Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Applewhite posted:

It’s a slippery slope. Next thing you know they’ll say there shouldn’t be any tedious, time wasting parts of the game at all.

And they'll get exactly that cause there won't be a Game at all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

There is a game though. It exists, you can play it, you can asteroid mine (until you glitch out, fly across the galaxy and crash, which happens all the time), hunt bounties (see above) and dog fight other players (see above again). It is not a good game. I would never pay money for it. It does nothing Croberts has promised, but there is like, something you can install and play.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

KiteAuraan posted:

There is a game though. It exists, you can play it, you can asteroid mine (until you glitch out, fly across the galaxy and crash, which happens all the time), hunt bounties (see above) and dog fight other players (see above again). It is not a good game. I would never pay money for it. It does nothing Croberts has promised, but there is like, something you can install and play.

I would argue that there's a bunch of systems and mechanics that, would they interact seamless with one another, could ostensibly make a game.

So far, all that's there is a minimal viable product.

EARLY DAYS

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Yes, but can I get blue electric liquid injected directly into my avatar's womb as punishment for getting captured by pirates from the Fourth Stimpire?

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

You can imagine it. Which is 99% of what my friends who "play" is do when they play. Theorycraft about how it would be great if they could fly in cities. Because you cannot do that.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I’m not saying everyone who uses the word degenerate is a Nazi, but it sure is a really popular word with nazis

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Have they started development on this game yet?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

a new study bible! posted:

Have they started development on this game yet?

They're still in the fundraising stage I think.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Applewhite posted:

They're still in the fundraising stage I think.

How TF are haters gonna talk poo poo about this game when they ain't even started developing it!? Give them a full development cycle and then those envious nerds are gonna be begging to be first mate on my space brothel and slave frigate 🤬

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

How TF are haters gonna talk poo poo about this game when they ain't even started developing it!? Give them a full development cycle and then those envious nerds are gonna be begging to be first mate on my space brothel and slave frigate 🤬

Is it too late to sign up to be one of the slaves?

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Applewhite posted:

Is it too late to sign up to be one of the slaves?

Any fellow rapscallion is welcome to join, provided that you swear fealty to your captain (me), pass my rigorous entrance exam (99 percent of applicants fail this), and complete the initiation trials (may or may not include monkeys, penguins, and a bottle of space Jack Daniels).

Think you are man enough?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Any fellow rapscallion is welcome to join, provided that you swear fealty to your captain (me), pass my rigorous entrance exam (99 percent of applicants fail this), and complete the initiation trials (may or may not include monkeys, penguins, and a bottle of space Jack Daniels).

Think you are man enough?

My avatar is female, will that be a problem?

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Ok I want to sit next to this guy when he loads 40 boxes individually from his cave onto his ship. I'd watch him like a loving hawk to see if his bliss levels decrease at all between box 1 and box 35, and if he lets out a sigh when it's done and the fun is over.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

They're onto you.

I like that mod. I think. I don't read reddit but they have a colored name so I'm guessing they're a mod.

Also, what's CoE?

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I know it's been said already but such a massive chunk of this games audience seriously hasn't played a game in 20 years or more.

These biomes and weather effects Citizens are jizzing over are in tons of other games. The missions are below-standard MMO poo poo, the shooting is below average, the graphics have been outclassed by regular AAA games, the economy is non-existent.

They keep yammering on about "hundreds" of hours of gameplay" but it's just broken fetch quests.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I would argue that there's a bunch of systems and mechanics that, would they interact seamless with one another, could ostensibly make a game.

So far, all that's there is a minimal viable product.

EARLY DAYS
lol viable? You sure about that?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fleetwood Crack posted:

lol viable? You sure about that?

in the game development industry terms "minimum viable product" means "the micro-transactions are functional"

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Rutibex posted:

in the game development industry terms "minimum viable product" means "the micro-transactions are functional"
Ahh I see. Yeah, SC definitely has that aspect of their business model down pat. Although the transactions can hardly be described as 'micro'.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Pennywise the Frown posted:

They're onto you.

I like that mod. I think. I don't read reddit but they have a colored name so I'm guessing they're a mod.

Also, what's CoE?

Kickstarter: Chronicles of Elyria - Epic Story MMORPG with Aging & Death

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Oh they're only 2 years behind their release date.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

My friend from college was basically employee #1 for this rich guy starting back in 2015. I tried to tell him how much of a loving scam that whole project was (No one makes MMOs anymore god dammit), but he wouldn't listen. That was also before he mentioned his boss kept being late on paying him because he kept :redflag: "forgetting" :redflag:

He eventually left after the kickstarter and I haven't talked to him about it since but I'm sure he has nothing good to say about it.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

It isn't anybody's business what I spend my money on but let me show you how big of a loving moron I am by showing you all what I spend my money on. - an idiot

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Holy poo poo that's just sad and :stare:

"If I can't spend that much, what will my future and my kids future be like? In comparison I seem to be poor."

Wow.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Elderbean posted:

I know it's been said already but such a massive chunk of this games audience seriously hasn't played a game in 20 years or more.

These biomes and weather effects Citizens are jizzing over are in tons of other games. The missions are below-standard MMO poo poo, the shooting is below average, the graphics have been outclassed by regular AAA games, the economy is non-existent.

They keep yammering on about "hundreds" of hours of gameplay" but it's just broken fetch quests.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Brb writing my doctoral thesis on why the controversy around the video game Star Citizen is a metaphor for the human condition.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

I just finished Rebel Galaxy Outlaw and if I had to manually load/unload my cargo, spend 5 minutes flying toward a dock, spend hours flying between systems, wait for a full pit crew to fuel my ship and give me flagged signals while i filled out paperwork and waited to be able to undock I would have demanded a refund after like an hour if they didn't give me the ability to skip all of that.

It was even kind of tedious having to fly 7-8 systems even when you have "Autopilot" which spits you out at your destination within a few seconds because you get dropped out of autopilot by random ships, distress calls, hostiles or whatever else.

I don't even understand why they demand to have the world's stupidest and boring bullshit to deal with in a video game. I love tedium and grinding and even I would shoot myself after the 62,357th 15 second ladder climbing animation before I got into my ship to spend 45 seconds undocking so I could sit in a traveling screen for 45 minutes to spend 7 minutes manually flying down to a planet to spend 20 seconds climbing out of my ship so I can load cargo for a half hour.....ugh gently caress these people

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Rebel Galaxy Outlaw has simulated paperwork?

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
are you the demographic for star citizen?

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

God drat, that is taking CIG bootlicking to the next level

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The funny thing is that a game can make almost any activity fun and engaging if there's actual challenge, rewarding of effort and an otherwise interesting gameplay loop involved. See Papers, Please, being literally a paperwork simulator, which both encourages and takes advantage of the player getting into a routine and paying attention to the little things.

That said though, there's a reason not every game does that. Though if Minecraft mods are any indication, tedious overcomplication for its own sake is something a certain kind of wannabe developer frequently mistakes for good design.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
As I and others have been saying for a while, anyone excited for the meltdown when this thing implodes is in for a huge disappointment. They're so delusional they are already starting to move the goalpost to "I have plenty of spare money to give them so I don't care if they waste it all and never deliver anything. We're totally triggering these poors!"

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

StarCitizen: Triggering Poors since 2011

This social pressure crap where people who grew up on Fornite now see internet JPEGs as honest-to-goodness status symbols is an interesting unintended consequence of living in what is essentially a post-scarcity world for these people. Like Heinlein's "For Us The Living" except everyone is depressed and laying on the floor of an apartment staring at a black mirror.

Elderbean posted:

Shenmue 3 defenders.

There is a little nuance there, in that what's being developed is total crap given the current state of the industry. Like parents still probably beam if their kid programs Pong in Kindergarten because they don't know their school bought a box where you just plug the red peg into the red hole and mumble mumble STEM?

I can't fault people for going wow this looks new and special. I can fault them when I know they can see No Man's Sky and Elite: Dangerous already exist.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Pennywise the Frown posted:

They're onto you.

Also, what's CoE?

Chronicles of Elyria, a crowdfunded MMORPG. I think Lethality is rooting for it.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The funny thing is that a game can make almost any activity fun and engaging if there's actual challenge, rewarding of effort and an otherwise interesting gameplay loop involved. See Papers, Please, being literally a paperwork simulator, which both encourages and takes advantage of the player getting into a routine and paying attention to the little things.

That said though, there's a reason not every game does that. Though if Minecraft mods are any indication, tedious overcomplication for its own sake is something a certain kind of wannabe developer frequently mistakes for good design.

Also, see Sokoban for making the act of moving boxes around a warehouse interesting.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

revwinnebago posted:

StarCitizen: Triggering Poors since 2011

This social pressure crap where people who grew up on Fornite now see internet JPEGs as honest-to-goodness status symbols is an interesting unintended consequence of living in what is essentially a post-scarcity world for these people. Like Heinlein's "For Us The Living" except everyone is depressed and laying on the floor of an apartment staring at a black mirror.

Shenmue 3 defenders.

There is a little nuance there, in that what's being developed is total crap given the current state of the industry. Like parents still probably beam if their kid programs Pong in Kindergarten because they don't know their school bought a box where you just plug the red peg into the red hole and mumble mumble STEM?

I can't fault people for going wow this looks new and special. I can fault them when I know they can see No Man's Sky and Elite: Dangerous already exist.

whats wrong with Shenmue 3? I never actually played the Shenmue games really, I got about four hours into the first one last year and really enjoyed it but never finished and now it's on my backlog. my understanding is 3 is more of the same which, while not for everyone, is a deftly executed little subgenre not quite comparable to stuff like star citizen

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Applewhite posted:

Yes, but can I get blue electric liquid injected directly into my avatar's womb as punishment for getting captured by pirates from the Fourth Stimpire?

The worst kind of fluid

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
what