Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Zzulu posted:

Does it really cost 10k to give birth in america though because that is absurd

I've heard people say they were charged up to $40k in new york. It varies hospital-by-hospital and there's essentially no way to know what you'll be charged.

edit: you can sometimes contest the charges, although the charges themselves and the insurance rules are so opaque they're essentially impossible to figure out on your own. I spent hours trying to find actual concrete details of what my current plan covers and couldn't find anything. And you can also simply not pay. It takes a while before you get in trouble... but there's no way of knowing how long, really.

Polo-Rican has issued a correction as of 19:58 on Dec 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Polo-Rican posted:

I've heard people say they were charged up to $40k in new york. It varies hospital-by-hospital and there's essentially no way to know what you'll be charged.

My hospital charged us $30k, I paid $5k ish out of pocket because of my wonderful high deductible plan.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2018/04/23/a-typical-american-birth-costs-as-much-as-delivering-a-royal-baby

quote:

Plans found that the average fee for such a delivery in the United States was $10,808. That rises to roughly $30,000 after accounting for care given before and after a pregnancy

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/1201986311432765440

quote:

But the money-saving recommendations the consultants came up with made some career ICE workers uncomfortable. They proposed cuts in spending on food for migrants, as well as on medical care and supervision of detainees, according to interviews with people who worked on the project for both ICE and McKinsey and 1,500 pages of documents obtained from the agency after ProPublica filed a lawsuit under the Freedom of Information Act.

The consulting team became so driven to save money, people involved in the project say, that consultants sometimes ignored — and even complained to agency managers about — ICE workers who said that McKinsey’s cost-cutting proposals risked jeopardizing the health and safety of migrants.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zzulu posted:

Does it really cost 10k to give birth in america though because that is absurd

My dad told the bill collectors to repo me

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
So what do poors do? Do they just end up in infinite debt?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Yes.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i got my foot cut off in an accident and all it cost my family was 500k

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Zzulu posted:

So what do poors do? Do they just end up in infinite debt?

between schooling, housing, lack of public transportation, credit cards, smartphones, and medical costs + insurance, america is fully designed to immediately trap you into debt and keep you there forever

most people are in debt. even most "well off" people are thousands of dollars in credit card debt

Serf
May 5, 2011

a long time ago in ludowici, georgia they had a single light at the one intersection in town. the sheriff attached a switch to the light and would post up in the gas station, which had a clear view for a mile down the road. he would wait until someone was right on the light before switching it over to red and one of his deputies would pull them over and fine them $40. it got so bad that the governor lester maddox, racist piece of poo poo that he was, paid for a billboard to be put up outside the town to warn people

that is america

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I mean this is nit-picky and I wasn't verifying anything I wrote just going off of what I remember 11 years ago when I was a dumb teen rolling on weekends. But -
  • I didn't say either public option or single payer, I said universal healthcare, for simplicity.
  • Public option was in the bill during debates and was removed. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_health_insurance_option
  • My mistake. Abortion coverage in the ACA was the executive order, the rest through reconciliation yes
i'm just emphasizing the point that the public option was never a serious option on the table and this had absolutely nothing to do with the republicans b/c the democrats fully controlled the process as a party since they had congressional supermajorities and the presidency

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Serf posted:

a long time ago in ludowici, georgia they had a single light at the one intersection in town. the sheriff attached a switch to the light and would post up in the gas station, which had a clear view for a mile down the road. he would wait until someone was right on the light before switching it over to red and one of his deputies would pull them over and fine them $40. it got so bad that the governor lester maddox, racist piece of poo poo that he was, paid for a billboard to be put up outside the town to warn people

that is america

In Kansas refusing a breathalyzer automatically slaps you with the penalties of a DUI. It was well known that there was a town where the sheriff would pull people over about 10 miles out of town and accuse them of driving drunk. Being ten miles out most people would refuse to get taken back to the station for a bullshit breathalyzer.

It never held up under challenge in court, but the entire model was based upon most people not wanting to waste time, and hire a lawyer and drive 40 miles back there to fight it in court.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

comedyblissoption posted:

i'm just emphasizing the point that the public option was never a serious option on the table and this had absolutely nothing to do with the republicans b/c the democrats fully controlled the process as a party since they had congressional supermajorities and the presidency

Ah, yeah, cheers. Good call

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

The_Franz posted:

strung out, overworked doctors with six figures of medical school debt

also when you graduate med school you start your residency where you work 100+ hour weeks at ~$10/hr and get to start paying off ~$300k in loans for years and years

btw residencies are funded through medicaid and yet hospitals just can't figure out how to pay residents even as much as the orderlies for this work

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I think around $15k is your average for a single baby, vaginal delivery, no complications, out of the hospital in 2 or 3 days.

One you start adding variables like twins, c-section, etc the price skyrockets up. God help you if your baby needs time in the nic u

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
also if you go in after starting labor, no inductions or anything like an epidural needed

so, lol

also mothers from other countries are routinely horrified to learn how quickly we kick new moms outta the hospital in freedomland

Serf
May 5, 2011

they also don't tell you about the cost up front. i know tons of people who had no idea there was a cost associated with having a kid at all. and if you think about it, purely from a propagation of the species point of view, monetizing the birth of children is an astoundingly bad idea. which is why they don't tell you

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
our capitalist society has monetized the poo poo outta births and deaths

as in, the functionary parts of it, not just marketing products and services to those affected. like, basic poo poo like getting the babby outta you or safely disposing of the corpse

i'm frankly surprised the state still allows people to get courthouse married for less than a hundo

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

It's disgusting!

Serf
May 5, 2011

the fact that it costs money to die is the most dystopian poo poo. that's why when its my time i'm just gonna deep into the woods and eat a bullet so that the critters get me

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Serf posted:

the fact that it costs money to die is the most dystopian poo poo. that's why when its my time i'm just gonna deep into the woods and eat a bullet so that the critters get me

By the time you die, there may not be critters left.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Serf posted:

they also don't tell you about the cost up front. i know tons of people who had no idea there was a cost associated with having a kid at all. and if you think about it, purely from a propagation of the species point of view, monetizing the birth of children is an astoundingly bad idea. which is why they don't tell you

Capitalism is very big on short term gains for long term pains you say?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Serf posted:

This is the only valid reason to own a gun.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Serf posted:

My dad has been saying this for years and as he gets older he becomes more and more serious about it. His plan is to dig a grave first, though.

Serf
May 5, 2011

when my grandma died she planned to donate her body to science explicitly so that we wouldn't have to pay for anything, but she did the paperwork wrong and thus we had to choose between dropping a couple thousand on a coffin and burial or a couple hundred on cremation

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Serf posted:

Here is your bill for the search and rescue operation that was ultimately deemed unnecessary, and the administrative fees for processing the special paperwork needed to declare someone properly dead without a body.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I"m going to die with no known next of kin, so I'll be cremated and kept on file for a few years before being dumped in a big hole with all the other unclaimed bodies, and all my stuff will be auctioned off in a lot.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Shame Boy posted:

Here is your bill for the search and rescue operation that was ultimately deemed unnecessary, and the administrative fees for processing the special paperwork needed to declare someone properly dead without a body.

they can send the bill to joe taxpayer because i'm leaving nothing behind

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Serf posted:

they can send the bill to joe taxpayer because i'm leaving nothing behind

In a cost-cutting measure due to all the unnecessary search and rescue operations, we've outsourced SAR to private contractors for only 300% of what it currently costs, to be paid for by sales tax for some reason.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

We're sorry, we hate to interrupt
But its against the law to jump off this bridge
You'll just have to kill yourself somewhere else
The tourists might see you and we wouldn't want that

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

also mothers from other countries are routinely horrified to learn how quickly we kick new moms outta the hospital in freedomland
In fairness, our infection rates are so bad, this is probably for the best.

Also, on the costs of giving birth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tct38KwROdw

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Imagine if your corpse gets a bunch of news coverage and becomes the emergency search and rescue equivalent of Reagan's welfare queen story, held up as an example of something supposedly happening all the time and a reason why we need to defund vital services.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1202297479556993024

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
so should i give birth in shed? somehow get a birth certificate??

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
no wonder hollistic home births are so popular in your country lol

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

Did the Australians figuring out how to deport aboriginals come up here

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

hahahhaha, having kids when you know all yhis stuff. oh wow. hahhahhahhahhaa

Serf
May 5, 2011

probably best to stop having kids until after the revolution

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I'm going to die in a civilized country where you don't go into debt to corporations if you choose to procreate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

you will lose them if you work too much as well

but the system already did that