Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Is there anyone out there who hasn't modded their Quest? I sorta get that it wasn't made to be used long term for the most part considering the battery life. But every time I see anything about the Quest, the first thing people mention is getting this, or getting that. I suppose Link maybe exacerbates the problem.

Depends on what you consider a "mod";

I got some "kiwi knuckle straps" https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07XYYNXJ3

And a red "silicone cover face mask" https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07X4CVSZL

I used the knuckle straps for a few days but I didn't keep them on as they made my grip uncomfortable. I'm not sure if the face mask counts as a mod but I like how it keeps the face mask pad from getting disgusting so that stays. Also makes the Quest have a red "trim" which makes it easier to spot

I don't play VR for more than 60-90 minutes and don't have a weak neck so the rear battery thing seems super excessive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Hadlock posted:

Depends on what you consider a "mod";

I got some "kiwi knuckle straps" https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07XYYNXJ3

And a red "silicone cover face mask" https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07X4CVSZL

I used the knuckle straps for a few days but I didn't keep them on as they made my grip uncomfortable. I'm not sure if the face mask counts as a mod but I like how it keeps the face mask pad from getting disgusting so that stays. Also makes the Quest have a red "trim" which makes it easier to spot

I don't play VR for more than 60-90 minutes and don't have a weak neck so the rear battery thing seems super excessive

Mostly whatever you can strap on the headset is what I mean. I've seen people put on battery banks (sure), taped up AA batteries (why) and rolls of quarters ( :psyduck: ). The other end of the spectrum is people removing the original straps and retrofitting the HTC Vive's Deluxe Audio Strap with 3D printed mount points.

The stuff you have there I'd consider just plain accessories.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'm finding Beat Saber near impossible to play because I keep hitting buttons by accident that brings up menus. It isn't too bad on the easy difficulty levels, but I find myself jumping to the hard ones right away, being a 20-year bemani series vet at this point. I can get maybe 10 seconds into a song before I accidentally open like 30 different menus. Is there a way to disable button presses in game?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

BabyRyoga posted:

I'm finding Beat Saber near impossible to play because I keep hitting buttons by accident that brings up menus. It isn't too bad on the easy difficulty levels, but I find myself jumping to the hard ones right away, being a 20-year bemani series vet at this point. I can get maybe 10 seconds into a song before I accidentally open like 30 different menus. Is there a way to disable button presses in game?

You can set it to "hold" which ends up solving it unless you're somehow death gripping buttons.

What headset/controllers?

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Dec 4, 2019

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

EbolaIvory posted:

You can set it to "hold" which ends up solving it unless you're somehow death gripping buttons.

What headset/controllers?

Rift S with the controllers that come with it, bought through Steam.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

BabyRyoga posted:

Rift S with the controllers that come with it, bought through Steam.

Pretty much gotta just set it to hold then. Any "odd grip" you're going to be reaching over or around buttons. Default through, Not sure how you'd hit em tbh.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Played some Superhot VR last night.

Maybe I'm crazy but it seems like you can't down a person with an open-hand slap. And that's a travesty.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

RandomBlue posted:

Index still has lesser IPD range and I personally like the Oculus touch controllers better than the knuckles. Index is definitely not the best solution for everyone, though it may be for many.

I also noticed significantly worse god rays with the Index than the Quest, almost as bad as the CV1. It's the one big blemish on an otherwise impeccable headset, in my opinion (I also think the Index controllers are laid out pretty awkwardly for everything that isn't gripping, but I imagine I'd get used to it fairly quickly).

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Gave the new Quest a quick run yesterday and I have to say the visuals are a nice improvement, coming from the CV1, but the comfort is a net downgrade for now (still waiting for my Anker 10k power bank), even with the backstrap way down the back of my head. At the moment I can choose between the headset pushing "hard-ish" on my forehead or on the top of my cheeks, with no comfortable resting position after just a few minutes. I have to say, as soon as I apply some downward pressure on my backstrap, the headsets immediately becomes more comfortable, so I'll give it a better go as soon as my counterweight arrives.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

sethsez posted:

I also noticed significantly worse god rays with the Index than the Quest, almost as bad as the CV1. It's the one big blemish on an otherwise impeccable headset, in my opinion (I also think the Index controllers are laid out pretty awkwardly for everything that isn't gripping, but I imagine I'd get used to it fairly quickly).

Try cleaning your lens first. Secondly, yes the Index has very bad glare. I wouldn't call them worse god rays since it seems a bit different. The Index more ends up with a light halo around everything bright instead of running rays like on the other HMD, yeah it's pretty bad but I'm happy to put up with it because everything else is so good.

Mostly it's on devs to not put bright objects in dark scenes. The full bright Unreal logo against black is a worst case that hopefully most devs won't do. Kind of like the SDE on the first gen HMD once you're in game and moving around you quickly forget the glare, but it can be frustrating while loading up the experiences.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Which is why I think it is dumb that the quest loading screen is just the white Oculus circle on a full black background

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

There's several reasons why that's dumb. Softlock while booting? Now you have a faint outline of the Oculus logo burnt in all of the time!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BabyRyoga posted:

Lol, my friend had this problem when I demoed it to him

You're rocking out too hard!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Chin Strap posted:

Which is why I think it is dumb that the quest loading screen is just the white Oculus circle on a full black background

Worse is games that have the screen go pure white.

Fallout 4's into is like designed to destroy your eyeballs. Its honestly offensive they charge so much money and spent zero time on it.

Seriously the screen goes full white for like 4 loving minutes, it takes FOREVER and is painful, and there's no audio cue to tell you its safe to open your eyes.

gently caress bethesda.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Hey Oculus S people, what are you using for sound? Mine won’t be hooked up until tomorrow so I’ve got time to shop but I’m thinking of just trying my PlayStation Gold headset.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Rolo posted:

Hey Oculus S people, what are you using for sound? Mine won’t be hooked up until tomorrow so I’ve got time to shop but I’m thinking of just trying my PlayStation Gold headset.

Built in audio in pretty much all the headsets is fine; I wouldn't recommend messing around with separate headphones and extra cables unless you've tried it and really don't like it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Reddit says stock sound is terrible. If it’s semi ok I’ll leave it be.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Rolo posted:

Reddit says stock sound is terrible. If it’s passable I’ll leave it be.
It's more referential than anything. Don't expect xTrEEM™ quality audiophile BS and you'll be okay. I'm looking for some like $15ish earbuds to supplement it, but it's really not a big deal.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

scuz posted:

It's more referential than anything. Don't expect xTrEEM™ quality audiophile BS and you'll be okay. I'm looking for some like $15ish earbuds to supplement it, but it's really not a big deal.

Ok cool. I’m not an audio dork, I’ve been using TV speakers my entire adult life. The only reason I have the Gold headset is for party chat, the headset comes right off after.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

That Italian Guy posted:

Gave the new Quest a quick run yesterday and I have to say the visuals are a nice improvement, coming from the CV1, but the comfort is a net downgrade for now (still waiting for my Anker 10k power bank), even with the backstrap way down the back of my head. At the moment I can choose between the headset pushing "hard-ish" on my forehead or on the top of my cheeks, with no comfortable resting position after just a few minutes. I have to say, as soon as I apply some downward pressure on my backstrap, the headsets immediately becomes more comfortable, so I'll give it a better go as soon as my counterweight arrives.

I've tried adjusting the straps again and played a couple of 3 rounders in Thrill of the Fight. Maybe it's the general fatigue, but I don't feel Headset specific fatigue this time.

I've also tried the Link and boy this cable works but it's super heavy and rigid. If you are looking into a link cable, it's probably a good idea to try and find one with a T junction at the end (similar to the charging cable that comes with the Quest) to alleviate some of the extra stress the cable puts on your head. I really hope that when the official Link cable is released there will be some kind of accessory to guide the Link cable (original or 3rd party) along the headset the same way the native cable is handled on the Rift. I can see myself smashing into that cable hard otherwise.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah like I can see watching a movie using the Rift S speakers being annoying but for the average game it's fine.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

That Italian Guy posted:

I've tried adjusting the straps again and played a couple of 3 rounders in Thrill of the Fight. Maybe it's the general fatigue, but I don't feel Headset specific fatigue this time.

I've also tried the Link and boy this cable works but it's super heavy and rigid. If you are looking into a link cable, it's probably a good idea to try and find one with a T junction at the end (similar to the charging cable that comes with the Quest) to alleviate some of the extra stress the cable puts on your head. I really hope that when the official Link cable is released there will be some kind of accessory to guide the Link cable (original or 3rd party) along the headset the same way the native cable is handled on the Rift. I can see myself smashing into that cable hard otherwise.

Yeah they've already shown the official one comes with some strap to route it to the rear of the headset.

I know they're charging 80 bucks for it, but honestly if you're planning to use link a lot I don't think its too big ask for a thin and flexible cable thats also 5m long.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Regarding headphones: I'm not an audiophile, but I ended up buying the 1st party earbuds for my Quest if only to isolate myself from outside noise. A big part of VR for me is immersion, and I've found keeping out sound helps a lot with that.

Weird thing about these earbuds is that aren't connected to each other and just plug into the left and right side of the Quest. Turns out if you plug in the earbud for your right ear in the left socket and wear it in your left ear, you still get the audio meant for the right. They aren't labeled R and L or anything, so it's difficult to tell which is supposed to be which. There have been several times I've reacted to a noise from my left that was supposed to be from my right.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

BabyRyoga posted:

Try changing your grip to just holding the stick of the controller (the bottom part with the triggers). Basically hold the controller like the hilt of a sword, with your thumb wrapped around it instead of going up to the buttons.

That's how I play Beat Saber and Thrill of the Fight and it has eliminated my accidental button presses.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Professor Wayne posted:

Regarding headphones: I'm not an audiophile, but I ended up buying the 1st party earbuds for my Quest if only to isolate myself from outside noise. A big part of VR for me is immersion, and I've found keeping out sound helps a lot with that.

Weird thing about these earbuds is that aren't connected to each other and just plug into the left and right side of the Quest. Turns out if you plug in the earbud for your right ear in the left socket and wear it in your left ear, you still get the audio meant for the right. They aren't labeled R and L or anything, so it's difficult to tell which is supposed to be which. There have been several times I've reacted to a noise from my left that was supposed to be from my right.

You might have some broken ones. When they first started making them both the "left" and "right" output sound to the same side. It was a hilarious manufacturing/QA defect as the SOLE purpose of them was that they would be correct sound per side. If you contact support they'll send you a working set.

When did you buy them? If you got them near launch they are almost certainly wired/built wrong.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Ordered them on August 3. They work fine if I flip them, so it's not a huge deal.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Tip posted:

Try changing your grip to just holding the stick of the controller (the bottom part with the triggers). Basically hold the controller like the hilt of a sword, with your thumb wrapped around it instead of going up to the buttons.

That's how I play Beat Saber and Thrill of the Fight and it has eliminated my accidental button presses.

The right way to play Thrill of the Fight is turn the controllers upside down so you can hold your hands to your face without the ring hitting the visor.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
I finally got around to playing Robo Recall and good lord is this game good. I rarely see it talked about in "Best of VR" lists though.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Calipark posted:

I finally got around to playing Robo Recall and good lord is this game good. I rarely see it talked about in "Best of VR" lists though.

I've been playing also, and I agree it's very good. Good graphics, good enemy variety, good interaction (grabbing enemies to use them as shield, pull an arm, throw them, catch bullets and return them, juggling enemies, etc) and good combo system (the number of things the game recognize as special action that give points, like headshots from far away, kneecaps, juggling in the air, double kills, kill retreating enemies, etc).
However, at the end of the day I wish it wouldn't be a score-chaser gamer, which don't motivate me at all, and be a more normal game about surviving/doing objectives and with different present difficulties to select.

In fact this is a problem for me in VR games in general, as there are lot of arcade/high score type of games.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Beat Saber is starting to annoy me with the uneven difficulty. Why some songs I can do on Hard mode on the first try, and others I need to play them 4 times in the slowed speed setting.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Tom Guycot posted:

In the future, the last thing you want to do is try and "power through" feeling motion sick. All you'll do is make yourself sick as a dog and form connections in your brain between vr and getting sick. When you start to feel motion sick, best thing is just to stop there, take a break, and come back to it later. Thats going to be the best way to build up tolerance. Also Subnautica is noooot exactly a great example of a game with comfort in mind, so you might want to get used to it more on games with more comfort options, hand directed steering, snap turning, vignetting, and such.

It was literally just long enough to go from thinking I was adjusting to swimming in VR to wanting to die. I wasn't trying to power through.

I can play Superhot or I Expect You to Die for an hour or so, but Subnautica and Lambda1 just do not compute with my delicate eye/ear situation. I'm about to buy Pistol Whip, so we'll see how that goes.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Clitch posted:

It was literally just long enough to go from thinking I was adjusting to swimming in VR to wanting to die. I wasn't trying to power through.

I can play Superhot or I Expect You to Die for an hour or so, but Subnautica and Lambda1 just do not compute with my delicate eye/ear situation. I'm about to buy Pistol Whip, so we'll see how that goes.

Games made for VR are going to be more comfortable than flatscreen games adapted for VR like, almost every time

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Lemming posted:

Games made for VR are going to be more comfortable than flatscreen games adapted for VR like, almost every time

Yeah you can't hate on Subnautica for their implementation, it is a very small team and the DK2 was barely out when the game first hit Steam. There were like no games at all of that scope and they hacked it in as a courtesy. No one has ever tried to advertise it as comfortable or anything, it's just an as-is attempt, some people love it and some can't stomach it.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Turin Turambar posted:

Beat Saber is starting to annoy me with the uneven difficulty. Why some songs I can do on Hard mode on the first try, and others I need to play them 4 times in the slowed speed setting.

There's a difficulty curve over the course of the OST songs. In my experience, a Vol.3 song on Normal is about equivalent to a Vol.1 song on Hard, and the DLC songs lean towards the hard end of that spectrum.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Calipark posted:

Something about it is super stressful for me. It's like it really tricks my lizard brain into thinking that nope, I'm really surrounded by killer robots, you can't just take the headset off and make them go away.

The intro doesn't really help, and I discovered when having to start over on a new computer that it's not skippable. I think the first time I played, I actually ducked at the last second. Also when starting over, for some reason I couldn't successfully draw my pistol when that first robot jumped down. It was a panicky moment but strangely cathartic to grab its handle and yank its head off before getting myself sorted out.

And I'm not presenting that as a bad thing.

I think part of my problem is that my depth perception normally kind of sucks, I'm super bad at judging distances and stuff. The forced VR version actually winds up looking more 3D than real life to me a lot of times. Even back when I had a Virtual Boy, the boxes that the treasures sat on in Wario Land were like, beyond realistic to me, like no object could ever look like that.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Turin Turambar posted:

The skill curve in beat saber has literally no end. I’ve been playing quite religiously since the game came out 18 months ago and I’m constantly being challenged and improving.
As far as difficulty levels go the OST hard and expert difficulties are very, very basic in the wide realm of beat saber difficulties and are generally surpassed in a week or so of mild practice. My mom is 60 and can beat expert OST songs on the Quest after a few weeks of play and she is the furthest thing from a gamer that exists.

Relatively on topic
The Beat Saber community should probably move to a point score for difficulty, because a lot of “hard” songs made in the past year are probably harder than all of the OST Expert songs, and plenty of Expert songs are harder than OST Expert+, and Expert+ ranges from “Hard” to “Expert++++”. The names are meaningless vs a number score can just continually be incremented and would probably allow things to remain accurate relative to time/meta.
Not a perfect solution either though, but maybe the start of something better.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Turin Turambar posted:

I've been playing also, and I agree it's very good. Good graphics, good enemy variety, good interaction (grabbing enemies to use them as shield, pull an arm, throw them, catch bullets and return them, juggling enemies, etc) and good combo system (the number of things the game recognize as special action that give points, like headshots from far away, kneecaps, juggling in the air, double kills, kill retreating enemies, etc).
However, at the end of the day I wish it wouldn't be a score-chaser gamer, which don't motivate me at all, and be a more normal game about surviving/doing objectives and with different present difficulties to select.

In fact this is a problem for me in VR games in general, as there are lot of arcade/high score type of games.

Yeah its a really fun game, lots of variety, fun secret things (like grabbing the drones and using them as a laser gun, or killing the guys that lock you in place and grabbing the laser whip from their hands), and juuuuust enough variety in levels and mission types, with some boss battles for me to enjoy it as opposed to even more pure 'arcade' style games like space pirate trainer. It does absolutely have the problem of being a high score game at the end of the day, which there are a ton of.

If you're looking for story, objective, single player games, have a look at:

Asgard's Wrath
Stormlands
Lone Echo
The Mage's Tale
Arizona Sunshine
Moss
Chronos
Journey of the Gods
Apex Construct
Budget Cuts
Espire 1
Arktika.1
Wilson's Heart
The Doom 3 BFG VR mod (seriously, its better than it sounds. It feels more native VR than many VR native games its such a good mod)
Skyrim VR
Fallout 4 VR
From Other Suns

The first 4 I absolutely recommend, as you go down the list, I'd have a look at trailers, some gameplay, and see if they look interesting.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Thoom posted:

There's a difficulty curve over the course of the OST songs. In my experience, a Vol.3 song on Normal is about equivalent to a Vol.1 song on Hard, and the DLC songs lean towards the hard end of that spectrum.

Oh, my complaint was after playing only songs from Vol. 1...

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tom Guycot posted:

The first 4 I absolutely recommend, as you go down the list, I'd have a look at trailers, some gameplay, and see if they look interesting.

I'm still Link-less, I'm waiting patiently for the official cable. But I will remember your list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Turin Turambar posted:

Oh, my complaint was after playing only songs from Vol. 1...

Yup and the mapping don’t get better either. Worse in most cases imo.

I honestly hate the ost. It’s trash.