Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Wheany posted:

....yeah, i guess i'm not going to even bother starting the advent of code

well you had to finish both problems before 00:13:43 today to get any points, but if you aren't doing it competitively then it's really not hard so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Bloody posted:

another day, another round of being driven to madness by mutable data

Join the loving club. im trying to convince the people in charge of our data that maybe they should not overwrite existing data, but actually keep a record of changes so we can reproduce the state of the data at a later point in time.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

lmao we've been generating invalid "ghost" <a> references on this grid for years because the grid plugin was trying to load from a data structure that didn't exist because the base table was pre rendered, but we never noticed because the function over the data did this:

code:

return "<a href='..\foo\'+data[FartID]+">"+CellValue+"</a>"

and ofc javascript is terrible so if data[FartID] doesn't exist it returns undefined which then silently casts to string, builds an invalid url to \undefined, but because CellValue is already a valid url because we pre rendered it, it creates a weird nested anchor that renders as an invisible <a> with no value and then a valid one next to it so it all looked fine unless you inspect the elements

only noticed because there was a non-url column that the same render function was applied to and it threw a "value is undefined" error because it didn't need to concatenate anything so didn't do the implicit cast

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Private Speech posted:

competitively

oh gently caress lol definitely not

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
competitive programming is probably the most digusting concept i can imagine

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Wheany posted:

It was pretty fun in high school.

mystes
May 31, 2006

MononcQc posted:

It sure required less mutability. I did end up going with the easy thing of generating all points in both paths and then just combining them as a set intersection because I couldn't remember how to properly do line collision effectively and I didn't want to look dumb on video. I should probably figure it out that way though.
You mean you literally just generated all the points in each segment rather than looking at pairs of segments to see if they intersected? Checking for intersections isn't that bad because the segments are all either vertical or horizontal.

mystes fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 3, 2019

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Wheany posted:

you don’t have to film yourself doing it

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

thats what the judges keep telling me

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
nah i'm sorry for being so negative. have fun having fun.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Wheany posted:

....yeah, i guess i'm not going to even bother starting the advent of code

I just did a brute force thing: if the line is from {0,5} to {3,5}, I just add {0,5},{1,5},{2,5},{3,5} to a set, do that for all lines, and check for the sets that share the same points. If you use the proper data structure, it takes a reasonable amount of time and does not feel like brute-force at all.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

mystes posted:

You mean you literally just generated all the points in each segment rather than looking at pairs of segments to see if they intersected? Checking for intersections isn't that bad because the segments are all either vertical or horizontal.

Yeah exactly. Then I put each wire layout in a set, find the intersecting points, and then do the calculations they ask for. If you keep a list of all the points in order then part 2 is just about counting all the non-matching points until you get the matching one. Took me about 200ms in Erlang (which isn't a super fast language) including disk access for the problem definition. Was fast enough for me to call it a day.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

refleks posted:

Join the loving club. im trying to convince the people in charge of our data that maybe they should not overwrite existing data, but actually keep a record of changes so we can reproduce the state of the data at a later point in time.

my current institution is awful at a lot of things but has this one down. We have a document we pass around like a redheaded stepchild but we keep spares in the DB with timestamps.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

refleks posted:

do you think disk space grows on trees?!

mystes
May 31, 2006

MononcQc posted:

Yeah exactly. Then I put each wire layout in a set, find the intersecting points, and then do the calculations they ask for. If you keep a list of all the points in order then part 2 is just about counting all the non-matching points until you get the matching one. Took me about 200ms in Erlang (which isn't a super fast language) including disk access for the problem definition. Was fast enough for me to call it a day.
Yeah that's actually pretty elegant and since it's certainly fast enough I'm not sure it was worth dealing with the actual line segments in retrospect.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Soricidus posted:

this same person sees no issue with storing terabytes of raw binary data in a SQL table

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
if your db is any good (postgres, ms sql server, hell even oracle, or anything besdies mysql) it will have no problem doing so

animist
Aug 28, 2018
has anybody implemented a filesystem on top of sql

I honestly trust the database people more than the filesystem people, seems like a reasonable exchange to me

Vista doesn't count

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

animist posted:

has anybody implemented a filesystem on top of sql

I honestly trust the database people more than the filesystem people, seems like a reasonable exchange to me

Vista doesn't count

https://www.nongnu.org/libsqlfs/

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
the database people have to trust the filesystem people though, since they rely on the filesystem for things like "cache this page" or "sync to disk". well postgres does anyway, oracle not so much

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

DELETE CASCADE posted:

the database people have to trust the filesystem people though, since they rely on the filesystem for things like "cache this page" or "sync to disk". well postgres does anyway, oracle not so much

just store the db on that google docs spreadsheet filesystem someone hacked up

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I prefer my 200 compact flash card RAID0 tyvm

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Soricidus posted:

dont even loving start...

we're 300 people in the company, and around 150 of those are under the IT umbrella, yet there is no CTO. There is an MBA CFO who somehow has the responsibility for IT, but no understanding of it...

I'll let you figure out if IT is a value-generating entity in his eyes, or a cost to be minimized aggressively to the point where i have to argue when I want a VM with more than 2 gigs of RAM and 40 gigs of space

mystes
May 31, 2006

Today's advent of code was really easy, wow.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I keep wanting to do Advent of Code but have zero motivation to sit at my computer once I get home nowadays. I suppose that's not a bad thing.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
advent of code is for people who cant get jobs programming but want to feel what its like to maybe be a part of it

simble
May 11, 2004

you could do them at work like me

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

I have fun doing aoc in jupyter. just rip some code out like farting and push on it till number is correct. no need to think about tomorrow just get some answers today

is this what data science feels like. maybe I should learn some stats and be a data scientist

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nomnom Cookie posted:

I have fun doing aoc in jupyter. just rip some code out like farting and push on it till number is correct. no need to think about tomorrow just get some answers today
Yeah on reflection, my solution to day 4 made a terrible assumption and ignored an edge case but number correct so whatever

I guess other people's ranges might contain that edge case, though (I assume it's different for everyone?).

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

CPColin posted:

I keep wanting to do Advent of Code but have zero motivation to sit at my computer once I get home nowadays. I suppose that's not a bad thing.

I just do it at work

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

DELETE CASCADE posted:

didn't postgrs only recently fix up their sync() issue where you have to call it twice (?) on linux for it to work

edit https://www.percona.com/blog/2019/02/22/postgresql-fsync-failure-fixed-minor-versions-released-feb-14-2019/#FSYNC-ERRORS-ARE-NOW-DETECTED

cowboy beepboop fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Dec 4, 2019

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

DELETE CASCADE posted:

a big part of writing a database is figuring out how to work around each of the filesystems you support running on because you can’t actually trust the fs to do anything

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
filesystems are so last century. postgres should store its data in something modern like mongodb

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Fatal Error posted:

delete everything and destroy all computers.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

advent of code is for people who cant get jobs programming but want to feel what its like to maybe be a part of it

It would be amazing if programming jobs were like Advent of Code. Tiny, fixed-sized, rigorously specified, closed problems with singular correct answers.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Doom Mathematic posted:

It would be amazing if programming jobs were like Advent of Code. Tiny, fixed-sized, rigorously specified, closed problems with singular correct answers.

can you imagine a manager ever giving a spec as well written as the typical advent of code problem?

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Oneiros posted:

can you imagine a manager ever giving a spec as well written as the typical advent of code problem?

just last month i was asked for a time estimate on a statement of work where one of the tasks was literally "fix all the bugs"

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

DaTroof posted:

just last month i was asked for a time estimate on a statement of work where one of the tasks was literally "fix all the bugs"

2 years

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
(oneliner)
15 minutes
30 minutes
1 hour
half day
1 day
3 days
1 week
2 weeks
1 month
3 months
6 months
1 year
2 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simble
May 11, 2004

DaTroof posted:

whatever you think it is divide by 2 and add a time unit

ie 3 weeks becomes 1.5 months