Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
This show is going places but still needs more lube guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011

The REAL Goobusters posted:

They’re all Asian but Angela speaks to them in English in Vietnam and everyone else spoke Vietnamese to her was a small detail that I did not like. Why doesn’t she just know speak Vietnamese or a hybrid of both languages? Small nitpick but it didn’t work for me.

I wasn't to bothered by this, but I think that's because when I was younger a few of my Japanese friends would do the same with their family and relatives. My friend would speak in english as they were more comfortable with that while his family would respond in Japanese as that what they were more comfortable with. Both could understand each other fine and speak in the other if they wished, they just decided not to.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

HppyCmpr posted:

I wasn't to bothered by this, but I think that's because when I was younger a few of my Japanese friends would do the same with their family and relatives. My friend would speak in english as they were more comfortable with that while his family would respond in Japanese as that what they were more comfortable with. Both could understand each other fine and speak in the other if they wished, they just decided not to.

Yea same thing here, and why it seemed normal to me. I had two Korean friends, they were born in the US, but they're parents were born in Korea. All of their conversations consisted of parents speaking Korean, and the kid speaking English back to them. Also, if you talked to their parents, you had to same their full first name, like if I asked for Larry, they had no clue who I was calling for until I said Lawrence.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Oh son of a bitch

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

They’re all Asian but Angela speaks to them in English in Vietnam and everyone else spoke Vietnamese to her was a small detail that I did not like. Why doesn’t she just know speak Vietnamese or a hybrid of both languages? Small nitpick but it didn’t work for me.

Realtalk this is probably because the child actress wasn't up to the task of speaking Vietnamese.

Hey Chief
Feb 21, 2013

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I mean, the shop is in Vietnam. I don't think the idea was "let's make the clerk Asian." Everyone is Asian. The cops are Asian. The puppet guy is Asian. The orphanage lady is Asian, as are all the orphans.

I was joking. Well, actually, I was coyly touching on how the young Angela scenes reminded me of 80s/90s 'hood movies.

Anywho, I'm pondering the lyrics to 'Life on Mars' and, uh, here's an interesting excerpt from wikipedia: 'Digital Spy, who conducted the poll, stated it has "perhaps become David's signature song – filled with surreal cut-up lyrics inspired by William Burroughs"'
Quote Ozymandias from Watchmen chapter 11: 'Multi-screen viewing is seemingly anticipated by Burrough's cut-up technique. He suggested re-arranging words and images to evade rational analysis, allowing subliminal hints of the future to leak through.'

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Nail Rat posted:

Realtalk this is probably because the child actress wasn't up to the task of speaking Vietnamese.

This is probably what happened. It’s just a confusing choice for me.

I grew up on the border and learned English and Spanish at the same time so I alternate constantly and know people who respond in English to people who speak in Spanish but that’s looked down on. I would’ve appreciated if this was addressed being that Vietnam is a supposed state of the USA now and her being born there I mean idk ADR her lines or whatever.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Hey Chief posted:

I was joking. Well, actually, I was coyly touching on how the young Angela scenes reminded me of 80s/90s 'hood movies.
Lol she was in Friday

Hey Chief posted:

Been looking up a bunch of songs due to the show. 'Everytime You Go Away' is a Hall & Oates song from 1980, but it became a chart-topping track when Paul Young covered it in... 1985. Same year, Hall & Oates performed it at the Apollo Theater in New York (if anyone could tell me whether they survived, that would be appreciated)
H&O was the original??? I thought it was the one that was a cover.

The scene with Grandma dieing was kind of lifetime movie-ish but I think it was there to underscore how Angela is a person who learned at a very young age how she can only depend on herself, even though others had good intent and made promises but those promises were broke by outside affects. Grandma comes to rescue her, then even that falls through despite Gram's best efforts. So... She is REALLY skeptical about letting anyone into her life.

She IS the rorshach of this story, but not as isolated from others - she's still a social person but drat you gotta meet a high bar

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

beanieson posted:

Oh son of a bitch

It'd be an insane coincidence since Trieu named herself after a 3rd c. Vietnamese folk hero

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Angela does speak Vietnamese though? She speaks it to Trieu.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

A military child only speaking English but understanding another language being spoken back to them is not something to get hung up on.

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011

This is probably what happened. It’s just a confusing choice for me.

I grew up on the border and learned English and Spanish at the same time so I alternate constantly and know people who respond in English to people who speak in Spanish but that’s looked down on. I would’ve appreciated if this was addressed being that Vietnam is a supposed state of the USA now and her being born there I mean idk ADR her lines or whatever.

I think you're probably focusing a little too much on this; it seems pretty plausible. I can't remember if she has spent the entirety of her young life in Vietnam but even if she did she most likely spent it in an American military base or in a migrant group of African Americans who moved over to Vietnam after the war; as was mentioned in Peteypedia. I mean surely you've encountered other ethnic groups that may not have a great grasp on the english language, or spanish in your case, and so prefer to use their native language when they know the other individual will understand them.

I find it odd that responding in English to someone speaking Spanish is looked down on. It was never a problem with any of my foreign friends and their families that spoke multiple languages. I guess that's just a cultural thing though, maybe it's different in parts of Asia to America/Mexico?

Edit:

duck trucker posted:

A military child only speaking English but understanding another language being spoken back to them is not something to get hung up on.

Beaten.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I find it odd that a state with 95 million people would only have 2 US Senators. I guess that would be offset by having nearly a quarter of all congressional House seats though.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

zoux posted:

I find it odd that a state with 95 million people would only have 2 US Senators. I guess that would be offset by having nearly a quarter of all congressional House seats though.

I find it odd that they got any at all. Would make more sense that they were made into a US Territory like Puerto Rico.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

HppyCmpr posted:

I think you're probably focusing a little too much on this; it seems pretty plausible. I can't remember if she has spent the entirety of her young life in Vietnam but even if she did she most likely spent it in an American military base or in a migrant group of African Americans who moved over to Vietnam after the war; as was mentioned in Peteypedia. I mean surely you've encountered other ethnic groups that may not have a great grasp on the english language, or spanish in your case, and so prefer to use their native language when they know the other individual will understand them.

I find it odd that responding in English to someone speaking Spanish is looked down on. It was never a problem with any of my foreign friends and their families that spoke multiple languages. I guess that's just a cultural thing though, maybe it's different in parts of Asia to America/Mexico?

Edit:

Beaten.

First of all I said it was just a nitpick but y’all just gonna ignore that.

And second: it is a cultural thing as my family is from Mexico and I’m a first generation Mexican American so they think it’s disrespectful to not just the culture and the language but also to them. A lot of families want to have their kids learn English because it’s a great tool to use in the modern world (especially for a future career) but at home they would vastly prefer to keep conversations in Spanish. It’s easier for me to respond in English to them but it’s way more difficult for them to parse English.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Why do you guys fixate on stuff like that when there's other things to fixate on, like "why has this series needed to do blatant exposition dumps like 4 or 5 times now"

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

ymgve posted:

I find it odd that they got any at all. Would make more sense that they were made into a US Territory like Puerto Rico.

I bet the McLaughlin court let Nixon get creative with the rebellion parts of section 2 of the 14th amendment and drastically reduce the representation. (Redford's election may be largely due to demographics undoing that trick...)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

First of all I said it was just a nitpick but y’all just gonna ignore that.

And second: it is a cultural thing as my family is from Mexico and I’m a first generation Mexican American so they think it’s disrespectful to not just the culture and the language but also to them. A lot of families want to have their kids learn English because it’s a great tool to use in the modern world (especially for a future career) but at home they would vastly prefer to keep conversations in Spanish. It’s easier for me to respond in English to them but it’s way more difficult for them to parse English.

Yeah, definitely not unfair for a nitpick.

I feel like it would be difficult to ADR lines from another language and would end up looking fake, which wouldn't fly for a show that's going for a high fidelity "prestige show" look and feel. So your options are 1) find a black child actress bi-lingual in English and Vietnamese, which good luck with that or 2) ADR plus maybe video editing/CG to match her mouth movements to the words, which seems prohibitively expensive for 1 or 2 shots.

It's an interesting perspective tho, so thanks for sharing.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Why do you guys fixate on stuff like that when there's other things to fixate on, like "why has this series needed to do blatant exposition dumps like 4 or 5 times now"

Because people already yelled at me for that lollllll

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Half the dialogue feels like an exposition dump. As much as I'm enjoying the series it's some of the clumsiest exposition I've ever seen.

That bit where Laurie's minion spent thirty seconds explaining what she'd instructed him to do and why, followed by "You're just repeating my instructions verbatim" was painful to watch.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

stev posted:

Half the dialogue feels like an exposition dump. As much as I'm enjoying the series it's some of the clumsiest exposition I've ever seen.

That bit where Laurie's minion spent thirty seconds explaining what she'd instructed him to do and why, followed by "You're just repeating my instructions verbatim" was painful to watch.

I really enjoy this show but Laurie's dialogue is very poorly written, as a rule.

The performance manages to sell it regardless, but her dialogue is awful.

Seems to be unique to her character, too.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Veidt is a old crazy man whose been trapped in a nightmare scenario for like 4 years at this point and has absolutely lost his marbles. Hes not the same Veidt you read in the comics and its absolutely sensible hes become this weird old nut in the time between. Its not hard to believe hed rather fart in the face of this bizarre situation hes found himself than repent for his crimes given hes basically been living in a twisted cartoon reality for years.

Its incredible and about as megalomaniacal crazy old man as it gets.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

AccountSupervisor posted:

Veidt is a old crazy man whose been trapped in a nightmare scenario for like 4 years at this point and has absolutely lost his marbles. Hes not the same Veidt you read in the comics and its absolutely sensible hes become this weird old nut in the time between. Its not hard to believe hed rather fart in the face of this bizarre situation hes found himself than repent for his crimes given hes basically been living in a twisted cartoon reality for years.

the veidt stuff has been great. if his reaction were anything other than pointing out what a huge farce his un-reality is, it would ring hollow. Obviously he isn't going to suffer any meaningful consequence for his "crime". If he were going to be killed or whatever, whomever has imprisoned him would have done it rather than imprisoning him. He's trapped in that weird place for a reason.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Veidt is someone who thought himself the smartest person in the world uniquely destined to be its salvation, who found himself imprisoned in a parody version of reality where all of his intellect and physical prowess couldn't empower him to escape and whose only other inhabitants are too stupid to even marvel at him properly.

I initially didn't like the fart, but the more I think about it, the fart makes sense. His entire life is now fart.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

duck trucker posted:

this is how i am with Spanish. I took years and years of it and have spent most of my life immersed in exclusively Spanish speaking communities but i’m a dumb motherfucker who’s never got any real intuitive grasp of being able to write or speak it. but i can understand it being spoken to me just fine. it’s weird

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Xanderkish posted:

Veidt is someone who thought himself the smartest person in the world uniquely destined to be its salvation, who found himself imprisoned in a parody version of reality where all of his intellect and physical prowess couldn't empower him to escape and whose only other inhabitants are too stupid to even marvel at him properly.

I initially didn't like the fart, but the more I think about it, the fart makes sense. His entire life is now fart.

Like another goon said before, the fart fits Jeremy Irons perfectly, but it doesn't really seem to fit Adrian to me. I just cannot, I cannot see the guy from the watchmen comic farting as an act of rebellion.

He's also way too blatant and obvious about everything. I get that people change, and being trapped in a bubble verse would probably test your temper, but gently caress, this is Ozymandias. This is the guy who created a plot to kill everybody in NY and kept it secret and worked on it for decades while maintaining the illusion that he had no idea what was going on, even under intense scrutiny by superheroes.

Ozy in the comics is a machine, possibly more logical and less human than even Dr. Manhattan. In the show he's.... Jeremy Irons hamming it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOCGeOtjIHQ

(I love Irons, but man he can be hammy)

He seems closer to Profion than Ozy in the show.

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008
So far I've really been enjoying most things in the show but the one thing I still haven't come around on is Angela/Sister Night. We barely know anything about her, she has no big flaws or weaknesses, the plot just kinda falls into her lap over and over again. The 3 most compelling episodes have been the ones not about her.
Maybe the last 2 will recontextualize the character and reveal some more, but it's been kinda frustrating to me that we've spent so much time with the least interesting character on the show.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/geocitiesgifbot/status/1202272383266181120

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
I am trying to get my wife into this show so we watched episode 1 together. I can't quote it right now but in her first appearance Angela says something about separating the yolks from the whites/breaking barriers to combine things that seems to summarize the season's theme. Anyone mind transcribing that scene for me?

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

I've accepted that people are right re Veidt being Trieu's father. Too much there for it to be wrong.

I've also accepted that he's probably literally in the statue.

Does that mean that nothing around him is real? Is he just on some Trieu drugs to keep his mind active while he's preserved?

It would explain the absurdity/dream-like nature of his environment.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

HppyCmpr posted:

"Children, I know you miss your father but time is a flat circle. Everything we have done or will do we will do over and over and over again- forever."

I mean, they were previously in danger during that event and now Angela and Jon are consistently putting them in danger by keeping them around.

Maybe orphanages in this world are significantly worse, who knows. I did forget they were orphans of the White Knight though, so thanks for reminding me.

Angela grew up in a super lovely orphanage so it is totally understandable that she would have been triggered and just nope'd on having her partners kids sent to one...

Although it seems like their grandfather is still estranged somehow (and probably a racist), so maybe she also really hates him or knows he's 7thK?

Collateral posted:

So the second gunman was Judd and something happened with Cal that gave the game away. Which is why Judd was so pally with the family afterwards.

Naw, the getaway driver saw Angela kill the first guy and then probably saw Calhattan squib the other guy, at which point he ran back to base and said "loving Manhattan lives is Tusla and is loving a cop" which is when Keene, et al, decided to switch rails rather than continue with the old Cyclops power trip.

Zaphod42 posted:

Like another goon said before, the fart fits Jeremy Irons perfectly, but it doesn't really seem to fit Adrian to me. I just cannot, I cannot see the guy from the watchmen comic farting as an act of rebellion.

The guy listened to a bunch of uppity clones (likely of a man who Veidt has bamboozled multiple times) for more than a year describe what he already ~knows~ to be his masterstroke as a terrible atrocity. He's also essentially been in solitary confinement for 5+ years, a special kind of purpose-built purgatory that he cannot escape without help...

The smartest, most powerful man in the world...reduced to begging for help. *FAAAAAAAAAAART*

Bushido Brown posted:

I've accepted that people are right re Veidt being Trieu's father. Too much there for it to be wrong.

I've also accepted that he's probably literally in the statue.

Does that mean that nothing around him is real? Is he just on some Trieu drugs to keep his mind active while he's preserved?

It would explain the absurdity/dream-like nature of his environment.

I like this. :hmmyes:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Veidt is probably the statue in trieus lab / room or whatever. Like he’s locked in stone

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Bronze Veidt is what crashed on the Clark's farm. His scenes do not take place in a dreamscape.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

The guy listened to a bunch of uppity clones (likely of a man who Veidt has bamboozled multiple times) for more than a year describe what he already ~knows~ to be his masterstroke as a terrible atrocity. He's also essentially been in solitary confinement for 5+ years, a special kind of purpose-built purgatory that he cannot escape without help...

The smartest, most powerful man in the world...reduced to begging for help. *FAAAAAAAAAAART*

But Adrian in the comics doesn't have that level of... ego? Like, he's extremely confident in himself, yes, but... that's the point. He's EXTREMELY confident in himself, and he has no doubt. There's no need for recognition. He doesn't desire fame or glory. He just wants to work. And knows he's on a level nobody else is.

Being trapped in a bubble wouldn't be that different from being on earth, surrounded by people, to him. People don't matter.

I genuinely don't think Adrian would consider asking for help to be "beneath" him, because he's so smart. That's not how he thinks. That's too egotistical. That's something Rorschach would do; being too proud to ask for help. Adrian would GLADLY ask you for help. He would cry, and beg, and tell you he's weak and needs you and will die without you.

Then after you go help him, he'll laugh about how easy it was to manipulate you into doing what he wanted. That's Adrian. He's a sociopath extreme. He sees everything objectively.

If farting in a courtroom was the only way to manipulate the judge to let him go, he would ABSOLUTELY do it. But doing it just as an act of frustration? Nah, don't see it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It was all a dream is the worst plot device ever

The clones, who are not allowed to lie to the game warden, do so anyway because Adrian taught them the "Acting" loophole and they help him get his guilty verdict :

Frozen in Carbonite and chucked into space, baby

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

AccountSupervisor posted:

What’s he going to do, give an impassioned speech defending his actions to a fake court in a fake castle filled with fake people who can’t harm him in any way? They still wink at him and call him “Master”.

How can the great OZYMANDIAS be judged by these cretins? Note he is in costume, not civilian clothes.

They had him sit through that for a YEAR. You can summarize the whole ‘crime’ in three minutes.

Veidt is punished by getting what he wants. He is the undisputed master of the world, the smartest man in existence, everything in his world exists to serve his ego.

He can do whatever he wants to his fellow inhabitants without consequence, they are there to be harvested for parts if he wishes. He can kill, rape, turn them into leather, eat them, whatever.

No rules, no morality except what he, the supreme man, says.

He’s not crying because he finally feels guilty. He had nightmares in 1985, made himself feel every death, recorded the confession tape for Redford, yada yada.

He’s crying because he has at long last been beaten, and the only man there is himself.

As my friend said to me as we left the Watchmen movie: “that was like, hey you say you like superheroes? Here, smoke the whole pack”

Adrian was made to smoke the whole carton.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Zaphod42 posted:

But Adrian in the comics doesn't have that level of... ego? Like, he's extremely confident in himself, yes, but... that's the point. He's EXTREMELY confident in himself, and he has no doubt. There's no need for recognition. He doesn't desire fame or glory. He just wants to work. And knows he's on a level nobody else is.

Being trapped in a bubble wouldn't be that different from being on earth, surrounded by people, to him. People don't matter.

I genuinely don't think Adrian would consider asking for help to be "beneath" him, because he's so smart. That's not how he thinks. That's too egotistical. That's something Rorschach would do; being too proud to ask for help. Adrian would GLADLY ask you for help. He would cry, and beg, and tell you he's weak and needs you and will die without you.

Then after you go help him, he'll laugh about how easy it was to manipulate you into doing what he wanted. That's Adrian. He's a sociopath extreme. He sees everything objectively.

If farting in a courtroom was the only way to manipulate the judge to let him go, he would ABSOLUTELY do it. But doing it just as an act of frustration? Nah, don't see it.

I think Veidt is more accurately characterized as a narcissist than a sociopath. I doubt a sociopath would care about having a corporate building with a big honking "V" on it, or sell a bunch of figurines of himself. He loves monologuing to people about what he does, so long as doing it doesn't cause them to interfere with his plans. That's why he talks to the workers about his dreams as he poisons them, and he talks to Dan and Rorschach et. Al. Because he believes that they can't argue with his logic and won't interfere.

He also most definitely craves validation, especially from those he considers his peers. He wouldn't ask Dr. Manhattan if he did alright if he didn't think of Manhattan as something close to his equal. He disliked Rorschach in part because Rorschach disliked him. You could also explain his video to Redford as operating under the same logic -- he views the president as, if not his equal, then worthy enough to be brought in on the conspiracy.

He also desperately desires to think of himself as a good person, but again in an utterly narcissistic way. He tries to make himself see the faces of the dead he killed every night, as though making himself feel bad would pay down some part of the moral debt. He describes himself as taking on the burden of his crimes, suggesting he needs to view himself as a martyr despite massacring millions.

All of that to me adds logic both to why he would fart AND why he would cry in the courtroom. These people are beneath him, and they're also condemning him. In addition to, you know, the increasing realization that he's trapped in an absurd prison.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

How can the great OZYMANDIAS be judged by these cretins?

That's just not something he cares about whatsoever

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
A page-long discussion of farts? Don't mind if I do... :sun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Zaphod42 posted:

That's just not something he cares about whatsoever

I dunno, I feel like there's a contradiction between someone who names himself after an Egyptian pharaoh but simultaneously doesn't care about what others think.

Also the poem by Shelley about Ozymandias is about how pride and accomplishments crumble in the face of time and entropy (same as Manhattan's "Nothing Ever Ends" line). He probably wouldn't be called Ozymandias if that message wasn't part of the point.