Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

OctoberCountry posted:

Vague details supposedly from Trevorrow's script got posted to reddit

lmao if Han/Leia had a falling out not because of Kylo but because Han boned the babysitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

OctoberCountry posted:

Vague details supposedly from Trevorrow's script got posted to reddit

deliriously stupid, but not any stupider than what we're getting instead

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I buy it, noticeable book of henry energy

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Mandrel posted:

lmao if Han/Leia had a falling out not because of Kylo but because Han boned the babysitter

i wouldn't put it past han but there's 100% no way disney would let a merchandisable protagonist cheat on his wife and have a child out of wedlock

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

OctoberCountry posted:

quote:

The dynamic between Rey & Kylo was nothing more than “BE EVIL WITH ME” “NO!” “COME ON, BE EVIL WITH ME” “NO!”

To be fair, it’s not like that’s any different from how it currently is.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Trevorrow was thrown into a black pit, never to be seen again.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Trevorrow Never Dies

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

OctoberCountry posted:

The dynamic between Rey & Kylo was nothing more than "BE EVIL WITH ME" "NO!" "COME ON, BE EVIL WITH ME" "NO!"

I would have been willing to look past all the flaws of The Last Jedi if Rey had joined Kylo at the end when he asked her to, under the guise that she would think she could keep his "dark side" in check. It would have been a total jaw dropper of an ending.

It would set up Episode 9 as showing how this would go horribly wrong, as she would be an enabler for all the horrible stuff that would happen. You'd have the plot arch of having the heroes win Rey back over to the "good" side and defeat Kylo and actually explore some interesting story ideas, like how you redeem yourself after a bad decision like that and who shares fault for what happens.

Luke would look even worse for basically pushing her in that direction by not helping her when she asked, but you could also work redemption into his character arch for Episode 9.

But nope, we get death fart star destroyers and Sheev back.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
It's kind of mindblowing that a movie seemingly built on "let's take what you've seen before and mess with it!" didn't go the opposite way to Empire at that point and have the hero join the villain. You had one film end on a cliffhanger, why not the next? Two years of "holy poo poo, she said yes! What's going to happen next?" would raise a hell of a lot more anticipation than "so the good guys are gonna rebuild and take on the bad guys, somehow, I guess?"

I mean, who didn't take Revan down the Dark Side ending? At least in an alternate save.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I'm probably in the minority but I like the thought of having drunk uncle Palps back. Like some twisted Christmas party from hell and he is sitting there with some cheap beer and telling bad jokes.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

This thread is a pro-Sheev zone. Personally, I'm watching this movie with my friends just to see him unleash his super Force Lightning and hear the phrase "Execute Order 67".

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Of the three people connected with the ST, I think only Rian Johnson could have made an interesting last movie. I'm not necessarily saying good, it just wouldn't have been completely uninspired.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sheev: She's strong with the force
Everybody has matching powers
Kylo Ren's parents got a divorce
Rey was there using the force
It wasn't the force
It was a f f FORCE LIGHTNING YEAH YEAH YEAH

🎵🎶🎵🎶
Force lightning!

🎶🎵🎶🎵🎶
Force lightning!

🎶🎵🎶🎵🎶
Force lightning!

🎶🎵🎶🎵🎶🎵
Force lightning!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

say it aint so...
han would not blow..
his load in the maid...
carry me home.
na-na na-na na-na na-na na na
na-na na-na na-na na-na na na

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
2 weeks until Paul Saltines comes back to rock everyone's faces off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HtfSuazG70

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Payndz posted:

It's kind of mindblowing that a movie seemingly built on "let's take what you've seen before and mess with it!" didn't go the opposite way to Empire at that point and have the hero join the villain. You had one film end on a cliffhanger, why not the next? Two years of "holy poo poo, she said yes! What's going to happen next?" would raise a hell of a lot more anticipation than "so the good guys are gonna rebuild and take on the bad guys, somehow, I guess?"

I mean, who didn't take Revan down the Dark Side ending? At least in an alternate save.

I get that "subverting expectations" is the meme about The Last Jedi but the other subversions at least have reasons to exist. This would just be stupid.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It would work if Kylo was a genuinely revolutionary figure and wasn't obviously going to just going to do yet more fascism with the First Order and it would be a much more interesting story if that were the case. But yeah, as things stand it would just be Rey signing up to join the brownshirts.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Full-on view of the dagger artifact from the leaks is in the latest tv spot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwg_J00DQF0

"It's true... all of it." Haha.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

teagone posted:

what's the importance of the dagger? just confirming the leaks?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

teagone posted:

It's the loving still image. Unbelievable, they know they're confirming the spoilers out there

gently caress it I'm team sheev, make the Galaxy great again. Once my boy kylo gets yeeted off screen I have no reason to care about anyone else fighting sheev

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 4, 2019

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

cargohills posted:

I get that "subverting expectations" is the meme about The Last Jedi but the other subversions at least have reasons to exist. This would just be stupid.

Why would it be stupid?
Rey spent the entire movie being rejected by a legendary figure she idolized. The resistance is clearly lead by a bunch of morons and has been decimated. Kylo wants to work with her. She knows Kylo and the first order are dangerous and if she stays with Kylo, maybe she can be the voice of reason and do good.

It's no dumber than the stupidity of everything else that happens prior.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Dagger is literally a McGuffin. It has plot written on it, because why not?

Yes, its existence confirms some of the leaks.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
It's me, Yeeted Ren

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

teagone posted:

NO IT'S JUST SOME IDIOT'S FANFICTION NOOOOO

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Yeah, heavily implies that the big PDF leak might be 100% legit lol.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Who’s the dipshit with maul lightsabers?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Pollyanna posted:

Who’s the dipshit with maul lightsabers?

Rey in a dark side vision

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ohhh that is Rey, derp.

Can’t wait for Pulp to say Execute Order 67. Cause I’m pretty sure that was in the leaks.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the idea that in years of running the empire, Palpatine never made another order is a really good bit

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Pollyanna posted:

Ohhh that is Rey, derp.

Can’t wait for Pulp to say Execute Order 67. Cause I’m pretty sure that was in the leaks.

I think that's a separate leak that includes Ben solo showing up at the end just fine so I'm ignoring it

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The fate of kylo is 100% down to whatever last week's focus tests said at this point so I doubt pdf man is authoritative on that one. Everything else is true for sure lol

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

No Mods No Masters posted:

The fate of kylo is 100% down to whatever last week's focus tests said at this point so I doubt pdf man is authoritative on that one. Everything else is true for sure lol

Which leaks are right then? I've lost track.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

My stance is that PDF man was right, except for specifics about the ending which is still probably anyone's guess up to and including JJ/KK themselves

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

The only unbelievable PDF thing was Japan getting the movie a week early.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

Which leaks are right then? I've lost track.

Off the top of my head, the verified leaks have the dagger having directions to Sheev. In order to read the map on the dagger they have to install DaggerDecoder.exe on 3PO but he doesn't have enough hard drive space so they delete his memories to make room, luckily R2 has a backup 3PO's-Memories.txt stored from a couple years ago so it's fine. After they go to the desert bazaar planet for that, Kylo and the jetpack catapult bike stormtroopers attack and at some point Chewie gets nabbed and put on a shuttle. Rey accidentally Force Lightnings the shuttle and blows it up, everyone thinks Chewie is dead but then it turns out he was on a different shuttle and is perfectly fine. Everyone goes to Sheev's iceberg thing where he's got a million old Star Destroyers with Death Star superlasers, there's a big space battle while Sheev shoots a ton of lightning into space and blows a bunch of stuff up. Force Ghost Han shows up at one point and talks to Kylo, but then Kylo gets yeeted into a pit and never shows up again. The ghosts of Luke and Leia kill Sheev's soul or something so he can't come back again. Movie ends with Rey visiting the old Lars farm on Tatooine (probably during a binary sunset) and someone asks who she is and she says her name is Rey Skywalker, credits roll.

Also they go to the wreckage of the second Death Star at some point, I forget why.

Moose King fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 4, 2019

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
"People keep complaining Rey is a Mary Sue, how do we fix this?"

"Let's make her have anger problems. That's a unique issue for a Jedi."

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

TerminalRaptor posted:

Why would it be stupid?
Rey spent the entire movie being rejected by a legendary figure she idolized. The resistance is clearly lead by a bunch of morons and has been decimated. Kylo wants to work with her. She knows Kylo and the first order are dangerous and if she stays with Kylo, maybe she can be the voice of reason and do good.

It's no dumber than the stupidity of everything else that happens prior.

Are you asking why it would be stupid to have the hero of the film become a fascist because Luke Skywalker was a bit mean to her?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

cargohills posted:

Are you asking why it would be stupid to have the hero of the film become a fascist because Luke Skywalker was a bit mean to her?

That's perfectly relatable. Once someone called me a chud for defending Milo yabadopolis and that hurt me so much I joined the brown shirts proud boys and after that no one would gently caress me and I became a social pariah and incel

Thanks, internet soyboys

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Brother Entropy posted:

i wouldn't put it past han but there's 100% no way disney would let a merchandisable protagonist cheat on his wife and have a child out of wedlock

Lucas would have 100% have had Han do it

Payndz posted:

I'm assuming that was the original intent SOMEONE had and Disney said no, you can't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

teagone posted:

they were already confirmed as far as I'm concerned. the only thing that could be different in the movie at this point is post-production modifications. which might actually be done heavily to the ending