Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Fancy a round of Brian Lara Cricket, gents?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

ill bash your head in with the zed ex spectrum i swear on me mum

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I remember the PS1 being kinda pricey and also being a CD-based console made by Sony, which at that time seemed ridiculous. CD-based consoles by that point were universally considered bad or gimmicky because the most advanced games on there were, like, FMV games. And SONY was making the thing, which we kinda looked at Panasonic over there with that 3DO and Philips was doing the CD-i, so yet another electronics company getting into video games just sounded like yet another failure waiting to happen.

Final Fantasy VII ended up forcing my brother and I's hand and we ended up getting one for that game. It turned out alright, but those first few years of the PS1 were just weird. The PS1 is now the only Sony platform I have a significant collection size of, with the other Sony platforms just having a scattering of titles here and there, mostly random fighting games, Super Robot Wars games, and whatever Sega released post-Dreamcast that could've probably ended up on Dreamcast if it wasn't discontinued.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I remember seeing the original Ridge Racer on the PS1 and being blown away by it.

Same with the cinematics FF7

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

I went with the N64 instead of the PS1. Probably based mostly on Mario 64. In hindsight I regret it. Most of the memories I have of the N64 are of playing Multiplayer games with my friends. Mostly over at their houses on their N64s, so a PS1 would have been the better choice. I did eventually get Bleem! once it came out in '99. The majority of my PS1 playing was done through emulators and not original hardware.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

In hindsight I regret it. Most of the memories I have of the N64 are of playing Multiplayer games with my friends.

This man remembers playing games with friends. How awful. Please pray for him.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Tried out a LevelHike Neo Geo to HDMI cable. I assumed it'd be better than the stock standard Pound cables since it was reviewing well, but...

Ghosting
Dim picture
Deinterlacing (I'm guessing that's what I'm seeing with things going from blurred to sharp half a second after they appear or stop moving)

Right now the NG is going back to my CRT, but I'm not gonna cheap out on an HDMI solution again.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Under no circumstances should anyone who needs analog to hdmi for 240p buy anything other than an ossc or something designed by Mike Chi.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
It's weird how the Tetris for NES is loving insanely difficult but Tetris DX just gives you the pieces you need and doesn't absolutely rear end blast you at every opportunity.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

KingEup posted:

Under no circumstances should anyone who needs analog to hdmi for 240p buy anything other than an ossc or something designed by Mike Chi.

My LG 4k TV seems to hate 480P almost as much as 240P. If I set my Mega SG to 480 it looks like some horrible smoothing filter's been applied for the upscale.
So I don't think the Retrotink 2X'd be for me.
I'll get the OSSC when my CRT dies.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Teenage Fansub posted:

My LG 4k TV seems to hate 480P almost as much as 240P. If I set my Mega SG to 480 it looks like some horrible smoothing filter's been applied for the upscale.
So I don't think the Retrotink 2X'd be for me.

Yeah, that sounds like the right call

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I never owned a PS1 but I got a little bit of intermittent exposure to it over the years. The earliest memory I have of it is going to a loaded friend's house sometime in 1996 and playing some game where you're on a motorbike or a bicycle riding through a hilly city but I lost interest after like ten minutes because I saw he had a Nomad and the premise of playing Sonic 2 on a handheld was just completely insane to five year old me. Either later that year or sometime in 1997 I ended up getting pawned off on the 12-13yo kid of one of my mother's friends for an afternoon and he sat me down in front of his PS1 with Street Fighter EX and I felt like a little god when I beat the arcade mode :kiddo:

Sometime during my first few years of boarding school a PS1 with Tekken 3 and X-Men Mutant Academy appeared in the common room and those were literally the only games I got to play in 2001-2002 so I sunk as much time into them as possible (which was not much bc we did winner-stays-on and I sucked at both so I basically just watched)

Even though it's a platform that was kind of on the periphery of my life – I basically didn't play any of its games to completion until I started catching up on JPRGs via epsxe and popstation in the mid-late 00s – I have a lot of nostalgia for a lot of the PS1's aesthetics, like the startup sound, the at-the-time incredible looking FMVs, and the jittery graphics resulting from its lack of support for perspective corrected textures. That era was a whole distinctive little moment, dissimilar to anything prior or since.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Teenage Fansub posted:

Maybe this is the joke, but your CRTs last forever.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
A buddy of mine was a ps1 early adopter. We just played Battle Arena Tonishinden and legit loved it. Oh and twisted metal which is actually probably still good.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tekken 3 was just perfection. The amount of time I played that stupid game getting no better was too long

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
One thing I associate with the PS1 is picking up big fat strategy guides for RPGs like FF7, Xenogears, and Parasite Eve and following them step by step while poring over the artwork and stats. This basically turned those games into paint-by-numbers but I wrung a lot out of them, felt like I saw everything, and look back on it fondly.

And who knows how long my best friend and I spent playing Bushido Blade. We used to divide one particular level and see who could cut down all the bamboo trees on their half first.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

Fancy a round of Brian Lara Cricket, gents?

oo-er, I'm well chuffed for a five-game match of Jonah Barrington's Squash, lads

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Nah mate, you want the top stuff, you need to pay top quid.

All New Sonic
Nov 7, 2012

& KNUCKLES
Buglord

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

My PS1 memory is going, "Wow, everything looks and plays so much worse than my PC."

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I absolutely did not expect to even get to try a PS1, let alone have one in the house, but then my brother asked for one for christmas and my mind was blown on the dual levels of "my parents, who, when getting me NES games, only ever got the cheapest thing available, which is why my NES collection consisted mostly of games like Destination Earthstar and Back to the Future and other impossible-to-play non-classics, in a household where we skipped the 16-bit era entirely, actually bought a console, let alone the newest and wildest one available at the time" and "my baby brother actually is no longer a baby and now has his own interests, wants and desires, wild."

Tekken was definitely the first game we got, and it's also the last Tekken game I've put more than a quarter's worth of time into. I have no idea why, I liked playing it and played it quite a lot. Ridge Racer definitely was right behind, if not obtained on the same day. Rush's Moving Pictures CD probably was the best one to do the CD swap to, most of the tracks lined up fairly well.

My copy of FF7 was stolen, but thankfully after I beat it, along with my copy of FFT, which I didn't beat until years later because I didn't realize that I had to grind in the Sweegy Woods before going to the Dorter Slums. Also I didn't have a copy of the game to do it on. My copy of FF8 was not stolen, unfortunately, as I spent an entire summer trudging through in the worst, slowest, most failure-ridden way, eventually putting my savegame into an unwinnable state near the end of the thing.

I played an ungodly amount of Gex: Enter the Gecko, Ridge Racer 4 (often in the basement of the house, with my stepfather's record collection soundtracking it which is heresy, I know, but I didn't like dance music then, and even now, that's not really the sort of dance music I like), Battle Hunter (I hesitate to call it a cult classic, that would require other people knowing about it), and Triple Play 99 (the one where the intro is David Hayter in his guise as the EA Sports Guy giving a micro-essay about baseball that is basically "Solid Snake describes the national pastime on a codec call")

I never 100%ed Soul Blade, but unlocking all the weapons in that game is some kind of exercise in masochism.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

KingEup posted:

This man remembers playing games with friends. How awful. Please pray for him.

I could have done that AND played a ton of great PlayStation games I didn’t have the opportunity to play otherwise if I’d gotten a PlayStation instead. Everyone I knew had an N64. No-one had a PS1.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

I could have done that AND played a ton of great PlayStation games I didn’t have the opportunity to play otherwise if I’d gotten a PlayStation instead. Everyone I knew had an N64. No-one had a PS1.

Condolences.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
i have a lot of good ps1 memories but my fondest has to be renting and playing tecmo's deception over and over again because i had never played another game like it, and still really haven't now that i think about it.

this also might apply to the first tenchu game, too.

edit: also renting rpg's like beyond the beyond and suikoden and trying to beat them without a memory card.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

My earliest PS1 memory was realizing it plugged into the wall with what looked like a lamp cord so I assumed it was cheap junk. Yet another case where Japanese electronics trying to be sleek and compact backfires with a ‘Merican consumer.

:911:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I learned about the PlayStation on the Internet in 1996 or very early in 1997 when Mega Man 8 was going to be released on a fan site. I was nine.

We rented one for a weekend in summer 1997 and I played Mega Man 8, Jumping Flash 2, Twisted Metal, and Destruction Derby 2. My sister and I had some experience with the SNES and a fleeting exposure to the Genesis, but we had a Windows 95 computer and already had a familiarity with games in 3D. Someone I went to school with also had a PlayStation and their games included MechWarrior 2, Twisted Metal II, and console versions of WarCraft II and Command & Conquer.

We rented an N64 once and played with analog joysticks for the first time, but they were so badly beaten and unfamiliar that it was a miserable experience and had no appeal. I had a Microsoft Sidewinder and knew how to use it with Descent II, but my dumb rear end could not figure out the N64 joystick. I hated it.

We rented a PlayStation for a weekend off and on for a while until my parents finally gave in and we got one in 1998 for Christmas. We didn't get memory cards with it and had to settle with playing long games from the beginning every time. The console came with the Dual Shock controller and we had a second one with it. I never liked using the joysticks because of my experience with the N64 and I never used them until I played Metal Gear Solid 3 because I didn't have a choice. We got Mega Man 8, Crash Bandicoot: Warped, and Frogger. My uncle gave me MechWarrior 2 that same Christmas, but it was put into a small submarine sim PC game box and I didn't become aware of it until I finally opened it in summer 2000. My birthday's in February and I picked up Mega Man Legends and Crash Bandicoot 2 and, most importantly, a memory card and a lot of suffering finally came to an end. Lots of other games followed.

I never got into RPGs until later in life, but I borrowed Metal Gear Solid from a friend and it blew my loving twelve-year-old mind in 1999. I got my first two fighting games, Street Fighter Alpha 3 and Marvel vs. Capcom, on PlayStation. I joined a forum for the first time to get advice on one stage of Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions in 2000 when I was thirteen. The first CDs I ever ripped were PlayStation games with PsxMC. The demo disc that came with our system had a demo of Metal Gear Solid, but the English voice acting wasn't completed yet, so the voice acting was still in Japanese. It was my first exposure to Japanese voice acting.

All this came down when I was in middle school and I loathed it all so much that PC games and PlayStation often felt like the only positive thing about it. I'm almost thirty-three and I still feel like I'm going to puke if I think about middle school, but at least there was PlayStation.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Is there anything more cursed than British people talking about retro games? "Quid, "Megadrive", "Ninty"

Megadrive is the proper name for the console :colbert:

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I ruined the cd for barbie's fashion designer cause i was 6 and didn't care about cd cases and as a result I wasn't allowed to have a ps1 cause I'd just scratch and ruin those games that's my ps1 story

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Star Man posted:

I learned about the PlayStation on the Internet in 1996 or very early in 1997 when Mega Man 8 was going to be released on a fan site. I was nine.

https://www.mmhp.net was my poo poo when I was little.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
I got my PS1 for Christmas 1999 (I think, it might've been 1998, I'll have to look in the holiday photo album tomorrow) with Spyro the Dragon (the game I wanted), Crash 2 (hated this and eventually sold it), and The Game of Life (was fun seeing silly 3D graphics on a board game)
It was defective and wouldn't read discs. My mom called a friend's mom cause they had a PS1 and they brought theirs over and we compared systems and mine was missing a part. They were super nice and let me borrow their console for the day until the stores opened back up so we could get an exchange.

Platformers were what I mainly played on the system while growing up, but it's also where I dabbled into RPGs as i finally started liking that genre. The Spyro trilogy and Digimon World were pickups cause I was a fan of those series, but stuff like Silhouette Mirage and Guardian's Crusade I picked up due to reading about them in Game Informer. Somehow ended up with a non-greatest hits copy of FF7 and a strategy guide that spoiled me to the you-know-what, so I never finished the game until I was an adult.

Even through the PS2's mid years I was picking up stuff I missed on PS1 like Valkyrie Profile and Suikoden. And even now I'm going back and picking up imports like the original Atelier games. PS1 was a strong system once it got going and was definitely a turning point of what games could offer for me. Still was mainly a Nintendo fan, getting the GameCube on launch and the PS2 two or three years after, but PS consoles definitely filled a niche I didn't know existed until I got one.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/pitchfork/status/1202257902876143616

I want this so bad. I was in the process of going "gently caress it. I could just get this and flip my current SG" but then got reminded that these things cost $90 to ship to New Zealand.

Wish I could just get the cartridge.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Max Coveri posted:

https://www.mmhp.net was my poo poo when I was little.

Yeep. It was one of the first websites I ever visited.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
another good memory was playing a shitload of MDK. that game felt way ahead of its time and maybe this year will be the year i make a Kurt costume for halloween

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My first PS1 memory was playing Gran Turismo and never using the brakes because I was a dumb babby

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If you didn't get the PS1 at launch and live for months off of the hype of 'Demo 1', I feel bad for you Demo Son.

I tracked down an iso of that and it was the first thing I hacked on to my PS Classic.

edit: The Euro version that is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0WRQG7qlKg&t=6s

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 4, 2019

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

I was a Nintendo only kid from SNES through GameCube, and first got a non-Nintendo system with a used PS2 and PSP while I had a Wii.

I played all the PS1 games I picked up on the PS1's official emulator hacked to play the images I ripped from the CDs, so it wasn't until years later I actually saw a PS1 game on actual hardware and a reasonably sized screen and had a mildly shocked reaction of "wait, the models move like that and that's the texture warping people talked about? Huh."

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
My first PS1 experience was visiting London and somehow finding my way into a PS1 demo show. Basically a decent sized theater filled with people, hosted by (I assume) Sony to show off the PS1. I got chosen to go on stage and play some space shooter, came in second place! I have no idea what the winner got. I think they did multiple shows per day, it was very odd and memorable.

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

Is there a way to repair a button contact in an SNES controller beyond cleaning it with 91% alcohol? I bought an ASCIIpad from a local shop and the down directional button doesn't work. It looks like the black material on the contact has rubbed off over the years. Anything I can do? Otherwise I'm just gonna return it.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

For Genesis controllers at least, people sell replacement membranes/pads, but getting a set would probably cost as much as the controller. If I were you, I'd return it.

Check out Caitlin's reply later.

azurite fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

40-Degree Day posted:

Is there a way to repair a button contact in an SNES controller beyond cleaning it with 91% alcohol? I bought an ASCIIpad from a local shop and the down directional button doesn't work. It looks like the black material on the contact has rubbed off over the years. Anything I can do? Otherwise I'm just gonna return it.

That's probably usage wearing down the rubber/plastic backing behind the the pad and there's not a whole lot you can do to fix that. A replacement membrane is possible or picking something up from a donor board, but going through those hoops sounds like more effort than you'd want to put in.