Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

univbee posted:

Correct. There are two main technical barriers specific to game streaming (that you don't have when just streaming audio or video passively like with Netflix/YouTube/Podcasts etc. even for live events), both of which have the same core problem.

Due to the interactive nature of the medium (i.e. you press a button and that manipulates something on the remote end, the "outcome" isn't pre-determined), this means the following sequence has to happen with as little turnaround time as possible:

- User (you) presses a button, let's say a jump button.
- Signal is transmitted to the remote server. This costs ping time. The action is performed on this server (your character jumps).
- The audio/video signal has to be compressed as quickly as possible (uncompressed data rates are insane and completely unworkable for this purpose, so this is a necessary step), which means using very quick compression algorithms that can't take advantage of the efficiencies you get from an encode for something pre-recorded.
- Said AV signal has to be sent back to you the player's device, so you see what happens.

Assuming the server technology is very good, you need the fastest ping time possible to the server, the faster the better. All the upload/download speed in the world won't help you if your ping times are through the roof.

You can sometimes work around/mitigate these issues if the game is the type where a precise set of known-in-advance inputs are the only correct win sequence, and deviation is counted as a loss. Think the old LaserDisc games like Dragon's Lair, or Dance Dance Revolution.

Now with video streaming like YouTube/Netflix, ping time largely doesn't matter, and you can also take advantage of these services caching several seconds of video so connection hiccups don't make the video stutter. You know how if you lose your internet while you're watching a video it'll keep playing for several seconds until it actually stops playing? This is why. However with games you can't precache what's going to happen in the next 10 seconds as that entirely depends on what buttons you push. You're also at the mercy of your ping times. Even a good ping can be miserable to play on if it's not consistent. Like you know how in Punch-Out!! there's counterattacks that have to be done with precise timing, and you get into a timing rhythm where you're like "OK, Super Macho Man just started spinning, I have to start a dodge in 0.5 seconds." Now on a local console, that timing is consistent. On a streaming connection it probably won't be, because even with a stable connection the exact amount of time the signal takes to go client->server->client can vary pretty significantly for no reason whatsoever, and a lot of what can create a tiny delay could be poo poo in between you and the server you have no control over at all. Mind you, we know Thumper is a game with similar reaction requirements and it appears Stadia's version is more forgiving timing-wise because of this.

The thing with network infrastructure especially for consumers is that low ping times, especially the extremely low ping times demanded by gamers, don't matter for most users, especially on a cell phone, so low and steady ping times weren't exactly a priority with most cell technology, because is anyone really going to notice if their text or email arrived 2 or 3 seconds later than it could have with a lower ping? Twitch streams are usually like 45 seconds late from the events actually transpiring, but most of the time people don't notice (but it can make for amusing incidents if someone calls in, for example).

The more important factor is that your streaming game service cannot actually do anything to fix network problems. They're built around what's functionally the old "spherical egg in a vacuum" mode for ideal network conditions, and the actual network between your device and their servers is both anything but and owned by a third party who gives zero fucks about optimal network infrastructure design because it's expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

univbee posted:

Pfff, maybe on your phone :smug:

You're right. Maybe if I had a Google Pixel® 4, a Google Pixel® 5, a Google Pixel® XL, a Google Pixel M®, or a Google Pixel® Q, perhaps it would look different on Google® Stadia®

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

hostile apostle posted:

So, in your opinion people want to play AAA games in 720P on small screen phones on wifi next to their 4K TVs and laptops.

What people want, and what stadia should be trying to sell, is the convenience. It being higher res is very much secondary to that, and most people aren’t getting the convenience.

I know you’re a true believer but gently caress me how can you not just listen to other people’s experiences?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

CJacobs posted:

Why the hell would I care what resolution something is if I'm playing it on my phone, the screen is like a couple inches wide

1080p and 4k look identical on a phone

They also look identical on stadia.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I know you’re a true believer but gently caress me how can you not just listen to other people’s experiences?

He's paid to ignore them. :ssh:

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad

What people want, and what stadia should be trying to sell, is the convenience. It being higher res is very much secondary to that, and most people aren’t getting the convenience.

How do you define convenience, in this case?

And apparently dismissing a post with a link and some edgy remark with no substance is not listening to experiences?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

hostile apostle posted:

So, in your opinion people want to play AAA games in 720P on small screen phones on wifi next to their 4K TVs and laptops.

https://twitter.com/Danielman20/status/1186324211859705858

https://twitter.com/N4G/status/1133007162710663168

https://twitter.com/SpawnWaveMedia/status/908480186672467969

Yes.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Here's the thing - people who care about 4k gaming are likely people who have consoles, and streaming is not the best option for that crowd.

People who might be interested in playing on the phones are either people who are not always by their consoles, or are people who don't care about the best quality.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I said it before but streaming will continue to be second fiddle to actual hardware for a long time and the only way it'll work in the next decade is by tying it to an already existing ecosystem. The only way you'll deal with the increase latency, degraded visuals, and general wonkyness is if you can come back to the main system and play without those issues seamlessly. The reason you compromised in the first place was because you couldn't take the console/pc with you

Google knows they didn't have this, so they just bullshitted everyone by making them think that stadia can be a substitution for consoles/pcs

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Cemetry Gator posted:

Here's the thing - people who care about 4k gaming are likely people who have consoles,

Hahahaha ha wow

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

I mean, fair. The One X and Pro struggle to hit 4K as it is. The rest of the consoles don’t at all. PCs hit 4K if you really want them to but those are rarely attached to TVs and the PC market is mostly MMOs and The Sims and whatnot, full of people who don’t care about 4K or precise input.

This makes Stadia’s 4K centric hardcore gamer marketing all the more baffling. They promised something few people care much about and then failed to deliver it.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
let me stream a game over the internet like a dumbass

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

hostile apostle posted:

And apparently dismissing a post with a link and some edgy remark with no substance is not listening to experiences?

The stadia is not convenient for a shitload of people because the games are unplayable for them my dude, and we both know that’s not nearly the only thing posted in this thread you’ve straight up ignored.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006

The stadia is not convenient for a shitload of people because the games are unplayable for them my dude, and we both know that’s not nearly the only thing posted in this thread you’ve straight up ignored.

So your response to my question is just to spout nonsense. They seem perfectly playable to me and others in this thread who have actually used the service

You didn't answer my question about how you define convenience.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Go to sleep apostle. By the way 1444

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

hostile apostle posted:

So your response to my question is just to spout nonsense. They seem perfectly playable to me and others in this thread who have actually used the service

Person A is not Person B. The people who it works for have better internet connections than the ones who it doesn't work for. As it is not consistently viable for users based on using Stadia alone vs purchasing a console or PC, it is less convenient for gameplay.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

what game will be stadia's Amazing Frog

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

The 7th Guest posted:

what game will be stadia's Amazing Frog

RDR2

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

how do i see stadia's game prices??

i went to https://store.google.com/product/stadia_games

and it just shows a list of games with no prices

what's the price on witcher 3?

very convenient service indeed

edit: is witcher 3 even out for htis piece of poo poo

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

ethanol posted:

Why do you care eth?
Did you pawn your pc for pizza again?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

no i wanted to see if witcher 3 was full price for a 5 year old game

the 9900k/2080 is doin gods work thnx, not like stadia

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ethanol posted:

Witcher 3 is not a Stadia title. Cyberpunk 2077 will be, though.

AFAIK the only way to tell the prices is through the app with an active Stadia account (i.e. at this time you need a Founder's pass or Buddy pass). I think by and large the prices are full SRP across the board. Discounts through Black Friday weren't terribly significant for the most part, like rear end Creed and NBA 2K20 were 50% off (so still $30US for the basic editions) and Final Fantasy 15 was a whole $10 off ($30 as well I think, yay). They want like $50US for Just Dance 2020. They have the same excessive editions and pricing as on other platforms, too, so like they have a Legend Edition for NBA 2K20 and an Ultimate Edition of rear end Creed that's like $120US or something.

I'm guessing with these since I can only see CAD prices, but it's rough all around, and uPlay+ isn't yet an option for the Ubisoft titles.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

univbee posted:

- User (you) presses a button, let's say a jump button.
- Signal is transmitted to the remote server. This costs ping time. The action is performed on this server (your character jumps).
- The audio/video signal has to be compressed as quickly as possible (uncompressed data rates are insane and completely unworkable for this purpose, so this is a necessary step), which means using very quick compression algorithms that can't take advantage of the efficiencies you get from an encode for something pre-recorded.
- Said AV signal has to be sent back to you the player's device, so you see what happens.

With Stadia this seems more like this:

The game is continusly playing and rendering frames.
If no input is provided by the client, the game asume the most reasonable input.
Stadia serverside is continuosly compressing the image.
Imagen is streamed to a remote device (like chromecast)

What happens when the frame is already rendered and the input is the wrong assumption?, I believe in most games the input is queued, but Google talked about re-rendering the frame.

So the Stadia latency woulbe something like = ((worst case scenario * M) + (best case scenario* N)) / (N+M) where M >> N

The main difference with what you describe is that the server don't wait for server input to render frames, in some cases that will lead to the frame being correct, so the time to render that frame will be "zero".

What you describe is like the worst case scenario, where the server always predict wrong the player actions.

Tei fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Dec 4, 2019

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I think I mentioned this before, but some modern emulators of the "SNES and other video games" variety have started offering read-ahead for some crazy poo poo. Here's a good video explanation and demonstration by the author of the most accurate SNES emulator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AvOa8yt6Vc

The resources you need for this are pretty nuts, though, by and large it involves being able to run your software in two (or more) instances that are one frame off from each-other, and being able to run instances faster than real time to catch up 1 frame when required.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

hostile apostle posted:

Not having to spend $500 to re-buy your games collection would be pretty convenient.

doingitwrong posted:

PCs hit 4K if you really want them to but those are rarely attached to TVs and the PC market is mostly MMOs and The Sims and whatnot, full of people who don’t care about 4K or precise input.

lol this is a pretty great troll

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Person A is not Person B. The people who it works for have better internet connections than the ones who it doesn't work for. As it is not consistently viable for users based on using Stadia alone vs purchasing a console or PC, it is less convenient for gameplay.

Person B is a something awful forum troll who has never used the service.

Are you redefining convenience now? Before it was being argued that Xcloud was more convenient, yet no one has said why, only presented irrelevant strawmen. I thought it was about be able to play on any device in an array of location and settings

Stadia seemed to be pretty convenient this past weekend when I was able to play at the airport when my flight was delayed with all the crazy weather. Worked pretty drat well. Completed two nightfall strikes in D2 with barely a hiccup.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

hostile apostle posted:

Are you redefining convenience now? Before it was being argued that Xcloud was more convenient, yet no one has said why, only presented irrelevant strawmen. I thought it was about be able to play on any device in an array of location and settings

Stadia seemed to be pretty convenient this past weekend when I was able to play at the airport when my flight was delayed with all the crazy weather. Worked pretty drat well. Completed two nightfall strikes in D2 with barely a hiccup.
when you make posts i laugh at them because they are very funny, please keep doing it

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

hostile apostle posted:

Playing in an airport, you're going to be stuck with a 720p stream. At that point, the only functional difference between Stadia and xCloud is price. Assuming you're playing the free version of D2, it's pretty obvious who wins here, considering xcloud is free. Yeah, it's a beta, yeah, they'll charge something for it eventually, but right at this moment, it's free.

Stadia is not free. You paid $130 for the experience. Stadia's already in the losing column here.

Oh wait, except I forgot about population silos. You see, Destiny 2 is a multiplayer game, and the quality of your experience greatly depends on the available community. With xCloud, you can play with the whole xbox userbase. If you already have a character and a clan and a big exotic collection, well hooray because it's just like playing on your xbox. If you don't, well hooray because there are plenty of other people around to help you with that.

Stadia on the other hand... well, no. I don't even want to think about what the comp queue times are like on Stadia, assuming anyone even bothers. Good luck getting that Recluse!

These are points that have already been brought up here. They're not irrelevant strawmen, you just don't like them so you're ignoring them.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Hostile stadia defender.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Playing in an airport, you're going to be stuck with a 720p stream. At that point, the only functional difference between Stadia and xCloud is price. Assuming you're playing the free version of D2, it's pretty obvious who wins here, considering xcloud is free. Yeah, it's a beta, yeah, they'll charge something for it eventually, but right at this moment, it's free.

Stadia is not free. You paid $130 for the experience. Stadia's already in the losing column here.

Oh wait, except I forgot about population silos. You see, Destiny 2 is a multiplayer game, and the quality of your experience greatly depends on the available community. With xCloud, you can play with the whole xbox userbase. If you already have a character and a clan and a big exotic collection, well hooray because it's just like playing on your xbox. If you don't, well hooray because there are plenty of other people around to help you with that.

Stadia on the other hand... well, no. I don't even want to think about what the comp queue times are like on Stadia, assuming anyone even bothers. Good luck getting that Recluse!

These are points that have already been brought up here. They're not irrelevant strawmen, you just don't like them so you're ignoring them.

Ok, just so I get this straight, now the argument is Xcloud open beta is temporarily "free" and multiplayer population. The story changes with each post Any new platform will be disadvantaged on population counts, that is true. Stadia could make itself free tomorrow and that would certainly help population counts, but that doesn't make it a sustainable business or platform.

hostile apostle fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 4, 2019

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
^^^Why are you doing this?

cams posted:

when you make posts i laugh at them because they are very funny, please keep doing it

Also someone got them a really good avatar :perfect:

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

^^^Why are you doing this?

Because instead of this thread being populated with people who actually use the service and want to talk about it, it's taken over by trolls.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

hostile apostle posted:

Because instead of this thread being populated with people who actually use the service and want to talk about it, it's taken over by trolls.

an overwhelming number of people think the service is a joke, you say?

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010

hostile apostle posted:

Going by the thread title, or any of the previous ones, what exactly were you expecting? Its not like goons were excited about this at any point.

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010

quote:

Speaking of, do you think games you purchase on Stadia will be available/usable in ten years?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

hostile apostle posted:

Ok, just so I get this straight, now the argument is Xcloud open beta is temporarily "free" and multiplayer population. The story changes with each post Any new platform will be disadvantaged on population counts, that is true. Stadia could make itself free tomorrow and that would certainly help population counts, but that doesn't make it a sustainable business or platform.

I don't know if it's "the argument", but it's the argument i'm making right now, so why not address it? I can think of a lot of arguments against Stadia, I'm not sure why you think it's important to stick to only a few.

I agree, you're correct that making Stadia free would help multiplayer population. Considering that both Nvidia and Microsoft are running open, free betas for their versions of this idea, why do you think Google decided not to do that? How important do you think it is that Stadia is financially successful in the short term?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

hostile apostle posted:

I didn’t expect you to come out and admit you bought out the user account to be an astroturfing shill, but here we are.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

hostile apostle posted:

Real talk, if you really, truly want that, go post on the Stadia subreddit. Arguing with people on the internet just makes them want to argue more. ESPECIALLY on SA.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Klyith posted:

lol this is a pretty great troll

In the November Steam hardware survey, the most popular resolution is 1080p. 64% of users have it.
https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

4K clocks in at 1.84%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

hostile apostle posted:

Wrong. Its been taken over by gleeful failure spectators.

Very different from a troll. I don't care about making you angry, I just want to read about one bonehead pr move after another suffocating the product.