Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

baram. posted:

anyone have tips for lunar silver star story & eternal blue?
I'll try to remember a few.

There is a sort of penalty for saving the game, which costs points you use for upgrading attacks. Don't play short sessions unless you are using save states.
In Eternal Blue, you fight this guy called Borgan, surprise, and he is infamous for being super boss tough. Keep using White Dragon Protect and hope it defends against Gravity Bomb.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

baram. posted:

For Eternal Blue be aware that there is no point where it asks you to make a save before leaving disc one and going to disc 2. If you arent playing on original hardware make sure your emulator supports this because this one of like two games to do this so it wasnt a huge priority for emu devs years ago.

For both games they're really easy, bosses are basically just cast heal and use strongest attack until it dies with very rare twists on that. There are some missable items as the game map gets locked off or changed by the story pretty regularly, but none of them are worth worrying over.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
When is a good time to go do the DLC for Spiderman on PS4?

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

DreadCthulhu posted:

How does System Shock 2 hold up in 2019? Is it still the life-changing transformational experience that people raved about in 1999, or has it been surpassed by more modern titles, in terms of game mechanics, story, UX etc? It's super discounted on GOG now, but for me it's more of a matter of prioritizing what I sink my time into, than saving a few bucks.

SS2 holds up fine, but the 2017 Prey is also on sale right now on Steam, and it's very much a modern spiritual successor.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

ghostinmyshell posted:

When is a good time to go do the DLC for Spiderman on PS4?

It’s all endgame content that literally is in a different world than the main game (even if its in the same map)

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

1redflag posted:

Just got Ace Combat 7. Never played any AC games before. All tips appreciated

You probably won't get enough points to unlock more than 1 tech tree unless you replay missions. A lot. So take a look at what top tier plane you want and focus your efforts on that.

The A-10 is, unfortunately, pretty much useless. Any mission that claims to be focused on ground targets will absolutely have a shitload of air targets too.

Speed is key.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

DreadCthulhu posted:

How does System Shock 2 hold up in 2019? Is it still the life-changing transformational experience that people raved about in 1999, or has it been surpassed by more modern titles, in terms of game mechanics, story, UX etc? It's super discounted on GOG now, but for me it's more of a matter of prioritizing what I sink my time into, than saving a few bucks.

The first System Shock game had an “enhanced edition” and also is getting a modern remake, both are by Nightdive Studios. And they also decided to do an enhanced edition for System Shock 2. So that’s a good excuse to delay playing it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
System Shock 2 is still an excellent game experience, in my opinion. It's rougher now, of course, not quite as smooth, polished or pretty as a game twenty years younger than it, but on the whole, it came by its excellent reputation honestly. If you're willing to give it a fair shot, you'll find it an great experience.

I also recommend Prey 2016 as either an alternative or, even better, a follow-up title so you can see what a modern take on the formula would look like and how many parallels and inspirations there are between the games. Prey is, in my opinion, a strong contender for a proper System Shock 3. It's not exactly the same, but it's so close they could be cousins, so to speak. It's a very good game in its own right and you'll definitely not be disappointed if this kind of game matches your interests.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I never played SS2 originally so I have no nostalgia for it, and unfortunately I had a really hard time getting into it; and I'm someone who loves the original Deus Ex.

That said, i'm pretty sure you can find it for very cheap, and it has cheats if you're struggling with old school game mechanics, so there's no harm in giving it a shot; but if you're playing it and you're thinking "hmm, everyone said this game holds up but it feels rough as hell to me," you are not crazy, it is definitely a video game from 1999 and takes some getting used to.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
SS2 has juuust enough jank while also being stuck as one of the progenitors to a whole wave of newer games that I don't feel like you'd be missing out all that badly if you skipped it because you've probably seen a lot of what it's done before and possibly done better. Like I might sooner recommend System Shock 1 just because it's a much more unique experience, despite its age and learning curve.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
If you only play one game (Of System Shock style) the 2016 Prey is probably the one game. But it's themes and flavours or horror are different.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

John Murdoch posted:

SS2 has juuust enough jank while also being stuck as one of the progenitors to a whole wave of newer games that I don't feel like you'd be missing out all that badly if you skipped it because you've probably seen a lot of what it's done before and possibly done better. Like I might sooner recommend System Shock 1 just because it's a much more unique experience, despite its age and learning curve.
I think this is doing it a bit of an injustice, but I suppose in a lot of ways it falls into the same category as the Half-Life games: basically the founder of their respective sub-genres of video games and as such stuff you've already seen, but with the added disadvantage of being 20+ years behind the times by modern standards. It doesn't help that most the cool story stuff, like SHODAN reveal, are common knowledge these days. Which is sad because it's still honestly a great game and going through it for the first time was an amazing and terrifying experience.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah System Shock 2 is still kind of all-around disturbing to play and experience, whereas Prey is only genuinely scary when the one monster that is actually hard to kill shows up. Though I did love both. And if I had a startle reflex then Prey would probably be fairly scary too.

Edit: SHODAN reveal still holds up, even if you know she is in the game you do not necessarily know when or why!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Cardiovorax posted:

I think this is doing it a bit of an injustice, but I suppose in a lot of ways it falls into the same category as the Half-Life games: basically the founder of their respective sub-genres of video games and as such stuff you've already seen, but with the added disadvantage of being 20+ years behind the times by modern standards. It doesn't help that most the cool story stuff, like SHODAN reveal, are common knowledge these days. Which is sad because it's still honestly a great game and going through it for the first time was an amazing and terrifying experience.

I mean, I'm not saying you should skip SS2 necessarily, but if you don't have all the time in the world to play every 0451 game then I feel like it gets supplanted by a number of newer entries in the genre for one reason or another.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, I get where you're coming from. Still, it's a game I have fond memories of and I just want to share the fun I had with it. Especially with some graphical upgrade mods slapped on top of the game, I think it still holds up well enough to be worth at least giving it a shot.

VVV many of these mods are excellent and I personally recommend checking them out. It is surprisingly easy to make SS2 look outright pretty.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 30, 2019

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
System Shock 2 is absolutely worth giving a try if you at all think you will be able to put up with its more aged elements, it still does some things that are genuinely rad to this day that I remain impressed by that I don't really feel I get out of other games like it. I just wouldn't go into it blind (I'd look up some recommended builds) and though this is a touchy subject with some SS2 fans, there are a host of mods that you can implement to modernize it to a degree and I'd recommend checking some of them out.

And if you do bounce off of it, no big deal, there's no harm going straight to something like Prey.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Play ss2 you fools

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Anything for The Outer Worlds? I’m wondering mainly about trap skills/builds/weapons, etc., but any tips appreciated.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete
After a few update mods to get it running its best on a modern OS and possibly tuning the weapon degradation down just a tad, SS2 still stands as one of the best. At least until the late game which is a bit rough.

Or, in short:

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Play ss2 you fools

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

1redflag posted:

Anything for The Outer Worlds? I’m wondering mainly about trap skills/builds/weapons, etc., but any tips appreciated.

* Choose at least one combat skill, you're not gonna get through this game without getting your hands pretty dirty.
* Most of the perks are honestly pretty mediocre, so don't worry too much about choosing a 'bad' one.
* For non-dialog skills, there's not a huge reason to level the skill up beyond the highest breakpoint (20/40/60/80/100) you want for the bonuses.
* Lockpicking >>> Hacking. I think I hacked single-digits worth of things throughout my entire playthrough, while I was hurting for mag-picks most of the game from the sheer volume of pickable locks.
* All of the party members are really good, but the game starts you off with the best two. Don't be afraid to experiment with new party compositions.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

1redflag posted:

Just got Ace Combat 7. Never played any AC games before. All tips appreciated

- You can Cheat Engine yourself millions of MRPs mid-mission.
- Don't use the A-10, and don't use GPBs. Every other plane and weapon is at least worth experimenting with.
- You can hold down the target switch button to focus the camera on your current target. This will be a huge help with a certain bad bad gimmick in some later missions.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Dec 1, 2019

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I have a pretty esoteric mechanics clarification: in Evil Within 2, zombies tend to do that flail-y, unpredictable walk where they constantly turn and look in random directions. In mechanical terms, what exactly is their vision cone doing? Am I considered out of sight so long as I remain behind their direction of motion, or does their cone actually follow their eyeline as their head flails around?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

I have a pretty esoteric mechanics clarification: in Evil Within 2, zombies tend to do that flail-y, unpredictable walk where they constantly turn and look in random directions. In mechanical terms, what exactly is their vision cone doing? Am I considered out of sight so long as I remain behind their direction of motion, or does their cone actually follow their eyeline as their head flails around?
As far as I've noticed while playing, this is more or less cosmetic. If you assume that they have a 140°-160°-ish vision cone in whatever direction they're currently moving, you won't be going wrong. TEW2 enemies aren't terribly perceptive. So long as you're vaguely behind them, they won't notice you except through noise.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

1redflag posted:

Don't be shy about using weapon & armor mods. The game buries you in them, especially if you have the ability that lets you salvage mods from gear you break down in the field.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Cardiovorax posted:

As far as I've noticed while playing, this is more or less cosmetic. If you assume that they have a 140°-160°-ish vision cone in whatever direction they're currently moving, you won't be going wrong. TEW2 enemies aren't terribly perceptive. So long as you're vaguely behind them, they won't notice you except through noise.

Awesome, that's what I was hoping- thanks!

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Anyone have anything for Aliens Infestation? Doesn’t look like there’s even an entry for it on the site. If not, I’ll type up anything that seems pertinent when I get further in.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

baram. posted:

Working Designs hosed around with enemy stats during the localization process, so you will need to grind a bit every other dungeon to stay competitive. This issue is more of a thing in Eternal Blue. It's not absurd, but it does expect you to power level a bit more than its contemporaries like Final Fantasy and whatnot.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Any tips for Shadow of War? I really liked the first one, any trap perks or things to avoid? Any captains I should look out for to recruit?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Any tips for Shadow of War? I really liked the first one, any trap perks or things to avoid? Any captains I should look out for to recruit?

Some side missions are gated behind having a certain ability, so it's good to spend your perk points unlocking all the abilities first, and then go back and unlock the ability modifiers later.

If you have a piece of gear that is low level but has good traits you can spend some cash to upgrade it to Talion's current level - that option's not super obvious in the UI, but is available right from the beginning.

As in the first game the captains you should recruit are whichever ones are the funniest.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Sexual Aluminum posted:

If you're just playing the main story campaign, you can basically do whatever, it really isn't very hard. Just pick the captains you think are fun, they'll nearly all become outleveled by better captains from more difficult regions anyway. As of the latest patch, you will receive 80 perk points from level ups plus a number from side missions and special achievement-type stuff, so you'll have pretty much for anything you want.

Get all the main perks (the big symbols) first because they're all good for something no matter how you specifically want to play. You will receive enough points to get pretty much all of them, but the ones I find particular useful are: double parry (your ghost parries an extra dude for you, you never get attacked by more than two at a time), quick dominate, extra drops, Shadow Strike Pull (teleport orc to you instead of you to orc, great for stealthy captain grabbing to high places) as well as the one that lets you shadow mount unbroken Carragors plus the one that grabs all Carragors around them. That can single-handedly take out entire mounted patrols and neuter them completely. I also like the one that lets you poison grog at a distance because it makes it so that when you shoot them, there is a massive explosion of Balefire (poison flame) that kills practically anything short of a captain in one hit.

Otherwise, just experiment! This is a game for loving around in and everything is good for something.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Mzbundifund posted:

Some side missions are gated behind having a certain ability, so it's good to spend your perk points unlocking all the abilities first, and then go back and unlock the ability modifiers later.

If you have a piece of gear that is low level but has good traits you can spend some cash to upgrade it to Talion's current level - that option's not super obvious in the UI, but is available right from the beginning.

As in the first game the captains you should recruit are whichever ones are the funniest.

Sometime it is better to let them run around for a bit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uQhFRP1dN4

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Decided I might give a few more tips for Sword and Shield, especially aimed at people whose first experience with a real Pokemon game is LGPE.

Pokemon Sword and Shield
- Pick whichever starter you like most, none of them have types that are particularly hard to find.
- Don't sell Bottlecaps or Fossils. Everything else in the treasure tab is fair game, although there is an NPC who buys them for more than they sell for, if you don't need the money right now.
- Chaining is no longer an effective way to shiny hunt midgame. Just wait until postgame.
- You can't (easily) catch a Pokemon of a higher level than the one you're using, so switch to something else before you start throwing Pokeballs. Ideally, after roughing it up a bit and either putting it to sleep or paralyzing it.
- The first available Mystery Gift (until 01/15/20) is a Gigantimax Meowth (often affectionately referred to as Longcat), who is extremely useful for money grinding in gym battles and dynamax raids (in the Wild Area).
- TMs are infinite use, but TRs are one-use, and are somewhat rarer when you're first starting out.
- You can get a few free TMs by doing the Rotom Rally bike races in the Wild Area if you're fast enough, and then use those watts to buy TRs.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 3, 2019

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Anything for Total War: Warhammer 2? I've played the first one, so I'm mostly interested in changes and tips for the new races.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I wouldn't play on the Mortal Empires map unless you've got an obscenely powerful PC. Turns are slow. Other than that, I recommend checking out the Total War: Warhammer thread in games. It has way more and way better info than I think I could give you here.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Is there a "what should I know before playing D&D" post, specifically for Baldur's Gate 2 and Icewind Dale 2? I can see that the rules have changed quite a bit (new D&D edition?) and have no idea how to create a party - I mean, the standard "2 face-punchers, 2 casters, healer, rogue" should work, but I'm afraid of loving up and learning that I made a very suboptimal character 10 levels later :ohdear:

Specific questions for IWD2 now:
- is dual-classing still a thing? IWD2 says something about multi-classing into new combinations, like Paladin with Fighter or Wizard. Is it integrated now so that after leveling up I can choose a level in a new compatible class, instead of another level in the current one? Will I suffer temporary nerf during this process like with IWD1 dual-classing?
- is a Wizard taking a level or several in Fighter and then dual- (multi-?) classing to wizard for the survivability still a thing, or is it done differently now? Or should I just forget about it and specialize in magic-enhancing feats?
- are there any feats I can permanently miss (i.e. only available at character creation) that are not marked with something obvious like "can only take at character level 1"?
- where do I shove rogue tasks (i.e. trap detecting/disarming and occasional pickpocketing) if I don't wanna use a Rogue character (Bard is OK)? Is it viable at all?
- is 18/## strength not a thing anymore?
- how is the BG2 ruleset different from the above? I see that there are specialized class "kits". Assuming I want what they offer, am I locking myself of any options (mostly w/r/t dual/multiclassing later) if I take those?

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 4, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

First off, multiclassing in BG2 works differently than in Icewind Dale. In BG2, you pick a dual (or triple) class and level all of them equally, or you level up a class, then pick a new one, and get no access to your old abilities until you match or exceed your previous level. There are other things worth knowing, like that low AC is better than high AC, but honestly, I never actually learned the rules and still made it through the game when I was ten.

Feats do not even exist in BG2 and are handled very differently in Icewind Dale than they are in standard 3.5 Ed., so missing feats isn't really possible, I think.

Kits mostly do specializations on top of the base class, kind of like prestige classes that you start with. Wild Mage is the best one because it can spontaneously make it rain sheep.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

First off, multiclassing in BG2 works differently than in Icewind Dale. In BG2, you pick a dual (or triple) class and level all of them equally, or you level up a class, then pick a new one, and get no access to your old abilities until you match or exceed your previous level.
It seems similar to IWD1, with the exception of kits and such?

quote:

There are other things worth knowing, like that low AC is better than high AC, but honestly, I never actually learned the rules and still made it through the game when I was ten.
To clarify, I beat BG1 (the old version, not the EE one with changed ruleset) and IWD1, so I more or less know the absolute D&D basics. I meant to ask more about how the rules were changed because i have absolutely no experience with pen-and-paper D&D and things that came with a new edition might mean nothing to be even if they're immediately obvious to tabletop roleplayers.

quote:

Feats do not even exist in BG2 and are handled very differently in Icewind Dale than they are in standard 3.5 Ed., so missing feats isn't really possible, I think.
Good to know.

quote:

Kits mostly do specializations on top of the base class, kind of like prestige classes that you start with.
Wait, are there prestige classes you don't start with? As in, you level your character to a certain level/stats and you get an option to upgrade your class to a prestige version? Or is that not a thing in BG2/IWD2 and you're referring to tabletop rules?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Pierzak posted:

It seems similar to IWD1, with the exception of kits and such?

To clarify, I beat BG1 (the old version, not the EE one with changed ruleset) and IWD1, so I more or less know the absolute D&D basics. I meant to ask more about how the rules were changed because i have absolutely no experience with pen-and-paper D&D and things that came with a new edition might mean nothing to be even if they're immediately obvious to tabletop roleplayers.
I'm sorry, I only played Icewind Dale 2, but I've played both Baldur's Gates and as far as I know, the rules in both of those are the same, so you will know what to do.

Pierzak posted:

Wait, are there prestige classes you don't start with? As in, you level your character to a certain level/stats and you get an option to upgrade your class to a prestige version? Or is that not a thing in BG2/IWD2 and you're referring to tabletop rules?
Ah, yes, I was talking tabletop, or at least 3.5 Edition in general. If you had played Neverwinter Nights, for example, you would be familiar with that. Prestige Classes are special classes with 5 to 10 levels that you can multiclass into once you reach certain prerequisites in feats and class levels. Since you seemed familiar with some of the survivability tricks involved (taking a level of fighter on a wizard, for example) I figured you'd already know about that. They let you do stuff the base classes otherwise couldn't, like develop spell-like abilities.

Kits work basically like that, but instead of getting them later, you get them right away and for your entire level range.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Pierzak posted:

BG2 and IWD2 both use different editions of the rules. BG2 does not have prestige classes, those were introduced in the next edition (3e). The above comparison was made with the assumption you knew what prestige classes were.

The two games have entirely different rules sets, and you may want a small primer on the differences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

I've played both Baldur's Gates and as far as I know, the rules in both of those are the same, so you will know what to do.
Old version or Enhanced? I know that EE updated the ruleset of BG1 to the later version.

quote:

Prestige Classes/Kits :words:
Good to know, thanks. Filed for future reference, I have NWN2 somewhere in my backlog.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

The two games have entirely different rules sets, and you may want a small primer on the differences.
Yes, that's pretty much what I'm asking for.

Speaking about the game (IWD2) itself: The Paladin description says under disadvantages that they cannot abide evil done in their presence. Does this mean that they just won't get evil dialogue options etc. when acting as party face, or is there a real risk of Paladin characters actively loving up what I'm doing because it wasn't righteous enough for them?

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 4, 2019