Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
I'm enjoying the show but I'd rather not have major plot points revealed before the show runner wants them to be revealed, like any other show that's not based on easily accessible books. I just don't know how closely aligned the show is, though I know a lot of it is not directly from the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Ariza posted:

I'm enjoying the show but I'd rather not have major plot points revealed before the show runner wants them to be revealed, like any other show that's not based on easily accessible books. I just don't know how closely aligned the show is, though I know a lot of it is not directly from the books.

wut?

the show is a different story, taking place in 2019. its like... a sequel i guess or a continuation.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Funny thing about Juggernaut being there

I have this comic somewhere in my collection and I never could figure out what that panel with the bouncing rock is supposed to convey

Zaphod42 posted:

Hahahaha that's so loving goofy

This is why doing superheroes for serious as anything other than a Watchmen / Boys style parody is a mistake. Keep it light-hearted and goofy, or suddenly we have to start asking a ton of awkward questions.

I liked Logan

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

Mike the TV posted:

Beware the Cyclops

Dr Manhattans symbol looks like an eye in the middle of his head, too.

Putting this in a sealed envelope now: Angela Abar will be the next Dr Manhattan.

7K has a make-a-Manhattan machine.

Trieu has the resources to just wreck 7K if she wants. She knows about Cyclops.

Some of the 7K machines had Trieu markings

Stop Dr Klanhattan, replace with a more friendly face

Instead of a white supremacist god, god is now a black woman.

Angela mad at her grandfather for turning her into this monster. (She’s not going to forgive me)

HJ finally has the tool he needs to destroy Cyclops. He needs Angela to understand fully the history.

Trieu has the tool to liberate Vietnam

Jon is fine with the woman he loves replacing him

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

Putting this in a sealed envelope now: Angela Abar will be the next Dr Manhattan.

Angela mad at her grandfather for turning her into this monster. (She’s not going to forgive me)

HJ finally has the tool he needs to destroy Cyclops. He needs Angela to understand fully the history.

whoah maybe

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

crazy cloud posted:

Good show so far, thank you

I thought you were in posting jail

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That sounds extremely plausible. Black rage overcomes the total disengagement with life and an all-powerful black woman terrorizes America into behaving. That would be a good ending.

None of the main characters in the book know any black people, do they? There’s just Dr. Long and Bernie?

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Even if everything else is wrong, this is right

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
Some more predictions and observations from yours truly, The One Who Knew Cal Was Dr. Manhattan:

- People have already called this, but Veidt is likely Lady Trieu's father and his message on Europa says "Save Me Daughter." If he is, in fact, the carbonite statue she owns, this episode implies that she is planning to release him from it in time for Millennium Clock time.

- Again, people here have said it, but part of Trieu's plan is to use the TVs that she bought for everyone (as mentioned in this Peteypedia article) to perform some sort of mass mesmerism. In support of this: this new Peteypedia article says Will Reeves bought a movie theater after being presented with Nelson Gardner's will, heavily implying that he acceped Gardner's will and does in fact own the rights to Minutemen... which would mean that he is involved with the production of the massively popular AHS show, a perfect vehicle for mass hypnosis. (I bet the TV will tell people to go outside or something and look at the Millennium Clock, which will do some other crazy thing).

- Ep 7 reveals that Hooded Justice and the 7th Kavalry both somehow discovered that Dr. M is in Tulsa. My theory: HJ never stopped keeping tabs on Cyclops, and followed it as it evolved into 7K (and possibly bugged it with the racist Dollar Bill poster that was at the cattle ranch, which Will would have received from Gardner's will). At some point, 7K discovers that Cal is Dr. Manhattan -- most likely during White Night, where Dr. M might have allowed his super-powered self to peek through the Cal costume in order to save Angela. Joe Keene takes over ownership of 7K after White Night, realizes that Dr. M is in their midsts, and hatches a plan to kidnap and "become" him (this plan somehow involves teleportation devices and watch batteries). Will intervenes more heavily at this point, enlisting Trieu and enacting his plan to stop 7th Kavalry.

- Lady Trieu and Will Reeves both know 7K's plan and they presumably know that Cal is Dr. M, but do nothing to actually protect him. This means that 7K's possession of Dr. M is either irrelevant or necessary to enact their plan. Given that Trieu's speech to her employees emphasized that Nostalgia kept people fixated on painful memories, it makes me think the Millennium Clock will do something like actually erase everyone's memories (and thus all the baggage that comes with historical, racial, and geo-political struggles, rendering 7K's possession of Cal totally moot). Trieu actually noted in this last ep that total amnesia was rare and "almost never happens" -- this could be just extra clever dialogue to imply that it will indeed happen at a mass scale. (Alternative theory here is that Millennium Clock will somehow turn everyone on Earth into a Dr. Manhattan.)

EDIT: Actually, walking back that last one about amnesia. Erasing everyone's memories doesn't make sense if you're currently giving your Mom Clone her old memories back. One extra idea here is that there are actually two Dr. Manhattans out there -- one that stayed in outer space, and one that came to Earth and fell in love with Angela (all the cell division imagery could suggest a duplication of the Hydrogen atom). Millennium Clock might force the other one to come back to Earth once 7K kills the first Dr. M.

Jay-V fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 4, 2019

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
This is way past relevant, but I still think the guy who shot Angela on the White Night was Keene. They made a point to show his height, and Keene is huge.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Making another Manhattan-esque figure successfully would be disappointing, especially if it's one that maintains the ties to humanity. That's just superman again.
Manhattan is interesting because he's an exploration of how that kind of power is inherently alienating. It's an exploration of immortality, omnipotence, and and omniscience and how those characteristics are inherently incompatible with society.

That said I think there are ways to reframe that character without turning it into a 2019 progressive power-fantasy and I am hopeful the show won't succumb to that because it has been pretty restrained with the fanservice so far.

But I guess I'd probably enjoy watching klansman explode as much as the next person and could get behind that if that's the way it goes

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

HppyCmpr posted:

I feel a little bad for Angela and Cal's adopted children to be honest.

You're aware that your husband is secretly Dr. Manhattan but still decide to adopt two children, either potentially putting them in danger in the future or requiring an awkward conversation when Cal ceases to exist.

"Children, I know you miss your father but in reality he's actually a blue superhuman so don't feel bad." :raise:

You see kids: Cal was here and now...he's nowhere. :stare:

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

Trying to become like this to enact your white power plan is strange- I can’t imagine anything Manhattan cares about less than distinctions of ‘race’ or power.

A black man and a white man have the same number of particles.

There already was a Dr. Manhattan used for white supremacy; Jon Osterman. Racist white president Richard Nixon used him to conquer Vietnam. It took years for him to become disillusioned, so white power Manhattan could probably be relied on to at least eliminate/enslave all non-whites before pissing off to Pluto or whatever.

I have a weird feeling it's going to be Looking Glass saying that for some reason
VVVVVV

Douche Wolf 89 fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 4, 2019

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

what are the odds that in episode 9 at some point either Trieu or the Senator says something along the lines of "I did it 35 minutes ago"?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Angela should put the Cal device in Keene so he has to live out the rest of his life being black.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEOxq7aVKh4&t=25s

how will her vulva be depicted in the movie tho?

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

There already was a Dr. Manhattan used for white supremacy; Jon Osterman. Racist white president Richard Nixon used him to conquer Vietnam. It took years for him to become disillusioned, so white power Manhattan could probably be relied on to at least eliminate/enslave all non-whites before pissing off to Pluto or whatever.

I have a weird feeling it's going to be Looking Glass saying that for some reason
VVVVVV

Yes. Also, symmetry is an ongoing theme in Watchmen.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I think lady Triue is actually pissed at Angela for taking the whole bottle at once. They thought she'd take one at a time, dip her toe in it. Downing the whole bottle actually was not part of the plan, almost killed Angela, caused a distraction for her treatment and almost derailed the whole loving plan.

I like the tutorial injection and the whole premise of it, this show does Westworld stuff better than Westworld did. The organic medicine stuff

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

packetmantis posted:

Angela should put the Cal device in Keene so he has to live out the rest of his life being black.

:hmmyes:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Cal talking to a hologram of Bian is like a whole bunch of perspectives to process at once in one scene

Angela never tells the truth to almost anybody. It seems so petty from the outside but knowing her actual story I see why it's an absolute imperative for her. Or anyone you don't full trust asking too many questions

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Whoa wait, the bombing that killed Angela's parents must not have been the first one. There must have been enough and or enough dissidence and reaction that even a 10 year old army brat knew what they did to violent dissidents there. No trial

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
"Can I listen...?" :c00lbert:

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011

sticksy posted:

"Children, I know you miss your father but nothing ever ends."

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

You see kids: Cal was here and now...he's nowhere. :stare:

"Children, I know you miss your father but time is a flat circle. Everything we have done or will do we will do over and over and over again- forever."

Kazy posted:

Their parents were killed by the 7K, not sure how much more danger they could really be in :v:

I mean, they were previously in danger during that event and now Angela and Jon are consistently putting them in danger by keeping them around.

Maybe orphanages in this world are significantly worse, who knows. I did forget they were orphans of the White Knight though, so thanks for reminding me.

HppyCmpr fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Dec 4, 2019

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

Your mommy kills animals! I bet you didn't know that.
Dammit, I was gonna do a rewatch in the lead up to the endgame here so I watched the first two episodes Saturday night and then THAT happened on Sunday, so now I feel like I have to watch those two all over again. Guess I'll just wait 'til this is all over to have another go.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ariza posted:

I've only skimmed the thread, but has the show diverted enough from the source material that I won't be looking at spoilers if I read the thread? I'm not sure what the protocol is, but I'm really enjoying the show and I'm pretty sensitive to that poo poo. I'd really like to ask questions and see other people's reactions to each episode.

The show takes place after the entirety of the comics. None of this is based on anything in a comic book, other than the events of the past which are the same as the film other than the space-slug monster.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
Just :lol: that Doomsday Clock will probably end in Superman beating Dr. Manhattan

PoorWeather
Nov 4, 2009

Don't worry, everybody has those days.

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

I feel like this is likely, not for any profound reason, but rather because the promo cover for the show has Angela covered in blue light, which knowing what has been revealed now seems like extremely on the nose foreshadowing.

I'm a decent fan of the original, and I've enjoyed the show a lot so far, but I have to admit it kind of lost me with this latest episode. The farting scene was so unlike anything that the Veidt of the graphic novel would do that it broke my ability to accept it as the same character, and the transracial element to the Dr. Manhattan reveal kind of makes me uncomfortable. You could argue that he's kind of above ethnicity as a character, but his actions and perspective are still super invested in having been a white American man, so if the story ends up allowing him to adopt a black identity uncritically, it'll feel kind of... Gross?

Some of the dialogue scenes felt very stiff in comparison to the earlier stuff, too - everything with Laurie in especially. I hope they're able to turn it around, since episode 6 in particular I enjoyed a lot.

Hey Chief
Feb 21, 2013

Angela's flashback has an alarm clock going off instead of the tick-tock. Since all the memory-jumble moments seem to hold some meaning besides that literal one, I wonder if it is related to the idea of genetic trauma brought up in the LG episode. Of course, the clock is also the sound of the bicycle bell. And when she unplugs from the elephant, there it is again, so maybe that was a bad idea?

Keene is pretty funny in a poo poo-eating sort of way. I did notice back then, how he puts himself in a messianic position with Wade: "I'm gonna set you free."

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Did the giant Dr Manhattan in Vietnam wear underwear in the comic?

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hilario Baldness posted:

Just :lol: that Doomsday Clock will probably end in Superman beating Dr. Manhattan

I hope Superman goes into an intrinsic field generator and comes out as Superman Blue

Sri.Theo posted:

Did the giant Dr Manhattan in Vietnam wear underwear in the comic?

Yeah

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
God, his tiny blue rear end in that last panel. What a comic.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
So did south Viet Nam become the state or did they invade and conquer the sovereign north as well? Wouldn't invading the North have been a big no no to the UN and USSR?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

This is cute:
https://i.imgur.com/fNZwEuF.mp4

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
So the second gunman was Judd and something happened with Cal that gave the game away. Which is why Judd was so pally with the family afterwards.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Collateral posted:

So did south Viet Nam become the state or did they invade and conquer the sovereign north as well? Wouldn't invading the North have been a big no no to the UN and USSR?

What are they gonna do about it? God is real and he's an American :smugbert:

Hey Chief
Feb 21, 2013

Been looking up a bunch of songs due to the show. 'Everytime You Go Away' is a Hall & Oates song from 1980, but it became a chart-topping track when Paul Young covered it in... 1985. Same year, Hall & Oates performed it at the Apollo Theater in New York (if anyone could tell me whether they survived, that would be appreciated)

Mozart's Requiem has seen a lot of use throughout the episodes, but I don't believe they played it until the 'Amen' before this one.

A little tired of the asian store clerk cliche, tho

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Hey Chief posted:

A little tired of the asian store clerk cliche, tho
I mean, the shop is in Vietnam. I don't think the idea was "let's make the clerk Asian." Everyone is Asian. The cops are Asian. The puppet guy is Asian. The orphanage lady is Asian, as are all the orphans.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I mean, the shop is in Vietnam. I don't think the idea was "let's make the clerk Asian." Everyone is Asian. The cops are Asian. The puppet guy is Asian. The orphanage lady is Asian, as are all the orphans.

They’re all Asian but Angela speaks to them in English in Vietnam and everyone else spoke Vietnamese to her was a small detail that I did not like. Why doesn’t she just know speak Vietnamese or a hybrid of both languages? Small nitpick but it didn’t work for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Hilario Baldness posted:

What’s revealed in Doomsday Clock is that the DC Universe is really a “metaverse” with Superman as the linchpin.

Every time you try to reboot or restructure the universe, it reforms itself around the most important thing in existence, which is Superman. His is the story of all stories, the supreme reason for the existence of superheroes.

Dr Manhattan has been tinkering with DC history and watching the universe “heal” itself, and the changes to Superman.

When he first arrives at DC, Superman first appears in June 1938. He makes some changes and now Superman arrives in the late 50’s. More changes and we get today’s version of Superman.