voidout that started the BTs coming through the beach? I don't understand why Amelie says that saving Sam and turning him into a repatriate unleashed things on the world, because surely they wouldn't be doing BB research unless there were already BTs around to spot.

im still not clear if the doctor touching the cord caused a voidout; the voidout in Manhattan was a separate later event, that takes place mysteriously during the OG BB experiments, and kills the president, leaving Bridget in charge

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Amelie hyped having to be broken out of a city overrun by terrorists long enough it was disappointing the Western Region wasn't just Ground Zeroes

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
I've been giving it some thought, and I think my biggest critique is that, outside of the main quest, we never get anything on the same level as the interactions between the Chiral Artist and the Junk Dealer outposts. It's the clearest example of Sam having an impact on the survivors, and it's way more meaningful than "alright, I'll join the UCA." There's some stuff with the Elder who can apparently die if you don't get him his meds and the Cosplay Artist and the Spiritualist, but I rarely felt like my deliveries made much of a difference.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

im still not clear if the doctor touching the cord caused a voidout; the voidout in Manhattan was a separate later event, that takes place mysteriously during the OG BB experiments, and kills the president, leaving Bridget in charge

the doctor touching the cord let him see a nearby BT, which then gobbled up the nearby corpse and triggered the voidout

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Just finished the main story and got kicked into the postgame where I'm ziplinin' it up and trucking mass quantities of materials across the landscape. Funny how the first area feels so small and easy to get around now.

Hey also am I missing something or is Lou just a random BB that doesn't really have any connection to the story?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I shot an idiot in the head and left the body to see what happens but it's been ages and it seems to just be sat on my map doing nothing. What are the actual consequences here?

E: also I've just reunited mama with her sister and first lol why did she die she seemed fine on the way over, and second can I feasibly finish this by Friday

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 3, 2019

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
If you play everyday, yeah

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

ThomasPaine posted:

I shot an idiot in the head and left the body to see what happens but it's been ages and it seems to just be sat on my map doing nothing. What are the actual consequences here?

E: also I've just reunited mama with her sister and first lol why did she die she seemed fine on the way over, and second can I feasibly finish this by Friday

If you leave a body and watch it, a BT will pop out of it and voidout. Eventually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytU8l90A5I4

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Monkey Fracas posted:

Just finished the main story and got kicked into the postgame where I'm ziplinin' it up and trucking mass quantities of materials across the landscape. Funny how the first area feels so small and easy to get around now.

Hey also am I missing something or is Lou just a random BB that doesn't really have any connection to the story?

The latter.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
Wait can I actually just go on a killing spree and so long as I leave nothing happens?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

sloppy portmanteau posted:

Wait can I actually just go on a killing spree and so long as I leave nothing happens?

Yep. Kojima's more bark than bite in this game.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Phenotype posted:

It could be terrorists killed them, but remember no one knew Amalie wasn’t corporeal. It may be that the ‘first group didn’t actually have anyone in it.

Chello De Don
Nov 12, 2006

and now i do

Panzeh posted:

Yep. Kojima's more bark than bite in this game.

i don't think this is actually the case. i left a few dead bodies lying around and several hours later in my playthrough die hardman called me and said they were about to go BT and i needed to move the bodies to the incinerator. i wasn't able to do so, and the drat things voided out and caused me to have to redo the mission where you carry mama. so yeah, they absolutely are a gameplay element.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Chello De Don posted:

i don't think this is actually the case. i left a few dead bodies lying around and several hours later in my playthrough die hardman called me and said they were about to go BT and i needed to move the bodies to the incinerator. i wasn't able to do so, and the drat things voided out and caused me to have to redo the mission where you carry mama. so yeah, they absolutely are a gameplay element.

It seems if they're inside a certain vicinity to a distro or town, they'll take care of them. Otherwise it's a voidout.

Chello De Don
Nov 12, 2006

and now i do

SpazmasterX posted:

It seems if they're inside a certain vicinity to a distro or town, they'll take care of them. Otherwise it's a voidout.

that makes a lot of sense, actually. i killed them way out away from any settlements, so no one would have run across them.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

DalaranJ posted:

It could be terrorists killed them, but remember no one knew Amalie wasn’t corporeal. It may be that the ‘first group didn’t actually have anyone in it.

I considered that, but someone must have been around to do all the physical work. When you get to Edge Knot and it's distro center, everything's already built and in place just waiting for the q-pid. Or was that Bridges 2? I forget what they did, but I didn't think they made it all that way.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Phenotype posted:

I considered that, but someone must have been around to do all the physical work. When you get to Edge Knot and it's distro center, everything's already built and in place just waiting for the q-pid. Or was that Bridges 2? I forget what they did, but I didn't think they made it all that way.

I think you’re right. The game says the second group team was Mama and Heartman.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Some quick questions:

First, is there a definitive answer on how lethal kills work in terms of creating BTs and void outs and are you really screwed if you don’t do anything about it and get a void out later? I’ve read you can just reload the last save and the corpse causing it will be gone (what about large body counts). I’ve also heard there is apparently a bug where this doesn’t always happen.

Second what is the best way to farm for ceramics. I’ve got roads to build. :)

Third, I’m in chapter 5 and got some of the initial weapons, how do item upgrades progress? Some seem story locked, but others seem linked to upgrading preppers. I’m thinking of just fragile jumping back to the east coast and just five starring stuff.

Lastly any maps appear online showing where all the hidden preppers are, or do all get revealed eventually?

Thanks!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Second what is the best way to farm for ceramics. I’ve got roads to build.

Find an order to deliver ceramics go to the delivery site and take all their ceramics out and dump it into your private locker. Then do the order.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Some quick questions:

First, is there a definitive answer on how lethal kills work in terms of creating BTs and void outs and are you really screwed if you don’t do anything about it and get a void out later? I’ve read you can just reload the last save and the corpse causing it will be gone (what about large body counts). I’ve also heard there is apparently a bug where this doesn’t always happen.

Second what is the best way to farm for ceramics. I’ve got roads to build. :)

Third, I’m in chapter 5 and got some of the initial weapons, how do item upgrades progress? Some seem story locked, but others seem linked to upgrading preppers. I’m thinking of just fragile jumping back to the east coast and just five starring stuff.

Lastly any maps appear online showing where all the hidden preppers are, or do all get revealed eventually?

Thanks!

The mule camps also have set materials they always have. The camp in the forest between north distro and north waystation has ceramics.

Item upgrades mostly from outposts / preppers. So getting them to 3-4 stars will unlock everything they have. There 2 exceptions which are the engineer and junk dealer who have an upgrade at 5 stars.

Press R3 on the map screen so it shows off the grids and then just explore the blacked out grids to find your missing outposts / preppers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the best and most profitable way to get materials of any kind is to get your rank up with preppers and distro centers and clear out their stockpile reserves

the mats you need for crafting will always be a miniscule fraction of what you need for road-building