Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It Hurts!! is a pretty good completed comic (although it does have a sequel that is currently ongoing.) It starts out as kind of a crude story about some kids going to school but it really starts to go to some weird rear end places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Brewmaster posted:

Same.

Anyone have any recommendations for completed webcomics that are worth reading?
Everything by Øyvind Thorsby and no I'm not trolling you despite that art style (Trixie Slaughteraxe for President is ongoing so I just linked directly to Hitmen for Destiny and you can go from there)

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Brewmaster posted:

Same.

I remember loving Concerned. Might have to give this a re-read some time

http://www.screencuisine.net/hlcomic/index.php?date=2005-05-01

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Brewmaster posted:

Same.

Ache... wood? Everyone in this thread loves Achewood, right?

For a less controversial suggestion, Octopus Pie is good! It's currently being re-updated in reruns with new author commentary, but you can absolutely just read the whole thing as it is.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Dr. McNinja, another (former?) goon comic. http://drmcninja.com/newreaders.php The guy behind Nerdroid did some of the coloring.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

John Alison's comics are good, and some are "complete" (though all his comics share characters and settings)

http://scarygoround.com

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

Brewmaster posted:

Same.

Digger is definitely worth reading.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh man, I'd forgotten about this for a while but now I'm kinda sad because it's fallen into the same trap as every serialized webcomic I've gotten into. I really liked catching up, but completely lost track of it because I don't enjoy keeping up one update at a time. I can pin down where I stopped almost half a year ago since I posted about it here, but now I have only the faintest recollection of what's even going on in that arc so I'm pretty much lost :sigh:

Read it again from the start, the flow is much better then when you’re reading one page every 3 days.
I’m not sure what trap you’re experiencing, but if it’s the soapy convulutedness long running webcomics turn into, I don’t think that’s what’s happening with KSBD. The autor themself has stated that there is a set ending

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Such Fun posted:

Read it again from the start, the flow is much better then when you’re reading one page every 3 days.
I’m not sure what trap you’re experiencing, but if it’s the soapy convulutedness long running webcomics turn into, I don’t think that’s what’s happening with KSBD. The autor themself has stated that there is a set ending

Oh, I'll re-read it eventually, it's just a matter of not wanting to spend a few days on that every time I want to catch up without knowing how long is left.

Really happy to hear there's an ending in mind though, I get really tired of comics that start off great and then just meander along for years because the writer's don't know where they're going.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Brewmaster posted:

Same.

Drop-Out is a very good webcomic about two hosed up queer adults going on a road trip to commit suicide at the grand canyon.

Cucumber Quest is another very good comic that's a parody/pastiche of the typicla JRPG plot; told in a children's storybook fashion. Done by the artist hiimdaisy/G.G. Digi, famous for "Let's Destroy Metal Gear" and "The Great Big Long Persona 4 Comic". It doesn't have a resolution, as the author decided to end the project early due to running out of steam/picking up more professional projects; so they released the planned plot in a text file.

Manly Guys Doing Manly Things is a great comedy oriented webcomic that's either one-off gags about video games or masculine media; usually with the themes of pointing out the silliness of "manliness" in media and promoting positive masculinity.

Battle pug is a parody of Conan the Barbarian just with a big dash of silliness. However it almost never dips into 'lol random monkeycheese' silliness, despite what the title might imply, and after introducing a gag it tends to treat it seriously in the world. Won an Eisner award.

Those are the ones I'd consider good, rather than just "good for a webcomic". I got a lot of those if you're interested.

Sprue
Feb 21, 2006

please send nudes :shittydog:
:petdog:

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Everything by Øyvind Thorsby and no I'm not trolling you despite that art style (Trixie Slaughteraxe for President is ongoing so I just linked directly to Hitmen for Destiny and you can go from there)

This is the correct answer

It was posted in the BYOB thread so so many times and I refused to read it cuz it looked like poo poo until u understand his art style, but every poster itt was freaking out about how good it is so I finally gave it a shot and I've never looked back

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Ebola Dog posted:

Digger is definitely worth reading.

Digger won the Hugo for Best Graphic Story in 2012 and really deserved it. Everyone should read it.

That ended the same day as The Phoenix Requiem which, while not on the same level, was something that I enjoyed very much.

Sam & Fuzzy isn't technically completed but the big story which has been going on for a decade or so recently wrapped up.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Oh yeah gonna third this one, this guy's stuff is excellent

Sprue
Feb 21, 2006

please send nudes :shittydog:
:petdog:
I'm almost done w Drop Out, I've been desperately trying to catch up with the BYOB thread, even tho I read several pages most days it's like swimming against the current cuz that thread is so active. But anyways Drop Out is the most painful comic I've ever read, I can't really recommend it cuz either a) yr not gonna get it cuz u haven't been thru that poo poo so it's probably boring or b) you do get it cuz you've been there urself and reading it is gonna be really emotional and painful

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Oh yeah gonna third this one, this guy's stuff is excellent

I think Brain Chip might be my favorite

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

John Alison's comics are good, and some are "complete" (though all his comics share characters and settings)

http://scarygoround.com

Scary go round is great, John is on hiatus though so it's as complete as it'll get unless you start buying physical copies of the Giant Days.

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

Anthony Clark (Nedroid) and KC Green's (Gunshow) BACK is almost done and defo worth the read.

https://www.backcomic.com

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
how is megatokyo still a thing when there's a solid month between comics and the author hasn't updated a newspost since last year

was there ever a year where the dude produced more than one comic a week?

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Len posted:

I think Brain Chip might be my favorite

Agreed, while it might be one of the less wacky ones, I love the conceit of the comic.

Grraarrgghh posted:

Anthony Clark (Nedroid) and KC Green's (Gunshow) BACK is almost done and defo worth the read.

https://www.backcomic.com
You could also read He is a Good Boy also by KC Green, which is weird as hell in the best possible way.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

umalt posted:

Drop-Out is a very good webcomic about two hosed up queer adults going on a road trip to commit suicide at the grand canyon.

Cucumber Quest is another very good comic that's a parody/pastiche of the typicla JRPG plot; told in a children's storybook fashion. Done by the artist hiimdaisy/G.G. Digi, famous for "Let's Destroy Metal Gear" and "The Great Big Long Persona 4 Comic". It doesn't have a resolution, as the author decided to end the project early due to running out of steam/picking up more professional projects; so they released the planned plot in a text file.

Manly Guys Doing Manly Things is a great comedy oriented webcomic that's either one-off gags about video games or masculine media; usually with the themes of pointing out the silliness of "manliness" in media and promoting positive masculinity.

Battle pug is a parody of Conan the Barbarian just with a big dash of silliness. However it almost never dips into 'lol random monkeycheese' silliness, despite what the title might imply, and after introducing a gag it tends to treat it seriously in the world. Won an Eisner award.

Those are the ones I'd consider good, rather than just "good for a webcomic". I got a lot of those if you're interested.

Battlepug sounds cool

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

This is, against all odds, the correct answer. The farce chapter on the boat is probably the hardest I've ever laughed at a webcomic.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Completely trivial, but in the first page the female character corrects one of the pugs saying
“Puppies, like Colfax and I”, saying it should be “like Colfax and me”.
English is a second language for me. I know ‘I’ sometimes is replaced with ‘me’ in current English, even when the pronoun is the subject in a sentence. I’ve been corrected on my use of ‘X and I’ or ‘X and me’ by native speakers, inconsistently of the function of the function in the sentence; I would defer to the native speaker.

But in this case: is ‘Colfax and I’ not the subject of a new sentence, instead of the object of the word ‘like’? I see ‘like’ not as a verb, but as a comparative noun (this is what google tells me a vergelijkend naamwoord is called); if you would extend the sentence it would be: “like Colfax and I are”.

I get that is the dumbest thing to ask about in a comics thread. But if been corrected so inconsistently about this, this comic is making me feel like I’ve been gaslit by a score of agresively pedantic Anglos

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Such Fun posted:

Completely trivial, but in the first page the female character corrects one of the pugs saying
English is a second language for me. I know ‘I’ sometimes is replaced with ‘me’ in current English, even when the pronoun is the subject in a sentence. I’ve been corrected on my use of ‘X and I’ or ‘X and me’ by native speakers, inconsistently of the function of the function in the sentence; I would defer to the native speaker.

But in this case: is ‘Colfax and I’ not the subject of a new sentence, instead of the object of the word ‘like’? I see ‘like’ not as a verb, but as a comparative noun (this is what google tells me a vergelijkend naamwoord is called); if you would extend the sentence it would be: “like Colfax and I are”.

I get that is the dumbest thing to ask about in a comics thread. But if been corrected so inconsistently about this, this comic is making me feel like I’ve been gaslit by a score of agresively pedantic Anglos

Bad news: no one knows or cares and are just saying what sounds right to their ears.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Brewmaster posted:

Same.

Rice Boy and Order of Tales are early webcomics set in a unique fantasy world - Rice Boy can be kind of dreamlike and surreal at times, while Order of Tales is more grounded. Technically Order of Tales is a prequel, but the stories are unrelated aside from some reappearing characters. The artist's current comic, Vattu is an incredibly good story about colonialism and culture and also has amazing art, still ongoing.

Nature of Nature's Art is a collection of long, philosophical comics about animals doing martial arts, drawn with a 20 year old browser based program originally designed for japanese message boards. It's probably not for everyone, but it's got a clear artistic vision and I can guarantee you won't find anything else like it anywhere on the internet.

A lesson Is Learned But The Damage Is Irreversible is sort of like Dresden Codak, but good

Also another endorsement for Øyvind Thorsby's works - in addition to the webcomics, he also made a pretty fun adventure game

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Brewmaster posted:

Same.

Narbonic is about mad science and ridiculousness. It's got a creator's commentary alongside each strip, which you can turn off if you want to.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
I don't know if it is really a webcomic but The Creeps is great.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Such Fun posted:

In general, to native English speaking people, the easiest way to sound "correct" is to imagine the sentence without the other person. "Tony and I went to the store" > "I went to the store". "Do you want to go with Bob and me?" > "Do you want to go with me?" If you swap around "me" and "I" in the above sentences, they sound wrong. "Me went to the store" sounds like caveman talk and "Do you want to go with I?" sounds weird. If someone I knew talked like that I'd assume it was them goofing around.

As stated though:

Arrhythmia posted:

Bad news: no one knows or cares and are just saying what sounds right to their ears.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great

Brewmaster posted:

Same.

It's been all but scrubbed from the internet when the author got real depressed, but my GOAT web comic is Pictures For Sad Children.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe

RJWaters2 posted:

It's been all but scrubbed from the internet when the author got real depressed, but my GOAT web comic is Pictures For Sad Children.

It's all archived, just google "pictures for sad children archive". It'll come up on imgur or whatever.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
A bit off topic, but since Dr McNinja's Chris Hastings was recently mentioned, I gotta plug a newish DnD podcast called Rude Tales of Magic, for those of you into that kind of thing. He plays a character in a campaign DM'ed by Swan Boy's Branson Reese. It is hilarious.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Was the Kickstarter printing of pictures for sad children that lead to the book burning the first run of the book? I don't remember the Kickstarter but I think I have a physical copy.

I thought I had lost all my scary go round books in a move but they turned up a decade later. I spent a lot of after school job money getting the first one with a personalized sketch.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great

Quad posted:

It's all archived, just google "pictures for sad children archive". It'll come up on imgur or whatever.

Oh, you're right.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Fools Infinite posted:

Was the Kickstarter printing of pictures for sad children that lead to the book burning the first run of the book? I don't remember the Kickstarter but I think I have a physical copy.

I thought I had lost all my scary go round books in a move but they turned up a decade later. I spent a lot of after school job money getting the first one with a personalized sketch.

It was actually the kickstarter for Sad Pictures for Children, the second book of comic. It has a dead wasp in a container embedded in the cover. Partway through shipping, they had their breakdown and threatened to burn a copy of the paid-for book every time someone asked where their copy was. A pile was burned before Max Temkin got involved and finished the shipping, and the person formerly known as John Campbell eventually demanded a living wage from everyone, and AFAIK, vanished from the internet.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

CzarChasm posted:

"Do you want to go with I?" sounds weird.

This actually just makes you sound like you're way too into reggae.

Shy and Shameless
Jul 15, 2015

Raised by birbs
Completed / Near-completed Webcomics

Starslip Crisis
Starshift Crisis (changed to Starslip later in the story) is a sci-fi comedy comic about the crew of the battlecruiser-turned-art museum Fuseli: fussy, pompous Curator Vanderbeam, his inexplicable alien assistant Mr. Jinx, the pirate navigator Cutter, and the flustered engineer Holiday. 2005 - 2012

Schlock Mercenary
Another sci-fi comedy strip, with a space opera vibe to it as it continues. VERY long, but in its final chapter. Follows the exploits of mercenary company Tagon's Toughs. The artwork starts... as not the best, but the writing is solid from the get-go, and the art does improve over time. Snappy writing, good universe building, and posted seven days a week without a single missed day. 2000 - 2020 (est).

Ugly Hill (patreon re-posting)
Selected Ugly Hill strips from Wayback Machine
A long-lost comic from the days of Blank Label, Ugly Hill finds the reader in Ugly Hill, a small monster town, as we're introduced to: Eli the slacker, his brother the VERY high strung Kilgore, the mooch and layabout Snug, and Peter the intern. Starts with solid gags, and quickly develops into an engaging overarching story with a really satisfying finish. 2005 - 2009
Behind a patreon paywall for up through strip 600 of 900 (with a re-post of a previously lost strip every day), but there are a few out through the Wayback Machine.

Axe Cop
A surreal trip through the imagination of a five-year-old, Axe Cop drops you into the madness strip 1. Axe Cop and his friend/adopted brother end up going through a variety of bizarre non-sequitur adventures with the ultimate goal of Axe Cop being CHOPPING OFF BAD GUYS'S HEADS. Also became an animated series on Fox for a short time, too.
2010-2017

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Jesus Christ don't recommend Shlock. Tell them to read Sluggy Freelance while you're at it.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Demon's Mirror is done and good. Author is currently doing A Better Place which is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Ssssenpai!:blush: